It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicking college-student seeking advice!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
If you assume the worst there is no need to prepare.

One good preparation is to live now, i mean enjoy life now. (I don't mean losing touch with reality and just spend everything as if there will be nothing left of existence in a couple of years, but also don't gamble all on future, work & development related.)

This is not only for you personally, but if you would survive and you have babies and grandbabies, you will have the experience to tell the Great Stories before the year 0 in the New Age.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

For instance. An atomic device when detonated will cause an EMP, knocking out anything that relies on electricity. A Faraday cage or box will preserve your devises from harm.

Is there a kind of cage that will protect your ass from an atomic device being detonated?

And by the way... MRE's are not your friend. They're too heavy and they take up too much space even broken down. Just go buy a years supply of Charms.
edit on 6-1-2011 by DeltaChaos because: (no reason given)

Not from an atomic blast, but from the EMP created by an atomic blast. You could be well out of the blast radius and still experience electronic device failure.

As for MRE's, they're handy to have until you're set up. I'm not saying lug around a case of 'em. METRX bars are also recommended.

And like other posters have mentioned: Learn to make use of what you may find while you're out there. And do it before you're out there.
edit on 1/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekingmyself

How can you prepare you ask? You can start by not shaving your legs and armpits.

Next, get a nice walking stick/staff.

From there, walk the earth and learn its ways.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
If you want to learn, pick up a copy of FM 21-76. Nothing classified there, just common sense. Well, except for the part about the maggots and pissing in an open flesh wound. Still, it's natural.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The main thing is to remain calm.. 99 % of the doom and gloom scenarios will never happen. Life in itself is a risk could get hit by a car stepping out your front door. Make the most of it help those around you who need it.. Attempt to make the world better rather than add to the misery in the world.. The power to change the world for better or worse lies within all of us..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
2 things I'd like to point out:

1) I find it so ironic that the US just passed the Food Safety
Act which prohibits small gardens. They want you to buy
their GMO products from them. It's just plain laughable
when you think most of the posters here have just told you
to do something now that is illegal. lol
And I am doing the same thing

2) And if u do buy seeds for your garden, make sure they
are NOT Monsanto seeds. The reason is lots of Monsanto
seeds only grow in conjunction with their own pesticides.
In other words, u have to have both to make them grow.
If you buy just the seeds, they may never sprout or bear fruit.
This is one of the reasons why over 200,000 farmers from India
have committed suicide over the past few years. About 30%
of them actually drank the pesticide to commit suicide
to bring attention to Monsanto's tactics.

salem-news.com...

Stay away from Monsanto products. And don't be fooled,
they have subsidiaries who distribute the same GMO's
under alternate business names.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Nice to see other people closer to my age on here. I don't think you need to set an amount, just pick up what you can when you can. Don't worry about obsessing over these things though. Get whatever you think you need and put it back, you likely will never need it. It's never a bad idea to buy an ounce of silver with each paycheck. Now it will just be like 30 dollars a check and you know you aren't actually spending the money you are exchanging it you will still have that 30 dollars (and give it a few months and it will be worth more).
edit on 6-1-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
A couple of you are naughty with your comments......LOL

Now for a woman, I would'nt know what a bug out bag or faraday cage is until it was first mentioned on this thread. These are things we want to know about, what they are and how to use them.

anything else?

There is no doubt that there are going to be catastrophies happening but not neccessarily in Dec 2012 but from here on in and to the lead of is more like. These will continue to become more regular and I believe on a bigger scale.

I have no idea whether to stay in Australia (mostly flat land) or head over to NZ where it's more mountainous but more volcanoes/earthquakes. At this point, even countries that don't have earthquakes will get them.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
For some reason I think you'd be better off not putting your picture as an avatar...
Then again, a pretty girl in distress always seems to draw more attention.
So maybe it worked in your favor.

Anyways...treat survival like a homework assignment.
Find out what topics you have no clue about and search them here on ATS.
There's tons of survival forums out there and plenty of information to be acquired.
Use the local library. That's a give-in.

Before you ask others for help, ask yourself..."What don't I know how to do?"
Then write it down and research just like a school assignment.

Pretty easy to get caught up in this mess if you let yourself.
Do not panic.
There's no reason to, yet.

Just try to think about necessities when packing/planning.
Things you would have a hard time living without.
Food, water and shelter.

