It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Paterson: Shutdown over budget would cause 'unimaginable chaos,' crime in New York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Gov. Paterson: Shutdown over budget would cause 'unimaginable chaos,' crime in New York

w ww.nydailynews.com

Gov. Paterson went into full doomsday mode Thursday, warning of chaos and anarchy in the streets if the government shuts down.

"It would create unimaginable chaos around the state and the greater metropolitan area," Paterson said on WCBS Radio 880 this morning.

Paterson warned that the state would run out of money to pay its workforce - including troopers and correction officers - and eventually would not even be able to put gas in state vehicles.

Even stop-gap measures, such as the state Controller issuing IOUs, would work for only so long.

"Eventually the banks aren't going
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
holy crap! im in new york.. i have no guns, no food, very little money.. this is crazy! luckily i live in a a "community within a community" who are close and who do have guns and skills that we could use to be self-sustainable at least for alittle while. even at best, this will constittue martial law in new york! and again ill be screaming the same things.. anyone else in new york, comments anybody, this is nuts..

w ww.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
BUMP cmon people!! at the worst this is anarchy and at its best its martial law!! does anybody give a sh*t anymore..

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It doesn't directly say martial law but judging by the causality of it all I would say yup NY is screwed and the rest of us aren't far behind.

Looks like the NWO gets their way after all..

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

The outcome of being skint is starting to show it's face....
not long before people either begin to rebel against the Gov for miss-management
or the Gov enters into an external conflict so they can take emergency control of the economy and peoples lives
Either way this is not good news for anyone

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This is coming from a politician.

They use FUD when they want something...

Perhaps he's painting the opposition with supposed blood on their hands if they don't pass a budget...

It's always important to understand the agenda of the person talking...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

It is unlikely the U.S. economy will take a turn for the worse and slip back into recession, top economists and investment strategists said this week.

LIARS... this is proof that experts can be merely paid heads by the government to give legitimacy to say whatever they want them to say. they're tools.. liars..

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Okay, I be bumpin' U homie.

I will go out on a limb and say that they will not let it happen.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
well if NY falls so will america economicly. I tired of all this bad new.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Relax folks it's only paterson. Here in new york we've learned to take anything this man says with a grain of salt. He's just mad nobody'll pass his budget an he's just making a nifty sound bites for the local news.
Besides, State Workers have been paid with IOU's before, years ago during the Rockafeller (sp?) years, I think. Wasn't the end of the world then, won't be now. . . . . maybe.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
He's fear mongering to get what he wants past. I am aware of several state budgets and they already passed for the next year.

I live in both NY and CA. CA is in far worse shape. Patterson just wants to raise eyebrows.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
"Pass my budget or the terrorists will be able to blow-up the city."

Watch, this will be the next angle if this one doesn't work. When all else fails, bring in the terrorists.

Edit to add:
I can tell from your post that you are really scared/nervous. I'm sorry that you aren't getting much moral support. Just know, it's not because we don't care, but because we've seen worse or are living in worse.

As a side note:
Didn't you see this coming? Paterson was screaming the same thing months ago when that budget failed. If it makes you feel better, more than 80% of the states are headed in the same direction. I also don't think chaos will ensue -- at least not for awhile. New Yorkers are very resilient.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Youde think in once abstract, it would atually creat public peace! taxpayers and citizens being screwed over and stepped on for so long, at this moment a level o governemnt screwed itself over..youde think people would re joice and throw a party!!!
unfortuantly, having been through NY time to time, they can be animals, especially in places like bronx and brooklyn. but hopefully, human descency would take over in boroughs like that.
the system is failing and collapsing like a deck of crads stacked in a house trick...its comin down with the mere whisp of breath.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Perhaps Govenor Patterson, is truely BLIND?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't read too much into Gov. Blinky's statements. He's a lame duck thats been all but disowned by his own party. They refused to let him run again and he's overly resentful of Cuomo so he's making whatever waves he can right now to attempt to salvage what may be left of his floundering political career. He'sgot about as good a chance of that as he does getting a budget passed on his own terms. none.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Heh, I was just headed over here to post the same article. OP beat me to it.

Remember that there was a major budget crisis in NYC the 1970s, when the city essentially went bankrupt. The city applied to the federal government for aid, upon which President Ford famously told the city to "drop dead." NYC did not drop dead...it muddled through, although those of you old enough and from the right parts of town may remember that the late 70s was a particularly rough time for the city...more filth than usual, much more conspicuious homelessness, more crime, more danger, etc etc. Manhattan was a much more dangerous place, to say nothing of most of the other 4 boroughs.

I do not expect anarchy but I think things will get grimier. The "Disnified" atmosphere of Manhattan in general might get a bit more tarnished in the coming years. Or perhaps the wealthiest neighborhoods will implement private security and services. Imagine having to pass a gated security barrier to enter the Gold Coast or the Upper East, for example. May not be as far fetched as you think.

As for the rest of the state, as far as I can tell, a state of "chaos and anarchy" has more or less been reigning in Poughkeepsie and Buffalo for the past 40 years.

[edit on 6/10/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
www.wbng.com...

New York State government could shut down next week for the first time ever. This week, his spending bill included $385 million in cuts to health care. Paterson's plan for next week is expected to include a $1 per pack tax on cigarettes.

The past three weeks, not a single republican has voted yes on the bills. Now two democratic state senators are threatening to vote against this extender.

If that's the case when lawmakers vote Monday, state government could shut down, unless one or more republicans votes for the bill.

If it fails, courtrooms, unemployment offices, highway rest stops and the state terrorism hot line could all close.
"That is not a sound bite. That is not a joke. Shutting down government means there is no one to pay the prison guards, no one to pay the state police, no one to pay the emergency workers," said Paterson.

top topics

join