It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama backs mosque near ground zero

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I fail to see an issue with the mosque. The US is a country that prides itself in freedom, and that includes religious freedom. If someone wanted to build a Catholic church there, this wouldn't even be in the news.

By taking offense you are basically calling all Muslims terrorists...and something tells me condemning a whole people is wrong and racist.

This whole thing has been blown up by the media and politicians. I mean, comon', it's a single mosque that won't affect anyone in the US unless he's Muslim and wants to visit. If Obama's against it, people will scream that he's infringing on personal freedom. If he's in favor of the mosque, the political right will use this to further promote their "omgomgomg terrorist, Obama's really a Muslim, and we all know Muslims are terrorists..." agenda.

We have wars going on, the economy collapsed, stock markets are plunging, people are losing their jobs...and you are upset about a random house of worship??? ARE YOU SERIOUS?????

The whole think is related to religion, and shouldn't even affect anyone's life! What makes this mosque so different than the next closes mosque that's less than 500 yards away??? Why is this one such a huge issue and all the other mosques aren't if they all do the same thing there...praying? I mean, send some undercover guy there once in a while to check that the Imam isn't an extremist...but anything else is just borderline paranoia and racism.

And FOX News isn't helping by spewing bull# like "Sharia law is coming"...AS IF that would ever be an option and something a politician push through without ruining his careers. Nothing but fear mongering fueled by a lack of knowledge, tolerance, and an unhealthy amount of racism.

Also, after 9 years we still haven't managed to replace all the buildings on ground zero, what makes you think there will be a mosque anytime soon? I mean, in Dubai they built the Burj Khalifa and around 40 skyscrapers during that period...but here in the US we fail horribly at building stuff

[edit on 14-8-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

www.nytimes.com...

While a high-profile battle rages over a mosque near ground zero in Manhattan, heated confrontations have also broken out in communities across the country where mosques are proposed for far less hallowed locations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You wanted proof, there it is. Proof that there are fearful bigots all over the country that are so scared that they would rather deny people freedom of religion than to welcome different cultures.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Please. Can you leave the thread Mr.Bush?

Drop the "Your with us or you're our enemy" crap. It doesn't fly here.

I'm not even sure why this is an issue. We have freedom of religion here, this is no reason to deny that right.

Deny the right, and you might regret it later.

There's a catholic church being built in my neighborhood. I don't want it to be there, but it's their land. It's their religion, and I wouldn't dream of denying them either of those things.

So why do you?

I gave you a star simply because I thought dreamwalker's post was G.W. incarnate! on the other hand, why would you "not want" any church not of your persuasion being built near you, it's the same hearts and minds argument as the OP's. In fact if you are Christian it behoves you in your faith to bring non-believers into your faith, if not a Christian guess what, the same applies.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Also, when we don't vet out own congressmen, senators, or President, what makes you think we are going to fully vet a diplomat. Not as if that hasn't blown up in our face before.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Nope, only proof that the "divide and conquer" strategy is working.

Terror and fear are a great way to generate blind hate.

The only thing left to figure out here is exactly who is pulling your strings here and why!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...#/video/politics/2010/08/14/steinhauser.mosque.polls.cnn?hpt=T1

NEW YORK mosque poll.

I wonder if Obama should have stayed out of it. I wonder if he would do more harm than good. (just thinking out loud).

[edit on 14-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Actually, it's a few more than the NYTimes points out. Begs the question...how far from ground zero is far enough away, eh?

Tennessee

California

Georgia

Kentucky

Wisconsin

Illinois

SheepsheadBay, Brooklyn

Midland Beach, Staten Island, in New York City

Also symptomatic of how some are reacting the the conditioning.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I'm 100% positive the FBI vetted him

But you're entitled to doubt and fear whatever it is you wish to doubt and fear. I prefer my fears to be more fact based and logical. Like my fear of copperheads, for example.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Obama 'not commenting on wisdom' of controversial Islamic center

edit to add I wish everyone a good night/morning

[edit on 14-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowlbyville
I'm sure someone's already said this but the day that Rome can build a Church in Mecca should be the day that this Mosque gets built in NYC.