Money should NEVER be an issue because survival is based on the concept of having none.
So don't "budget" yourself.
Use all the available resources at your disposal from around your area.
Try to do everything as cheap as possible.

Best advice: search the survival boards here on ATS:
Take a few hours a day and read up.
Don't spend all your time doing normal routine things.
Now is the time to inform yourself and others.

Knowledge is worth more than gold.

Oh yeah...you can stock up as much as you want, but you need to know how to live without it.

If you have any questions feel free to PM certain members on the survival board.
I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to help.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
If you really really want to know how to survive, just watch THE ROAD and you might pick up a couple of ideas

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Links to the aforementioned reading materials:

Army Survival Manual

LDS Preparedness Manual

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The best way to start is to do is like alienreality said, go to the link posted and download those books. When you've done that, go to the survival forum and start reading there. Our members give some of the best advice and tips on survival that you could find ANYWHERE. Here's your first and one of THE most important tips you can get; Buy a gun you are comfortable handling and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. If TSHTF, your life may depend on it.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I agree with you about the research but - research has to come before the list of "what don't I know?".

The problem is one doesn't know what it is they don't know if they're new to this

OP - Read as many threads on the Survival Forum as you have time for and compile a list from that reading of things folks think is important and work from there.

As others have stated, you need food, water, a way to prepare your food if there is no power, heat or a way to keep warm if its cold, shelter, defense of some kind, a plan to evacuate and supplies to take with you if necessary, and the skills to evacuate and live on the run should you need to. Seeds would be good if you acquire the skills to grow and harvest. Make sure they are either open pollinated or heirloom seeds. They haven't been modified to be sterile - you can't save seeds from sterile plants to grow the following year.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Don't assume nothing will happen before 12/21/2012 as well.
It could happen on October 28th 2011, for instance. Or tomorrow for that matter.

Act as if it could happen at any moment. I'm not telling you to worry. I'm just saying "Always Be Ready To Go".

Well, this 2011. 11 11 is occurring every month, and I've heard the real new cycle according to the mayans, the 6th age, will start Dec 2011.

Even more important than preparing for surivavl of the fittest, is Love. Raising vibrations. Becoming your Higher Self, or the Family,ie. ask what Yeshua/Jesus or Budda would do in any situation. Set all arguments aside and see the light in everyone. Turn all negative thoughts into positives. The more we give, them more is given to us, and we gain our protection from Family by Love. We need to reach the Love channel.

So don't just stockpile and bank up in survival items and distrust everyone around you. Don't store your treasures on earth. Everything here is a test and a trap, pretty much. A school.

Its all about Love. The two big things we need to contend with on this planet to change the karma of being zero magnetism, in this magnetic pole reversal is: Starvation and poverty of billions, and war. These are the two big karmic traps TPTB have been putting on humanity for a very long time, inequality, starvation and wars.

To receive we have to give. Its always been that way.

This year, 2011 is about a coloring page turn, and we need to be very positive, put only positive energy and Love into the world around us.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Yep.....when you have 6 months worth of food and 2 years worth of seeds then 20 families with nothing but the clothes on their backs comes knocking on your door....pretend you are not home!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

Actually, I heard twinkies were the way to go...aren't they supposed to be the only 'food source' that will survive this?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

And seeds. Seeds will be a great commodity as well! Cash wise, probably about 500 or so to barter with the first few days after disaster, whatever it may be, strikes. After that water, seeds and fuel will be your best currency

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 1amworriedincanada

If you name is Woody and you are heading toward a fair ground hehe

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I don't think I quite understand your reply but...
Anybody can ask themselves what they don't know how to do.

Example: You don't know how to garden.
Solution: Read books, ask local farmers....etc.

Example: You don't know what to buy/stash.
Solution: Read the survival forum and use the 'search' function for specific topics.

Example: What is a B.O.B.
Solution: Search Scroogle scraper for the term.

It's not a difficult task, it's rather simple.
But get your priorities straight and look at it this way.
Instead of going out on a friday night, stay in and read!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Best advice is research!
Only you, yourself, can acquire knowledge.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I mean many don't realize gardening is a skill they need to know. They don't know that they don't know, understand? How many people have we told - get seeds, learn to garden, learn to harvest, and learn to preserve?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join