It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bowing to the Chinese President

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich
I for one find it very offensive to have the American President literally 'bending over' for the President of China. I have even read that most world leaders are actually ashamed for the people of the United States every time they see Obama behaving like this before these people. The way this man shames us is just disgusting. And then to make it even worse.. He's humiliating us like this in Washington D.C - on American soil he's bowing!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a2d3b789c1e5.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 17-1-2011 by EssenSieMich because: add

I tend not to be offensive on this forum, when i do it's usually meant in an ironic way.
But now i tend to get offensive in a non-ironical way indeed. (will try to refrain myself).

But this kind of talk is exactly what is wrong with you ignorent americans i.m.o.

Obama is showing his respect for the president of the 2nd most powerfull nation.
The same respect he deserves when visiting a forein country.

You americans tend to think we (the rest of the world) should bow down and suck your test..kels clean for you.
This post is humiliating to us (the rest of the world) plaese remove it all together

thank you!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Lesson in bow style. This is no humour
edit on 19-1-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

They take it seriously

edit on 19-1-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: examples

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
THe clear ignorance and misunderstanding of other cultures in the world is the reason this is even being posted. Its probably this guys way of covert racism . These are the type of people who panic over nothing and flock to walmart and buy everything from birdseed to duck tape to save themeselves from the end of the world.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
This again? He did this once before and people took offense for some unknown and silly reason. You guys, bowing in China is a sign of respect! Not a sign of submission! It is the same thing as shaking hands here.

Really, get over it. He showed respect to a human being. If you find that offensive... Well, then, shame on you.

I hope he continues to show respect to his fellow man.

Excellent points. For those not aware, in their proper form, bowing and shaking hands are one and the same - a sign of respect and trust. Shaking hands signified your sword hand was free and you were not planning to attack, bowing means you trust the other person enough that they will not attack as you are not in a position to defend yourself, hence the lower the bow, the more the trust - modern etiqutte seems to have moved away from this though.
Same thing, just the custom grew in a different way in two cultures. It is not a sign of subservience in this manner.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic_al

People need to realize that China does not own the United States. No one does. In fact, over 75% of our debt is held in US interests. If anyone owns the US its American Corporations. A few years back Japan owned more US debt than anyone, and even after 6 years China has only bought about 80 billion in US debt.. A far cry from the massive amounts of debt that so many uneducated folks seem to believe China owns. The relation we have with China is extremely important. As much as people don't want to hear it.. China is a superpower and so too is the US. The two largest powers in the world whether you want to agree with that or not. I'd imagine those that disagree are the same ones crying out that China owns the US. Obama isn't bowing out of submission, Obama is bowing out of respect. China is helping us make it through a hard economic drop and we are helping them by being their largest consumer, no competition. The American dollar has dropped in value significantly since 9/11 and the housing bubble burst and that is the first sign for other countries to buy up our debt. When we pay them back, they are going to make back their money plus a lot more. As the value of the dollar raises, so does the value you of their debt ownership. The percentage and the number don't. The exchange rate does. Obama is showing the respect that China's or any world leader deserves. I'm glad so many people think they are foreign relations experts. We are damn lucky that you aren't the people we have to represent the United States in such affairs.

Do some research. The numbers don't lie. It took me 5 minutes to find three sources.

Excerpt from 2005

At the end of 2005, China, with $820 billion in such assets, was the second-largest holder of U.S. debt after Japan, which held about $10 billion more.

Source

Excerpt from 2011

Of the international lenders, China is owed the most, just under $900 billion. But with America’s debt approaching $14 trillion, that’s not even 7% in Chinese hands.

Source

Mostly updated list of national debt held by foreign interests from the governments Treasury website.
2010 US Debt Ownership by foreign countries

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Wow! That is great back ground info.
Thanks for that

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11PB11

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
Everyone is different. Even though I don't support President Obama (I'm a Capitalist) I believe it's his way of showing respect to another leader. Maybe he believes that the Chinese leaders will respect his gestures.

No offense but youre missing the point.

American presidents bow to no one. America is the country that people look up to no matter what the other countries culture are. We don't bow because of who we are. It is that simple. But Obama is not a true American and doesn't understand what America stands for. Thats the truth.

Say's who? America? Why shouldn't he respect another country when dealing in global affairs. After all, isn't the bow just the Chinese way of greeting one another? How is it any different to a handshake in Western culture.

The fact that Obama is showing some respect regardless of his power is something that you may need to think about. Acting the big and mighty, 'I bow to nobody' will do America no favours whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Originally posted by 11PB11

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
Everyone is different. Even though I don't support President Obama (I'm a Capitalist) I believe it's his way of showing respect to another leader. Maybe he believes that the Chinese leaders will respect his gestures.

No offense but youre missing the point.

American presidents bow to no one. America is the country that people look up to no matter what the other countries culture are. We don't bow because of who we are. It is that simple. But Obama is not a true American and doesn't understand what America stands for. Thats the truth.

Say's who? America? Why shouldn't he respect another country when dealing in global affairs. After all, isn't the bow just the Chinese way of greeting one another? How is it any different to a handshake in Western culture.

The fact that Obama is showing some respect regardless of his power is something that you may need to think about. Acting the big and mighty, 'I bow to nobody' will do America no favours whatsoever.

Respect is a concept some clearly just don't understand.

Is he kidding with "America is the country that people look up to no matter what the other countries culture are."?
Man you try and tell that to 2/3 of the world.

I truelly believe that all the points that have been made after mister nutjob opened this topic have just flown over this persons head.
IMaybe it is better to just close this piece of poop of a thread and just ignore people like that from now on.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Uhh it's a sign of respect genius. The chinese bow and we shake hands, that's it, get over it. Are the chinese people whining about the fact that their president shook hands? Not that I've heard. Why do people try to make something out of nothing??

