It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Tattoos Sinful? Your Thoughts...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Tattoos only work if you can pull it off. And if you can pull it off, you don't care what people think.
Like a flaming homosexual wearing outrageous clothing to a funeral or something. If he can pull it off, everybody is cool with it. They just say, well, it fits.
Tattoos have to "fit".

Some people shouldn't wear shorts.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
I think that's enough to p*** me off.

Be pissed off all you like but post with decorum.

Don't really need you to tell me when to calm down thanks.

You might want to check my panel.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I don't claim to be the world's leading Bible scholar, but personally I think that there are several divisions of rules in the old Testament scriptures. Some of the laws were morality based, some had to do with cleanliness, and some were social rules governing the nation of Israel. Are the rules that discuss eating pork and shrimp the same as the rules dealing with murder and theft? I really doubt that.

Now let's look at this verse. I've chosen the NIV version.

Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD

Does this say:
  • Don't get a tattoo
  • Don't get a tattoo to remember the dead
  • Don't do it yourself, let a professional do it

Just for fun examine the previous verse as well.

Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard

Is it a sin to cut your hair or trim your beard? Obviously not. Both of these rules deal with the outward or external appearance. Which do you think is more important to God? Our external appearance or our internal thoughts and attitudes?

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
    1 Samuel 16:7

My opinion is that God was setting up rules on appearance so the Israelites would look different from the nations around them. The forbidden items were most likely customs that surrounding nations had and God wanted them to stand out.

In short if you feel guilty about getting a tattoo, then don't get one. If you don't like them then don't sweat it if someone else has one. I'd just avoid getting tattoos of naked women, devils, skulls, or anything else that might come across as a life message you might be ashamed of.

(Disclaimer, my avatar is a pic of a tattoo on my back.)

• posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:45 PM
    link   
    Removed and I apologise to Intrepid for not keeping my cool. I was also only just made aware that mods have cut down on ***'s. (using *** instead of swearing that is)

Cheers.

[edit on 30/5/2010 by bkaust]

[edit on 30/5/2010 by bkaust]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:48 PM
    link   
    Permanent anything on skin is ugly and a bad choice IMO. So I don't like them. If you want to permanently change your look for the better, then workout more often and eat healthier.

If you want to cover yourself in ink...knock yourself out, but you won't be getting any congratulations from me. It's interesting nowadays,...the way to be different and standout is to have no tattoos or piercings. Clean cut is the new rebel.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:53 PM
    link   
    reply to post by bkaust

I'm going to have to ask that you show Intrepid more respect than that. It has nothing to do with his mod status either. I believe his point was don't let those who belittle you get under your skin, otherwise you will look as foolish as they do. I too was insulted by that post, but as I stated in my OP all opinions are welcome. Those who think anyone with a tattoo is not worthy of their friendship are as shallow minded as those that would not shake a black man's hand.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:55 PM
    link   
    reply to post by bkaust

I'm going to have to ask that you show Intrepid more respect than that. It has nothing to do with his mod status either. I believe his point was don't let those who belittle you get under your skin, otherwise you will look as foolish as they do. I too was insulted by that post, but as I stated in my OP all opinions are welcome. Those who think anyone with a tattoo is not worthy of their friendship are as shallow minded as those that would not shake a black man's hand.

link   

Originally posted by shasta9600
    If you want to cover yourself in ink...knock yourself out, but you won't be getting any congratulations from me.

I doubt people who get tattoo's require any validation from you mate! That's a pointless quote!

IRM

link   

Originally posted by Raustin
    reply to post by bkaust

Thank you, you are right, and i do apologise to Intrepid, I'm just really really quite offended, and the way Intrepid told me to calm down i found quite condescending. I suppose the hormones pumping through the body of a woman 7.5 months pregnant are not helping. Removing myself from this thread as of now

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:57 PM
    link   
    I wish they were a sin. It's about the only way they'd be cool again in my eyes. with all the "normal" people with tats nowadays, I had to stop getting them just so I wouldnt be trendy.

maybe I should start walking around with a patch over my eye. that'd evoke the kind of response having tattoos used to.

Ahoy!

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Totalstranger]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:58 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Raustin
    reply to post by FortAnthem

I suppose that helps, but I would like your thoughts, in your words. Do you find tattoos to be sinful?

I tend to agree with the article I cited. I don't think all tattoos are gravely sinful. I think they may be seen as abusing the body that God gave you and venially sinful in that regard. If the tattoos depict something diabolical or blasphemous, they could rank as more sinful, perhaps even mortally sinful depending on the intention of the person getting the tattoo.

Do you think that all those that are tattooed are destined for the bowels of hell?

Well, I hope not as I have one myself.

All people make mistakes in their lives and those that repent of their mistakes and seek to make themselves good with God can get themselves back into God's good graces, thereby saving themselves from hell.

Even one who covered their body with diabolical tattoos and bizzarre body piercings and such could find redemption if they seek God's forgiveness before the end.

Edit to add: Nobody is damned to hell for any one action they made during their lifetimes, no matter how evil. The only thing sure to damn anyone to hell is to reject God's teachings and/ or to not seek redemption before death. God can forgive anything but, we have to accept our sins and ask His forgiveness in order to be saved.

