It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicking college-student seeking advice!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
With the recent happenings on our planet, I am getting more and more freaked out daily. I can't imagine how I would react in a survival situation; I feel like I know NOTHING and have no preparation. Obviously I want to live a normal life and not obsess over some unknown/unpredictable catastrophe; but 2012 is looming over my head. SO, my question first of all is this: I am a college-student who is a server and a bartender. I would love to start planning a stash of survival stuff for myself, my dad, sister, niece and nephew, and boyfriend. But, I have no idea where to start. I was wondering if anyone can give me a dollar amount so that I can start saving? Also, what knowledge do I need to have? Is there a book anyone reccomends to have on hand? I want to be a survivor and live on to have babies and grandbabies, darnit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am a complete rookie and I know nothing about survival.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekingmyself

First off let me ask you what personally makes you think anything catastrophic will happen in 2012?

I know thats not what you're asking for, but im interested in what makes you think theres a possibilty something bad might happen.

Cheers
edit on 6-1-2011 by FoxMulder91 because: spelling/adding a bit/editing/fixing some stuff[/editby
edit on 6-1-2011 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Before TSHTF

DON'T PANIC!
But assume the worst, and prepare for it.
Stock a 'bug-out-bag"
Purchase and learn how to use firearms.
Learn self-defense techniques.
Condition yourself to subsist on the least amount of nutrients as an exercise for when the S really does HTF.
Learn everything you can about survival in the outdoors.
MRE's are your friend
Don't forget a number of fire sources. Don't store them all in the same place in your equipment.
A shotwave radio. They have models that generate power by use of a crank. Recommended
Travel light.
Learn how to garden.

Basically, follow all the rules of Zombieland.

It's always good to have a geiger counter, just in case.
Learn how to construct Faraday cages in case of EMP.
This is the short list. You can find more detailed info in other threads as well.

After TSHTF:

Get as far away from large population centers as possible as fast as possible.
A base of operations at high elevations would be preferable for any number of reasons.

Trust no-one.

edit on 1/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: headline

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxMulder91

Well, I personally am HOPING for an age of enlightenment...BUT...yea. Basically, it seems to me that things around us seem to be getting exponentially worse; at least since I've been aware of such things. It has to come to a climax at some point. 2012 has some warrant to me; it's uncanny to me that not only the Mayans, but the Hopi, the I-Ching have all pointed to the same date. We are coming to the end of a 26,000 year cycle, at which point cataclysmic things COULD happen. You need to go to the 2012 forum to see what I'm talking about, as I don't want to get off topic. To sum it up, the possibility of something bad happening on 12/21/12 seems more likely than any other doomsday date because it has scientific backing. I want to survive

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Hi Seeking,

There was a very good recent post that has awesome info for what you are seeking for

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Don't assume nothing will happen before 12/21/2012 as well.
It could happen on October 28th 2011, for instance. Or tomorrow for that matter.

Act as if it could happen at any moment. I'm not telling you to worry. I'm just saying "Always Be Ready To Go".

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
My advice is to not rely on skills that you don't have. Find those who do have the skills, follow their lead, shut up and learn.

Don't save money for catastrophe. Save money for if there is no catastrophe. Money won't help you in a crisis, but water will.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
You do not need a dollar amount. I stockpile when I can afford it. Usually I will throw an extra can of soup or two in the shopping cart, Spam is a little more expesive than the Treet brand. I got my magnesium firestarter, flashlights, and I am working on the defense factor. I do not have alot of disposable income and I pick stuff up on sale when I can. No need to freak out and do it all at once.
edit on 6-1-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Before TSHTF

DON'T PANIC!
But assume the worst, and prepare for it.
Stock a 'bug-out-bag"
Purchase and learn how to use firearms.
Learn self-defense techniques.
Condition yourself to subsist on the least amount of nutrients as an exercise for when the S really does HTF.
Learn everything you can about survival in the outdoors.
MRE's are your friend
Don't forget a number of fire sources. Don't store them all in the same place in your equipment.
A shotwave radio. They have models that generate power by use of a crank. Recommended
Travel light.
Learn how to garden.

Basically, follow all the rules of Zombieland.

It's always good to have a geiger counter, just in case.
Learn how to construct Faraday cages in case of EMP.
This is the short list. You can find more detailed info in other threads as well.

After TSHTF:

Get as far away from large population centers as possible as fast as possible.
A base of operations at high elevations would be preferable for any number of reasons.

