It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

steven basset verbal assault on paracast and takes no prisioners

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny c

For the record:

1) I was not angry over theory, but rather because the hosts were using my appearance as a basis to bash other researchers and activists. Plus I was traveling, tired and in a bad mood.

2) I have never stated as fact that ETs are "working with our government". It's possible, but has not been proven.

3) I do believe the ET presence is proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and their origin is most likely, if not almost certainly, other planets.

4) As for the "spotlight." If one's intentions are to advocate for a national issue it is essential to get access to the media and in front of microphones and cameras. If you don't to that, you are wasting your time. Of course, it is also necessary to create networks, conduct projects and organize. I think PRG has done that as well.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

edit on 8-9-2010 by SteveBassett because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveBassett

Hey Steve ,hows it going,im sorry the thread came off a bit one sided without all the good work you had done being mentioned.I for one respect you for coming on line to explain and for all the work you have done in the community.I understand you didnt want other people bashed in your name.I never looked at it that way.I just dont know if the goverment are involved,maybe they know of their presence but are they meeting face to face in your opinion? I would love to hear what you think on this subject.
I know how hard it is to travel and i can only imagine when cameras are put in your face and im sorry if we were a bit hard on you mate,i enjoyed your work alot if the truth be known

BUT STEVE,TELL THE TRUTH!! YOU WERE READY TO KICK SOME ASS??? BIGTIME,LOL

edit on 15/8/2010 by johnny c because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny c

The guys from Paracast didnt not want to accept it was a 100 percent that U.F.O are from Aliens,they belived that it was not a certin yet at all.

Thanks for the interview, but dude, please learn basic typing skills before posting. Not being a grammar Nazi at all here, but your sentence wouldn't make sense even if you spelled everything correctly.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

Im Irish and that night i had a few to many if you know what i mean!!

,thats all you have to say?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Bassett did not "kick ass" as much as "blow a gasket." He lost it, plain and simple, making an absolute fool of himself. It was funny. Now he's made up this philosophical rationalization of why he went crazy, but if you listen to the interview, it's quite clear that his position is that he is not responsible for ensuring the integrity of people who claim "special knowledge" of the UFO situation, yet he will readily give them a platform. The thing is, Bassett has come out of nowhere and his background is extremely fuzzy. He was a 'business consultant' or something. At least with someone like Salla or even Greer, their backgrounds are known. There is no question that they have gone to the schools they have stated (unlike Lazar) and their careers are more or less verifiable.

The best way to understand the Disclosure "Movement," which is pretty much a self-imposed and pretentious name, is to see it like a Cargo Cult. During WW II western civilization invaded some pretty remote areas of the world, like New Guinea, with guns, bombs, and missionaries. Prior to WW II the New Guinea Highlands area, behind tall mountains, was thought to be uninhabited. It turns out to have been one of the most linguistically diverse areas in the world with over 1,000 languages and a well developed social structure. (See Kenneth Read's "High Valley" for a description. Read, an Australian, was an anthropologist who studied under the tutelage of "Makis," a tribal chief and later taught at the University of Washington.)

Now the Highlands was full of people who were not at all stupid, but they were ignorant of western civilization and struggled to put all of western technology into their world view. They believed in "The Force" more or less like Star Wars, and suddenly missionaries were telling them Jesus was their salvation and if they accepted Jesus into their lives, they could have western goodies, too.

Things weren't going too well for the tribes as westerners began to take over, so many of them decided they could one up the missionaries and do their own salvation. Many millennial movements arose that were one part rebellion against westerners as they wanted the bad guys thrown out, one part jesus-like salvation, and one part 2012 is the end of the world. People in these movements gave up their possessions and moved to the mountaintop (metaphorically). They would build runways in the jungle for the Cargo Planes to land and bring them everything they needed. They built warehouses to hold the goodies and waited for the airplanes to land. They are still waiting. (See "The Trumpet Shall Sound" by Peter Worsley for a complete account.)

Compare the Disclosure Movement. The aliens (this time) are going to show up along with zero point energy devices and all the world's problems will be solved. the bad guys will be thrown out and a new era of peace and prosperity will descend on the land. It's Heaven's Gate without the suicides.

This is too similar to be an accident. All the elements are there, from salvation to having the bad guys 'get what they deserve.' Indeed, even Christianity is nothing more than a BIG Cargo Cult. When Paul was preaching in places like Ephesus and Corinth, he claimed Jesus was coming back WITHIN HIS LIFETIME. It was going to be a physical event that was going to happen Real Soon Now. The Romans would be thrown out and everything would be better. Unfortunately, Vespasian had other plans. 2000 years later and we're still waiting.

The only conclusion possible here is that humans must have a deep seated need to believe in some sort of salvation and we keep coming up with the same basic story. It's pretty messy here on Earth right now, but if we just wait a spell, things are going to get better. Whether it's Paul preaching in Greece, a charismatic Highlander foretelling the coming of the airplanes full of goodies, Bo & Peep telling their followers Hale-Bopp is THE sign they've been waiting for, or the Disclosure Movement putting a modern Space Age alien spin on things, it's all the same story played out over and over again.

