It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks by 'Anonymous' Not So, Well, Anonymous

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Attacks by 'Anonymous' Not So, Well, Anonymous

www.osnews.com

or a number of days the websites of MasterCard, Visa, PayPal and others wre attacked by a group of WikiLeaks supporters ('hacktivists'). Although the group calls itself 'Anonymous', researchers at the DACS group of the University of Twente (UT), the Netherlands, discovered that these hacktivists are easily traceable, and therefore anything but anonymous
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.simpleweb.org

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I've posted a link to the PDF file which details how the script kiddy tool LOIC (Low Orbit Ion Cannon) contains no IP spoofing / redirecting code so most using this tool are easily traced. Oh the irony. If you're thinking of using this program and are not familiar with hiding your identity, I'd recommend not.

Thanks - Support Internet Freedom.

www.osnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well duh.
if you're using that to attack and are doing so from your home computer you're a moron.
Real hackers would be behind 7 proxies before using that thing.

in any case. how are you going to prosecute all those kids? it would be a nightmare.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Karma is a bitch!

They won't prosecute them all they will make examples of as many as they can though
edit on 13-12-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Therein lies the safety net.

If a million 'amateur' hackers were traced, there is not a hope in hell they could be prosecuted.

It would tie the courts up for decades, just trying to get through them all.

As for punishment...prison would be out of the question, and if they all refused to pay any fine - what then?

Strength in numbers is the key to this i feel.

In the same vein, if the very same million hackers (or however many thousands) suddenly and all at the same time, went along to their local police stations...every police station, and turned themselves in and DEMANDED to be arrested and prosecuted...what then?

There is a lot people can do to upset the apple cart, and it doesn't have to involve mindless violence to have a very great impact.

edit on 13/12/2010 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by iamoverrated

Those who don't know, a simple program such as ToR would be recommended. Tor allows for your IP to change with each log in. The USG, may assume they can trace the users of LOIC, but common logic would suggest, that those who know what they're doing, would obviously know to be discreet.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I can respect that they want to help 'fight the man' for us common folk and keep information alive, somebody has to be there to keep them in check, but at least go about it with some discretion. It seems like even if you are a 15 year old kid, if you know enough to pull off a DDoS then you would know about proxies,

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hehe, 7 proxies.

They'll all just say they got a virus.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Well duh.
if you're using that to attack and are doing so from your home computer you're a moron.
Real hackers would be behind 7 proxies before using that thing.

in any case. how are you going to prosecute all those kids? it would be a nightmare.

The same way that the music industry scared tens of millions into leaving sites like Limewire and Morpheus...you go after a few of the big ones, and ruin their lives, and wham-o, suddenly only the ultra-brave (aka ultra-stupid) are willing to try such a thing again.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimePorkchop

cept this isn't copyright infringement. This is more like a peaceful protest by "concerned citizens", and I use that term as loosely as possible. And we have the right to protest.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by iamoverrated

Those who don't know, a simple program such as ToR would be recommended. Tor allows for your IP to change with each log in. The USG, may assume they can trace the users of LOIC, but common logic would suggest, that those who know what they're doing, would obviously know to be discreet.

TOR was a US Navy project in its infancy. Yes its changed hands since but I would tread lightly. Also exit nodes can be monitored.

brill

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
u cant proxy LOIC. it wont work....
but really what the prob ur not likely to get in trouble a lot of peeps use it. saftey in numbers.I guess u cud get caught and get a slapp round the wrists. someone is in prison as we speak and may be 4 rest.of life. so wat if u get caught...

kx

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Find the smartest one of the bunch, and make him look reeeally bad.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

What these kids are doing is hardly "peaceful" protest. Though they may not be physically engaging anyone in their protest, they are still by way of collateral damage, hurting the very same people they are supposedly protesting for. Personally, I think each of these kids needs to have their arses kicked by Mom and Dad.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

but isn't that the point of a protest.
You do something that brings awareness to a situation.
protesting outside of the credit card company isn't going to do squat.
a cyber ddos will affect enough people. that others will complain enough to the company or once some learn of what the company was doing. will maybe be mad enough to move to a different provider.

I sympathize with those affected. However they are free to move to a processor that has ddos better ddos protection.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

So, if you don't think it is peaceful are you trying to say its violent protest?

It sure looks peaceful to me. No one got hurt and everyone went home more aware of this wikileaks thing.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Anonymous’ Operation Payback IRC Operator Arrested
torrentfreak.com...

Anonymous Releases Very Unanonymous Press Release
praetorianprefect.com...
praetorianprefect.com...

Leveling the Field ANONYMOUS - NOT
dc406.com...:leveling-the-field-anonymous-not
dc406.com...:in-case-anyone-is-wondering

Loic report (online)
view.samurajdata.se...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

reply to post by AdAbsurdum

When I said collateral damage, I was not referring to hindering the companies hardware they are attacking. I was referring to the thousands of people who have lost income that they use to support their family. My apologies if I didn't make that clear enough. But I still don't see this as a peaceful protest. All it is doing is pissing people off. I for one could care less about Wikileaks and what happens to Julian now. I can guarantee you that if any of these little snot nose punks lost allowance over this, they would be boohooing.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I read what you said....

Peaceful:
peace·ful/ˈpēsfəl/Adjective
1. Free from disturbance; tranquil.
2. Not involving war or violence.

What they did meets the second definition of peaceful and therefore what they did is peaceful protest.

It's no different than If they had all joined hands around their places of business so that they could not go into work. This is the electronic version.

To argue that it is not peaceful is to argue that they used force and are therefore violent. There is nothing violent about a DDOS.
edit on 13-12-2010 by AdAbsurdum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

Ok, you're arguing semantics now. Would it make you happy if I called it cyber-violence?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join