It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE MEANING AND SECRET OF INCEPTION: The Movie.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

But then I guess the dream junkies could find a way to suppress their REM sleep through various drugs and sleep deprivation, then go in to the chemist's basement REM deprived and get on a sedative, and have tons of long vivid dreams

You know what novice, that kinda reminded me of the state Jackson was putting himself into.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Didn't they have dream junkies in the film?

I don't know. I haven't seen it and was using this thread as a guide on whether or not to do so. It sounds like I have no reason to rush out to watch it right now.

The Men Who Stare at Goats is my favorite flick that has been somewhat recently released.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
I´m not saying it is needed, everybody is free to do what they want, I´m just saying I had a similar experience.

You sound a bit condescending.

Why? For speaking my thoughts? My experience is exactly what would make me say such a "condescending" thing. What is present that you would even need to interpret it as such?

I don´t know why you felt a need to preach, while I just said that I could relate to that statement.

I could at one time at as well-- relate, that is. I still can but more about the general nature of consciousness than to this idea of "condensed energy". If it's "condensed energy" then why is it only a dream? Would a dream need "condensed energy" of "slow vibrations"?

This problem you speak of seems based purely on assumptions, it has nothing to do with me or my comment anyways.

If there are assumptions, you sure they are mine?

Do you feel that I´m cheating and that it´s not fair or something?

No, I'm suggesting not to get stuck in a rut. The path requires constant challenging of and lack of attachment to everything you think you know, know matter how "correct" or "profound" it may seem to be, no matter how long you've dedicated yourself to any particular outlook.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

No, I'm suggesting not to get stuck in a rut. The path requires constant challenging of and lack of attachment to everything you think you know, know matter how "correct" or "profound" it may seem to be, no matter how long you've dedicated yourself to any particular outlook.
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Well thanks, but what makes you think I need your suggestion, it seems to come from the notion that you are somehow more `enlightened` than me, especially if your response is triggered by my statement wich had nothing to do with your suggestions, nor did it give any clues as to how I walk my own path.

It feels like you are projecting your personal stuff on me, and it is uncalled for.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
Well thanks, but what makes you think I need your suggestion,

It might be a message intended for humanity, not just you. That, I presume, does include you and those interested in the film and those who have seen it.

it seems to come from the notion that you are somehow more `enlightened` than me, especially if your response is triggered by my statement wich had nothing to do with your suggestions,

Au contraire, mon frere! All is connected. We're all equally enlightened. We choose to forget that.

nor did it give any clues as to how I walk my own path.

Doing that would be doing too much, especially since there nothing to do.

It feels like you are projecting your personal stuff on me, and it is uncalled for.

Per the message's list of intended recipients above, why do you think you're the victim here?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I think that the Movie "Inception" may be just what it implies that it is...

The Inception of an Idea.

Maybe the movie is trying to do to you, what the cast is doing to their "Mark"

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Movies are makebelieve, a way to escape.

People should not put their trust or belief in movies.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Okay here goes...the whole movie falls apart.

THE EQUIPMENT

you need to plug into this physical REAL device to share the dream.

then they all need to plug into the Equipment to go to a deeper level.then again to a deeper level then yet again to even a deeper level.

Well after the first entry into the dreamstate the Equipment is no longer REAL the equipment is now only dream Equipment.

there you would only perceive the depth of the dream and not really step deeper into the dream in a physical sense.

so After first entry all other level have become percieved dream levels.

The Equipment at that point just become fantasy.

the movie has you thinking the equipment is what is required to enter a deeper level of the dream state. This is the reason IMHO that the movie falls apart.

The effects were great...loved DaCaprio and thought the concept was very intriguing...yet another illuminati percerption of performing brainwashing techniques.

but enjoy the show as it appraoches reality.

DAMN am in still dreaming.

[edit on 053131p://f21Sunday by plube]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I thought it was brilliant. Unfortunately I missed probably the first 10 minutes or so, but once I eventually figured out what was going on in the story, my attention was glued to the screen. I felt like I didn't breathe until the credits rolled.
I'm one of those types who entirely escapes into a film if it is really capturing, and I really loved the intricacy of the plot, as well as the depth of the performances. Additionally, Hans Zimmer is some kind of musical genius. Every film in which he is the composer seems to possess some other level of awesomeness, IMO. His music was absolutely engaging and added so much density to the drama.
Admittedly at times I felt as though the plot was moving a tad too fast for the gravity of a situation to take full effect; one piece of information would be established and then would be immediately built upon by even more involved information. Although this was all practically forgotten in an instant when some subtle moment of humour crept in amongst the scurry and lit up the entire audience. Christopher Nolan handled this masterfully, right until the very end.

Apart from all of that, the story itself was something that I find incredibly interesting; the blurring of lines between dreams and reality. It's a concept, I believe, that many here on ATS already find intriguing. There were many lines and ideas throughout the film that immediately rang a bell with theories that I have found and read on this site.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to see it again on the big screen, not only so I could fully understand the smaller elements of the plot, but simply because it truly was a brilliant piece of cinema.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
i think he invented the entire scenario

he performed self inception !

he needed to find a way home to his children but at the same time trick his mind into thinking it had really happened.

the whole idea of the one phone call to get his back in the country was just to easy.

his toy at the end was the giveaway , although one could argue he didn't watch it play out its familiar movement because he was content with his current reality , i think the director put it there to make us wonder if he was in fact still dreaming.

Fantastic film. really admire Christopher Nolan for his work.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I really liked the movie, Thought it was fantastic.

