It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil now leaking "a distance from the well" ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Tests relating to the recently recapped oil well in the Gulf of Mexico have detected a "seep a distance from the well," Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said in a letter to a BP official. Allen, in a letter to BP Chief Managing Director Bob Dudley, directs BP to provide a written procedure for restarting flow from the well if oil seepage near the wellhead is confirmed.

www.cnn.com...

This is bad news because it would mean that the well bore is damaged below the seafloor, which means the only way to stop it from leaking will be the completion of the relief well and plugging the bore with mud and cement from below.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Blazer]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

uh-oh

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Heres another blurb about it:

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Isn't it a little funny that we knew and they told us that the pipe was damaged, we'd seen the background screens in CNN, feeds and other sources showing huge amounts of plumes coming outta the seafloor a month back, yet magically all this is fixed and they can just cap the well off? What function did that relief well have if BP has mentioned nothing about concreting? It seems they've simply stuck a straw in it and closed the top of the main well off, or attempted to. This stinks as much as the slick reports 2 weeks before deepwater went down. Usual practice for these guys is to make deepwater the 'look at me' event while something else is going on...

Couldn't waste all this money and not get any oil eh?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It appears BP doesn't want to comply with what is directed for them to do when a leak is detected. I see trouble brewing and not just with the oil.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

it has been postulated by 'whatsup' that they may not want to remove the cap because they dont want the Gov't. to get an accurate measure on the flow.

Originally posted by whatsup
Something I have been pointing out, and other ATSers are not discussing enough, has to do with BP's intent TO NOT allow that oil/gas to rise through that new top device. EPA laws mandate a fine of $4k per barrel retroactive upon 'verification' of flow. We are talking current fines into the billions folks if they have to establish proof of flow.

It is my opinion that they keep pushing this test for that very reason, and a blow out would be in their best interest, because it would divert flow to areas where certain measurement cannot then be established. I wouldn't therefore doubt that BP is extending this test IN HOPES of a blowout. There is no way in hell that BP wants that oil/gas flowing to the top and into ships where the flow will be verified. So think about it, what is the bloody reason for this test in the first place if they can capture this oil to the top while they await the relief well (and therefore not further jeopardize the well). Opinions?

[edit on 18-7-2010 by whatsup]

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Cap a Leak and Trade for a New Leak
Sounds like that Cap and Trade Bill
Now I understand.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
it has been postulated by 'whatsup' that they may not want to remove the cap because they dont want the Gov't. to get an accurate measure on the flow.

This is the consensus the oil men I have talked to have reached. That last thing BP wants is for the gov. to have an accurate measure of the flow.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i've been watching this close, not just on ATS but also what the msm is reporting, and in just a day it seems that both the msm and the government are starting to distance themselves from BP in the face of an even worse senario.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I would think that BP is trying to force the goverments hand in this.

This quote is from the above linked article.

"Officials at the Department of Homeland Security referred questions to a "statement issued by Allen; neither he nor BP officials could explain the apparent contradiction in plans.

Suttles' comments carved out an important piece of turf for BP: If Allen sticks with the containment plan and oil again pours forth into the Gulf, even briefly, it will be the government's doing, not BP's.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is not good, if there is one I bet there are many more! Dammit I was hoping this latest thing went off without a hitch!

[edit on 18-7-2010 by paradiselost333]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

was thinking exactly the same when I saw this article as a headline in the news this morning (Europe).
There was a lot of speculation and discution about this in the last weeks on ats. I was hoping that it was just doom-talk.... and for once I'm not glad that some ats members where right all along.
anyway, I keep thinking: if 'we' knew it, then 'they' knew about it aswell... another example of how this f***** up world works!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
on bbc too

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Well, everyone was screaming and hollering to stop the leak. What were they suppose to do? Everyday the American people are hammering BP about the leak. Yet, you guys still support deep water drilling. Yet you guys still don't support agressive measures (taxes) to get us off fossil fuels.

Everything we know to be true is the relief well is the only thing that can stop a leak of this magnitude. But you guys kept screaming and hollering because the GOP wants to make this a political thing instead of a disaster.

Once again it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt the American people don't know what they want. They need politicians and MSM to tell them what they want.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean
They need politicians and MSM to tell them what they want.

yep...and who wants it so?..whos created this dependancy?..who benefits from this dependancy the most?

same answer to all 3 questions

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
they may not want to remove the cap because they dont want the Gov't. to get an accurate measure on the flow.

in case you haven't checked lately.... BP is the government

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

ComeClean

I actually agree with your sentiment here.....

I Know others will think this subversive and Pro- BP but you make a rational point ...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean
Yet, you guys still support deep water drilling. Yet you guys still don't support agressive measures (taxes) to get us off fossil fuels.

Taxes? you mean carbon taxes... Cap n' Trade? And shut down drilling? Wow ... that should help America right now. More taxes and less jobs... Of course it's good for global warming... a nice colder planet... just what the Americans need when they're sleeping out in the streets.... Why don't you run for office? That's if you're an American.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

'DRILL BABY DRILL'

The S Palin & Republican supporters party........

- (I live in the UK (clue in the name) but follow American Politics when I can..... Your point Soleprobe falls down in the fact that America is a place POLARISED by your GOD which is the Dollar, Greenback etc etc.... Until you as a population BREAK this then evrything will follow a circular pattern and NOTHING will change....... maybe we all need a good NEW world War to break the cycle !!??

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
'DRILL BABY DRILL'

The S Palin & Republican supporters party........

What a scripted response.... Maybe I'll go to Palin's website and dig up a scripted reply

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join