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It doesn't surprise me at all that this scumbag is bending over for china's President. he bends over for many other leaders of countries that hate us cause he hates the USA as well. Bend over some more dumbama!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sbc650mike

you are an ignorant moron....you need to bend over to.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich
I for one find it very offensive to have the American President literally 'bending over' for the President of China. I have even read that most world leaders are actually ashamed for the people of the United States every time they see Obama behaving like this before these people. The way this man shames us is just disgusting. And then to make it even worse.. He's humiliating us like this in Washington D.C - on American soil he's bowing!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a2d3b789c1e5.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 17-1-2011 by EssenSieMich because: add

Oh my god the pure arrogance and ignorance of this post is incredible!

Obama isn't Kowtowing in submission he's bowing as a sign of respect (although misguided as bowing is not commonly practiced in China as it is in Japan and other East Asian countries)

It's called respect of other people and their cultures. The Chinese tend not to shake hands however to show respect of Obama and respect of Americas cultures the chinese premier has shaken hands with him, mutual respect, it's something you should probably learn about.

Take the time to study other cultures and you will probably find aspects that are much better than your own close minded views, the whole world doesn't revolve around America.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Victoria 1
It doesn't surprise me at all that this scumbag is bending over for china's President. he bends over for many other leaders of countries that hate us cause he hates the USA as well. Bend over some more dumbama!

Seriously?
What kind of educational system do you people have overthere?
Don't they teach you about other cultures, countries and customs?
Or is it just pointing at the map and saying "This is the USA, WE 'RE NUMBER 1!!!"

This is nothing more then showing repect, it is a cultural thing.
Man how difficult is it to understand this?
I am starting to believe some people just dont want to understand it and are content in wallowing in their hate for everything that isn't as they are. The Nazis where like that to you know.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think Obama has the right idea. There is nothing to be ashamed of in respecting other leaders. Americans can be so arrogant. (I am an American, BTW)

The USA is not the World Police!

Let's stop bullying people and flexing our muscles, eh?

Let's sit down and have a nice state dinner with a world leader for a change, instead of giving them orders and threats.

Sheesh people.

Other countries are fascinating. We can learn from these countries. We can make a better world together. I'm not talking about a Utopia or "Heaven on Earth", and I'm not trying to "usher in the NWO agenda with one-world currency and mark of the beast on everyone headz0rz!!! OMG!!"

... all I am saying is that it is nice to see a president who respects world leaders. Draw a line in the sand, and don't back down if they cross it, but until then let's be cordial, humble, and respectful of one another.

Cheers,
Cody

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

/Sarcasm on

Gosh we would not want to show respect for anyone in the manner of their culture, how unamerican!

/Sarcasm off

In France if Obama kissed another man on each cheek would you say.

A: Obama is Gay
B: Obama is showing weakness
C: Obama is pandering to other cultures
D: All of the above

Personally I would say he is being a diplomat.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Obama disrespects Americans to respect China? Screw respect! Americans bow to NO MAN, this goes against our basic morals. King, Queen, dictator, does not matter which, it is what Americas fought against in the Revolution and many other wars.

No mater how you look at it Communism is our enemy and each one of these leaders have you bow too show that they are superior to you.

Key concepts in understanding Chinese culture:

The Chinese usually do not like to do business with strangers, and will make frequent use of go-betweens. Whenever possible, try to use established relationships, or an intermediary known by both sides, to make the first contact
Chinese prefer to be formally introduced to someone new. This applies to both Chinese and foreigners.
The Chinese may seem unfriendly when being introduced. They are taught not to show excessive emotion, thus the reference to Chinese and other Asians as inscrutable.
Always stand up when being introduced and remain standing throughout the introductions.
When being introduced to Chinese, the accepted form of greeting is the handshake, even among Chinese. Chinese may also nod or slightly bow (Unlike the Japanese, the Chinese bow from the shoulders rather than the waist). One would then present a business card.

www.protocolprofessionals.com...

edit on 19-1-2011 by blangger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Deny Ignorance, right?

How is this topic allowed to exist, and not be considered political trolling?
Just another day as a mod, and another day of letting our political discourse sink to the level of The Real Housewives of ATS.

This site. and most of the people on it are a joke.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by blangger

Misquote to further fuel your own blind patritiotic beliefs much?

The line below that clearly states

Chinese may also nod or slightly bow (Unlike the Japanese, the Chinese bow from the shoulders rather than the waist).

Have you even ever left the shores of the US? That might explain the lack of knowledge of all the US Subservient countries that you think exist.

There is absolutely no disrespect to Americans in Obamas gesture he's just being polite, something, it appears, that a lot of people need to learn.

This has nothing to do with "the revolution" or communism it is a simple meeting of two world leaders shaking hands as you would with anyone that you met (as long as they were American eh blangger
)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective1

Originally posted by Victoria 1

Seriously?
What kind of educational system do you people have overthere?
Don't they teach you about other cultures, countries and customs?
Or is it just pointing at the map and saying "This is the USA, WE 'RE NUMBER 1!!!"

This is nothing more then showing repect, it is a cultural thing.
Man how difficult is it to understand this?
I am starting to believe some people just dont want to understand it and are content in wallowing in their hate for everything that isn't as they are. The Nazis where like that to you know.

The state of my nation makes me sad, its only getting worse, and there is nothing I can do about it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
In far eastern cultures bowing is a sign of respect and if the person you meet is older than you it is insulting NOT to bow.

So had Obama not bowed this would be worse than refusing a handshake. Now how would folks here react if the US president was refused a handshake !?!?!?!?!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join