It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bundle Up, It's Global Warming

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Bundle Up, It's Global Warming

www.nytimes.com

How can we reconcile this? The not-so-obvious short answer is that the overall warming of the atmosphere is actually creating cold-weather extremes. Last winter, too, was exceptionally snowy and cold across the Eastern United States and Eurasia, as were seven of the previous nine winters.

For a more detailed explanation, we must turn our attention to the snow in Siberia.

Annual cycles like El Niño/Southern Oscillation, solar variability and global ocean currents cannot account for recent winter cooling. And though it is well documented that the earth’s frozen areas are in retreat, e
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
When are we going to break this idea that G.W. is real when the evidence keeps evaporating faster than any water table the climate fearmongers can find?

When are we going to stop watching our televisions and reading scientific nonsensical number plays, and actually go outside and realize that the world goes on with or without us, and in most cases, despite us.

When will we realize that the earth wasn't flat, hollow, or the center of the univers, much like G.W. is not really induced by you and I as much as the money and power hungry want us to believe?

When are we going to follow the money and power cycles in an honest way, because they always lead to the bank accounts of the same fearmongers that demand payment for a way of life?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
GW is a misnomer, but climate change most definitely is happening.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Of course, nobody would doubt that climate change is a real thing. It is constantly in flux...always has been and always will be.

The thing that is a LIE is the "man-made" part of it. Men don't change the climate any more than they change the positions of the planets.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

The thing that is a LIE is the "man-made" part of it. Men don't change the climate any more than they change the positions of the planets.

Man made climate change?

Probably not.

But to outright deny that greenhouse gas emissions and ozone depletion are having an affect on the earth's climate... well that would just be foolish.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Of course, nobody would doubt that climate change is a real thing. It is constantly in flux...always has been and always will be.

So it really boils down to one of two things either our Officials (like Gore) are complete incompetent imbeciles or there's an agenda. It's one or the other.

East South Florida here! Going down into the 20's tonight (again). Stay tuned to 4-dollar Limes and 6-dollar Oranges and Grapefruits! This will probably help push the GM Monsanto agenda!!!!

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The article is written in the Opinion section and not backed up with any data whatsoever. This is basically just another opinion, no different than all the opinions we already have here on ATS.

Climate Change is very real. The climate has been changing for as long as the Earth has been here.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

So it really boils down to one of two things either our Officials (like Gore) are complete incompetent imbeciles or there's an agenda. It's one or the other.

East South Florida here! Going down into the 20's tonight (again). Stay tuned to 4-dollar Limes and 6-dollar Oranges and Grapefruits! This will probably help push the GM Monsanto agenda!!!!

Gore is an official? Nope. Just a celebrity.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Global warming is causing the cold weather.

Warm water in the north causes the ice to melt. This cold fresh water flows into the North Atlantic cooling the ocean and shutting down the Gulf Stream. The GS keeps northern Europe warm, without it they would have weather like Northern Canada. The end result could be an ice-age.

Global warming is real and we can see the results happening right before our eyes. Those that refuse to believe GW is real are doing so for political reasons.

To say we're not having an effect on the climate is ignorant and also politically motivated. We fill the atmosphere with pollutants every day. What do you think is causing ozone depletion?

There IS a scam going on, to exploit the situation for gain (what don't capitalists exploit for their own gain), but it doesn't mean it's not happening.
edit on 12/26/2010 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Here follows a list of excerpts and websites relating to the OP, on the topic of global warming or cooling.

The Abiding Faith Of Warm-ongers

Climate: Nothing makes fools of more people than trying to predict the weather. Whether in Los Angeles or London, recent predictions have gone crazily awry. Global warming? How about mini ice age?

The sight of confused and angry travelers stuck in airports across Europe because of an arctic freeze that has settled across the continent isn't funny. Sadly, they've been told for more than a decade now that such a thing was an impossibility — that global warming was inevitable, and couldn't be reversed.

This is a big problem for those who see human-caused global warming as an irreversible result of the Industrial Revolution's reliance on carbon-based fuels. Based on global warming theory — and according to official weather forecasts made earlier in the year — this winter should be warm and dry. It's anything but. Ice and snow cover vast parts of both Europe and North America, in one of the coldest Decembers in history.

www.investors.com...

My beliefs fall more along these lines, that the absolute absurdity that we can predict the future happenings of a world we know but a small percentage about reveals more about ourselves than the planet. We are a race of big dreamers, but we are not omniscient. We can not predict the future with any real certainty, and we are certainly not omnipotent, in such a way as we can control, revert or redact what we have already done with mere taxation and lifestyle changes.

