It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighters Flooded Rig, Caused Oil Spill, Suit Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Firefighters Flooded Rig, Caused Oil Spill, Suit Says

www.businessweek.com

July 15 (Bloomberg) -- The worst oil spill in U.S. history was triggered by firefighting boats that flooded the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig with water, causing it to sink into the Gulf of Mexico and damage BP Plc’s well, a lawsuit claims.

Commercial fishermen, waterfront property owners and oil industry workers who have lost jobs because of the oil spill yesterday sued 17 companies whose fireboats responded to the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon on April 20. The rig was still attached to the subsea well when it sank two days later.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This is crazy. The firefighters are being sued for trying to do their jobs. Only in America!!! If the BOP had worked properly then there would have only been a fraction of the oil spilled. Everybody is so sue happy these days. You can hardly sneeze in public without getting sued for punative damages. I can't believe this.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well pardon them for trying to save lives. Wow.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
why do so many fawn over the debutantes/firefighters? they coulda used halon..i guess that woulda required thought.. not something required of a tard who just has to spray water on a fire!!! a 3 year old can figure that out

get off the firefighter jock america!!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
why do so many fawn over the debutantes/firefighters? they coulda used halon..i guess that woulda required thought.. not something required of a tard who just has to spray water on a fire!!! a 3 year old can figure that out

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Firefighters were there to put out a fire, there was a fire! Why don't the people sue BP for the initial safety issues that caused it to blow in the first place. This is just plain nuts-ola!

Help I am drowing in Americaization!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

So if your home catches fire - do you expect them to take more time to find some flour instead of using water which is more efficient and readily available. I take offense that you call them tards, they do more than put out fires, they risk their lives to save the lives of others.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

This was also reported on the very day it happened but got drown out in Anti bp /corporates/globalisation shouting , the fireboats capsised the rig, by pouring water on an oil/gas fire,,eg broke firefighting at sea safety rule number 1.....

Of course ,they were trying to save lives , but here we can seee how different factors all come into play during Accidents/disasters , lots of little pieces of the puzzle all coming together to create a major snafu

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Lol. Let me guess - you couldn't pass the test and now you hold a grudge? Such hostility...

Were the 17 agencies negligent? I guess it's up to a jury now.

However, I think it important to note that people are pissed off, jobs are lost, environmental damage up the wazooo, etc. Everyone is looking for someone to blame, everyone is either looking for compensation or looking to defend from having to compensate. Lot a money in this disaster... this is just another example of those trying to get a part of it.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
www.azooa.com...

www.azooa.com...

Perhaps you should tell them how you feel. Just sayin'

Suits and counter-suits.... the corporate dance begins.

Just consider this... if they win, BP can argue shared liability with the state.

Any guesses who put them up to this?

(Nah! I'm just being paranoid
)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have to say, this theory is one of the first things I read after the initial reports.

It was an on-the-scene account from an experienced first responder who said that the only thing that would cause a rig like this to sink was water from up top, which is exactly what happened.

I'll look for the link. It might have been an Oil Drum post. I dunno.

Still, if BP had followed their own safety procedures and the workers on board had been more forthright about their concerns, this never would have happened...

reply to post by gambon

Yep. Experienced riggers said this from the start.

[edit on 15/7/2010 by kosmicjack]

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
not unusual all they know is to put water on a fire.

I fought a fire at sea. i know what the problems are fighting fires..
on March 17, 1973 i was on the USS Enhance in Haiphong Harbor north Vietnam during Operation Endsweep when we had a engine room fire.

I have also been a volunteer fighter/EMT.

There was no way to stop the fire on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig.

With the oil and gas blowout feeding the fire there was no hope of saving the rig.

This lawsuit is a Frivolous lawsuit with no hope.
The federal judge should toss it out and save taxpayers money paying for this Frivolous lawsuit.

And the ships that came to fight the fire can claim that they were required to fight the fire under the Maritime and Admiralty Law and had The Obligation to Render Assistance.

In the United States, federal law (46 USCS sec. 2304) requires the master of any vessel subject to U.S. jurisdiction to ’render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost,’ so long as the assistance can be rendered without endangering the rescuing vessel or individuals on board. This law is part of an international treaty (the International Convention on Salvage, 1989), which extends the obligation to mariners throughout the world.

There were people still in the rig(likely dead already but the ships captains that were fighting the fire could not know that) so the fire fighting comes under 46 USCS sec. 2304

Also as soon as the first Coast Guard ship showed up its captain became incident commander and takes charge of all firefighting efforts this means that all the captains of the firefighting ships were under Coast Guard command.

You have to know maritime laws and shore side laws do not apply in this case.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Yep I said first rule of fighting fire at sea , dont sink the vessel..

My father said to me as soon as he heard , he worked on oil rig supply ships for 14 years , and that " they just seem to be pouring the water on , they are gonna sink it"

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

IMO and I have said this before on other posts , the coastguard have created more problems since they became involved in a situation way above any of there training , the added beauracracy thay have brought to the gulf is apparently intense , blocking fishermen from helping because of insurance etc,

If indeed the coastguard was responsible for telling the firecrews to pour it on then they are guilty incompetance and recklessness imo..the coastguard didnt realise the horizon was still attached to the well head when it sank...

[edit on 16-7-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I can not belive the water sank it.
are they not ment to stay up in heavy storms?

if they had let it burn.
would it not have colapst from the intence heat?

the sad thing is.
I bet they let they get away with this

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Awww...Hell Nah!!!

I have no need for a second line unless this gets taken seriously in our courts...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Rig sunk or not, the oil was by that time gushing from a system made defunct by the initial surge.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
I can not belive the water sank it.
are they not ment to stay up in heavy storms?

if they had let it burn.
would it not have colapst from the intence heat?

the sad thing is.
I bet they let they get away with this

All the seals on hatches, pipes, valves, would have melted, metal would have warped to the point water would have come in and flooded the rig.

Once the integrity of the rig was compromised by fire it would sink even if no water was put on the fire.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog

You have to be kidding right? Either you are a master of sarcasm or you have a paper as*.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Why didnt BP close it off before the firefighters did their thing?
Or am I missing something here?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join