It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicking college-student seeking advice!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
For the basics for a rookie, I suggest something simple and effective. Like the Gov'ts official disaster preparation website, Ready.gov.
www.ready.gov

This will give you the basics of surviving a disaster scenario.

# 1 Get Supplies
basic list of supplies you might need

# 2 Make a Plan
tips for making emergency plans

# 3 Keep informed of the situation

Oh and I almost forgot, Do NOT panic! It only makes things worse.
edit on 6-1-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I was just waiting for THAT!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekingmyself

I look at it this way....live your life like there is no tomorrow. Make every minute count. Chances are you will live to a ripe old age honey! 99.9 percent of what you read you read is BS. Yes, it's true, something terrible could happen at any moment.....but that does not mean you should waste time worrying about it too much. If there is something you can do to change things, then by all means.... do it........ However, some things are beyond our control. Put your energy into making a difference....spend time with those you love. If there is a particular issue you worry about most, learn all you can about it....if you can actually take action on it, go at it full force....if it is something that cannot be changed....put it in a box and put it away. Life is too short, go for your dreams!

edit on 6-1-2011 by StealthyKat because: sp

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Advice???

Be more down to earth for the love of god.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekingmyself

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Before TSHTF

DON'T PANIC!
But assume the worst, and prepare for it.
Stock a 'bug-out-bag"
Purchase and learn how to use firearms.
Learn self-defense techniques.
Condition yourself to subsist on the least amount of nutrients as an exercise for when the S really does HTF.
Learn everything you can about survival in the outdoors.
MRE's are your friend
Don't forget a number of fire sources. Don't store them all in the same place in your equipment.
A shotwave radio. They have models that generate power by use of a crank. Recommended
Travel light.
Learn how to garden.

Basically, follow all the rules of Zombieland.

It's always good to have a geiger counter, just in case.
Learn how to construct Faraday cages in case of EMP.
This is the short list. You can find more detailed info in other threads as well.

After TSHTF:

Get as far away from large population centers as possible as fast as possible.
A base of operations at high elevations would be preferable for any number of reasons.

Trust no-one.

edit on 1/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: headline

I don't know what half of that stuff is. EMP? Faraday cages? Geiger counter? Bug-out bag? I'm totally screwed, aren't I?
A EMP is Electrical Magnetic Pulse

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekingmyself

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Before TSHTF

DON'T PANIC!
But assume the worst, and prepare for it.
Stock a 'bug-out-bag"
Purchase and learn how to use firearms.
Learn self-defense techniques.
Condition yourself to subsist on the least amount of nutrients as an exercise for when the S really does HTF.
Learn everything you can about survival in the outdoors.
MRE's are your friend
Don't forget a number of fire sources. Don't store them all in the same place in your equipment.
A shotwave radio. They have models that generate power by use of a crank. Recommended
Travel light.
Learn how to garden.

Basically, follow all the rules of Zombieland.

It's always good to have a geiger counter, just in case.
Learn how to construct Faraday cages in case of EMP.
This is the short list. You can find more detailed info in other threads as well.

After TSHTF:

Get as far away from large population centers as possible as fast as possible.
A base of operations at high elevations would be preferable for any number of reasons.

Trust no-one.

edit on 1/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: headline

I don't know what half of that stuff is. EMP? Faraday cages? Geiger counter? Bug-out bag? I'm totally screwed, aren't I?
A EMP is Electrical Magnetic Pulse

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
To some: Let's be a little more practical, shall we? A Faraday cage? Really? Do you need to post to the boards that bad?

Practicality rules.

Water, food, shelter, heat source (if it's anything but tropical). If things get rough, you'll need some way to defend yourself.

Above all, if things get really bad...you'll probably have to drop some ethics. It looks like you're built to barter. No offense.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
A faraday cage can be as simple as a shoe box covered in tin foil and shoved under the bed I for one want my ipod working after a solor storm of that magnatuded or even an emp attack (both are quite possible even if not probable)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'll do a whole shopping list as well as their prices
$1700-PAGST helmet with Interceptor Class IV armor
$250-Mosin Nagant & Hi-Point 9mm pistol
$250-Ammo and accessories for your weapons
$100-Camo balaclava, BDUs, and boots
$10-First Aid kit
$50?-MREs
$40-Additional small items.
^My wish list^
About $2500 in total for overall protection (except for FLIR) from TPTB & rogues. Very costly, but hey, if SHingTF is imminent, put it on a credit card!