The real bottom line is that all of the measures to be carried out to prevent this occultist theory are the very actions that would line the pockets of few from many. The root of all evil is money, and money is not at the root of global warming, but yet we approach it in that way.

Snow storm bears down on Mid-Atlantic, Northeast

WASHINGTON (AP) - A band of frigid weather snaking its way up the East Coast on Sunday threatened to bring blizzards and a foot of snow to New York City and New England, while several states made emergency declarations as the storm caused crashes on slick roads.
Airlines grounded hundreds of flights Sunday along the Northeast corridor in anticipation of the storm, affecting major airports including New York's JFK and Newark. Airlines said more cancellations were likely as the storm progressed. Travel misery began a day earlier in parts of the South, where a rare white Christmas came with reports of dozens of car crashes.

In Washington transportation officials pretreated roads and readied 200 salt trucks, plows and other pieces of equipment to fight the 6 inches or more expected to fall in the Mid-Atlantic region.

The Northeast is expected to get the brunt of the storm. Forecasters issued a blizzard warning for New York City for Sunday and Monday, with a forecast of 11 to 16 inches of snow and strong winds that will reduce visibility to near zero at times. A blizzard warning was also in effect for Rhode Island and most of eastern Massachusetts including Boston, with forecasters predicting 15 to 20 inches of snow. A blizzard warning is issued when snow is accompanied by sustained winds or gusts over 35 mph.

As much as 18 inches could fall on the New Jersey shore with wind gusts over 40 mph.

www.breitbart.com...

If there were a higher power, then there is no better gift to give humanity for Christmas than a little taste of common sense, with a tinge of 'I told you so'. We must certainly curb G.W. or we will face much worse warming than what you have seen in the articles above, or wait?

Atlanta’s First White Christmas Since 1882

www.breitbart.tv...

This website doesn't bother posting an article, because to even do so would be the very definition of redundancy. I wholly agree. The video and headline speaks volumes for itself.

Moscow's main airport closed after overnight snow

* Power outages hit thousands of Muscovites

* Snow expected to continue falling until Tuesday

MOSCOW, Dec 26 (Reuters) - Moscow's Domodedovo airport was closed and thousands of Muscovites were left without power on Sunday after a heavy overnight snowfall, the RIA Novosti news agency said.

It quoted an airport spokeswoman as saying flights at the airport, Russia's busiest, were halted after two electricity substations were knocked out.

"The airport service is suspended," the spokeswoman, Elena Galanova, was quoted as saying, adding that it was not clear when operations would resume.

The Moscow United Electric Grid Company said about 100,000 people in the region were affected by power outages, according to RIA.

The temperature in Moscow hovered around zero degrees Celsius on Saturday and early Sunday. Some rail services were also disrupted.

Moscow's other two main airports, Sheremetyevo and Vnukovo, were working normally.

www.reuters.com...

While it is certainly not expected to be anything but snowy for Christmas in Moscow, during an age of G.W. should this report be so normal? I think that we are starting to see a broader picture here. I am not willing to call it an ice age, a cooling trend, the calm before the storm, but rather intend to call it how I see it. It's a cold year, with no indication of long lasting effects. Global Warming is a myth and this winter is only compounding that proof. There is no sinister carbon monster waiting to destroy us, and even if there were, what could be done? Taxation?

Airport Christmas for Europe's stranded travellers

PARIS (Reuters) – Hundreds of travellers trapped by icy weather spent Christmas Day queuing for flights in Europe on Saturday after sleeping on camp beds overnight in Paris and Brussels airports.

Travel disruptions this month have upset year-end travel for hundreds of thousands of people and raised questions about the air industry's lack of preparation for icy weather.

Flight schedules were returning to normal in Paris, thanks to fresh deliveries of de-icing fluid from Germany and the United States.

But many people were still set to miss Christmas dinners at their destinations. Travel chaos was compounded by disruptions to high-speed trains and clogged roads from England to Sweden in one of Europe's snowiest Decembers.

"We already had a nightmare in England and now this here," one man groaned on France's LCI television.

Airports operated largely normally in Britain, Belgium and Germany on Saturday, although there were some cancellations in Frankfurt and Zurich. Several hundred people had slept overnight in Paris and Brussels airports, or in nearby hotels.

