It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Gulf Spill could cause Extinction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
There is a disturbing parallel to the Gulf of Mexico spill and the Permian Triassic Extinction Event, which was the largest extinction event in the Earth's History. If you are not already aware, you are living in the Holocene Mass Extinction which is predominantly caused by humans. Permian Triassic Extiction | Holocene Extinction

The planet has already shed countless lifeforms at the hands of industrial revolution and human exploitation of nearly every biological resource. The Gulf of Mexico will certainly accelerate the Holocene Mass Extinction as more and more species native to the Gulf region go extinct.

It is suggested that the Permian Triassic Extinction could have resulted by the release of methane hydrates from the sea floor. This caused a sea-level change, anoxia, increasing aridity and a shift in ocean circulation caused by climate change. The following toxic gases are already being released into the Ocean and atmosphere: Hydrogen Sulfide, Benzene, Methylene Chloride and methane hydrates are all seeping into the Ocean.

It may be some time before the extent of damage is fully realized, but one thing is certain, this horror show under the ocean is not helping stem flow of the Holocene Mass Extinction, it may in fact expedite us into "dead clads walking". Which is a term for a species that dies off thousands of years after an extinction event as a slow painful death march causes ecosystems to collapse.

What price are we now paying for our Oil?

[edit on 14-6-2010 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Personally I think the extinction level event happened when JP Morgan marginalised Tesla. Tesla was sent to us to provide clean and free energy specifically to ensure that we did not find ourselves in this situation. I think it is about time that the ICC actually did something useful instead of just perpetuating the historical myths taught to us by our satanic leaders.

Arrest all bankers, oil execs, pension fund managers, stock brokers, Big Pharm execs , tobacco execs, car makers, oh and the share holders too. If the share holders said NO do not do this be environmentally friendly then the execs would have to listen. As it is the share holders including you and I kept saying "Give us more cash, we want more cash, save money, make more cash, we want your filthy insidious cash that destroys lives but makes me rich."

Take them outside and shoot the lot of them. I sold all my shares so I don't get shot, ok!!!!!

No one killed us, we killed ourselves because we did not stand up and say NO! when we could have. we wanted the easy life, the care, the cash all of it. This is what happens when one life form thinks they are more important than other life forms.

If you have kids let them go out and play while there is still fresh air to breath and clean water to wash them off in.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
good points both
ah what the heck eh?
at least we got to live in interesting times...
ooops wait
thats an old Chinese curse.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

I hope we have all learned a lesson from this. Maybe that little baby I helped once will be my ticket through those pearly gates.

What if you get to heaven and there is a NO SMOKING sign up. ('
')

[edit on 14-6-2010 by chorizo4]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well... It could have contributed to the extinction.

On the other side of the globe ( that exact time on Earth ).
Russia was positioned right above a giant mantle plume. A Flood basalt. Well it decided to pop.
It was not just a pop actually. The eruption lasted for about a million years and covered
an estimate of 7 million square kilometers. Recent dating only shows it lasted for only 100.000 years.
Along with the gases which are common to get in the atmosphere during an eruption.
You can still see what the damage was. The region is called the Siberian traps.

There were more possible causes but I believe that it was a combination of all of them, leading the Earth into a spiral of doom and gloom.

Siberian traps

Extinction event

Edit : You are probably aware of the first part since you also linked to it.

I was a little to enthusiastic.

The growing Earth hypothesis from Maxlow tells a different story which you can read and see in a thread called : The Expanding Earth hypothesis.
By yours truly.
It states it is because it was of the merger of oceans. A must see if interested.

If you truly are concerned about the recent extinction.
I've created a thread on another topic on the same subject called :The Shocking Reality of Modern Day Extinction.

Just as disturbing IMO

I do think this is an interesting topic thank you for sharing.

~ Sinter

[edit on 6/14/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Why is everybody blaming BP? How were they supposed to know they might (I said might) be drilling into DOOMSDAY?

It's like if someone dropped a hand grenade into a chimp pen and the chimp pulled the pin not knowing what it was. Couldn't hardly blame it could you?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Coulda, woulda, shoulda! I'm sick from hearing all these scare tactics on the news and any media source. I tell you what, not one fkg. person knows for sure if a big fkg. meteor or space storm is going to hit this planet. No one knows what's going to happen in 2010 or if there's going to be any fkg. amageddon! So please, STFU about it all untill it is 100% confirmed! If you like being scared go rent a good zombie movie for christs sake.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

A lot was going on in that era, as for today, it looks like the BP spill will only contribute to the Holocene Extinction, at least accelerate it (however as you know extinction events can span thousands of years or more).

I have actually read your other threads, they are excellent and well researched. Top notch!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrispyB
Coulda, woulda, shoulda! I'm sick from hearing all these scare tactics on the news and any media source. I tell you what, not one fkg. person knows for sure if a big fkg. meteor or space storm is going to hit this planet. No one knows what's going to happen in 2010 or if there's going to be any fkg. amageddon! So please, STFU about it all untill it is 100% confirmed! If you like being scared go rent a good zombie movie for christs sake.