The reality will be this mosque will be built. Our Constitution will allow it and promises it. Our Constitution and all of our rights were undermined from the very outset. They don't insure anything, and never did, other than what the European bankers allow us momentarily. They will now allow us to live with the thoughts and threats of Sharia law. It serves their purposes. It keeps us divided and occupied while they milk the little remaining wealth from us. All we have are temporary legal allowances that will be terminated when they see fit.

The mullahs in Mecca never left a legal opening for the possibility of another oppressive religion horning in on their deal. That might seem unenlightened but it is very effective. In other words "Homey don't play dat!" They never did and they never will. That's why their people come here but very few go there.

That's what we're up against my friend. It don't seem right and the cards were always stacked against us. "Hoist on our own petard!"

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

God forbid people should wake up and see reality. As a self avowed Marxist I know this is horrifying. People thinking for themselves vs letting the government think for them? Damn those people, wheres my iron fist? Your form of government has failed everywhere except for China, which isn't trully communist anymore, It is a capatalist as the rest. Big, ever controlling government, holds no place on this planet. If the people of this world hold on to the ideallism of freedom you will be a part of history that others will look back on with enough fear to laugh.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Ok I want a copy of that one. Did that really happen?

In answer to your question, yes it did. To read all of a members comments in a thread, you can go to the bottom of the post and click thread, btw.

Here it is. Just nasty and uncalled for.

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by GunzCoty

Ok this is how it works, if you are intolerant, can't stand the 1st Amendment right to freedom of speech AND freedom of religion, want everyone to conform to you, want to deny people from being able to worship the way they want to worship. Then you are a bigot. It doesn't matter what piece of tail your banging.

[edit on 8/13/2010 by whatukno]

It doesn't matter what piece of tail your (sic) banging.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

1) My avatar is ironic, (You are probably too young to remember who the Marx brothers are.)

2) Yea, the government should let people think (and believe and pray) for themselves without involvement. Great argument why the mosque should be allowed to go up. Thank you for that insightful point!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Interesting aside: one of NY's candidates for governor vows to use eminent domain to stop the mosque.

Paladino vows 'eminent domain' for ground zero-area mosque

Republican gubernatorial hopeful Carl Paladino is upping the ante in the debate over the planned ground zero-area mosque, saying in a new statewide radio ad that he would use the governmental power of eminent domain to prevent the project from happening.

www.politico.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Good to know you fear the snakes with fangs, more than you fear the snakes with guns. I think I'll take on the copperheads first, thank you. You know for a fact he was vetted? Damn, didn't realize that all along I was talking to a Pentagon insider. I could have milked you for far more info. Now that your cover is blown though, should you reply anymore?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Nothin' like forcibly raping someone's freedom of religion from them as a election point, I wonder how that will go down with people who actually like the United States Constitution?

I am sure with the bigots and the fascists it's a great thing.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

The only thing left to figure out here is exactly who is pulling your strings here and why!

Are you the one that put me on the short list?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I forgot... what is the Sharia equivalent of Freedom of Speech and Religion again? You want us to celebrate the stoning of women and hanging of homoseshuals because....???

Let's compare apples with apples, i.e., law with law, Constitution with Sharia. Not religion vs law, or islam vs Constitution.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Sir, I was very aware of your satire, I'm not to young to remember Groucho. I after listening to many of replies, was simply able to ignore the picture of Groucho Marks, and pay attention to the word Marxist, underneath. I honestly believe you are a die hard communist, not simply from your avatar but from every reply on every post you have made, sinse I have been a member. Have you been honest in all your replies? If so then, yes, you are a true Marxist. It would be far easier for you not to hide behind behind the satire, and simply admit that you are a die hard sociallist. That would make for far better debate. Bring it on.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74

Good to know you fear the snakes with fangs, more than you fear the snakes with guns. I think I'll take on the copperheads first, thank you. You know for a fact he was vetted? Damn, didn't realize that all along I was talking to a Pentagon insider. I could have milked you for far more info. Now that your cover is blown though, should you reply anymore?

I've been bitten by copperheads twice and lived. My odds of getting hit by a truck or being are far greater than of ever meeting a terrorist with a gun or being in a building or a plane that a terrorist strikes or hijacks. I have faith and knowledge that law enforcement does its job today and did so prior to 9/11. By the way, the FBI is not attached to the DoD but to the DoJ/DHS.

From this thread, which you might enjoy: www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join