It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I object to this blatant disinformation and propoganda by ATS on their home page

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
reply to post by MrDesolate

Don't worry about my investments they are sound,
What you should worry about is being led by the nose by all the discreet propaganda shrouded in parody around you that you don't even realize it is there.
By the looks of things I think you have already succumbed. So sad.

Sheeple much?

First off, a banner doesn't "lead me by the nose", infact when I saw it I realized it's satirical tone and had a good laugh. I believe most comedians agree comedy is the easiest means to convey truth.....

Second, the truth IS that BP a) hasn't been transparent at all b) has been more concerned for profits than protecting our coasts. (And who can blame them...they are a FOREIGN corporation). c) They've lied to us from day 1 about how much oil was coming out. Hell they haven't even given us a PROPER estimate, first starting with 1,000 barrels a day and only going up from there...now it's between 30k-60k barrels PER day....

and lastly, if EVERY person who found a problem with something on the ATS homepage made a thread criticizing it....we'd eventually end up with just a blank white page....Surely that is what this OP wants? To be fair to all yes?

ZOMG I just saw a Red Baron pizza ad on the homepage! (Seriously, it's there) and I work for Little Tony's, this isn't right and I DEMAND the people WHO OWN THE SITE take it down......

The OP should learn not to take everything so seriously and have a laugh every once in awhile....Then again...how could the OP laugh as he sees his stocks tank...Good luck! Hopefully the stock rises for ya...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Sheeple much?

You're the one with the personal financial stake.

Vulture frequently?

Beyond sad indeed.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Whilst I do support the motive of the banner, it undermines the impartial nature of ATS.
Therefore...

Line 2

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Personally, I object to your distortions of facts in the service of your investments.

I also object to the idea that anyone would invest in a corrupt company that has proven themselves competent mostly at lying, and then have the gall to demand neutrality by all and sundry to protect those investments.

Anyone with an ounce of moral fiber would disinvest in a company that has ruined the lives and livelihoods of millions of people, an entire ecosystem, and the future of the Gulf because they were "saving" money.

It isn't "just business".

BP is a criminal company whose actions and incompetemce have killed scores of people directly and will kill thousands, at least, more in a variety of ways. As long as you hold their stock and benefit from what they've done, you personally share the responsibility and guilt for the negligent murders. Enjoy profiting from the death of others, KNOWINGLY profiting from the death and misery of others.

Do the morally right thing and divest yourself of the stock and refuse to show support and approval for a company that created mankind's worst ecological disaster ever. Then you won't angst over a simple truthful banner.

Or buy more to show how much you care for money and yourself, and how little for people, the wildlife, and the planet.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
You folks who are riled up about this - you never watch the Colbert Report, or visit The Onion, or watched Saturday night live, or Letterman, or Leno (or Mock the Week/Have I Got news for You in the UK)?

And yet its exactly the same as the fayre they offer up.

Its not leading people into anything. Its not attributable. Its not propaganda.

The banner is satire and social commentary.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Those of you pi**ing and moaning about this , reminds me of the ADL and ACLU , who pi** and moan about anything and everything they find offensive .

How many of you took offense when the ADL was slandering ATS posters awhile back ?

Hypocrites .

If you don't like what the owners do here , why don't you move on over to one of those less savory sites ?

You don't come into a man's place of business and tell him to remove something just because you don't agree with it .

I find a lot of your posts offensive . I see a lot of avatars that I feel are in poor taste . I've seen things in your signatures that I don't approve of .

Not once , have I demanded that you remove these things because I disagree with them .

How many of you support this site in some financial manner ?

That's what I thought .

Get over it children .

[edit on 16-6-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well it looks like they took it down....I think it should have stayed up till they fix the problem and they pay back all the people who have suffered from this so called accident.
All the wild life dead.
All the fisherman and women who will go hungry and lose there houses.
All the plants.
The reefs.
Not to mention the fact that these waters will be contaminated for many many years to come.
I think one little banner is nothing compared to what we will all suffer at the pump.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I stand corrected its still up....good

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I understand the satirical sentiment, but at the same time it may lead SOME people to view ATS as less than impartial, in this particular instance, and that in turn may lead SOME people to question the neutrality of the site, which in turn may alter SOME peoples perceptions about ATS.

It doesn't appear to me that ATS has a horse in this particular race, but I certainly understand why SOME people may think it has.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the damn banner - I see it as a little harmless, although thought provoking fun.

Unfortunately, others may take it to mean something completely different, and the bottom line is, if it has the potential to harm ATS in any way, shape or form, then it should be taken down.

