It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The greatest of mysteries:Why don't they ever come here, or send here, openly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Charles Hoy Fort (August 6, 1874 – May 3, 1932) was an American writer and researcher into anomalous phenomena. Today, the terms Fortean and Forteana are used to characterize various such phenomena. Fort's books sold well and are still in print today. SOURCE

I think this guy is interesting given that he researched data/accounts back in 1919 such as unaccountable noises and explosions unidentified flying objects; unexplained disappearances; giant wheels of light in the oceans; and animals found outside their normal ranges.

He offered many reports of Out-of-place artifacts strange items found in unlikely locations. He also is perhaps the first person to explain strange human appearances and disappearances by the hypothesis of alien abduction and was an early proponent of the extraterrestrial hypothesis, specifically suggesting that strange lights or object sighted in the skies might be alien spacecraft.

He wrote a few books inculding this one:

The Book of the Damned (1919) The title referred to "damned" data that Fort collected, phenomena for which science could not account and was thus rejected or ignored.

The greatest of mysteries:

Why don't they ever come here, or send here, openly?

Of course there's nothing to that mystery if we don't take so seriously the notion—that we must be interesting. It's probably for moral reasons that they stay away—but even so, there must be some degraded ones among them.

Would we, if we could, educate and sophisticate pigs, geese, cattle?

Would it be wise to establish diplomatic relation with the hen that now functions, satisfied with mere sense of achievement by way of compensation?

I think we're property.

I should say we belong to something:

That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land, that other worlds explored and colonized here, and fought among themselves for possession, but that now it's owned by something:

That something owns this earth—all others warned off.
SOURCE - and more to read

edit on 20-10-2010 by Reevster because: (no reason given)

MOD EDIT. Added the proper external source tags. Snipped excessive copy/paste.
Please read: Posting work written by others.
edit on October 20th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well said! S&F

Getting the book now thank you

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

a theory that some subscribe to, and others come up with on their own after much pondering...

a good read.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reevster

Charles Hoy Fort (August 6, 1874 – May 3, 1932) was an American writer and researcher into anomalous phenomena. Today, the terms Fortean and Forteana are used to characterize various such phenomena. Fort's books sold well and are still in print today.

S+F for this, good find, thanks.

Charles Hoy Fort was investigating phenomena at a time when society was untainted with influence from sci-fi films/mass media hype/internet e.c.t e.c.t so in my mind these findings and reports are a lot more credible than todays modern reports.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Charles Hoy Fort was investigating phenomena at a time when society was untainted with influence from sci-fi films/mass media hype/internet e.c.t e.c.t so in my mind these findings and reports are a lot more credible than todays modern reports.

I agree , I also think he had research material that might not even be around or "available" to us anymore.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
If you want to know why they wont show up, then simply just try and think about what humans would do, if they found a planet where there are life... What would we have done? You think we would have flown all the way down? I think we would get more out of it, if we didnt take contact. We would see the truth on the planet.

If the aliens came down to us to make contact, and they asked how spiritual and smart and lovly we are, then we could lie.. We cant lie now, cant hide how bad humans are, becouse they have watched us for a long time..

And meanwhile we can make ourself their gods, if we wants to be the ego central as normally

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's an interesting answer to Fermi's paradox.

Worth considering as well that usually wild animals have broadly similar colouring across the species whereas in domesticated animals you often see a large variation in form and colour.

Are we or have we been livestock at some point in the past?
edit on 20/10/2010 by MarrsAttax because: grammar

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hmmmm I wonder if the black opps had flying triangles back in 1882 ?

Some interesting stuff in this book....

Scientific American, 46-49:

Two triangular, luminous appearances reported by several observers in Lebanon, Conn., evening of July 3, 1882, on the moon's upper limb. They disappeared, and two dark triangular appearances that looked like notches were seen three minutes later upon the lower limb. They approached each other, met and instantly disappeared.

The merger here is notches that have at times been seen upon the moon's limb: thought to be cross sections of craters (Monthly Notices, R. A. S., 37-432). But these appearances of July 3, 1882, were vast upon the moon—"seemed to be cutting off or obliterating nearly a quarter of its surface."

Something else that may have looked like a vast black crow poised over this earth from the moon:

Rcpt. Brit. Assoc., 1854-410:

Account by two observers of a faint but distinctly triangular object, visible for six nights in the sky. It was observed from two stations that were not far apart. But the parallax was considerable. Whatever it was, it was, acceptably, relatively close to this earth.

www.sacred-texts.com...]

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
As far as signals go, I'd imagine an interstellar capable species would use a communication form capable of the same kind of travel. If an alien civilization sent us radio messages, or even light messages, they could still be on the way here! I'd assume we simply don't have the means to receive their current mode of communication. (probably some kind of quantum entanglement, etc. or Einstein's "spooky" action at a distance)...

For coming here openly, we must assume that secrecy is a big part of the agenda, if we are to assume they have been visiting us for at least decades, if not longer, then obviously they don't seem to want to do it openly. That of course is the big mystery....why are they here, and why the secrecy?

The good news is, it rules out some less pleasant things. They don't seem to want to conquer us, eat us, or steal our resources, etc. But, they also don't seem eager to help us either. Also, after all this time, they probably don't need to study us much either. So, it leaves me with only one conclusion....QUARANTINE. Yep, I think they are simply content to leave us be, and just ensure we're perfectly harmless in our own little sandbox, until THEY feel we are ready to visit the rest of the playground.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Many accounts of "Wheels of fire" in the oceans in the 1800's

Athenæum, 1848-833:

That at the meeting of the British Association, 1848, Sir W. S. Harris said that he had recorded an account sent to him of a vessel toward which had whirled "two wheels of fire, which the men described as rolling millstones of fire." "When they came near, an awful crash took place: the topmasts were shivered to pieces." It is said that there was a strong sulphurous odor.

