It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer shown the door at SE Portland cafe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Officer shown the door at SE Portland cafe

www.cnn.com

A Portland police officer says he's embarrassed after a manager kicked him out of his coffee shop. KGW reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Okay. The lady in the video says "He's not just a police officer. He's a human being." And I know what some people on here are thinking.

"What about the many many innocent people nazi thug police brutalize every day in the police-state we live in, called 'Amerika'. They're human beings too."

Well I got something to tell you...

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me and by that time no one was left to speak up." -Pastor Martin Niemöller. (1892–1984)

Okay. If they can kick a cop out of a coffee shop. And nobody says anything. Well then another coffee shop down the street is going to do the same thing. And in addition they're also going to kick out Tea-Partiers because first of all it's a coffee shop that serves coffee and not tea. And secondly because the owner of the shop is African-American. And we all know that all tea-party activists are nothing but a bunch of racist rednecks who hate on the main man because he's a brother.

If I was this cop and saw the owner of the coffee shop getting robbed while it's just him and his employees in there before closing time? I'd want to park my patrol-car across the street from the shop while I'm drinking coffee I bought from an Exxon and be listening to Lady Gaga on the radio while I watch the dude get his butt robbed. And when the owner comes out and asks me "Why didn't you save me from being robbed?" I'd pass the empty coffee-cup to the owner and say "Here, throw this away for me please. And **** off." And just drive away. BUT WOULD I REALLY DO THIS?! As much as I want to? NO I WOULD NOT. But I'd still tell the coffee-shop owner to go screw himself after he thanks me for saving his butt.

I've always predicted for a long time that something like this would happen one day. And look? It did.

Was the owner of the coffee shop lawfully in the right for what he did? YES! Because it's his shop and he can run it however he wants as long as he doesn't discriminate customers on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion ONLY. Not "race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or professional occupation."

It's a sad and messed up world we live in. Isn't it?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/4/10 by Marked One]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I don't understand your point. I know that your making a point I just don't see what it is through the rambling that I have read above. Could you please clarify are you for the cop or the shop owner? Or are you making a whole other point?

Edit to add: BTW there are plenty of african americans that are members of the tea party. You just don't see them in the MSM because that would be against the agenda they are pushing.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by SpaDe_]

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is what happens when the good ones protect the bad ones. The good ones get lumped in with the bad ones and get persecuted for the colors they wear rather than who they are.

Prejudice hurts doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
And we all know that all tea-party activists are nothing but a bunch of racist rednecks who hate on the main man because he's a brother.

You know reverse racism is still racism, right? Oh.. and btw..
We would hate Mickey Mouse just as much if we elected him and he shoved his agenda down our throats all the while we were screaming NO NO NO!!

Come to think of it.. Mickey might make the perfect candidate.. racially/sexually/religiously ambiguous... hmmm..

Now to the meat of your thread...

The officer was ON DUTY.. There is a LONG list of things that ON THE CLOCK police officers should NOT be doing. Near the top of this list is kicking back watching TV sipping a Latte at his favorite coffee shop half the day.

Kudos to this guy for not biting his tongue. If it had been a stripper in her work attire that was thrown out this post wouldn't have even been started. Officers should be respected, not feared or treated differently.

This little bit of humility is the kind of thing more law enforcement officers need to remind them that they are just people like the rest of us..

Hey.. that's what that woman said too.. =)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is great!! More and more people are going to wake up and smell the bacon..and heave it out with the rest of the rubbish.

This cop got his widdle feewings hurt!! The shop is an alternative coffee shop and has gays and hippies and they are sick and tired of being hounded by cops. The cop is a liar. He saya he was just getting a cup of coffee...sure, in that place. He went there no doubt to intimidate the patrons and let them know he is watching them in the area and will not let them associate anywhere safe from the prying eyes of a cop.

Thank God in America in a private business an owner can decide who he serves, as long as it is not based on race, etc. Being a cop is not a protected class, and like anyone else he can be barred if the owner says so. I would put a sign up if I owned the place specifically telling cops never to enter without a warrant, that they will never be served and will be asked to leave.

Who wants to have their evening ruined by having some cop intrude and glare at you and make the place a drag to be in....cops always bring people down and especially liberal ones.

Kudos to the owner and I hope more and more businesses get the drift: Citizens do not want the Gestapo watching over their shoulders while they dine. Looking at a cop would ruin my appetite and no doubt spark a confrontation if he didn't like being glared at and called names....bad names...all legal of course.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

If I was this cop and saw the owner of the coffee shop getting robbed while it's just him and his employees in there before closing time? I'd want to park my patrol-car across the street from the shop while I'm drinking coffee I bought from an Exxon and be listening to Lady Gaga on the radio while I watch the dude get his butt robbed. And when the owner comes out and asks me "Why didn't you save me from being robbed?" I'd pass the empty coffee-cup to the owner and say "Here, throw this away for me please. And **** off."

