It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misogyny: Ruining the Female Male Relationship(esp. in the digital age)

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I still see no examples of where men are needing equality. Anyway the topic is misogyny in the digital age not equal rights for men. That is a nontopic because they already have rights, as do females. That is a different topic.

It really isn't a different topic, the moment you raise the flag regarding misogyny you will invite debate on equality as a whole.

I have labelled several areas where mens rights are regularly under represented, of course if you dont' agree there is little i can do but other feminists have seen what i was going on about, i have not been unfair about it. I will fight for the equality of men and women, although i don't limit myself to that, i would argue it is better to fight for equality for all humans rather than any one group.

If men and women already have rights then what is your problem? If this is an issue simply regarding the internet then again what is your problem? The itnernet is without a doubt the most even of playing fields, you don't have to identify yourself as male or female here, just put your points of view across and they will be judged. If anything the internet empowers both men and women to be judged on who they are, what they can do and how they live rather than any sex, race or religion.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

You could say this about any word. The N word or the F word included.

Yes you would and i have argued for the use of the N word for a while now. Either everyone can use it or no one can, saying one group can use it and another can't is quite unequal. Intent should always be the deciding factor.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

If an area is where mens rights are under represented, how can a right be under represented if it is exists? A right is a right.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

en.wikipedia.org...

The term misogynist is frequently used in a looser sense as a term of derision to describe anyone who holds a distasteful view about women as a group.

“The misogyny that shapes every aspect of our civilization is the institutionalized form of male fear and hatred of what they have denied and therefore cannot know, cannot share: that wild country, the being of women.”
Ursula K Leguin

“Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating.”
Andrea Dorkin

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

If an area is where mens rights are under represented, how can a right be under represented if it is exists? A right is a right.

If this is your position then the argument you create is moot because women have all the legal rights of men in western societies. A right can of course be poorly enforced, otherwisefeminism would have ended when women got the vote and the right to work.

You continue to shift the goalposts.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

“Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating.”
Andrea Dorkin

That is without a doubt one of the most unfair comments i have ever encountered. It is designed to stop any criticism of the feminist movement regardless of what it does. Consider what thay quote means if applied in full. It means that if a woman says all men are disgusting pigs who are unworthy of the vote and cloaks herself in the defense of feminism then any criticism of her statements must be those of misogynists. Be very careful of the heroes you select.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Misogyny

This was very interesting related to the exploitation (read hate) of women and the unique struggle girls face..all girls even the "ladies" (they know who they are) contributing to the thread.
thegirlrevolution.com...
APA Reports Sexualization of Girls - Devastating

The American Psychological Association has published a Report of the APA Task force on the Sexualization of Girls. This 74-page report should be required reading for every mother, mentor, and educator. It contains a multitude of studies and evidence that girls are being negatively effected by being inundated with images and innuendos in all facets of culture that sexuality them.

The full report: www.apa.org...

www.seejanewin.com...
Top 10 problems girls and women face (A snippet)

1. Self-esteem is tied to being pretty and popular
2. The "airhead" mystique: Airheads are "hot" and popular; "Brains" are boring.
3. Math stereotype: Girls can't do math; Boys and Asian-Americans can.
4. Parent stereotypes - dads are smart; Moms aren't; they just work hard.....

Misogyny in Music www.metrolyrics.com...

Next time, There won't be no next time, I apologize even though I know it's lies, I'm tired of the games, I just want her back, I know I'm a liar, If she ever tries to f 'ing leave again, I'm gonna tie her to the bed and set the house on fire.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Misogyny in advertising

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I found this disgusting. Another example of how women are objectified while many impotent (read ineffective) men refuse to recognize the harm, or even that it happens.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
How can I consider my information complete without including examples of Misogyny in the Media?
Check it out. Then deny it is a problem or happens or maybe blame the women for castrating or emasculating poor pitiful men.

How can a women remove something never there in the first place?

edit on 20-9-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Your point being? Misogyny is obviously disgusting, all i and others have argued is that misandry is just as disgusting so what exactly is the problem you have? Although i should point out that the women involved in the things you just presented volenteered (regarding the advertising), within a free society to commit to those roles. So you could argue it from two viewpoints.

Are those things representative of misogyny or are they promoting feminism by giving women the freedom to take on any employment they see fit?

It's interesting how some women have embraced their freedom to do as they wish and are then told that isn't very feminist of them

Also your video regarding the objectifying of women was interesting because here in the UK, on daytime tv you have half naked guys being paraded around, leading guests onto chat shows. These are good looking, muscular guys so why is it ok to objectify them but not ok to objectify women?

These are the hypocrisies of the modern feminist movement.

edit on 20-9-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Misogyny is ruining male female relationships especially in the digital age.
That is the thread we are on...no?

