It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Counterterror Adviser Defends Jihad as 'Legitimate Tenet of Islam'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Counterterror Adviser Defends Jihad as 'Legitimate Tenet of Islam'

www.foxnews.com

The president's top counterterrorism adviser on Wednesday called jihad a "legitimate tenet of Islam," arguing that the term "jihadists" should not be used to describe America's enemies.

During a speech at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, John Brennan described violent extremists as victims of "political, economic and social forces," but said that those plotting attacks on the United States should not be described in "religious terms."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Oh my... Can you say "We surrender?
This to me is insane. what's going on with out government?

more from the crazy's in office;

"Nor do we describe our enemy as 'jihadists' or 'Islamists' because jihad is a holy struggle, a legitimate tenet of Islam, meaning to purify oneself or one's community, and there is nothing holy or legitimate or Islamic about murdering innocent men, women and children," Brennan said.

The technical, broadest definition of jihad is a "struggle" in the name of Islam and the term does not connote "holy war" for all Muslims. However, jihad frequently connotes images of military combat or warfare, and some of the world's most wanted terrorists including Usama bin Laden commonly use the word to call for war against the West.

I'm perplexed people.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-5-2010 by aboxoftrix]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I'm perplexed people.

So instead of making peace with the majority of Muslims by choosing to use proper language instead of targeting all Muslims by using concepts in Islam like Jihad as an identifier for who is attacking us and instead deal with the situation like how it should be dealt with?

Or do you think Draw Muhammad day should become a national holiday?

One is a fairly good decision based on fact rather than emotional ignorance. The other is just down right idiotic.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I don't really get this. Jihad is the Islamic word for "struggle". Western media has tried for years to imply that it means "holy war" which it does not. Of course jihad is a tenet of Islam as followers try to submit themselves to the will of God.

Jihad is also a common Muslim first name.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
i take it you have never taken the time to read a koran?

2nd line

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

Why are you perplexed? He is 100% correct. This is not a holy war (well except in Bush's tiny mind), it is a group of criminalswho carried out attacks against the US. Jihad is a tenet of Islam, same for Christianity. We don't call it jihad, but we know that there will be a final battle.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

well except in Bush's tiny mind

I suppose your mind is superior than his. That's why you rant on a discussion forum about your superiority. Sitting behind a computer screen is why you know that Islam is a peace loving religion because the internet tells you so.

It's only a peace loving religion when everyone around this religion is Islam. All other faiths are directed by Mohammad to be converted to Islam of die in the name of Allah. Wake up or are you a Islamic sympathizer?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

I am not superior to anyone. Except Bush; he is just plain stupid.

Islam is not a violent relgiion, no more than any other religion. You can quote parts of the Koran all you want, but until you admit that parts of the Bible are biolent, your point is moot.

I don't know what you mean by "Islamic sympathizer." I am a human being who is saddened by people distorting their religion as an excuse to kill others. I am also saddened by people who refuse to see that the criminals are not Muslims, they are fools who twist the religion they claim to follow.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yea and all the people recruited and/or supported by radical clerics? That the religion has been used to brainwash people is pretty obvious. Fort Hood ring a bell. The religion is one tool that Al Qaeda uses for recruitment. You can get people to commit all kinds of atrocities in the name of religion. No, it is not all followers of Islam just a large vocal segment of it. Way to go guys now are we gonna hear about religious profiling?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Bible are biolent

OK. I understand your point. Bush was so stupid, that he piloted fighter jets while you were still learning to spell.

While Bush may not have been the most intellectual president we've ever had, he's far from being the incompetent president like the one you presently have.

[edit on 27/5/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

All other faiths are directed by Mohammad to be converted to Islam of die in the name of Allah. Wake up or are you a Islamic sympathizer?

Like the other Abrahamic religions. Judaism says the same thing. Christianity says the same thing. They also say the opposite of this as well, just like Islam. If you haven't noticed, all 3 religions are filled to the rim with double speak. In this instance, you're blindly ignoring that Christianity says the same as Islam in this case where as Islam at the same time says the same as Christianity. They both promote peace AND war.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

As I've observed the different religions respond to catastrophes around the world, I find that Christians respond the most in trying to soothe the human suffering brought by man and natural disasters all around the world.

American Christians donate more of their time and money to charitable causes than any other nation or religion in the world.