At Paris's Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport, staff handed out instant coffee and pastries for breakfast on Saturday and Transport Minister Thierry Mariani told passengers he would look into what caused an acute shortage of de-icing fluid.

At least 300 people slept on military-style beds at Roissy on Friday after some 400 flights were cancelled. More slept at nearby hotels, where authorities had reserved 3,300 rooms.

news.yahoo.com...

This story reiterates the previous. Cold places are cold, warm places are colder than usual due to a large shift in normal weather patterns. While this is some cause for alarm and should serve as a signal to better prepare next year, is this what we can honestly explain with G.W. theory?

I-95 Blizzard from New Jersey to Maine
A northward-moving strengthening storm will unleash a paralyzing blizzard along a vast swath of the I-95 Northeast corridor into Monday.

This is the same storm that buried parts of the West under yards of snow and mud, along with feet of rain in some locations last week.

The storm is no joke. Major highways could be shut down in the region. Some major airports could stop most flights, creating a nightmare for those souls heading home after the Christmas holiday from eastern North Carolina to Maine.

Roads are already a mess in North Carolina and southeastern Virginia, and will quickly become snow covered and slippery from south to north in the remainder of the I-95 Northeast.

www.accuweather.com...

I agree fully with the story. This is no joke. It is also not a fluke, or figment of your imagination. The winter is cold, and the culprit is not G.W.

More on the blizzard :

www.weather.com...
images.intellicast.com...
www.wunderground.com...
edit on 2010/12/26 by sbctinfantry because: Formatting

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Not to me but people (sheeple) listen to him. That's what I meant by an Official because if you or I were to stand on a podium shouting Global Warming no one would pay attention.

Okay, let me re-phrase. Someone of clout. How's that?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

We're not arguing about Global Warming. For weather cycles are obviously part of history.
This is more about it being man-made or not.

Now the question is, what cause this? The Sun solar cycles? An incoming 'body'?
To every effect there's a cause.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

We're not arguing about Global Warming. For weather cycles are obviously part of history.
This is more about it being man-made or not.

Now the question is, what cause this? The Sun solar cycles? An incoming 'body'?
To every effect there's a cause.

If you read my whole post you'll see I did address the man made point.

Personally I think it's a natural event made worse by mans lack of concern for the environment. I don't think people realise how much crap is pumped into our atmosphere everyday. I know people hate to take responsibility for anything anymore. It's pretty simple, carbon dioxide gases increase the temps because it create an insulating layer, which blocks solar energy from being reflected back into space.

Even if it's not the cause there is nothing wrong in reducing pollution, our air is getting more and more toxic.

www.asehaqld.org.au...
utdoor-air-pollution-a-toxic-soup&catid=37:air-quality&Itemid=56

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Let us ask this question :

What is climate?

Definition :

1) Climate encompasses the statistics of temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, rainfall, atmospheric particle count and numerous other meteorological elements in a given region over long periods of time.

2) An area of the earth's surface between two parallels of latitude; A region of the Earth; The long-term manifestations of weather and other atmospheric conditions in a given area or country, now usually represented by the statistical summary of its weather conditions during a period long enough.

3) Climate is the average weather conditions at a particular place over a long period of time. Climate is the long-term predictable state of the atmosphere. It is affected by physical features such as mountains, rivers, positioning of the globe, plateaus, deserts, depressions and much more.

Every definition assumes that the very idea of climate is something that can be measured, which is true. Where the assumption detatches from reality is that the data can then be compiled and used to create any kind of prediction as to what will happen in the future.

We can basically scale down this assumption with this scenario. While the earth goes through warming and cooling periods that we can barely begin to grasp, we will call them for the sake of this discussion "planetary seasons". Where we have lived in a long, warmer period, after the ice-age had recessed can be called a "warming season".

Now assume that we are in the month of June. Are we to really assume that the trend that June brings in terms of a drastically warmer temperature will continue into December? No, we do not, because we know much about how the Earth's seasons work. How much do we know about the cooling and warming trends, what causes them and how we can begin to control them?

Say the science was sound, though every scientist admits we are just begninning to grasp the happenings of this planet and have yet to even explore the vast majority of it, what then should we do to prevent this trend? Carbon taxation? Cap and trade? That is the equivalent of turning off the Air Conditioning system during a hot day. Does the world cool, or do we give something up in order to accomodate in the grand scheme of things?