Or to put it another way, someone working for BP may be able to use it as a weapon against ATS - is that something we really want?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I like the banner!!
Bring on the Age of Electricity!!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

Do the morally right thing and divest yourself of the stock and refuse to show support and approval for a company that created mankind's worst ecological disaster ever. Then you won't angst over a simple truthful banner.

Gee that would be smart, yeah let all the BP investors "disinvest" in BP and let them go chapter 11 so that everyone else is left holding the bag and the Brits lose their retirement savings. That would just make my conscience feel at ease wouldn't it?
don't be a knee-jerk reactionary fool.

The kindest thing I can do is keep my investment where it is and wish the company the best so that all of its pensioners and employees will survive this.
And don't forget all of the contract companies and their employees that make most of their yearly total from BP and associates.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

HEHEHE, I'd be crying too about BP if I were you. Not such a prudent investment now EH? You should have invested in a CLEAN, environmentally safe company instead of one that DESTROYS the planet. SO, THATS YOUR OWN FAULT, BOO-HOO.

Sinking ship....SOS, SOS, SOS.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Shine71]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElijahWan

reply to post by MrDesolate

Don't worry about my investments they are sound,
What you should worry about is being led by the nose by all the discreet propaganda shrouded in parody around you that you don't even realize it is there.
By the looks of things I think you have already succumbed. So sad.

Sheeple much?

First off, a banner doesn't "lead me by the nose", infact when I saw it I realized it's satirical tone and had a good laugh. I believe most comedians agree comedy is the easiest means to convey truth.....

Second, the truth IS that BP a) hasn't been transparent at all b) has been more concerned for profits than protecting our coasts. (And who can blame them...they are a FOREIGN corporation). c) They've lied to us from day 1 about how much oil was coming out. Hell they haven't even given us a PROPER estimate, first starting with 1,000 barrels a day and only going up from there...now it's between 30k-60k barrels PER day....

and lastly, if EVERY person who found a problem with something on the ATS homepage made a thread criticizing it....we'd eventually end up with just a blank white page....Surely that is what this OP wants? To be fair to all yes?

ZOMG I just saw a Red Baron pizza ad on the homepage! (Seriously, it's there) and I work for Little Tony's, this isn't right and I DEMAND the people WHO OWN THE SITE take it down......

The OP should learn not to take everything so seriously and have a laugh every once in awhile....Then again...how could the OP laugh as he sees his stocks tank...Good luck! Hopefully the stock rises for ya...

No, BP is as much an American company as it is British. Please people, facts are facts.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
You folks who are riled up about this - you never watch the Colbert Report, or visit The Onion, or watched Saturday night live, or Letterman, or Leno (or Mock the Week/Have I Got news for You in the UK)?

The objection I have (had) isn't about ANYTHING other than ATS's stated policy of not taking sides in issues. It's not about whether or not it's morally right or wrong to take a side or other entities' practices. It's not about comparing ATS to other shows or sites or anything. It's about what I have read here about ATS not taking a side. That's it.

I'm not complaining, just going for clarity.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Source
The conditions couldn't be better for this type of disaster. the deep depth and natural currents are helping a great deal....

...not one square inch of beach has been touched by the oil...

A little something about the fishermen that have been "impacted" fishing/shrimping has not been good in the southern states for years due to overfishing and imported seafood...This oil leak is just what the fishermen have been waiting for to make some money by suing someone else. The MSM and you gloomers are helping them out....most of them sell most their fish for cash and skip paying taxes...

...this is much ado about nothing.

The USCG, Navy and BP have the leaked oil contained...

Been worse leaks and spills and spews in the Gulf...

UNLIKE the gloomers who use only feelings to back up their clams.

Drilling the relief well will stop it.

When you say "we have removed" you actually mean hurricanes and natural erosion and wave action right hun? you don't really think humans are responsible for natural occuring erosion?...do you???

zombies are running up and down the streets!!!! run!!! run!!!

I'm still right and you're still a....gloomer.

Our situation is better becasue of the depth...

Some of you can't deal with facts and reason so you resort to attacking the messenger....

...none of the carcasses has obvious signs of oil.

Now go away the adults have business to attend to.

Tar balls are naturally occuring.

Tar is a naturally occurring substance it ALWAYS washes up to the beaches.

As far as you "fishing business" you and I both know it has gone downhill since the Chinese started dumping their products unchecked into our markets. So lets not pretend you were in a thriving industry prior to this incident....

...the tar balls are not related to the leak...

...have seen computer models that have estimated the oil could reach the East coast and possibly the UK... It will miss FLA though.
I don't know why I find that kind of funny.

I have alot of money invested in BP and other energy related companies so I know more than most about the oil industry and service companies that work in the oil field.