While all religions have their fair share of fanatics, Christians have Christ.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
But what should they be called when the terrorists call themselves 'jihadists'?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I suppose your mind is superior than his. That's why you rant on a discussion forum about your superiority. Sitting behind a computer screen is why you know that Islam is a peace loving religion because the internet tells you so.

It's only a peace loving religion when everyone around this religion is Islam. All other faiths are directed by Mohammad to be converted to Islam of die in the name of Allah. Wake up or are you a Islamic sympathizer?

I'm flabbergasted why an Israeli such as yourself would be caring how someone thinks of American President

You're signature
إسرائيل قواعد أمك
translates to
Israel rules your mother

but now I understand it's not about Bush but rather someone speaking about Muslim religion not in unfavorable terms which as a Israeli "self proclaimed Jew" you and OP (who is also Israeli) find offensive. I have mentioned "self proclaimed" because true Jews dont hate and don't have have deep rooted agendas.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by I AM LEGION]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

As I've observed the different religions respond to catastrophes around the world, I find that Christians respond the most in trying to soothe the human suffering brought by man and natural disasters all around the world.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you for real? Modern christianity is nothing more than capitalism; you have a better chance of going to heaven depending on how much you "donate" to the church. You talk of how Christians help people after disasters? Yeah, they sure help those poor people by taking over their land, stealing their money and assimilating their cultures- ALL part of the American foreign agenda.

For those people who speak ill of Islam on here, what a bunch of hypocrites. You know nothing about Islam other than what your pathetic American government tells you what to fear about it. You think the US is walking around the world spreading peace in the name of Christ? The US is trying to eliminate and assimilate Islam culture, which is 1billion+ strong, and with so many idiots in the world susceptable to wrong information it appears that the modern crusade seems to be in full swing.

Good job, people. Promote world peace by demonizing and destroying a fifth of the world's population and their beliefs.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I don't have a president. Both Bush and Obama are fruit from the same tree. Does not matter who is in office.

But this is off-topic

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you for real? Modern christianity is nothing more than capitalism; you have a better chance of going to heaven depending on how much you "donate" to the church. You talk of how Christians help people after disasters? Yeah, they sure help those poor people by taking over their land, stealing their money and assimilating their cultures- ALL part of the American foreign agenda.

For those people who speak ill of Islam on here, what a bunch of hypocrites. You know nothing about Islam other than what your pathetic American government tells you what to fear about it. You think the US is walking around the world spreading peace in the name of Christ? The US is trying to eliminate and assimilate Islam culture, which is 1billion+ strong, and with so many idiots in the world susceptable to wrong information it appears that the modern crusade seems to be in full swing.

Good job, people. Promote world peace by demonizing and destroying a fifth of the world's population and their beliefs.

So true, so true. Most Christians know nothing about Islam and the ones who aren't ignorant will tell you as much. The OP is right I knew the true meaning of jihad long aHypocrigo but try and tell anyone with hate in there heart that and they call you a sympathizer. Hypocrites, If you don't know haven't read, don't speak.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Christians that dislike Islam are just another form of religious extremists who miss the true meaning of their own religion.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

They know people are not stupid anymore, Jihad means struggle, and it is a legitimate tenet of Islam.

And what do you mean by loosing?

There is no loosing or winning when you are just out there to steal resources.

The loosing is when you give up the land where the resources are, for example when they completely withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq.

But if by loosing you mean the war on terrorism, then that is naive, because war on terrorism doesn't even make sense.

How can you start a war against terrorism, and how can you end it? Winning based on objectives, loosing based on objectives?

War on terrorism had no objectives, it was just an angry rhetoric to allow Americans to go to sleep knowing their kids are occupying two countries without any justification, and knowing millions of innocent people have died due to the two wars.

If you collect all the White House announcements you would see how many times the objectives of war on terrorism has changed through out the years.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
I don't really get this. Jihad is the Islamic word for "struggle". Western media has tried for years to imply that it means "holy war" which it does not. Of course jihad is a tenet of Islam as followers try to submit themselves to the will of God.

Jihad is also a common Muslim first name.

This is just a ploy, just like the Obama/Israel clash over Jewish settlement was just a ploy

This won't change anything, this is just trying to cool Muslims down so they don't rise up against the puppet regimes who are working for the US empires.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join