I tried to offer my own personal thoughts and opinions.
These were rebuked, I am personally attacked and called everything from a socio-path to a liar.
Great job of not hating women!

Rebuke this.
Refute the information provided here from a male expert who has closely examined and studied the matter.
This is on topic, relevant, pertinent.

Some here seem to think I am blaming them personally for the state of affairs as it exists today, just because they are men, (mind you I only presume this last!) however let me assure you, I am not.
I am stating the obvious for the blind and ill informed, and I refuse to let anyone attack or blame women. If I am not here to defend women, (since there are so few real-men here willing to do it), this means I am not on the computer and I missed whatever slanderous comments were leveled at them.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you are a gay man... Although I do not believe it is a negative in any way... I do think it is pertinent to the discussion we are having and you should let people know whether you are homo or heterosexual.
Sorry if this is too personal but I think this fact will definitely have a noticeable impact on your pre-existing opinions concerning women, whether you like or dislike women, and whether you may even harbor some natural resentment toward the "born" females on this thread.
In short, for this particular question...we have a right to know.

There is an eerie quiet....
I'll come back later. It was a tough question.

edit on 20-9-2010 by rusethorcain because: More clarity

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I tried to offer my own personal thoughts and opinions.
These were rebuked, I am personally attacked and called everything from a socio-path to a liar.
Great job of not hating women!

You are confusing the dislike of a sexwith the dislike of an individual, you dare to play the victim? Check back you were the person calling people names and insulting them.

Rebuke this.
Refute the information provided here from a male expert who has closely examined and studied the matter.
This is on topic, relevant, pertinent.

The professor in the video is a disgrace, he is sitting there, telling people that women are used in a sexual manner and that's terrible, yet he doesn't do the same for men. Check around you and you will find half naked guys in underwear, you will find mens magazines packed with guys touting the latest bodybuilding treatment and skin cream. It's all the same i'm afraid.

Now we have to ask a simple question. If women choose to perform these roles then isn't this equality? They have the CHOICE not to do it and they still do it, you cannot blame men for that. You have free will, use it and to blame men for it is pathetic. Just because he's a philosophy professor doesn't mean he's correct and again i just find it odd how he utterly ignores how men are now being marketted to in the same way.

I will agree i think it is wrong that beauty is valued over ability, but i apply that to both men and women unlike this professor. Valueing beauty over substance is a problem that truly unites us all.

EDIT

Whether i am gay or not is utterly unimportant and if you think it is then you simply have more issues than i realised. But to put you straight (no pun intended) i am heterosexual.

edit on Mon Sep 20 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Here is another really comprehensive discussion concerning the incidence and prevalence of misogyny in modern culture from Roy Brown - UN Human Rights Council. Certainly with all this evidence anyone must admit to a certain amount of misogyny ruining the understanding and love that might otherwise exist between males and females.

EDIT:

Ah...I see.
"Thou doth protest too much."

edit on 20-9-2010 by rusethorcain because: winky

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Err yeah sorry i have already said, over and over that misogyny is disgusting, want me to say it again? Ok here we go

Misogyny is disgusting, pathetic, stupid and sad.

However most men are just not like this anymore. Misandry is a minor complaint as well but it exists. It's interesting how you didn't bother to address anything i said, you simply posted a video where a professor states that he believes misogyny exists in the mainstream culture while he ignores the misandry in mainstream culture and you only hear one side.

So again i ask you, what is your point? If it's simply that misogyny exists well i agree. Will you also agree that misandry exists and causes harm? If that can be done we've found a middle ground and have basically arrived at the position i held from the outset.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Ah...I see.
"Thou doth protest too much."

edit on 20-9-2010 by rusethorcain because: winky

Erm sorry but what was this regarding? I would hate to speculate.

Second line!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

This Burger King advertisement did not run in the US. It was an ad, created by a foreign ad agency, for a possible promotion overseas.

Nice try though.

Burger King Corporation (BKC) values and respects all of its guests. This advertisement is running to support a limited promotion in the Singapore market and is not running in the U.S. or any other markets. It was produced by a locally-based Singapore agency and not by BKC's U.S. advertising agency of record, Crispin Porter and Bogusky.

source

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You know what i find odd rusethorcain? Your first response in this thread was this

I think people with relationship problems or problems dealing and relating to the opposite sex are solely responsible for the great number of threads telling us what is wrong with WOMEN and what is wrong with MEN and why they just can't get along. We get along fine.

I agree with this point so why did you then go utterly off on a tangent to describe any man who criticises feminism as sexist, to insult various people without recourse and generally disrupt a good discussion?

It seems odd to me.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Double post please delete.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join