It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95% of People not from Australia or New Zealand, suck at Geography

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Nice work Oz. Always good to see a post setting things straight!!! Although you should have warned everyone about one of our native dangers - the Dropbear.

Here ya go peeps, watch out for them if you travel here!!!!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Edit - damn double posts!!!

[edit on 9-5-2010 by TerribleTeam2]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gamecock
reply to post by calstorm

I dont know how this speculation that NZ used to be on the other side of Australia, but it seems obvious to me that this did not happen.

There is a rather popular, old thread here on ATS talking about "time line shifts".

Basically, people are confused because they thought NZ and Australia were in different places than they actually are. So, the logical answer is that they shifted time lines.

I'm not joking either.

So either these people are on very powerful psychedelic substances that have never been heard of before (and if this is a case I apologize for the insults and ask kindly you inform me what these are) OR they're idiots who rationalized something rather idiotic to justify their stupidity.

I'm hoping for the former, but it is likely the latter.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2
Nice work Oz. Always good to see a post setting things straight!!! Although you should have warned everyone about one of our native dangers - the Dropbear.

LOL that photographer was lucky to get away alive!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

Haha, that picture is funny!

But man, I gotta say something...Koala bears have sharp freakin' claws man. I've held one before. He was like a small little fuzzy stoner with really sharp claws that tore into your skin.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

Haha, that picture is funny!

But man, I gotta say something...Koala bears have sharp freakin' claws man. I've held one before. He was like a small little fuzzy stoner with really sharp claws that tore into your skin.

Tell me about it!!! For a tiny little animal that is perpetually drunk off Eucalyptus leaves, they are agressive little bastards!!!!!! And you are right about their claws. They can leave some nice little scars if they want to!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Over on one of the several "OH MY GOD AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND HAVE CHANGED PLACES" threads, I asked on of those who KNEW that they had if there were polynesian Maori in New Zealand since in that case they would have had to gone southwest rather than southeast to get from polynesia to NZ, and that the aussie aboriginals wouldn't have been able to either walk or take rafts, ride logs, whatever, jury is out on how they got to Oz, from the asian mainland, they would have to have built proper boats, which at that time, so far as we know, no human on earth had ever done, so were there aboriginals in Australia? He answered that there were no aboriginals in that time line because the Maori slaughtered them.

Dontcha just love ATS?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

'twas easy for me to agree with you OZ. I've been to both countries, and spent a lot of time planning things, looking at maps.

Plus, I happen to be blessed with a 1972 Rand-McNally World Atlas, hardback no less. Political lines have changed in some places. Geography remains fixed, except for maybe a few add-ons in Dubai.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The fact that this thread even needs to exist is proof that the ATS model is fundamentally flawed at its very core. It's presented as a conspiracy site where people can learn the truth and "deny ignorance," but mostly all that goes on around here is intelligent people get exasperated at trying to correct the mentally insane.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just out of curiousity, where did thought this come from? For the thread I mean.

I'm 24, and an American, and I clearly remember NZ being just southeast of Austrailia. I learned that in, I believe, 3rd or 4th grade. I don't argue that American school systems typical suck, but that's a story for another thread, but I do know for a fact that I was taught it's proper possition. Hell, I was even taught about plate techtonics.

I really want to know where this idea that NZ was suppose to be southwest of AUS!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
(which has faded into obscurity for most yanks and brits)

It seems that many americans (sorry to pick on yanks

While I wholeheartedly agree that many of the 'timeshift' theories on ATS are based on very poor knowledge of geography and overconfidence in themselves. I feel your 95% figure is too high, but probably closer to the actual figure unfortunately. What I take as a HUGE insult is that you label all Americans as 'yanks.' How f'ing dare you!! Not all Americans are p.o.s. G*D damned yankees.
I am an American from Virginia and being called a yank is the one insult I would fight over. While studying in England I compared it to those I met as if a Welshman or Scot were called English. I've seen many interesting posts of yours on the site and just had to point that out.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I remember Australia to be much farther south of Paupa new guinea. However I attribute this to shoddy map-making in the late 80's early 90's coupled with having only vague recollections of my geography class. So memory definitely plays a factor as well.

On an unrelated note, the animals you guys have scare the crap out of me. /shudder

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Ok, I live in New Zealand, I'm at work eating my utilitarian lunch doing nothing productive, so I'm going to take a bite and reply to this thread.

That bastion of great TV shows 'America's Next Top Model' recently came to NZ to film a few episodes.

When the girls were told they were coming here (queue really loud squeals), a contestant was heard to ask whether New Zealand was located above Canada.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I don't care, New Zealand gets the first sunlight ^^ we are ahead of the world..

That is enough Geography for me..

Well actually Samoa is the first nation to get sunlight, New Zealand does beat us Australians though....but thanks to our drought, we recieve more.....so....oh wait....thats a bad thing

[edit on 9/5/2010 by OzWeatherman]

Sorry. Wrong.

Tonga, is the first nation to see the sun, not Samoa. Samoa lies on the other side of the Dateline which puts them a day behind Tonga, NZ and Australia etc...

As for people thinking that NZ is west of OZ, I can see how the confusion happens.

First, the amount of NZ identities that the Australians have stolen off NZers like the Pavlova, Phar Lap, Crowded House, Russel Crowe, Don Bradman
, Wally Lewis
, John Eales
, the list is endless

Second, there are so many Kiwis living in OZ now they may as well change OZ to NZ.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whodat?

Second, there are so many Kiwis living in OZ now they may as well change OZ to NZ.

As Rob Muldoon said: New Zealanders living in Australia raise the IQ of both countries

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

OR they're idiots who rationalized something rather idiotic to justify their stupidity.

I just got out of a religious thread arguing the exact same thing. Some people are stupid and this whole timeline shift, NZ out of place thing is just that stupid. Im actually angry at myself for waisting my time on this, no more.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
to come to the rescue of the 'timeline shifters'. i have taken several IQ test and avg 152. i work with very complex signal processing algorithms and i am VERY proficient in geography and always have been, and i too remember new zealand being in a different location. though i don't remember it being to the west of Australia. I remember it being further to the north but still east of it. and Australia being further away from the land.

all the self proclaiming smarties and geographical wizards crack me up. if people have been popping into different dimensions there is absolutely no way to prove this. so Mr. 1972 rand mcnally map man... do you understand what these people are saying? it doesn't matter how old your map is, if people pop into this world then of course your map would be accurate... but for this dimension, not theirs.

also i love it when i detect 'America envy' proclaiming Americans to be dumb. uhhhh actually we have proven to be the smartest blokes as you might say... we invented almost everything and we dominate the world. lol. so stick that in your pipes and smoke it. yes we have dumb people but who doesn't. the few of us who run things... lets just say dominating the world isn't for dummies. lets see your country do this. lol.

in the meantime realize that ATS is just for that. exploring far out ideas.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
First off, I think it would be safe to say that a vast majority of these people had NO idea where on the map New Zealand or Australia were, let alone what hemisphere they are in... As for the rest, they would appear to be people who are in search of attention... Such as the OP. Probably couldn't think of a descent thread so decided to throw that out there so people would acknowladge him... I say we just ignore it... It will go away.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tylermbell

how was my post off-topic??

this is general conspiracy, and i told the op whats wrong with the thread. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join