It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a Christian dating a Muslim, and not once has she tried to kill me for my beliefs.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In fact, she respects the way I was raised and tries to understand my culture in order to better herself. A year and a half later, she hasn't even attempted to suicide bomb my apartment or kill me for watching the World Cup. I might kill her if she DOESN'T let me watch.

To be honest, I am too open to consider myself a Christian anymore, but I was raised in the Methodist church and it made me the peaceful person I am today. She was raised as a Muslim, 1st generation Saudi Arabian (about as strict as it gets) here in America. She is also very open and very peaceful, largely due to the teachings of Islam. NOT due to the laws put in place by the sociopathic leadership in the Middle East.

I'm growing tired and very saddened by the anti-Islamic sentiment happening in America and here on ATS. I completely understand that, at face value, Muslims seem to be absolutely bat-sh** crazy to outsiders. But murderous Islamic law is not derived from the Quran, it is derived from people using a unifying idea to manipulate the masses and maintain power through force. Islam has been subverted by power-hungry lunatics, just as democracy and Christianity have been in the United States. Combined with Western propaganda, it looks like madness. If Dick Cheney lived on the Arabian peninsula, he'd throw on a keffiyeh and start killing women for showing their ankles in public in the name of Islam.

The thing we all need to accept is that people are people, and nobody has a choice where they are born and how they are raised. If you believe that an entire group of people are insane due to practicing a religion based on peace, then you are a victim of propaganda, pride and ignorance. Muslims are not born full of hate, and their religious texts don't promote it. Their national texts do.

TPTB are simply causing an emotional division on a worldwide scale both in the West and the East, and if you can't see through that, then you are not denying ignorance.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Anti islamic on ats ? There's always about 3 or 4 threads to do with christianity. And to be honest. I haven't seen any atheist attack islam the way they do christians.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Threads like this. Some members are getting 50 stars for calling Islam the "Religion of Death".

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It's not the women who kill you... it's the parents who disown the women and the news reports are of the father usually harming them as a result.
This happens more often than we'd like to admit.

And no, I'm not against Islam or Muslims...I'm respect all cultures, even the misunderstood ones...

But, like it or not, this does happen...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
she is just waiting for the right moment!!

man, just stop .. some people are sick, doesnt matter the religion, race or whatever

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
And I agree with you, Christians are equally attacked, sometimes even more so. I don't align myself with any religion anymore, but I also no longer make sweeping generalizations about people due to their religious beliefs. I found it only destroys myself.

I'm not a Muslim sympathizer, I'm a human sympathizer.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hello I'm have been called a terrorist and a traitor to Born Again Christianity simply because I have Muslim friends and I support Palestine's right to exist. I am a Anti Zionist Born Again Christian

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I'll be honest, sometimes she does get that look in her eye that haunts my dreams.

Some people are sick. Some people who harshly criticize entire groups of people they've never met are sick.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by whitl103

Do her parents know she is dating someone who is not a muslim?

Its a question I'd like to know, not to long a go a father killed his daughter for wearing American close and not be a traditional Muslim.... Does she act like a Saudi? Wear the veil go to the mosque all the time?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You have nothing to worry about. Your girlfriend is in much more danger than you are. Hope she doesn't have brothers or a father living nearby.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It is truly a shame that anywhere you go, people will be what they were taught and not as they truly are. To give love is a sacrifice. A sacrifice that most don't want to give. It is easier to hate, and make fun of someone, than to accept and love them for who they really are. Someone just like you.

My wife was a beautiful girl (outside) once, and a stroke took that away, but still the inner beauty remains, she is the most peace loving and forgiving person I know. She is also the most opposite person to my way of thinking that I know.

Kudos to you, love that woman, show people that above all else there is love. A love that is blind to racism, elitism, and most of all bigotry...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It sounds like you're both 'former' christian/muslims. No offense, but her religion would hardly endorse/allow her dating you, and yours, were you to still follow it, would probably have you convinced she was hell-bound, having not accepted Jesus as lord.
I'm certainly open to people being able to rise above their religious upbringing, but let's not pretend the religions themselves are institutions of tolerance and understanding. It's simply not true.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Her parents know and accept me. Her father is a Muslim convert. Her mother was born Muslim. Honestly, she does have concern about her extended family in Saudi Arabia knowing she dates a non-Muslim, and she will not tell them. It's sad, but they are that way because of how the country is.

She used to wear the hijab, but she stopped because the purpose is to promote modesty, and wearing it in the United States draws more attention to yourself rather than less. She no longer goes to the Mosque.

The point I want to illustrate most is that she was born and raised that way, still holds positive beliefs from it, but has applied logic and acceptance to her beliefs because she had the opportunity to do so, away from the strictness and brainwashing of political Islamists.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I spent Memorial Day grilling with her father. I will not be able to marry her without "officially" converting, but he accepts me with open arms. Her brother does have issues with me, but that's more because he's a protective Arab older brother and less because of the religion.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So much ignorance about Islam.

