It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the tyrants of the Arab world...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

To the tyrants of the Arab world...

english.aljazeera.net

The Tunisian uprising, which succeeded in toppling Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, the Tunisian president, has brought down the walls of fear, erected by repression and marginalisation, thus restoring the Arab peoples' faith in their ability to demand social justice and end tyranny.

It is a warning to all leaders, whether supported by international or regional powers, that they are no longer immune to popular outcries of fury.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

The failure of one of the Arab world's most repressive security forces to quell people power has been met with jubilation. Bloggers have compared the event to the fall of the Berlin wall, suggesting that it will usher in a new era in which the Arab people will have a greater say in determining their future.

Mohamed Bouazizi, the young Tunisian who set himself on fire in protest against unemployment and poverty, has become a symbol of Tunisian sacrifices for freedom.

I don’t want to hear any more people on ATS talk about how much they love freedom and how they want to see tyranny end. If you talk about that without even giving any support to the revolution in Tunisia you are a hypocrite, plain and simple. So stop calling for people around the world to ‘wake up’ because when they do you simply ignore them.

This could be the equivalent to the fall of the Berlin Wall if enough solidarity is shown to the people of Tunisia and their efforts at overthrowing tyranny.

So far now in the Arab/Berber world we have protests/tension in Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Lebanon. Sudan is set up for a possible civil war and there were also protests in Israel.

If, and that is a big IF, the Tunisians can pull this revolution off and successfully win their freedom then expect this to spread like the plague across the Arab world deposing of tyrants or forcing dramatic reforms.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The BBC had some commentators on from other African states (not in your list) who back up your assumption of what may happen next in not only the countries you listed but also a majority of African states, as they too are watching these events unfold with great interest.

I'll see if I can get a link for you.. very interesting take on where things are going

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It's what follows that bears watching..
Who will lead and what will they do..

I think it's great news that people power has been shown and I do hope it leads to similar events where rogue Governments ignore the people's wishes..

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
One certainly does wonder who will be next. It is about high time the people fought back, and toppled thier corrupted Governments. Just a pitty us in Countries such as the UK and other countries in the West do no follow thier example, and rid ourselves of our corrupt politicians once and for all.

And for the record I support those people in Tunisia in thier Revolution. Lets just hope One corrupt Government is isnt replaced by another.
edit on 17-1-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I don't know about the other countries you've listed but local news have been going on non stop about Lebanon and Tunisia till yesterday.
It's really sad that there isn't a huge global support for these people in times of crisis such as these. Same thing happened in the elections over at Iran some time ago, and more people seem interested to prove the whole ordeal is a US/Israeli propaganda rather being interested at how the events started.

There is a simple reason as to why this hypocrisy happens and I'll say why at the end of the post.

Originally posted by Misoir
I don’t want to hear any more people on ATS talk about how much they love freedom and how they want to see tyranny end. If you talk about that without even giving any support to the revolution in Tunisia you are a hypocrite, plain and simple. So stop calling for people around the world to ‘wake up’ because when they do you simply ignore them.

This paragraph right here can sum up ATS of the last years.

People don't care when other people 'wake up' as long as it does not meet their agenda. A person that is pissed at the US government will not care the slightest about the suffering in Tunisia and the rebellion against tyrants elsewhere in the world.

This is why such news that seemingly have nothing to do with the US/Israel don't get much attention.
Most people simply don't consider 'waking up' to be anything else besides devoting most of your free time to rant against US/Israel/Zionism/The west.

This is the truth, and people who are at fault here will know they are after reading this.. problem is they will never admit it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see similar sentiments here in the UK soon.
The way our government is going on Health, Education, Business, Banking and everything else, the protests will continue and they will try to clamp down on it. That clamp down (which they've already begun by implementing restriction on protests in London) will cause a backlash.

I can certainly see this spreading to other Arab nations. Not only because of the people, but there are certain places where it suits the west, so we will certainly have our "players" in there mixing things up and encouraging the dissent.

The problem is that not all nations will be as easy to topple as Tunisia. They became complacent and let their guard down.
The people become aware of democratic rights and their deserved freedom through being open to the rest of the world. So I would assume the most westernized Arab nations will be the first to see an angry public. But other nations are wealthier and have more to loose, those governments will not be easy to remove. They will not hesitate to send tanks into the streets at the first sign of protest.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Looks like homegirl cleaned out the bank:

www.cnbc.com...

Ex Tunisia President's Wife Left with 1.5 Tons of Gold: Report

I guess that's what we can expect...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Good subject. It's being overlooked by ats imo.

I saw the reports about Tunisia yesterday and was puzzled i didn't see it anywhere on ATS. But aha I found it.

I got a few updates through the day. I will look for some more current info while I have dinner in a few minutes, I am curious what international reaction will be to this.

There are tons of revolts that get ignored. Pretty ironic.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
Looks like homegirl cleaned out the bank:

www.cnbc.com...

Ex Tunisia President's Wife Left with 1.5 Tons of Gold: Report

I guess that's what we can expect...

Why doesn't InterPol arrest them for this criminal theft?

And bring them to an International Court?

And return the stolen goods to their rightful owners, the Tunisian people?

If this is true it's criminal for sure.

(I am not saying we need InterPol , I am saying they are useless when you actually need them). In reality each individual nation's authority should be able to fairly apprehend and bring the situation to justice. I am not saying we need International Courts either, just pointing out their ineffectiveness.
edit on 17-1-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
ALL OF NATO combined is no match for....

THE PEOPLE!!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I read in another article the racket these guys were running in general... Hard to tell the difference between Presidents, PM's, Royal Princes, and that of your typical mafia thugs trying to weasel a cut.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Interpol gathers information on criminals shared by national polices and forwards arrest warrants issued by national polices in order to facilitate international cooperation. They can't make arrests and as far as I know, no sovereign country as given up this power to a foreign entity.

What will happen now in Tunisia and how the crisis will be resolved is very important. I find it still very difficult to tell if it will spread to other countries or not. Days pass and it still looks like an authentic popular riot for once.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

I believe you and I read some of the same info. Was it not her family that got heavily involved in shady dealings. Can't remember in which newspaper
Will the transition period be a long running one? What country shows up in their affairs?

join