It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Tattoos Sinful? Your Thoughts...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
So dear members, I have a question for you. Do you find tattoos to be sinful? I for one do not, but lately have run into a number of people that think otherwise. It seems there are four main schools of thought on the subject.

1. Tattoos are fine, no matter what.

2. Tattoos are fine, as long as they are tasteful and don't depict 'dark' things.

3. Tattoos are sinful no matter what, but it's not that big of a deal, more like getting in a fist fight, swearing, etc.

4. YOU ARE GOING TO HELL YOU HEATHEN!

I recently took a very charming and beautiful girl to dinner, and found out that she was sort of number a #3. You can't see my tattoos if I'm wearing a polo shirt/t-shirt, but when I reached for the bill my sleeve pulled up a bit and she saw that I had some ink. When we got to the car she asked to see them, and said she felt guilty for finding them attractive. Probably going to take her out again despite this, but it irritated me nonetheless.

I found this, for what it's worth.

The Bible says in Leviticus 19:28, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord." (NLT) How much clearer can that be? It's important, however, to look at the verse in context. This passage in Leviticus, including the surrounding text, is specifically dealing with the pagan religious rituals of the people living around the Israelites. God’s desire is to set his people apart from other cultures. The focus here is prohibiting worldly, heathen worship and witchcraft. God forbids his holy people to engage in idolatrous, pagan worship and sorcery which imitates the heathens. He does this out of protection, because he knows this will lead them away from the one true God.

Link

So tell me what you think, I will not flame you for your beliefs, and I hope no one else will either.

edit: I did a you're instead of your. Facepalm.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Raustin]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think tattoos are (or should be) a personal reflection of self. Some consider it art ... I'm not quite to that degree, but I do think that if you have ink than it should *mean* something to you or *reflect* something about you or tell a story about your life, whatever that may be. But that's mostly personal opinion. To each his/her own.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Oh jeepers ... MORE religiosity ? !

ATS is getting on my nerves for this reason

I'm not a fan of tattoos

To my mind, they look cheap, stupid and dirty

I wouldn't associate with or employ someone with tattoos, because it's my opinion they're wearing their mental/intellectual/emotional problems on the outside

In addition, I have a low opinion of those who follow trends, such as those for tattoos and piercings, because I regard those who follow trends as being of low intelligence

Tattoos on older people look additionally ugly and distasteful

Those who have tattoos clearly believe they will never grow old, which again is evidence of their low intelligence

Most people I've met with tattoos wish they'd been smarter than to get them and dream of having them removed

So for me, the tattoo issue has no connection with religion or spirituality

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well I agree that you shouldn't get a tattoo that is meaningless. It's a very personal thing, and should reflect your character/beliefs etc. But do you think that it is sinful? If not religious, do you think it is a bad thing for any reason?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Here's a nice little article on Catholic moral principals regarding tattoos and body piercing;

The Morality of Tattoos and Body Piercing

Many upright people are repelled by modern fads and fashions, such as tattooing, multiple earrings and other body piercing, but feel unequipped to give a clear judgment on the morality of such practices, or to rebut the charge that they are elevating their personal preferences into a moral code. In this article, I will set out some criteria that are relevant to making a moral judgment on these things.

It would be impossible to give black-and-white judgments on all bodily decorations. But we can point to a few negative aspects that should be of concern to a Christian. Unless otherwise stated, this article will refer to Western societies only. I will treat the more serious concerns first and then the less serious.

1. Diabolical images. Tattoos of demons are quite common, yet no Christian should ever sport an image of a devil or a Satanic symbol.

2. Exultation in the ugly. This is a mark of the Satanic, which hates the beauty of God’s creation and tries to destroy it and to ruin others’ appreciation of it. More than just being ugly, some body piercing is the expression of delight in being ugly.

We recognize bad taste in tattoos, rings and studs, by looking at their nature, size, extent and place on the body. Ironically, even florid and colorful tattoos fade over time and end up looking dark and dreary. When one considers how, in concentration camps, prisoners were treated like animals and branded on their arm with a number, it is amazing to think that people today adopt similar markings as if they were fashionable or smart. This is truly the sign of a return to barbarity, the behavior of people who do not have any sense of the dignity of the human person.

3. Self-mutilation and self-disfigurement. This is a sin against the body and against the Fifth Commandment. Some body piercing verges on self-mutilation. At best, multiple body piercing is self-inflicted abuse. A form of self-hatred or self-rejection motivates some to pierce themselves or decorate themselves in a hideous and harmful fashion. The human body was not made by God to be a pin cushion or a mural.