You have freedom of religion. By all means knock yourself out, but don't expect everyone else to join your Cargo Cult.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I ment Basset kicks ass in a light hearted way because he was in a bad mood and lost it,i like your point of veiw about me being in a cult because i was having a laugh.get a grip!! if you dont like what i say pay me no mind,i couldnt make a ststement that strong about steven basset because i dont know him and this is why i felt the need to humble myself,because i tought what have i #ing done for ufology?? the answer is nothing so who am i to put anyone down!!!
I was being introspective about the matter,hardly the veiws of someone in a cult,lol
Lets get this straight im in a cult because i have a opinion thats different from yours ,check Paracast out!!! you might like it!!! if your good you can join the cargo cult.hahahaha thats brilliant mate

nice one haha

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I wasn't suggesting you were a member of a Cargo Cult; I was suggesting that the Disclosure Movement IS a Cargo Cult. It's not all about you. Thank you for clarifying what you meant by "kick ass" which, apparently, is not that Bassett did so, but that he was amusing. Whatever, dude. As for the Paracast? I am quite well acquanited with the show. In fact, I've been a guest and a major contributor. But if you'd been there for any length of time, you'd already know that. As Gene would say, "Peace."

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hmm, Steven Bassett just showed up?

Great way to make a person feel welcome, tell him he's in a Cult.

Way to go schuyler

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hey Schuyler i had a feeling you were from the show. I agree that the exo politics is the ultimate joke.I dispise the project camelot crew. I love the Paracast show mate
I have listened to geogre knapp , the Mac tonies tribute was very good,i like the crypto e.t shows!, i enjoyed them all!! Tim Good,phillip imbrogno ,Stanton friedmen and a few others!!
can you give mea heads up what shows i should listen to next? what ones are you on buddy,id love to have a listen. Any tips on the best shows mate??
sorry i misunderstood!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Bassett's behavior on the episode in question is obvious - he became unhinged, and claimed that personal credibility was a non-issue in the field of UFO study. I should know, I conducted the interview. And here's the funny thing about it - Bassett demands credibility and accountability from the U.S. government, while demonstrating that he's unwilling to adhere to comparable standards himself. That's hypocritical at best. Bassett has given a platform to known charlatans and disinformation people - besides folks who are just flat-out bonkers, like Webre and his ilk. There's a reason why credible folks like Leslie Kean keep a healthy distance from Bassett and the exopolitical crowd - she's looking to engage in rational, sober discourse about these areas, unlike Bassett, who doesn't care about provenance or rationality.

Along those same lines, Bassett also displays one of the most fascinating aspects of self-appointed UFO personalities - an odd absence of background biographical information. He was repeatedly asked by me on the Paracast to talk about his professional background, something he's extremely unwilling to do. This should make one wonder, IMO, in terms of motivation and agenda.

And Schuyler is, IMO, one of the few academic-minded folks who have spent time looking into cases and characters, and his work on the UFO Watchdog is outstanding. He was a good friend of the former Paracast show, and I had gone on record saying that he was the kind of audience I cultivated, and was glad to serve. His intelligence is awesome, and his ability to cut to the heart of a matter - or person - is impressive. His characterization of exopolitics as a cargo cult is right on the money.

dB

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Whoops, my bad, replace "exopolitics" with "disclosure movement"... or not. Same difference.

And if anyone is interested in further, third-party opinion about that particular episode with Bassett on the Paracast, here's something for you to read:

www.heraldtribune.com...

dB

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by davidbiedny

The man's been on ATS for all of a day, might as well go into attack mode straight off eh?

After all, why waste time?

Well, I leave you to it

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cupocoffee
The man's been on ATS for all of a day, might as well go into attack mode straight off eh?

After all, why waste time?

Well, I leave you to it

It does not matter whether Bassett's been here a day or a year; there is no arbitrary length of time someone has to participate in these forums before one can call them to task for their behavior. Mr. Bassett has been conducting himself in this manner for over ten years now; he is not excused simply because he signed up on this forum a day or two ago. He had his chance to speak, he chose to spin and equivocate.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Fine, but there's also such a thing as being gracious to new members, especially when they're a well known activist or researcher. Instead of unleashing the dogs on them the instant they walk in the door.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Id like to thank david biedny for coming on to the thread.I love the show and thank youfor the many nights of class entertainment and indept down to earth discussion on this amazing topic

I only have good things to say about Paracast and their crew!! altough i thanked steven basset,ihave to take the other side of the fence.
There are many a fields a credible background is required but i believe none more so than Ufology.
Steven the guys did ask over and over about your biographical information,would it be so hard to provide?
I would of tought in a world where every thing hinges on credibility ,you would only be happy to give this?
Is this a big ask? as i said in my u2u to you,i tought you would of given facts and moved on with the interveiw.
so i ask? would you come on line and answer these questions? i understand you were tired,i know that feeling mate but this is perfect to clear stuff up?
many thanks to all on the thread

edit on 15/8/2010 by johnny c because: missing letter

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cupocoffee
Fine, but there's also such a thing as being gracious to new members, especially when they're a well known activist or researcher. Instead of unleashing the dogs on them the instant they walk in the door.

No, there is no such thing; his status as a "well-known" researcher does not excuse him from criticism when he engages in spin and equivocation. And if that keeps other "well-known" researchers away because they may face tough criticism or questions, so be it. If they cannot handle it then they have nothing of value to contribute in the first place. I'd rather charlatans like Greer and Bassett stay as far away as possible.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Hey DoomsdayRex thanks for going on the thread,i agree it has to be straight up in every sense,Steven holds the x converence ,its a flagship event,the questions asked arent that bad.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Come on David?? please dont tell me you dont think the twin towers were brought down by a UFO particle beam
weapon by dv.ickeanouts ? Alfred said it dude!! it has to be correct,sorry couldnt help myself

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cupocoffee

your dead right cupocoffee,we can allget along and agree to disagree

We hopefully will get both parties on for a good debate guys.

<< 1    3 >>

join