It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Send Tamil migrants home: Poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Send Tamil migrants home: Poll

www.winnipegsun.com

OTTAWA - Send them home and use the Navy if necessary is the message coming from a new poll on the Tamil boat people issue.

By a margin of five to one, Canadians say the government should reject the almost 500 would-be refugees from Sri Lanka who arrived last week.

The Leger Marketing poll of 1,500 people, released exclusively to QMI Agency, was conducted from Aug. 2 to Aug. 4 as the ship travelled towards the British Columbia coast.

Asked which statement best described their own opinion on what should be done with the ship, which may include members of the banned Tamil Tiger terroris
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Now lets see if the government follows the will of the people here. There was an article the other day listing the bennifits the refugee's would be given if they were allowed to stay and its ridiculous. Free health, dental, housing, and of course welfare to the tune of $1200 - $1800 a month depending on children.

Maybe I should cross the ocean and then catch a trip back with them so I can live the easy life off the suffering of others.

www.winnipegsun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
500? sounds like the number of illegal immigrants who arrive in the united states every ten minutes. consider yourself lucky!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
We have other issues in Canada. Just let them in because I am betting at least some will become tax paying regular citizens. We have another problem as stated and that is the no-tax paying native canadians. This is not a racist post as I have several good friends who are tax paying natives. Who cares about 500 immigrants when there are 5 million freeloaders.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

live the easy life off the suffering of others

I suspect, compared to the Tamils, you know nothing of suffering.

Sometimes, the "will of the people", is selfish and morally reprehensible.

They aren't coming to Canada to "live the easy life". I suspect they are coming to escape extreme poverty, persecution and a generally #ty life. I further suspect they will work hard at menial jobs that most Canadians aren't enthusiastic about doing.

They are people, moms, dads, sons, daughters. They love someone, hate someone. They feel joyous, and sadness. They have hopes and dreams...just like you and me.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by spewn
We have other issues in Canada. Just let them in because I am betting at least some will become tax paying regular citizens. We have another problem as stated and that is the no-tax paying native canadians. This is not a racist post as I have several good friends who are tax paying natives. Who cares about 500 immigrants when there are 5 million freeloaders.

It has already been stated that there are 2 more boats waiting to hear what happens. If they are allowed to stay then two more boats will set sail and more will come after.

I say thanks but no thanks - GO HOME!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
snipt from artical...Alberta ranked highest with 74% of respondents there saying send the boat back and just 11% saying let them stay, while Quebec was the second highest with 64% opting to send the boat back and 15% saying the passengers should stay

Albertans and Quebeckers seldome reflect the pulse of Canada as a whole .I am not sure how thiis will play out as we seem to have many boat people showing up from time to time .We are a very big country and have quite a diverse culture .I say welcome and hope our instutions can help place them where they will be able to contribute to the whole .. peace

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
I suspect, compared to the Tamils, you know nothing of suffering.

Oh boy, here we go. What does stating the obvious prove?

Sometimes, the "will of the people", is selfish and morally reprehensible.

And rightly so.

They aren't coming to Canada to "live the easy life". I suspect they are coming to escape extreme poverty, persecution and a generally #ty life. I further suspect they will work hard at menial jobs that most Canadians aren't enthusiastic about doing.

You don't think there is any poverty or persecution in Canada? Well I live in Canada and can tell you there is. Hard to get a job when you have no education and cannot speak english. Also, unlike the USA, we do not have thousands of fruit picking and house cleaning jobs that no one wants to do.

They are people, moms, dads, sons, daughters. They love someone, hate someone. They feel joyous, and sadness. They have hopes and dreams...just like you and me.

So are the poor and starving inside Canada. I'll worry about helping them first and people from across the ocean second.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

So are the poor and starving inside Canada. I'll worry about helping them first and people from across the ocean second.

I read this sentiment a lot on ATS, it makes me sad everytime.

I guess it's the human condition to extend our sympthy only so far, I'm not exempt. I know with the Pakistan floods media is trying hard to guilt us into donating and all I can think to myself is they have Nucelar weapons, let them sort themsleves! So I'm not exempt from these thoughts, however I to acknowledge that they are selfish and just plain mean.