That's pretty much what many cops do anyway. People have a right to choose who they allow in thier business and it's too bad if the officers feelings were hurt. Police have mostly become a tool of oppression and revenue extortionist for an oppressive government these days and most of them don't even realize it. And they wonder why folks don't feel safe around them like it's some big surprise...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by richierich

Hummm... my impression is that you have not considered that the police officer may be gay. And, most, but not all, police under the age of 60 were, at one time, very liberal "hippy" types too... it's called youth. That includes dope smoking and other illegal mind altering substances.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yeah, I can understand how a cop in a coffee shop could make all the queers, muggers, escaped felons, thieves, and illegal immigrants nervous.

Better throw out the cop, it might be bad for business in totally perverted corrupt America.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geeky_Bubbe

Hummm... my impression is that you have not considered that the police officer may be gay. And, most, but not all, police under the age of 60 were, at one time, very liberal "hippy" types too... it's called youth. That includes dope smoking and other illegal mind altering substances.

So we are supposed to assume without evidence that the cop is there, ON DUTY, in uniform, because he LIKES the people there? Puleeeeze.

MAYBE this and maybe that...blah,blah...the FACTS and not imagination are plain: A cop in uniform make everyone feel imtimidated because of the cops propensity for abusing their authority and harrassing customres.

How can one enjoy a beverage or meal and ones' friends when you have a COP glaring at you and intruding into your life...in uniform, making a point....that cop wanted to show the locals they NO WHERE is safe from cops and thank God a shop owner finally had the guts to get rid of the police state presence in his business.

I know if I had a business I would not want some cop hanging out there and scaring people...today cops abuse and assault and lie and bully, and no doubt this cop was looking for a handout, a free meal, and if allowed to remain he would ruin the business and run the decent people away.

Let the cop go hang out where he is welcome...the police station or McD's..anywhere else puts the customers at risk and stifles the atmosphere as well....I would not patronize a business that was a cop magnet...beneath me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I would suggest that *you* are *assuming* far more extensively than I was intimating might be the case.

I've actually known several gay police officers. I've also known one very intellectual police officer, who openly professed being a member of the communist party, and I "saw" in my minds-eye that the establishment as painted by your choice of words was *exactly* the type of establishment he would have felt "most at home" in, and would most certainly have wished to enjoy a cup of coffee there.

I suppose that's the difference between you and me: I'm basing my thoughts and posts on real life experiences with real human beings who just happened to also be police officers. You, on the other hand, give the impression of using biased generalizations.

[edit on 4/6/10 by Geeky_Bubbe]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The guy ,owner of the coffe shop is a fool, he should of waited for the cop to prove he was a ass before making assumptions.
The real problem the owner thought the cop was cutting in on his action with the woman.
Guys like that, wait till he's sceams help, help, like a little girl ,Police help.
That dude should not even have a biz and probably won't for long, all the crooks will go rob him now.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
Yeah, I can understand how a cop in a coffee shop could make all the queers, muggers, escaped felons, thieves, and illegal immigrants nervous.

Better throw out the cop, it might be bad for business in totally perverted corrupt America.

I hope you have proof that most victims of police abuse and misconduct are ' queers' ( so you hate gays, huh? Deep seated issue is it??)..and those who have had the misfortune of passing thru our ' justice ' system or do not have proper papers...how did you come into these statistics...or are you just pulling it all out if thin air and guessing?

People who interact with cops stand a good chance of being abused in one way or another by them. People who do NOT interact with cops stand FAR less of a chance of being victimized by a cop. Please do not make me google for you and link a dozen sites that cover police brutality and the latest outrages committed by the coppers.

Page after nauseating page that shows abuses and murders and beatings....cop arresting people for daring to record the cops...when the cops want to record us!! They want to be Godlike in this society...swaggering bullies full of self importance and a chip on their shoulders...typically a cop lusts for a chance to beat and injure someone, as long as no one will tell....the other cops are notorious for covering up for each other of course...so get rid of cameras and they can get their jollies weilding a stick...sick freaks.

Cops should be watched and filmed and audio recorded every second...they are dangerous and desire absolute power...they must be kept on a short leash and put down when they go mad, lest they infect society even more than usual.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to [url= by SpaDe_[/url]

Did you try reading it again?

I'm arguing both sides actually. And yes I know there are tea-party activists who are African-American. You're right about that. And yes the media hypes it up in such a way that people don't notice that. Same way the media likes to paint all cops as crooked.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I would suggest that *you* are *assuming* far more extensively than I was intimating might be the case.