As for radios, as some others said, do NOT get it. The gov't could be able to track you. Anything battery operated is a foe. No cameras, phones, computers, or radios. Stay offline and in the woods.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yes I am new, in the since of replying to any topics listed on this blog.

Seekingmyself, if you are looking for good advice, I would offer www.survivalblog.com... by Jim Rawles and www.survivalblog.com... for the new people. Their are thousands of categories that you can view on any topic. He also offers books to read: How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times would be my recommendation for a newbe wanting to know where to start. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Every era in our history has had the same predictions of doom and gloom spread by irrational, hysterical people and those who profit off of fear. ATS is not only here to discuss alternative topics, but also to expose the nonsense which was it's original intent. To glean fact from fiction that is.

What your seeing now, and what we saw during the Gulf Oil Spill is a classic example of irrationality and hysterical responses to current events.

At your age, which for me was the late 60's into the early 70's the same phenomena was ongoing. The only difference is it spreads faster and wider now due to the Internet. Then it was word of mouth and a plethora of books on gloom and doom scenarios. To say there is nothing new under the Sun would be an understatement.

Then it was that we were heading into an Ice Age and the Earth was cooling. The trees would be dead in 30 years and we would outgrow our food supply by now. Of course none of it ever happened, just like most things on here will never happen. We were supposed to run out of Oil by now and I was told that as a fact by a University Geology Professor in 1973 if I recall correctly. He also believed that Global Cooling would kill all the trees on Earth by now.

My advice would be to engage your critical thinking abilities, not be lead by emotion and irrationality based on others hysteria and live your life. Worry about your grades, your upcoming career and family and don't waste your life living in fear of what the future may bring.

As to preparation for survival it's a good idea to be prepared but a bad idea to let it become an obsession. Fear of the future and a constant fear that something bad is coming is a mental illness that afflicts many. It can be contagious if you don't realize what it is. You can be dragged into others fears no matter how irrational if you don't engage your brain when confronted with these scenarios.

It is the nature of ATS that most of what is discussed here is wrong. It's expected to be wrong in fact. Many of the discussions here are about topics that can't even be correctly called theories as they are based on thin air, hysteria and in some cases wishful thinking and wanting them to be true. Now and then though, a real conspiracy or important information come to light validating ATS. In my opinion of course.

With these birds it's likely a cascade effect of to much information. A local news source reports on the birds in Arkansas. It's a slow news day, so it goes national. Anything that goes national in the US gets reported all over the World. Then people jump on the Internet and start searching for anything relating to dead birds. The news people do the same thing. As a result multiple accounts of bird deaths end up in the news. Speculation and pseudo-science start and it goes viral. An information overload.

Truth is these bird deaths have likely happened all along in the same numbers but were of no interest. The reports now all combined only talk about a tiny number of deaths all together. An almost meaningless number.

For instance right after the Arkansas story, worried that what is happening now would happen, the State had a couple of people giving interviews about it. Turns out there have been 8 similar incidents in the same area over the last 20 years. It is a common event and not anything new. People ignore facts however when emotion takes over and you end up here with dozens of threads full of wild eyed theories. What I find most interesting is how people apply their own personal pet fears to whatever topic comes along. If your into HAARP, it caused it. If your into worrying about Solar Flares, they caused it. If your into 2012 this is a sign validating your theory. ...and, and, and, and.......

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
Hi Seeking,

There was a very good recent post that has awesome info for what you are seeking for

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers!

You beat me too it! I was about to give the link to the same thread! Its full of insightful information. My best advice for a lot of the material is to actually go outside and physically practice the techniques; theories & written explanations can only help so much.

As for my advice, I dont believe in the premonition for 2012, but I do believe in being prepared in general for any scenario. My recommendation would be to Remain/Get in peak physical shape because chances are you will be exerting a lot of physical energy along with mental preparation. Read the above forum and download the threads. Buy a medium sized rifle and stock up with over 500 rounds of ammunition & learn how to shoot accurately. It might sound strange but watch a lot of the shows on Discovery channel regarding survival (Survivor Man, Bear Gryls, etc) and look at their techniques. There is so much to be said for this topic, I would suggest searching for survival information on the site.