Do you see where I am leading you? The ultimate conclusion is that it nothing but madness to assume we can control the 'climate', a man-made word, of this world through any means whatsoever. To remove ourselves entirely would have catastrophic effect, to remain the same, and to find some medium would hold consequences as well. There is only one global warming sentry in this fight with pure intentions, if they can be called that, and she is Mother Nature. Her will be done, and we reap the reward or consequences alike.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Here ya go. Rise taxes!!!! Pretty blunt and pretty spot on!

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Just because they are using it as an excuse to raise taxes it doesn't mean it's not happening!

They are just exploiting the situation, and to ignore what is going on because of that is ignorant.

Have you ever thought that maybe the real scam is to convince you it's NOT real, so that corporations can continue polluting with no oversight? Reverse psychology?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

It's not the average person who doesn't care, it's the Industrial moguls who don't seem to care. They pollute our waters, air space and even bomb our Moon! I never voted on any of this.

In fact, most people I know are very conscientious of their daily activities. Most if not all, don't litter. We recycle. We have composes etc. Some have even purchased hybrid vehicles.

It's the ones running and ruining this world who are to blame for every single thing that's wrong on this planet. Sorry. I don't say that because I don't want to take responsibility but we are ALL slaves to 'them". And that's just the way it is (for now)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
yes... there's nothing wrong. nothing to see here. no radical shifts in the ecology of this earth. no hyper-extreme weather patterns. no ridiculous amounts of consumption, pollution, destruction, contamination, etc. etc....

and if there were some interesting phenomenon (like massive hurricanes, tsunamis, record breaking highs and lows, floods, droughts etc), it certainly couldn't be OUR fault. no. that's just a lie put upon us so that TPTB can gain more government control. humans are too small small to have any impact on this planet.

www.actionbioscience.org...

so #snip# that. i'm not taking responsibility for the havoc our species is doing to this planet.

because we're not. nothing to see here. nope. i'm just gonna keep watching my digi-screens and downloading my latest entertainment doodad. 'cause there is no way what i'm doing is wrong. i'm a human, and it's my god given right to think my # don't stink.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Just because they are using it as an excuse to raise taxes it doesn't mean it's not happening!

They are just exploiting the situation, and to ignore what is going on because of that is ignorant.

Have you ever thought that maybe the real scam is to convince you it's NOT real, so that corporations can continue polluting with no oversight? Reverse psychology?

Have you ever thought of any way that we can reverse world climate when we can not, as a world, agree on a single other topic? Say that we do manage to come to the conclusion that Man Made Global Warming is real, what can possibly be done about it? Nothing.

What is your point? Reverse psychology or not, either way you play it, the whole debate is pointless.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythos
yes... there's nothing wrong. nothing to see here. no radical shifts in the ecology of this earth. no hyper-extreme weather patterns. no ridiculous amounts of consumption, pollution, destruction, contamination, etc. etc....

and if there were some interesting phenomenon (like massive hurricanes, tsunamis, record breaking highs and lows, floods, droughts etc), it certainly couldn't be OUR fault. no. that's just a lie put upon us so that TPTB can gain more government control. humans are too small small to have any impact on this planet.

www.actionbioscience.org...

so #snip# that. i'm not taking responsibility for the havoc our species is doing to this planet.

because we're not. nothing to see here. nope. i'm just gonna keep watching my digi-screens and downloading my latest entertainment doodad. 'cause there is no way what i'm doing is wrong. i'm a human, and it's my god given right to think my # don't stink.

Again, I implore you to figure out just what could possibly be done to change it.

If the climate scientists, guru's and popularity poster children had any real solutions other than to line their pockets, do you truely believe that the world would just stand aside and let the disaster happen? I really don't think any of us can answer that question, so I will pose a manageable one :

What realistic solution has been offered to the world?

Before you answer that, refer yourself to my post on green Ocean Wave Technology by inventor Lee Marcum. Those are real solutions, and they never see the light of day. Who represses them? There is money to be made, but it is meager. How much money is to be made from Cap and Trade? Who makes the money? You see, it is all just smoke and mirrors.

The world is changing whether we like it or not, and it is becoming greener. Whether the fearmongers here want to admit it or not, green energy sells not because of global warming, but because it is cheap and renewable. It is made more accessible due to technology (built off the backs of those evil fossil fuels) that has arisen in the past. The past paves the way to the future, and any sane person with their finger on the pulse of the world can see that the future is bright in terms of technology and reducing the black footprint while ushering in a green one. The reason for this will have to be the market, not some politician's fearmongering.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join