Hate to tell you. There is a big fooking problem here.

Nobody knows? What makes you think that?

RE: ET influence. There is some. What have you learned by this? Nothing?

Do you promise to do better next time or are you tired now? ST. Peter is waiting for you. What was your contribution anyway.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Really ? You did ? Cool.

Thank you.

On topic.

It seems that I missed a part when I read the article for the first time.

as large as was originally thought, and most of the additional area was shallow sea at the time. It is very likely that the seabed contained methane hydrate deposits and that the lava caused the deposits to dissociate, releasing vast quantities of methane.

I would say the flood basalt was the direct cause of the hydrates to escape at the same time.

However, the pattern of isotope shifts expected to result from a massive release of methane do not match the patterns seen throughout the early Triassic. Not only would a methane cause require the release of five times as much methane as postulated for the PETM,[11] but it would also have to be re-buried at an unrealistically high rate to account for the rapid increases in the 13C/12C ratio (episodes of high positive δ13C) throughout the early Triassic, before being released again several times.

I believe this says it is not the hydrate or it is not the primary cause. ( I could be wrong. I don't completely understand what it says )

The only dangers from methane are warming of the climate and replacing the available oxygen.

Both will definitely contribute to a more rapid extinction.
I guess we agree then.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

What is different in this case is the addition of Oil and other toxic gasses, but both stem from the sea floor. The oil itself can greatly reduce life in that region, as to the scope of the gasses toxifying the sea and air, we just have to wait for the scientific data to come in.

The BP disaster is quite alarming, and with an already growing extinction event, this certainly looks to help accelerate it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by KrispyB

its like chorizo4 said
you throw a link into a pen full of chimps and one of them clicks on it...
you can hardly blame him can you?

we are all gonna die I'm just taking my mind off it for a while by enjoing learning about how everything else bites the big one too

makes every beer taste that little bit more better ya know?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This needed to be said, d,aY . . .

It's estimated that ~30% of the species which existed pre-industrial revolution is now extinct, and that anywhere from 30-50% of what currently remains will be gone by the end of this century. That's not too long, folks. I have no doubt that this will, in currently unfathomable ways, accelerate the rate at which our actions destroy the earth's inhabitants. At some point in the relatively near future, Gaia will "fight back" by cutting off our food supply....ecosystem collapses. I hope the scale in time of my intuitions are incorrect, for I believe this will not take +1,000 years. Although I see it as the blink of an eye, it seems some of us may see the beginnings of this unfold.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

It is simple once the bottom of the food chain disappears.
It could be over in a year.

Once key species disappear then nature will go mental on one side and extinct on the other.

A down going spiral is already happening.

What I do not understand is this.

1. Why doesn't everybody does anything in his /her power to turn the tide... If that's even possible.

I can think of 3 options why not.
1 Something is really going to happen 2012 style.
2 Power and greed really does make people zombies. How can anyone be so stupid to go on while doom glooms on the horizon.
3 Religion comes true.

With every other big thing we've got protesters, celebreties , yes people, No people.

The seriousness of this event is even mentioned mainstream. Yet it remains quit.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

I don't think any of those toxic gases will be more then what we already have spilled.
It will sure add up tho.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

It is simple once the bottom of the food chain disappears.
It could be over in a year.

Yes, but in order for the phytoplankton/algae to die out, something enormous must occur . . . like spewing out billions of barrels of oil, and quadrillions of tons of various gases all at once. Depending on the true scale of the GOM disaster, this actually may be a possibility

Once key species disappear then nature will go mental on one side and extinct on the other.

A down going spiral is already happening.

What I do not understand is this.

1. Why doesn't everybody does anything in his /her power to turn the tide... If that's even possible.

I can think of 3 options why not.
1 Something is really going to happen 2012 style.
2 Power and greed really does make people zombies. How can anyone be so stupid to go on while doom glooms on the horizon.
3 Religion comes true.

With every other big thing we've got protesters, celebreties , yes people, No people.

The seriousness of this event is even mentioned mainstream. Yet it remains quit.

I literally went a bit insane trying to figure out this puzzle. I've been on facebook for over a year talking about various issues. One of them is the amount of species which go extinct each year, and the possible ramifications of this in the near future. I get, "who cares" , and "if you're not offering a solution, you're just contributing to the problem" , types of answers. It blows my freaking mind! These are global problems, and therefore require the global inhabitants to act in unison. I, alone, cause next to no change. People get confused and think that they're powerless to global problems because of this. What they don't realize is that we're only individuals, YET we're also part of a collective called humanity. The first steps to solve global issues MUST be to at least address them. To be aware of our "enemy". I'm simply attempting to do my part by informing others. With people's current mindset of being unempowered, NOTHING will change. I truly have little hope for humanity at this point. Sad, but true.