Nature, 20-291:

Report to the Admiralty by Capt. Evans, the Hydrographer of the British Navy:

That Commander J. E. Pringle, of H.M.S. Vulture, had reported that, at Lat. 26° 26´ N., and Long. 53° 11´ E—in the Persian Gulf—May 15, 1879, he had noticed luminous waves or pulsations in the water, moving at great speed. This time we have a definite datum upon origin somewhere below the surface. It is said that these waves of light passed under the Vulture. "On looking toward the east, the appearance was that of a revolving wheel with a center on that bearing, and whose spokes were illuminated, and, looking toward the west, a similar wheel appeared to be revolving, but in the opposite direction." Or finally as to submergence—"These waves of light extended from the surface well under the water." It is Commander Pringle's opinion that the shafts constituted one wheel, and that doubling was an illusion. He judges the shafts to have been about 25 feet broad, and the spaces about too. Velocity about 84 miles an hour. Duration about 35 minutes.

Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 1-157:

Extract from the log of the bark Lady of the Lake, by Capt. F. W. Banner:

Communicated by R. H. Scott, F.R.S.:

That, upon the 22nd of March, 1870, at Lat. 5° 47´ N., Long. 27° 52´ W., the sailors of the Lady of the Lake saw a remarkable object, or "cloud," in the sky. They reported to the captain.

According to Capt. Banner, it was a cloud of circular form, with an included semicircle divided into four parts, the central dividing shaft beginning at the center of the circle and extending far outward, and then curving backward.

p. 280

Geometricity and complexity and stability of form: and the small likelihood of a cloud maintaining such diversity of features, to say nothing of appearance of organic form.

The thing traveled from a point at about 20 degrees above the horizon to a point about 80 degrees above. Then it settled down to the northeast, having appeared from the south, southeast.

www.sacred-texts.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I agree , I also think he had research material that might not even be around or "available" to us anymore.

More than once Fort destroyed his entire collection of notes but then started all over a gain. It is estimated he catalogued and made over 100,000 notes, that were kept in shoe boxes. Some 60,000 of his notes were donated to the New York Public Library, where they are still available for perusal today.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon

More than once Fort destroyed his entire collection of notes but then started all over a gain. It is estimated he catalogued and made over 100,000 notes, that were kept in shoe boxes. Some 60,000 of his notes were donated to the New York Public Library, where they are still available for perusal today.

Interesting, but what I meant was that the books or whatever the other information came from that he recorded, some of that stuff might not be around today.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Most 1880's reports of "UFO's" its amazing the amount of siteings this guy has compiled...way back in 1919 ish..

Most extraordinary and singular phenomenon," North Wales, Aug. 26, 1894; a disk from which projected an orange-colored body that looked like "an elongated flatfish," reported by Admiral Ommanney (Nature, 50-524); disk from which projected a hook-like form, India, about 1838; diagram of it given; disk about size of the moon, but brighter than the moon; visible about twenty minutes; by G. Pettit, in Prof. Baden-Powell's Catalogue (Rept. Brit. Assoc., 1849); very brilliant hook-like form, seen in the sky at Poland, Trumbull Co., Ohio, during the stream of meteors, of 1833; visible more than an hour: large luminous body, almost stationary "for a time"; shaped like a square table; Niagara Falls, Nov. 13, 1833 (Amer. Jour. Sci., I-25-391); something described as a bright white cloud, at night, Nov. 3, 1886, at Hamar, Norway; from it were emitted brilliant rays of light; drifted across the sky; "retained throughout its original form" (Nature, Dec. 16, 1886-158); thing with an oval nucleus, and streamers with dark bands and lines very suggestive of structure; New Zealand, May 4, 1888 (Nature, 42-402); luminous object, size of full moon, visible an hour and a half, Chili, Nov. 5, 1883 (Comptes Rendus, 103-682); bright object near sun, Dec. 21, 1882 (Knowledge, 3-13); light that looked like a great flame, far out at sea, off Ryook Phyoo, Dec. 2, 1845 (London Roy. Soc. Proc., 5-627); something like a gigantic trumpet, suspended, vertical, oscillating gently, visible five or six minutes, length estimated at 425 feet.

[quote/]

www.sacred-texts.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
A 1913 mass siteing of a "fleet" of UFO's.....

Jour. Roy. Astro. Soc. of Canada, November and December, 1913:

That, according to many observations collected by Prof. Chant, of Toronto, there appeared, upon the night of Feb. 9, 1913, a spectacle that was seen in Canada, the United States, and at sea, and in Bermuda. A luminous body was seen. To it there was a long tail. The body grew rapidly larger. "Observers differ as to whether the body was single, or was composed of three or four parts, with a tail to each part." The group, or complex structure, moved with "a peculiar, majestic deliberation." "It disappeared in the distance, and another group emerged from its place of origin. Onward they moved, at the same deliberate pace, in twos or threes or fours." They disappeared. A third group, or a third structure, followed.

Some observers compared the spectacle to a fleet of airships: others to battleships attended by cruisers and destroyers.

According to one writer:

"There were probably 30 or 32 bodies, and the peculiar thing about them was their moving in fours and threes and twos, abreast of one another; and so perfect was the lining up that you would have thought it was an aerial fleet maneuvering after rigid drilling."

[quote/]

www.sacred-texts.com...

new topics

top topics

active topics

join