Above all...remain hopefully and motivated that someone else IS out there and that you ARE fighting for a cause. NEVER QUIT! I cant emphasize that enough, the human race has been around for longer than we probably know precisely and has overcame so much dramatic change; push on....

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I just had the most horrifying thought ... can you imagine if ATS had existed in the late sixties, or even "better," in 1970, following Kent State, JFK, RFK, MLK, Viet Nam, etc? People would literally be setting their hair on fire, selling their possessions, losing their ever-loving minds. And I know plenty did back then. But the combination of modern educational systems, instant communication, the excitement of paranoia and boredom (i.e., famine for bedlam) would be (is) like a tinderbox getting closer and closer to a blow torch.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wow, I go to class, then work, watch the basketball game and come back to a plethora of replies!

To everyone who provided links/advice....THANK YOU for taking time out of your day to help me out. I have been wanting to garden simply because I love fruits and veggies and herbs for a while now. I could start that in the spring. I think it's a good idea for anyone to be self-sufficient....in general, I have been pretty independent since it's just been my dad and I since I was young...and dads just don't quite know what to do. That being said, I mentioned all of this to my dad and he basically laughed at me. As far as a gun, I honestly do not think I could shoot another person. I would feel guilty, even if I was in danger. Everything else is plausible, I like the idea of just buying a few extra things when grocery shopping. My boyfriend wants to buy a gun, so I will leave that to him. To those of you who told me to stop watching tv/cancel cable....I feel like I was pre-judged... I'm not your average 22 year old who obsessed over Jersey Shore, Housewives of whatever random city, or The Bachelor...when I watch tv, which is normally when I can't sleep, I'm watching NatGeo, History Channel, and Discovery. I know, I'm weird

To those telling me to have love in my heart and live life: That's on the agenda, each and every day. I am not obsessed with something horrible happening, as I have a pretty sunny outlook on life, but I also wouldn't mind being prepared if something DID happen. I've had a few dreams that have shaken me up, and those in conjunction with the recent bird/fish deaths have me concerned.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Sorry for judging you. I definitely did.

You just seemed like extremely girly, kinda not wilderness material.

Maybe I was wrong.

But I mean come on, if someone saw that background color and that avatar, what do you think their first impressions would be???

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Don't worry about survival... Just come to Colorado and I'll take care of everything for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

O, and btw

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

But I mean come on, if someone saw that background color and that avatar, what do you think their first impressions would be???

Likewise.... I don't think ur avatar is much different
edit on 6-1-2011 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

Above all, if things get really bad...you'll probably have to drop some ethics. It looks like you're built to barter. No offense.

HA what?! Some of you guys in here are some weird pervert m-fers. You will take any avenue to squeeze a remark about sex or appearance in. You are on ATS not in prison go out and meet some girls guys.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Well hey, I don't blame you. I AM girly; I love pink and wine and shopping and romantic guys, but I also love camping and hiking and being out in nature. So, you were half right. But you shouldn't equate girly with wimpy. Or stupid. I enrich my brain rather than killing brain cells by watching Jersey Shore. (seriously, I can't believe people watch that). I think I can maintain my femininity just fine while figuring out how to survive a catastrophe...haha.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You have a wonderful healthy attitude. Looks like you got plenty of good advice on what to have for emergencies which is all you can do anyway. Have a good day.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

I have no idea whether to stay in Australia (mostly flat land) or head over to NZ where it's more mountainous but more volcanoes/earthquakes. At this point, even countries that don't have earthquakes will get them.

Ha! Another Aussie with the same thoughts..

Personally, I'm planning, one day, to bug out, regardless of any events, because I just hate pretty much everything about society as it is. But being urban, it makes it particularly hard to know where to go, it's all owned around here, there is nothing to hunt, so I consider the coast, but then if you get caught out there in a setup designed for living, you get nicked. It seems impossible at the moment to do anything, and it's frustrating.

If I were to just go off the grid, anything in an inch bag (I'm not coming home bag, as opposed to bug out bags, which are for immediate uses generally, 72 hours at most) would get be arrested.

We can't have fire arms, so my collection of knives would have to do, but with all the knife crime these days, getting caught with them would be problematic.

Getting far away from people would be a problem also, on foot.

Gah, trapped in a clockwork society that runs on greed and wealth, and refuses you access to the way out.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join