Most people are too overwhelmed by these thoughts. I think that people like you and I most likely have Asperger's, or something similar which allows us to view this situation and not blow a fuse. It's not the actual possibility of disaster which bothers me, it's the inability of mankind to address the issue as it is, and save ourselves from possible extinction or at least a highly dystopian future.

Einstein said that evil exists not because of the people who commit these acts, but because of the people who do nothing about it. It's also said that indifference (apathy) is the foundation upon which evil is built. Knowing both of these, I can't help but thin that humanity is in fact a virus on this earth, and we will ultimately be our own demise.

It is what it is. As conscientious members of humanity, we must continue to inform to our best ability, even if we are ridiculed each step of the way. Not doing so would be a grave mistake, imo. My hope is that collapse will be incremental enough to attempt and mitigate the consequences, and also strong enough so that we may see what is occurring with our own eyes. Seeing how much damage has already occurred, how many scientists have already spoken out, and how they are labeled even by "truth-seeking" members of ATS as pro-eugenicists and globalist controlled puppets
, I just don't see much chance of a change in time.

Welcome to humanity, enjoy the insanity ?!?

[edit on 15-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Sadly enough, I think you are right and I agree with everything you just said.

Have you seen the video Kandinsky posted and later I did it again ?
It's called : How we destroyed the oceans.

I posted it in my thread in my signature. I almost never feel sad, this makes me so sad.
It's not even that I scream at people "wake up" look and act.

I've heard people say, they won't do anything because it doesn't work anyway.
What a dumbasses . I will continue to shed some light. I hope people will start to see.

I'm doing my part.
I ware clothes until they are worn out. Shoes to. I even knitted my wallet.

Indifference is a problem but what about those people who know and still only see dollar signs ?

One of my favorite songs is on Dancing in the moonlight.
Always makes me happy.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Whoops

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Yes, I've watched that video three times now!

..... I just don't understand.

I'm 27 years old. 15 years ago, at the age of 12, I could see this was coming. I didn't even have any real information. It was just insight. I've got the personality type that takes one bit of truth and applies it universally to everything that's encountered. I was able to see through just a little bit of history, our current course of actions, and an understanding of human nature, and nature itself...that this was just around the horizon, relatively speaking.

At that age, I dare not say a word to anyone. Who would believe some punk kid? I drugged myself up hardcore, mostly because the pain of this foresight was too much to bear. After sobering up as a young adult, all of the feelings came back rushing over me like a tsunami. I've since felt compelled to let the world know what's coming. Still, I'm somehow thought of as a punk kid
Sucks looking so young for your age.

So I'm now partially crazy. People call me all sorts of things from psycho, to schizo, to insane, and .... sometimes when they listen carefully, brilliant, genius, and the like. I don't give a **** for any of the titles, I just wish people would look around and wisen up.

The thing is, so much must be done in so little time. Knowing this, and how little progress we've made over the last decade, I've practically gone insane.

What must be done:

We've gotta stabilize our population, and even though it's an unspeakable psycho-thought, we most likely will have to depopulate in one way or another. Either nature will do this for us, and it will most likely come after severe consequences have started to unfold for all of life on this planet, or someone takes charge and makes this happen.

However, in order for this to happen, people must be aware AND accept that we're overpopulated. It's taboo to speak of this. People automatically throw up wild assumptions of the one who speaks of this like a. crazy b. psycho.

However, in order for this to happen we must dethrone the ruling class, and go back to a more efficient way of living.

However, in order for this to happen we must realize that big business and globalization are part of the problem.

However, in order for that to happen we must realize that our media and a lot of our information sources are controlled.

However, in order for this to happen we must realize that the government spends bookoo's of $$$ to hire disinformants and create false websites.

However, in order for this to happen the people must open to the possibility that most everything they've ever heard or even said is a lie propagated by the system itself.

Once the ball gets rolling, people will align with the truth seekers, however much opposition will be enforced to keep the current paradigm alive. Perhaps this is where we already are at.

The scariest thought is that those who are in power hold that "red button". MAD. Even though it is an insane idea, we must realize we're dealing with insanely sadistic and selfish people. Perhaps, if we actually did get to the point of overthrowing the elite and being able to make sane, rational decisions on how to run this world, the elite would say F-it and wipe us all out ?

Like I said, I have little hope for humanity.

Too much to be done, and we're all so screwed as it is.

Yet I still continue on, so it must be noted that I too am insane.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

How old do they give you ?

I've seen problems but I was not as focused on them as you.
I belief myself to have the same trade you describe. Others don't get it but I tend to see a connection in almost everything. Weird thing is... It's usually true.

Population control is an issue I agree. Depopulation is not needed yet.
When the powers that be would be gone. Nations could makes their country economical self sufficient again. This would leave the land for food for the people of that specific country.
This way the don't need expand into nature. Wealth or our way of live is adopted everywhere and it least to less offspring. The population will decline or stabilize.

The biggest thread comes from the billions of people in the growing economies around the world.

The change could be easy. Make multi nationals illegal.

Just my thoughts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join