[edit on 5/30/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:59 PM
    link   
    reply to post by bkaust

I assure you no condescension was meant. It's all good. We all get upset on any given day.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:59 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Dock9

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
    link   
    I believe tats are not sinful.

It is a personal choice which I believe we should be entitled to.

I have a few tats I got 25 years ago. Each one has a very special meaning to me.

My favorite one is a monark butterfly on my upper breast. It means freedom to me as in free as a butterfly. It was my first and I need to have it recolored but haven't found the right person for the job.

I'll probably get it done during Bike Week in Daytona and I may have a new one.

I was raised well by wonderful parents with very wholesome values so it can't be blamed on my upbringing. I am a biker too so that did help spur me on to get tats.

It is a matter of choice. And it is nobodies business but mine.

I did think my parents were going to shoot me when they accidentally saw my tats. I was bare naked under a sheet in the hospital after an accident in the hospital when they saw them. If looks could kill I would be dead.

I do not like people who try to judge my morals and actions by their beliefs and condemn me for my action. That is between me and God.

Long live freedom of choice.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:33 PM
    link   
    Sinful?

No.

Boring?

Yes.

Listening to people explain their tats is about as interesting as listening to someone talk about the dream they had last night. Sorry, inked people, but it's true.

Don't believe me? Have a seat, let me explain at length my reasons for upgrading to a stainless exhaust on my car...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:38 PM
    link   
    Tramp stamp on Gramma?

Real classy.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:46 PM
    link   
    reply to post by bkaust

Two Things. ....

1. Thanks for your initial reply, you beat me to it !!! It's what everyone was thinking after reading that post anyway.

2. ........ is it mine ??

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:50 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Dock9 Oh jeepers ... MORE religiosity ? ! ATS is getting on my nerves for this reason I'm not a fan of tattoos To my mind, they look cheap, stupid and dirty

That's your opinion.... fine.

I wouldn't associate with or employ someone with tattoos, because it's my opinion they're wearing their mental/intellectual/emotional problems on the outside

Well does this include military, police, doctors, clergy, teachers, etc etc, people of every walk of life have tattoos,

In addition, I have a low opinion of those who follow trends, such as those for tattoos and piercings, because I regard those who follow trends as being of low intelligence

low intelligence huh? Tattoos and piercings are not a trend, they have been tattooing and piercing for thousands of years, news.nationalgeographic.com...
    I regard those who know nothing about the history of tattoos to make such assumptions as being of extremely low intelligence!

Tattoos on older people look additionally ugly and distasteful

I know a 76 year old lady who started getting tattooed 5 years ago who would disagree with you, but, again, that's your opinion.... fine.

Those who have tattoos clearly believe they will never grow old, which again is evidence of their low intelligence

where the hell did you get this idea from, look, are you seriously taking the piss, what evidence do you have to back up this claim, again this statement clearly shows your low intelligence,

Most people I've met with tattoos wish they'd been smarter than to get them and dream of having them removed

The exact opposite is true in my case, most people i meet with tattoos love them and the only people i meet who regret them are the ones with ex- girlfriends, football teams, home made tattoos etc.

So for me, the tattoo issue has no connection with religion or spirituality

... well good for you, but many people have religious symbols tattooed on them, so it's probably spiritual to them.

Tattooing and body decoration have been practiced for thousands of years, if you don't like it then fine, but to prejudice a person because of his or her personal body art is just narrow minded and pretty much disgraceful, I'm glad you don't run our armies, obviously our tattooed soldiers are of too low intelligence to serve in your army!

As for my experience with tattoos, I am a professional tattoo artist mate, I see and tattoo people of all professions and of all levels of intelligence, but I judge no-one! When I tattoo someone, the biggest buzz for me is seeing the person's happiness and excitement at having the ink done.

I recently tattooed a lady in her 40's who had stretch marks on her belly for nearly 20 years, after having tattoos which cover the stretch marks, she says, it's given her more confidence than she could ever believe, she now wears a bikini at the beach, hipsters etc, for the first time in nearly 20 years. You will never know what it is like to have someone crying and hugging you saying you have given them their life back..... I have, more than once!

Peace

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Myrddin Wyllt]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:51 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Dock9
    In addition, I have a low opinion of those who follow trends, such as those for tattoos and piercings, because I regard those who follow trends as being of low intelligence

From thefreedictionary.com:

4. trend - the popular taste at a given time; "leather is the latest vogue"; "he followed current trends"; "the 1920s had a style of their own"

So how long do you think a trend lasts? tattoos have been around for thousands of years, as have piercings.

from painfulpleasures.com/piercing_history.htm:

The oldest mummified body in the world was found frozen in an Austrian Glacier in 1991, tests showed the body to be over 5,000 years old. The body had pierced ears and the holes had been enlarged to 7-11mm diameter.

I wasnt aware trends lasted so long. by the way, cool story brew.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by bismos]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by bismos]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:58 PM
    link   

Originally posted by bismos
    So how long do you think a trend lasts? tattoos have been around for thousands of years, as have piercings.

Exhibit A: Tasmanian Devil tat (bicep)
    Exhibit B: Barbed wire around bicep.
    Exhibit C: The "tribal" lower back tat.

Those three were quite popular around 1991-1995. Don't see many people getting them these days. Could that have been a *gasp* trend?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join