At our current rate of leakage we would need to leak for 90 days to EQUAL the size of those incidents.

I should be ashamed because I made alot of money by investing in BP?

I do sleep well at night, very well actually, you should see my bed

And could you show me the 'sufering and death" that you speak of? show me suffering and death, show me, wanna see pics of suffering and death please.

Keep searching, there has to be some suffering and death going on due to the enormity of this leak right? try google, look up, "suffering death oil leak" go ahead, I'll come back and check on your progress in a little while.

Have not seen a dead bird yet...

I paid alot of money to make sure I got "hired" on this boat with this crew

Now, considering the above pile of absolutely atrocious and utter rubbish spewed by you in a recent thread of yours, what in the world do you think you have to tell this site about posting accurate or libelous information? You call fishermen lazy tax cheats and tell us the Oil was contained, that no animals are dying because of the oil, brag about how much money you make from investing BP, and call other members here gloomers. I don't think you have a bit of room to talk to anybody about propaganda here, that said however, amazingly, I kind of agree with you. If it isn't a direct quote it shouldn't be portrayed as one, but of all the posters on this forum of late, you should be the last one screaming about propaganda.

link   
I say the banner should stay and be debated like it allready does.If we'll start taking down things we don't like then where are we gonna stop...?We'll even be able to stop?
We allready have "political correctness" around us surpressing our rights (at least IMHO).Let's not start snipping off what we don't like.Let's debate em instead.

link   
reply to post by Shine71

Assuming I am not diversified in other forms of energy investments.
Assuming $50k will make or break me.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by neformore

The objection I have (had) isn't about ANYTHING other than ATS's stated policy of not taking sides in issues. It's not about whether or not it's morally right or wrong to take a side or other entities' practices. It's not about comparing ATS to other shows or sites or anything. It's about what I have read here about ATS not taking a side. That's it.

I'm not complaining, just going for clarity.

Having only been a member for a very short time, I am convinced that ATS is one of the better conduits to open dialogue out there. There are many posters who hold good journalistic integrity and many who just see ATS as an opportunity to get on the soap box and rant about anything if only to get a rise out of someone.

This is a little like the Israel and Palestine posts - one wants to shout louder than the other and opportunity for reasonable debate is thrown out the window. There is a lot that needs to be discussed about this disaster which was caused by a lot of companies with UK and USA investor interests.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
You're reaction to the banner seems out of proportion with the reality of the situation.

No one was quoted. The sentiment conveyed invites the visitor to examine the collection of threads (hardly a good idea if you want to implant a message.)

As a member, I applaud you bringing this up. I know it is a chore to disagree with many people who have a lot to say on a subject. It can never be said that you shy away from such exchanges.

Nevertheless, I disagree that it is 'representative' of ATS anymore than any single comment or remark could be representative of any community this size.

What it will achieve is much more consistent with the external realities of the business of the Internet, and like it or not, we are constrained to that model.

Insofar as the sensitivity we should all have for pensioners and investors... it's call risk. It is the ostensible reason for the return. Sometimes, you lose. BP was a bad choice of investment. Many other bad choices have surfaced and many more will continue to surface....

Barring corporatists government bailouts... the free market is replete with such stories. Why did the investment managers go with this particular investment, because there was little risk? Damn straight! There WAS little risk... assuming no rogue decision-maker pushes the boundaries of good business in the name of profiteering.... Don't blame the community for being fuming mad about the event... that's like blaming the rape victim for being 'in the vicinity’ of the rapist.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Whoa! Wait...

Your obviously biased towards BP. It is evident in your many threads/posts condemning those who cry out against BP actions, or lack thereof. It is also evident in your financial stake in all of this.

So you start a thread demanding neutrality as if it is something you hold yourself to when it is evident that the only reason you object to the banner is due to the fact that you have no problem with what is going on right now and think everyone is over reacting.

Obviously my argument is a circumstantial ad hominem against you. I am just saying that you need to be a little more up front with why you object to the banner instead of claiming it is in the interest of neutrality.

My thoughts on the banner? It's an OBVIOUS display of satire for goodness sakes. You claim the site should remain neutral in their stance on the matter? I disagree. The owners don't demand that we all remain unbiased in our opinions so why should they be beholden to a higher standard? It's a private website and the owners have a right to voice their opinions once in awhile, especially when faced with such a travesty.

Up until now, the owners have not made their thoughts readily evident regarding this disaster. Them using this satirical banner is their way of letting those who come to this site who may be newbies or even veterans finally know that they are just as fed up as the vast majority of US citizens and even those in other countries. Give them a freaking break.

Your in THEIR house. You respect their wishes.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join