Trust no-one.

edit on 1/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: headline

I don't know what half of that stuff is. EMP? Faraday cages? Geiger counter? Bug-out bag? I'm totally screwed, aren't I?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekingmyself
Any help is greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am a complete rookie and I know nothing about survival.

If thats you in the avatar, then do not worry. I will save you.

In order to administer my assistance, I will need the following:

Your name, phone number and additional pictures preferably in a bikini so I can evaluate your current health status.

edit on 6-1-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Call me crazy but i've already prepared. Spent most of my younger years under the tutorship of my uncle (well great uncle really) who was in nam. He taught me alot. Twenty six now. Been on the streets since about nineteen. Got stuff buried all over the states. IF it happens i'll be back in orange texas within a few months. Find me. Name is jock. YES MY NAME IS JOCK.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

The term "bug-out" generally means in the vernacular of the military to "get the hell out of there".
A bug-out-bag would be a backpack or other small carrying bag that has been prepared in the event that you have to "bug-out".
For instance, it should contain food, water, compass, firearm, means of starting a fire and the like.
You can ATS search for "bug out bag" and find many recommendations for the contents.

A Faraday cage is a specially constructed (and easily constructed) container for electronic devices.
In the event of an EMP "Electro Magnetic Pulse", a Faraday cage will keep your electronic devices from harm/

en.wikipedia.org...

For instance. An atomic device when detonated will cause an EMP, knocking out anything that relies on electricity. A Faraday cage or box will preserve your devises from harm.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Oh... and a Geiger Counter is an electronic device that measures radiation. Handy to have if you're foraging for food in a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

In the worst case scenario i wouldn't assume to have power. Best to learn to live without it. Just my opinion.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
First thing to do is start buying extra canned goods, top ramen, grains like oats, and beans. Each time you shop for food just buy a little extra that way it is not a big expense and you will be doing something all the time to prepare. Buy stuff you like and know will keep. Canned tuna is great for food storage. but you can buy soups and canned beans veggies fruit etc. Also need water. You can start with bottled water but you might want to get some containers like five gallon. Since you're in college I assume you don't have a lot of space. So you can store it under beds or a corner of the room or closet etc.

Bug out bag is good too. Learn to garden. You can container garden if you have little space. if it is cold where you are if you have a southerly facing window you can grow some stuff in front it like lettuce and carrots and maybe some tomatoes. Do a search and start reading all you can. The LDS food storage manual is required reading google it.

Also put together and first aid kit.

Don't panic just get started.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Duplicate
edit on 6-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

For instance. An atomic device when detonated will cause an EMP, knocking out anything that relies on electricity. A Faraday cage or box will preserve your devises from harm.

Is there a kind of cage that will protect your ass from an atomic device being detonated?

And by the way... MRE's are not your friend. They're too heavy and they take up too much space even broken down. Just go buy a years supply of Charms.
edit on 6-1-2011 by DeltaChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Well honestly I would focus more on learning basic survival skills rather than gathering things. All the things in the world won't help you, if you don't know how to use the things to your advantage. Only exception to that would be food and water, you already know how to use that I hope :p Start with the basics, learning how to build fires with things other than lighters for example. Also learn about how to construct a proper fire. Throwing a bunch of sticks in a pile doesn't cut it sometimes.

thepiratebay.org...

These videos are enteratining and informative. Good place to start.
edit on Thu, 06 Jan 2011 04:24:54 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
in the military we call the primary need supplies; beans, bullets, and band aids

i would stockpile MRE's like previously stated, i think you can get them at a military surplus store (dont eat the MRE's if at all possible, hunting and farming will be nessisary)
firearms and blades (machete, hatchet and an axe) will always have use
first aid equipment and plenty of it
nice warm all weather sleeping bags
tents
lots of plant seeds, pumpkins, tamatoes, strawberries, marijuana, and whatever else grows easily
lots of matches and lighters and maybe a good magnifying glass in case it gets to that points
rope
fishing supplies
gas could be an issue so you could keep extra cans of that incase you cant use a pump while escaping

just think of it as a perminant camping trip
the list of supplies could go on and on

i dont know where you live, but it wouldnt hurt to take a weekend and go out into the wilderness and find a place you could go to. northwest or canada is where i would prefer to go.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

Yes it is called an underground reinforced bunker.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join