4. Harm to health. Doctors have spoken publicly on this health issue. In 2001, researchers at both the University of Texas and the Australian National University reported on harm to health caused by tattoos and body piercing.

Read more: The Latin Mass Magazine

The article goes on to list 10 criteria for determining the morality of tattoos and body piercing.

hope that helps.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

While I respect your opinions, I am surprised that you would not even associate with someone who had been tattooed. I've met some pretty amazing people that were very inked up. Don't limit yourself like that.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
i would be in the mix of point 2... i don't find them to be bad or sinful as long is you keep it descent and i believe that what it is talking about in the verse you gave.... however there is another verse my mom throws out that says your body is the temple of the lord and so we should keep it pure and clean......

i guess it is how you are brought up on what you believe

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
My father was dead set against them for religious reasons. I got them anyway. I even have a very dark scripture on a broken stone tablet across the middle of my back. Job 16:9.

We are born in sin, and we die in sin. There are several other thoughts on religion that make the tattoos a moot point.

If Jesus died for them, then you are forgiven, so get som tats!
If you are born in sin, and you can't do a thing about it, get some tats!
If you covet the sexy 17 year old in your neighbor's pool. If you pay your taxes before you tithe. If you pay your taxes to fund a war that likely results in innocent deaths. You ar already doomed to hell, unless Jesus saves you, so get some tats!

In other words, tattoos are the least of your worries, and if this chick gets a guilty turn-on from them, then......awesome!
If you don't score, give her my number please!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Lady Skadi - Tattoos ARE art - if you take the time to find a decent artist.

If it's sinful then there is a special place down there all ready and waiting for me
. I've been told i'm going to hell and have been handed all sorts of pamphlets from different religions looking down their noses at myself and people i know. It's ridiculous.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I used to like tattoos more when I was a teenager. Now that I'm older I can't stand people with many tattoos.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It's sinful how much they cost. Someone like me with 3 kids?
Out of the question. Put me down for #1.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I suppose that helps, but I would like your thoughts, in your words. Do you find tattoos to be sinful? Do you think that all those that are tattooed are destined for the bowels of hell?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

No, tattoos do not have any affiliation to a religious based "sin" from my perspective (I'm not religious though) so that point is moot. Do I think they are bad? Well, it depends. I think some will put obstacles in peoples paths (effect future professions and opportunities, etc) but I also think others are really well done and very cool. It all depends on tattoo choice.

As for the religious perspective - one's body is one's temple - that can also be a belief that goes beyond religions.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I don't have any ink, but that is a reflection of the simple fact that I've never come up with something that I want to have on me for the rest of my life, however long or short that may be. I am an evolving being and issues of profundity or images I consider of beauty have also evolved. But the day I come across that image... it's straight to the tattoo parlor for me

As to religiosity: If you listed out everything in the world in one long column, and then recorded whether is was considered "sinful" in the next column, every single item in the first column would be classed as sinful if you included every religion/sect/belief system.

I find it highly strange, the concept of tattoos as "sin"; they were either the first or second true human expression of art. Additionally, their religious/holy significance has an equally millennia long history.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You need to make nice with a tattoo artist. I probably have about $3k worth of tattoos and I think I've only paid around $200. I suppose I picked up a few bar tabs too though.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Why are you letting pixels on a screen to get you blood pressure up? Jeez, relax guy. That's his perspective.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I read an article years ago on men in the clergy that were inked and pierced (inc Prince Alberts)... but obviously it's all hidden under their garments. Tattooing and piercing is a simply an expression of ones self. There is nothing evil about it at all.

I personally love a tattoo on a woman. It's sexy!

IRM

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by bkaust

Why are you letting pixels on a screen to get you blood pressure up? Jeez, relax guy. That's his perspective.

Because he is calling myself and others who have decided to make the decision to use body art as a form of expression basically Idiots of low intelligence. I think that's enough to p*** me off. Don't really need you to tell me when to calm down thanks.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have no problems with them. Heck my wife has a few herself. I can't think of anything I would want on my body forever, but if you wanna do it, no big deal to me. Same with piercings, i've had a few, outgrew them and took them out. No problems with those either.

It's your body, if you want a tattoo of Satan giving us all the finger, then you're the one that has to deal with it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join