I've actually known several gay police officers. I've also known one very intellectual communist police officer and I "saw" in my minds-eye that the establishment as painted by your choice of words was *exactly* the type of establishment he would have felt "most at home" in, and would most certainly have wished to enjoy a cup of coffee there.

I suppose that's the difference between you and me: I'm basing my thoughts and posts on real life experiences with real human beings who just happened to also be police officers. You, on the other hand, give the impression of using biased generalizations.

What? I am biased? YOU are the one who called gay people " QUEER " in a derogatory manner, lumping them in with ' thieves, muggers...etc".

You assume that the cop is gay based on what? How can you tell? Is there some outward sign? If not, please explain how you know...is it psychic power? Oh, you assume the business is a gay one....and so any cop going there is one also...correct? Thats your words exactly so give up the efforts at rehabbing yourself because it won't work...yopu are sunk by logic.

NO ONE knows if the place caters to gays....and NO ONE knows if the cops is gay....and NO ONE knows that the cop was there for the reasons stated, because cops lie!! You lose.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

So far you have ridiculed police, stating that they are itching for the chance to beat someone. You state that the cop was in the coffee shop only to intimidate, yet you attack another poster for his assumptions? I too was irritated by the 'queer' comment as I have nothing against homosexuals but I think that you have exerted your small mind a bit too much in this thread.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

Um.. you just compare Nazis to a liberal who thinks that the police ARE the nazis. It's a good poem, perhaps you just really like it? It just doesn't make sense here.

It's rather unfortunate that this happened.. But like many places, Portland is a more liberal area, and a lot of the people just don't like the police even though they usually don't have a reason for it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

You may be interested to know that I have a criminal record, and have done jail time.

But the majority of cops out there are trying to do a good job.
Sure there are a few rotten apples, maybe more than a few.
But I have nothing against the cops.

If you hate all cops, then I suggest you may just have a slight attitude problem yourself.

It will be really interesting in America when law and order completely breaks down, and street gangs rule the streets.

I guess you think all street gangs are good guys, and you need never lock your car or home when the gangs are around.
Only cops do crime, eh ?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by richierich

I've actually known several gay police officers. I've also known one very intellectual communist police officer and I "saw" in my minds-eye that the establishment as painted by your choice of words was *exactly* the type of establishment he would have felt "most at home" in, and would most certainly have wished to enjoy a cup of coffee there.

What? I am biased? YOU are the one who called gay people " QUEER " in a derogatory manner, lumping them in with ' thieves, muggers...etc".

You assume that the cop is gay based on what? How can you tell? Is there some outward sign? If not, please explain how you know...is it psychic power? Oh, you assume the business is a gay one....and so any cop going there is one also...correct? Thats your words exactly so give up the efforts at rehabbing yourself because it won't work...yopu are sunk by logic.

NO ONE knows if the place caters to gays....and NO ONE knows if the cops is gay....and NO ONE knows that the cop was there for the reasons stated, because cops lie!! You lose.

Not me. I do not use the term "queer", as I find it to be extremely offensive.

FTR: I do NOT assume the police officer is gay, I merely offer it as a possibility. There ARE gay and lesbian police officers, just as there are gays and lesbians in every profession. As I stated: I've *actually* *known* several.

EDITED TO ADD:

These are YOUR words from what I believe is your first posting in this thread:

This cop got his widdle feewings hurt!! The shop is an alternative coffee shop and has gays and hippies and they are sick and tired of being hounded by cops. The cop is a liar. He saya he was just getting a cup of coffee...sure, in that place. He went there no doubt to intimidate the patrons and let them know he is watching them in the area and will not let them associate anywhere safe from the prying eyes of a cop.

That's where I picked up the concept of "gay".... FROM YOU.

[edit on 4/6/10 by Geeky_Bubbe]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Okay.. take the "cop" thing out of the equation... Lets replace the word "cop" with the term "mime."

They can make customers just as uncomfortable.

As a business owner, you wouldn't want either either soliciting at your place of business.

You would allow either at your place of business as long as they were not in uniform and doing their thing.

Now that we have that humorous and somewhat disturbing mental image out of the way, I hope you realize that the chances of that policeman being there just for a cup of coffee is very unlikely... If this were a diner, during a sanctioned lunch break, then I see no one having a problem with this. If this had been a bar/pub at 10pm then the same issue would have arisen.

I don't think it's appropriate for cops to be anywhere but in their cruiser while on patrol, or back at the station if they are not. Our tax dollars pay their salary, and as a shareholder in the LEA, I expect no less out of them than my boss does out of me - ie: no paid latte breaks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join