It's my hope that one day we will see the whole world as our neighbours. I know it's an idealistic pipe dream, but one can hope?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
They should never have let the ship land.

The Canadian navy should have fired shots across the bow of the ship and told them to go away.

Stop all this ridiculous fake immigration.

If it's a boat load of people, they could have applied through normal channels.

If Canada allows this to happen, how long before the next boatload of "refugees"?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

If Canada allows this to happen, how long before the next boatload of "refugees"?

Like FreeSpeaker said, 2 boats are ready to go just waiting to hear what Canada decides. Opening a can of worms if they let them stay.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by seridium

"Like FreeSpeaker said, 2 boats are ready to go just waiting to hear what Canada decides. Opening a can of worms if they let them" aside from what FreeSpeaker said, is there any other source for that statment? peace

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
is there any other source for that statment? peace

Its in the original story and the first thread on the topic. Can't remember the name of the first thread buts its in breaking news somewhere.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Vic Toews, the nation’s public safety minister, continued to voice defiance against smugglers, who reportedly have two more ships poised to follow the fresh wake here.

Source

There you go.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I had always loved Canadians for I find them fun loving easy going people despite the hardships they faced in their lives, and would never let such pains encompass their lives to their point whereby they would consider the self is more important than anyone else.

Canada is a great and huge land of hope and opportunities compared to 3 world deprivations.

But if you are representative of the great Canadian People by your perceptions gleaned from your post, then I guess my faith and hope in you guys had been misplaced and misled.

May no one else share my insignificant insights, or Canada will start losing friends and hard won good will impressions.

Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Vic Toews, the nation’s public safety minister, continued to voice defiance against smugglers, who reportedly have two more ships poised to follow the fresh wake here. www.winnipegsun.com... And he defended not boarding it sooner, saying: “the best legal case for prosecuting criminals responsible for illegal acts of this nature at this time is to intercept them in Canadian waters rather than on the high seas. earlier in the article it says
But in new light — even many hours after the notorious MV Sun Sea was led through the Juan de Fuca Straight by RCMP patrol boats and brought alongside a military jetty here — the country was given few details about who our houseguests are. also "A net of secrecy and unanswered questions was flung over the barest details of what’s been found aboard the smuggler’s ship." also "Instead, humanizing a dangerous tale that could have taken place a century ago — a ship of mystery sailing three months for a promised land — has so far come down to tiny glimpses and broad guessesabout "
OK, so much of the original article is somewhat vague about what they had readilyy available but stated in the same article [Vic Toews, the nation’s public safety minister, continued to voice defiance against smugglers, who reportedly have two more ships poised to follow the fresh wake here]
I am not sure just what is not going on but it would seem that there may be some political rhetoric going on to maybe garner votes for the minister in elections in the future . imo peace

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

But if you are representative of the great Canadian People by your perceptions gleaned from your post, then I guess my faith and hope in you guys had been misplaced and misled.
Peace

Think whatever you like. Are you a Canadian? Will you be affected? I'm a taxpayer and have the right voice my concern over giving refugee's a free life here while the rest of us legal Canadians work to provide for them. I do not wish harm or suffering on anyone but niether do I think its our job to provide everything for them simple because they showed up on the doorstep uninvited.

Word from a friend in B.C. is they are going to be sent back. Time will tell if its just a rumor.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

May no one else share my insignificant insights, or Canada will start losing friends and hard won good will impressions.

Peace

Canada is the most generous country in the world. Just ask us for help through the proper channels and you will recieve it. The goodwill the world feels toward Canada has been earned, but now you will condem us for saying no when we were put on the spot and have legitimate security concerns with these refugee's. If they tried to immigrate the proper way I wouldn't have a problem, but showing up here the way they did will only lead to more of it if we allow it to happen. I do not want Canada to end up like the US with to many illegals swamping and drowning the system I pay for.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Ah yes. Money. It all boils down to it doesnt it? Even when collectively it would cost you a mere 0.01 cts to feed this stranger, and soon to be a contributor citizen to your country?

I have nothing else to say. You had clearly shown your stand. May you rest easy when you sleep.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I have nothing else to say. You had clearly shown your stand. May you rest easy when you sleep.

Peace.

Sleep like a baby I will knowing my country has not had a extra burden put on us.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join