It's mostly fear of something they do not understand. The media does a damn good job of only showing the extremists outlook for Islam and not the middle ground folk who are quite well adjusted and no crazier than Christians who go to church every week.

Religious extremism is available in all flavors from EVERY religion, focusing on that however, as the basis of judgment for everybody who follow such a belief system, is utterly ridiculous.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
You must act now to apostate this muslim woman. She is probably hoping and praying to God (not the Allah) that you will take her away from Islam.

Do the right thing. Offer to apostate her and protect her for all time from the death sentence her family will place on her.

That would be the Christian thing to do. That would be the human thing to do.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Down, down, down at the very depths of the various "beliefs" that encompass religion....they are basically the same.

Generations of Humans have put various "labels" upon them...and, suffice to say, the 'original' ideas have splintered off into the incredibvle array that exist today.

Call them "sects" (for I will) in the initiation.

The 'splintering' of ANY religious "belief" into various sects isn't much different than what's seen in this microcosm that is known as 'ATS'....

(IF you aren't following this logic, perhaps you are 'new' to ATS...and in any case, it will eventually become more clear, in due course....)

SO....to the OP.....

Hang on, for your ride 'so far' may have seemed gentle....I can only say, as LONG as the Human Species insists on relying on antiquated, chilidish notions of 'religion'?

We, as a species, will never progress. The "basics" underlying, yes....even 'christian' and 'muslim' paradigms....(or ANY other "religion", just give it a 'name'...) fall apart ONCE the true A**hole 'believers' start to intervene....just wait, you will see.....

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by joechip
It sounds like you're both 'former' christian/muslims. No offense, but her religion would hardly endorse/allow her dating you, and yours, were you to still follow it, would probably have you convinced she was hell-bound, having not accepted Jesus as lord.
I'm certainly open to people being able to rise above their religious upbringing, but let's not pretend the religions themselves are institutions of tolerance and understanding. It's simply not true.

That's my point. Yes, we are essentially former members, but her Muslim family in America does endorse it because they have been introduced to free thought in America. Her Saudi family will not accept me as a non-Christian because that nation approaches Islam in that way.

I was lucky to be raised in a Christian church that is not fundamentalist and does not believe in the necessity of being "born again" to go to "heaven". Some members of the church would say she's going to hell, others would say no way, we both believe in the same God.

Sadly, there is very little tolerance in major religion today, but I'm saying that's not what they're originally based on. Jesus accepted everyone, and did not want to be exalted. He was trying to tell the world that people don't need to follow men, they need to follow God. And God is accessible to all people. People twist it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Down, down, down at the very depths of the various "beliefs" that encompass religion....they are basically the same.

Generations of Humans have put various "labels" upon them...and, suffice to say, the 'original' ideas have splintered off into the incredibvle array that exist today.

Call them "sects" (for I will) in the initiation.

The 'splintering' of ANY religious "belief" into various sects isn't much different than what's seen in this microcosm that is known as 'ATS'....

(IF you aren't following this logic, perhaps you are 'new' to ATS...and in any case, it will eventually become more clear, in due course....)

SO....to the OP.....

Hang on, for your ride 'so far' may have seemed gentle....I can only say, as LONG as the Human Species insists on relying on antiquated, chilidish notions of 'religion'?

We, as a species, will never progress. The "basics" underlying, yes....even 'christian' and 'muslim' paradigms....(or ANY other "religion", just give it a 'name'...) fall apart ONCE the true A**hole 'believers' start to intervene....just wait, you will see.....

Oh, I have seen and I agree with you whole-heartedly. I'm just saddened to see so many non-believers deepen the line in the sand when religious relations are already tense and full of ignorance.

As long as stupid people are born, religious fanatics will exist. But it's the people who are the fanatics. Other stupid people choose politics. Or race. I want to focus on the root of the problem, though. The fighting we do over religion is often more senseless than a political debate on homosexual rights or how many miles from a church a bar can be built or calling someone subhuman for being a slightly darker or lighter shade.

Intelligent people are far too often missing the point. But I have accepted that progress as a species is painfully slow. We are as strong as our weakest link.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Two things. You make your premise on being a christian, but she hasn't tried to kill you. Then, in the next sentence admit you aren't a christian. Then you insult christians, claiming "you're too open" to be a christian. That may explain why she likes you. And yes, there are muslims on ATS. Did you happen to read it the last two weeks. Either muslims or nazis. I've never seen so much irrational jew hating in my life. But hey, to each his own. right. Once, when I was a kid, I got a big pack of firecrackers. About halfway through, I lit one, but it didn't go off. So I picked it up. THEN it went off. Ouch. Seems like I was saying to my pals "See, they don't all explode."

<<   2  3  4 >>

join