It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova about to give Earth a second sun.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
those few weeks of constant sunlight would be interesting. watching society deal with extreme sleep deprivation.
auto accident rates would sky rocket.

would the second sun require extra sun block?
I'm betting it would.

And where i live this happens every summer.
Funnily enough it dosent cause insomnia or auto accidents.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 0R10N

Wow that would be insane...reminds me of the book of eli where everyone had to wear sunglasses out in the daytime...i dont think they ever said why in the movie though. this topic is just too strange!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Thanks for the info! Didn't know that the neutrinos arrive before the explosion, i always thought that the energy that exerts from its sides are made up of neutrinos. That might be a possibility as to why they are talking about it a lot more now, because there might be an increase in neutrinos that are hitting Earth? .

Also, what i mean is if there is a colossal sized comet, or ROGUE planet(aka Nibiru (Not a believer
) ) that is too big to be destroyed and is currently in an unidentified orbit around our solar system or at least close enough to be affected by the force once it actually gets in our "neighborhood"? Just wondering....

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well anything that would be in or around our solar system would be unaffected, there would be no blast wave to change anythings course. It's just too far away.

For a bit of perspective I have linked to a lesson that can be taught in schools using basketballs and fruit etc... the last bit is really what may give some perspective of just how far these distances are.
www.ehow.com...

Finally, to give scale to the galaxy, explain to the class that the next nearest star, Alpha Centauri, would be an additional four thousand miles away (try to find a geographic destination about four thousand miles away ahead of time, like London or a city in Hawaii depending on your location).

Now that's just talking about Alpha Centauri which is only 4.3ish light years away, Betelgeuse is another 600 odd LY away further than that. So roughly using that same maths (4x1000= 4000) So if our Sun and Betelgeuse were basketballs they would be about 640,000 miles apart which is just under 3 times the distance of our moon away. Now if a basketball blew up that distance away from us you would hardly notice it.
Of course these are rough estimates and someone will probably be more accurate but it's a good guidline to understand the distances involved.
Or to scale it down further using grains of sand it would be like a grain of sand exploding 600 miles away, but I'm not sure about that, I'm just going by something I saw the other day saying if Alpha Centauri was a grain of sand it would be 4 or 5 miles away so I'm just rounding it up to Betelgeuse.
edit on 21-1-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Well anything that would be in or around our solar system would be unaffected, there would be no blast wave to change anythings course. It's just too far away.

Untrue. "Blast waves" aside, there would be plenty of effects on our solar system, ranging from neutrino and/or cosmic ray interaction with our sun (yes, sometimes neutrinos DO interact with things) and our own atmosphere, to cosmic rays and x-rays, all of which would have varying levels of effect, none of which would be a big deal, but they would affect us, nonetheless. Cosmic rays will also interact with certain bodies nearby us that contain certain elements and the reaction produces gamma rays, so yes, we do still have a (very small) risk of gamma rays.

So if our Sun and Betelgeuse were basketballs they would be about 640,000 miles apart which is just under 3 times the distance of our moon away. Now if a basketball blew up that distance away from us you would hardly notice it.
Of course these are rough estimates and someone will probably be more accurate but it's a good guidline to understand the distances involved.

WAY rough estimates. If BG is the basketball, the Earth would be about the size of a grain of sand or smaller. Furthermore, a basketball blowing up would not exhibit the same properties as a nuclear-reacting supergiant star----the comparison is not valid.
edit on 21-1-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

The solar system is constantly bombarded by these rays, it would be of no real effect to us than normal. It certainly is not got to create major changes to our solar system. It is simply too far away.

And as I said, it was a rough guideline to show distance more than anything else, used to teach school children and to help people comprehend it. Of course it's valid if the ball went supernova.
Regardless, if it happens we will get a pretty light in the sky for bit and the start of a new nebula. It will be closer than our nearest nebula the Helix nebula but not by much, that is estimated to be 10,600 years old and it didn't destroy the Earth.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

The solar system is constantly bombarded by these rays, it would be of no real effect to us than normal. It certainly is not got to create major changes to our solar system. It is simply too far away.

I would invite you to read this and then consider this:

The "SN 2003fg" was discovered in a forming galaxy in 2003. The appearance of this supernova was studied in "real-time", and it has posed several major physical questions as it seems more massive than the Chandrasekhar limit would allow.