I don't think he was awake at the end.... let's forget the top because it span for longer than usual, looked like it would fall and then the movie ends.... so forget the top.... also it only allows you to know you're dreaming in someone else's dream.... so if he's in limbo or a self-induced inception/whatever... then the top is already under his control.

Plus it wasn't his totem.... it was Mal's initially.... so that whole thing is already unstable.

His children..... why would they be sat in the same position, wearing the same clothes when he meets them at the end, as they have been in his "dreams" all the way through.
Plus when he speaks to his kids on the phone at one point in the movie, his daughter sounds MUCH older than she looks at the end.

So although it's supposed to be kind of ambiguous, I can't see the ending being "Real"..... I think he's in limbo and died earlier.
Plus he's like an expert.... he spent 50 years in limbo.

Hmmmmmm

I'm undecided about the WHOLE movie being a dream... although it starts and ends in a dream.... so it wouldn't surprise me.

I've only seen it once and I'm desperate to see it again...

[edit on 8/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I`ve never "known" I was dreaming, even when strange things happen, they are never strange enough to make me think "this must be a dream". And it sucks because my dreams always involve some kind of danger, and though I am often armed, it seems like I`m almost always on the defensive, or running and hiding. One time I was in what seemed to be a post-apocalyptic america walking down some kind of dried out irrigation ditch like from the car race scene in the movie Grease except narrower and instead of bridges at intervals there were tunnels. I never saw the movie Grease until about 8 years after the dream so it wasn`t anything to do with that. I was with at least 2, maybe 3 or 4 other people. We were armed with some futuristic pistols that had a digital display showing some info and some buttons on the side for some kind of settings you could change. Just as we exited one of the tunnels we could see someone emerging into the sunlight from the next tunnel at the same time. We trained our weapons and shouted orders and the man complied. After a pat-down and short conversation which I don`t remember any of, it was decided that we could not let him live for some reason. He was already up against a concrete wall, so I pressed a few buttons and made some adjustments to my sidearm, I`m assuming I was modifying the "type" of bullet that would be discharged for the next 1 round because I was so close that the end of the barrel was almost touching his foreheadm I expected to hesitate at least but I pulled the trigger of thart hi-tech weapon right away, and before my eyes, a round musket ball type of thing starts rolling down the barrel and drops out so it lands harmlessly on the ground. Then, I just woke up.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I'll discuss it with you. I thought the whole thing preposterous and annoying. I like Di Caprio as an actor but I hated this movie. More shoot em up, blow em up nonsense. Some nifty effects though like the streets of Paris curling up over your head.
Don't waste your money on this movie!!

Did you cry then send them a letter?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
His children..... why would they be sat in the same position, wearing the same clothes when he meets them at the end, as they have been in his "dreams" all the way through.
Plus when he speaks to his kids on the phone at one point in the movie, his daughter sounds MUCH older than she looks at the end.

Very interesting. I thought this as well at the end of the film and found it a little confusing at the time, but entirely forgot about it until now. Thanks for bringing that up. When Cobb spoke to James, his son, initially towards the start of the movie, the kid sounded evidently a lot older than he appeared in Cobb's memory, and at the end of the film. HMMMMMM.. I can't believe I forgot about this.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

As soon as I saw the kids were in the same clothes & position I just thought DREAM.
Plus the whole end scenario is very dream-like... colours, vibe... all of it.

Plus yes... the daughter sounded like a teen.... sounded annoyed at him and kind of sarcastic.. can't imagine a little 5-6 year old girl being like that.

I need to see it again because I think there are more clues too.... but on only one viewing, there's a lot to take in.
It didn't confuse me really and all these people moaning that this film is crap and complicated and pretentious and so on..... just piss me off.
Stick to Transformers.....

I LOVE ambiguous films and films that get inside your head and make you think... It's what makes movies special.

[edit on 8/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Plus the whole end scenario is very dream-like... colours, vibe... all of it.

Plus yes... the daughter sounded like a teen.... sounded annoyed at him and kind of sarcastic.. can't imagine a little 5-6 year old girl being like that.

I need to see it again because I think there are more clues too.... but on only one viewing, there's a lot to take in.
It didn't confuse me really and all these people moaning that this film is crap and complicated and pretentious and so on..... just piss me off.
Stick to Transformers.....

I LOVE ambiguous films and films that get inside your head and make you think... It's what makes movies special.

I'm with you on all of that. I was a bit confused at the end because I was under the impression that the kids would be older than they appeared, but didn't even think to relate it to a dream sequence, for some unknown reason

There was a lot to take in which is why I would definitely see it again. With films like these, there are always a plethora of tiny intricacies that add so much to the end product.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp
[more

Per the message's list of intended recipients above, why do you think you're the victim here?

Well you qouted my post and responded to it, and made an example of it, so it does kinda imply me. but it´s all good I guess.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I haven't seen the movie but it sounds like the Matrix meets Existenz.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
I think that the Movie "Inception" may be just what it implies that it is...

The Inception of an Idea.

Maybe the movie is trying to do to you, what the cast is doing to their "Mark"

-Edrick

I watched it again with my daughter, she couldn't decided whether he was dreaming or not in the end.

But she helped me through some of the other aspects I didn't understand,

I am still confused, lol

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pretty_vacant

Very interesting. I thought this as well at the end of the film and found it a little confusing at the time, but entirely forgot about it until now. Thanks for bringing that up. When Cobb spoke to James, his son, initially towards the start of the movie, the kid sounded evidently a lot older than he appeared in Cobb's memory, and at the end of the film. HMMMMMM.. I can't believe I forgot about this.

Yes the children finally acknowledge him, it is like dreams we can control, he finally controlled the outcome of his dream?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join