It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you've got red hair, you may be a Neanderthal.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
JK Rowling has Neanderthal hair?

Why is it that it seems like scientists are jumping to the conclusion that the human trait for red hair is linked to an inherited trait from Neanderthals?

Now we've found out that Neanderthals shared a trait for red hair. That doesn't necessarily mean that that's where the human trait for red hair came from.
This dog has red hair. I guess we are to conclude that the canine trait for red hair came from the human gene pool. I have included this picture as proof. Plus, it must be true because I found it on the internet.

I also found a picture of this deer that shows a trait for red hair. I'm wondering, which came first? The red-haired deer or the red-haired Neanderthals?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I knew one day some other reputable source besides South Park would prove that Gingers are evil , Neanderthalish, and stuff.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

A better question would be why does it bother you? It's just another interesting discovery in Human History? People with red hair are just like everyone else.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Does this apply to Albino's in Africa too?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

jewess chelsea handler stated that red hair bothered her because of the contrasts seen about the groin area.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Why does it bother me? It doesn't. I try not to make a habit of losing sleep over absurd points of contention.
Red hair is red hair.
It comes from the red hair gene.
There, I solved the riddle.
Ta-daaaaaaaaaa

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
My brother has red hair, I have black hair brown eyes. Am I a one of these cavemen deep inside?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Seriously?
I am truly not going to think about this marvel of scientific discovery for very long...
Here I thought it came from my shamrock- covered genes

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by starless and bible black

jewess chelsea handler stated that red hair bothered her because of the contrasts seen about the groin area.

HEHE! I actually chuckled out loud

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Are you aware of the FACT that neanderthals had larger brains?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is stupid. End story here. The most tolerant and intelligent human I have ever known is a natural red-head, my lady, so peddle your eugenics somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not showing this article to Mrs. Frogs - she'll just claim that she's been right about me all these years.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't think that the study is claiming that humans inherited their trait for red hair from Neanderthals, just that Neanderthals shared similar range and proportion of hair colour and skin colour as European Homo sapiens.

Neanderthals have a bit of a bad rep, because people sometimes use the term colloquially to denote someone of low intelligence, but I don't think it should be considered insulting to be genetically linked to them.

According to this recent study, it has been suggested that many of us have 1-4% Neanderthal DNA anyway:

news.bbc.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Neanderthal genes 'survive in us'

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I'm reminded that geico intended to help along the 'isn't technology awesome' craze by portraying cavemen as being the backward sort in their choice of, among other things, wood tennis racquets. Wood racquets are superior in every way. Anyone with finesse would know this at first grasp of a chinese wonderstick. Gee, why is my elbow throbbing? Why can't anyone do a drop shot? Why do my strings break in one hour? Gosh, tennis looks like ping pong on a larger, cement table. Why not just make new rules that make it a foul to step on to the court?

I hate technology.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Thanks for the thread, but isn't hair and fur two different things? They're from different species...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
OMG, my son has red hair and he gets it from my ex-husband's side of the family! This all makes sense now!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Alexandria the Great, King David, Jesus, King Henry 8th, Leonardo D'Vinci were among many well known leaders that were red heads. They were not stupid by any means.

Those with Auburn hair are also deemed red heads.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Now that I've read all the negative comments I want to add my beliefs.

I don't readily subscribe to the out of Africa theory, and lately it's allowable to include pre-human generics when you talk about humans.

I've always suspected that we get our white skin from any of the 1000's of pre-human species. They were more like animals and therefore they would separate into new species, whereas we've all but stopped. They were diverse and some degree of our diversity could be traced back to the location of various types.

These pre-human species were about for at least a million years - all over the planet. We humans could have evolved anywhere, but the latest migrations came from around Africa which is why we all have African DNA markers.

Rather than just red hair, why not add why skin? That would be an obvious conclusion. We take on some characteristics of our pre-human brothers, so why not skin colour. In fact the red hair connection is much tougher to call.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I think some of the Egyptian Pharaohs had red hair, also, not to mention all the discoveries and inventions by Scotsmen over the years ( many of whom would no doubt have been at least part red haired or auburn ! ).

I think the problem is that people sometimes think of Neanderthals as stupid, which is unfair, so any connection that they may have with red hair would be used by people as another reason to insult red-heads.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
"we've all but stopped"

Not too sure about that. There is a definite dichotomy between city dwellers and rural people which would be telling over the course of the next 1000 years.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join