(From Wiki's "History of Supernovas" article)

I believe we can't say with any real certainty, considering we've not experienced a SN this close very often (most of them have been more than a few thousand LY away) and considering BG's extreme size. We just don't know enough about SN explosions and whatnot to say "this will or will not happen." We can take pretty good educated guesses, but that's simply all they are as of the moment. We are proven "wrong" and "incomplete" about SNe all the time.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

And as I said, it was a rough guideline to show distance more than anything else, used to teach school children and to help people comprehend it. Of course it's valid if the ball went supernova.
Regardless, if it happens we will get a pretty light in the sky for bit and the start of a new nebula. It will be closer than our nearest nebula the Helix nebula but not by much, that is estimated to be 10,600 years old and it didn't destroy the Earth.

I believe and please correct me if I'm wrong,are we less protected now due to our magnetic shields being down?It seems that's been discussed or I read it somewhere that being unprotected that future solar storms could cause us more devistation,does this apply to supernovas as well?........thanks

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by matrixportal
reply to post by 0R10N

Wow that would be insane...reminds me of the book of eli where everyone had to wear sunglasses out in the daytime...i dont think they ever said why in the movie though. this topic is just too strange!
I saw that movie it was due to the changes in the sun (either a massive solar storm or what I don't remember)but most of the people were blind ,Eli was blind as well.....strange movie though

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

In a way i understand both your points, but it is really hard to know 100% what exact particles are released from a supernova not including the affect it may have on us because to this date most of it is theory, i know for a fact we haven't been able to literally take samples from an actual supernova to prove or disapprove anyones theory.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
(Sane Self) Nothing is gonna happen. It won't go super nova anytime soon!
(Alter self) But yes it is. I just read it. I swear and...... I'm scared.
(Sane Self) Bu bu but, it says right HERE...it won't!! Get a grip!
(Alter Self) It surely is going to explode. Why'd I build an underground bunker then?
(Sane Self) Because you're an idiot and you believe everything you read.
(Alter Self) Now wait a minute................

Oh my gawd!!!! Can someone please direct me to the padded cell area of ATS asap?

The super-giant red star Betelgeuse in Orion’s nebula is predicted to cataclysmically explode, and the impending supernova may even reach Earth -- someday.

But will it happen by 2012, as recent news reports suggest? Probably not, experts told FoxNews.com. While the second biggest star in the universe is strangely losing mass -- and has already become a red giant, meaning it is destined to explode and become a supernova -- there's no reason to believe that it will happen anytime soon.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
THIS WAS PREDICTED BY BABA VANGA.

Remember???????????????

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This ought to be something to see. I also heard that Mars was gonna look like the moon cause it was so close to us last year and that never happened so im anxious to see!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Is this anything at all to do with any 'thing' at all?

I am so out of my comfort zone with all this science that I just want to post and run!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Pretty cool vid. But seriously whats up with those flashing lights in the upper right hand corner of the vid? Tripped me out!!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

ummmm... a light year is the distance that light travels in a year(in a vacuum), therefore, light coming from an object 640 light years away wil take.... 640 years to get here.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but Betelgeuse is approx. 600 light years from Earth. Wouldn't the light from such a star take at least 600 years to reach us?

Wouldn't that mean that the star would have had to go supernova more than 600 years ago, and we are only realizing it now?

Please someone correct my logic if I am wrong.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

your going to skip 14 pages and assume this hasn't been talked about multiple times?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Is this anything at all to do with any 'thing' at all?

I am so out of my comfort zone with all this science that I just want to post and run!

For starters, I wouldn't put too much stock into the "Solar Plasma Rain Is Falling" video. There is no time-stamp or other dates or times to enhance the credibility of the video. So the potential of being "stock footage" exists which cannot be verified from which the video came from.

Sticking a name and ominous message to an "average" solar video of the sun seems much like someone trying to seek attention or just plain fear-mongering.

Also, I searched on the internet for "Sun Plasma Rain" and no links with any credible source was listed. There were YouTube links, which those seem "spurious," at best.

I wouldn't really put-too-much into this video, unless the source is verified as being anything other than what it is "titled."

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
for give for not reading the hole thread but from page 11 to this last one no one has said a thing about the possibility of a black hole, if it is in this thread then i will say no more.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join