It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95% of People not from Australia or New Zealand, suck at Geography

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Pompous = having or exhibiting self-importance Arrogant = : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner Selfish = concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others This thread fits these terms just perfectly.

I think that's a bit harsh Muzzle, though i agree it could be seen by some as trolling.
However, perhaps this new thread was started because the OP didn't want to bump any further the original thread?
I know that is the reason i have never posted in it.
Any new visitor to this site, upon seeing that other thread, would possibly assume the worst of its members.
Imo it would be a great service to this site as a whole if it was just laid to rest!

Just my opinion.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

And my how the media has a hold over even the "enlightened" ones.

As much as I dislike our "celebrities" and their brain dead status, the whole Justin Beiber thing can be minimalized to a misunderstanding and a little research would have proven that.

A couple months prior in an interview he was asked about his German heritage and he seemed to answer it just fine, talking about his relatives and even speaking in German. Shows how much the sensationalist machine likes to nag on these celebs.

But of course, "as long as the media gauntlet serves MY needs, it's ok."

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
First post here but I finally had to sign up after watching this silly argument go on and on.

I think I know why people think that NZ used to be west of AU. At some point, here in the US at least, maps would show NZ in a separate "cut out" box which was placed on the west side. Similar to maps of the united states that will cut Alaska or Hawaii out and place them in a small box next to Florida, or in the Gulf. It is done to save space on a map.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by imaginednation

Oh wow, why didn't I think about that! LOL.

I usually just look at a globe, so I don't get as much distortion when looking at different land masses.

This, honestly, could explain the world-wide forgetting of Austrailia and New Zeland relative locations to each other.

As far as the alternate dimensions, I agree 100% they do exist. Problem it, if you are born on this plane, then any other is going to be nearly impossible to get to and even more impossible to get back. I'm curious how these people that are experiencing this phenomena are traveling to and fro. Please, enlighten me, some one who has had this experience.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Shall I go start that thread "95% of Aussies suck at using their Brain"?

See? It's just begging for attention. It's childish as hell.

Posting "Counter Threads" is frowned upon around here too.

But since Op is a Celebrity here, he faces no repercussions at all, nor is the thread moved or anything.

How I wish I was a celebrity so I could troll with no consequences.

It must be fun...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Shall I go start that thread "95% of Aussies suck at using their Brain"?

Hehehe.. do it!

link   

Shows that even on forums of truth, open mindedness, and denying ignorance - even ATS must abide by the "status quo".

Tis a shame indeed, and it is not the first time I've seen it happen since I've been here.

link   
reply to post by Seitler

I was obsessed with maps as a child, but even when I saw the original thread on this my mind's eye still tried to picture NZ on the west because that was how NZ was represented
to me by most maps during childhood. Not being from that side of the world, itd be an easy mistake to make.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by imaginednation

I asked my assistant chief where he thought it was, and he wasn't sure either. I was a bit stunned at first, especially since he is about 40 y/o, but I guess if, like you said, you see something in one possition, you'll think it's there even if it's a digram that does not show actual location or distance.

I still am shocked when I look at a globe, compared to a map with a mini-image, of hawaii. I also expect to see it closer to North America than it really is. The arguement of Austrailia and New Zeland is now settled in my mind.

Thank you imaginednation for releaving my vexation of the general population. Now I know it's just the way our minds like to interperate data! Yay to our little biocomputers we have in our organic computer cases!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It must be all those large breasted women throwing off their Equilibrium.

Australia bans images of small breasts to curb pedophilia
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I didn't read the replies and I don't have to - but I find this thread quite insulting. Just because an obviously HUGE group of people doesn't understand what and "alternate reality" is - allow me to define it for you.

No don't bother. I think the most important thing for people on this thread to understand is that you were one of the biggest believers in the original NZ thread so you have conflict of interest here - and a vested interest in trolling this one. This is a thread for people who don't believe that crap. Get It?

All you you were ever successful at doing in that thread was abusing other members, spitting the dummy like a child, telling everyone how much smarter you were than them, constantly sighting your education level while at the same time, conveniently overlooking all the valid scientific questions directed at you.

I seem to remember a thread from a couple of months ago where you spat the dummy and said you were leaving ATS. What happened there? Cold feet? Tantrums?

We've already heard everything you have to say in the older threads and no one with half a brain agreed. Perhaps your views will be better appreciated in one of those 'believer threads' where everyone is so desperate to believe they are special dimensional travelers.

IRM :shk:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Of course you're right OzWeatherman.
I did see the alternate theory some time back and it was totally absurd how many people displayed their complete ignorance of the basic geography of the World.
What's more... the more Aussies and Kiwis who told them they were wrong... the more they actually believed their own ridiculous theory.
It became quite captivating to watch how many members were actually prepared to argue that those of us who live here were wrong.
Sometimes I just wonder about people...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I flew from Los Angeles, California to Anchorage, Alaska and was over land the entire time. Does that mean the ocean wasn't where it was?
I flew from Ontario, California to San Jose, California and was over water most of the time. Does that mean the land moved out of the way?

After a plane takes off and settles into a gentle bank and climb, you will lose spatial orientation. A plane can spiral upwards and downwards several thousand feet / meters and you'd never know it.

Get over it.

I say 100% of the people that think Australia and New Zealand aren't where they have always been are 5% confused and 95% intoxicated.

[edit on 5/10/2010 by abecedarian to remove superfluous quotation]

[edit on 5/10/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
I didn't read the replies and I don't have to - but I find this thread quite insulting. Just because an obviously HUGE group of people doesn't understand what and "alternate reality" is - allow me to define it for you.

We get it, we really do. I understand that if these people had indeed switched realities that there'd be no proof. I understand that when these people switched realities then the world would appear exactly the same to me.

I understand that when someone says to you that NZ and Aus are in exactly the same spot that you roll your eyes because they have been on the same timeline the whole time and thus NZ and Aus haven't moved for them.

What I don't understand is people who claim it is more likely that they have jumped timelines into a parallel dimension (where countries are in different spots, nothing else noticable) than got the wrong impression from a bad map.

I am yet to hear from a NZ or Aus native to say they have noticed the same "switcheroos" going on. If I ever do, I will pay them much more attention, no offense.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Perhaps the whole concept of the "shifters" is a hoax to draw out the fringe.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

sorry mate [ and if you look at your ` freinds notifications ` i am not taking the piss - i have no idea why i didnt do it sooner ]

BUT

you are just plain wrong - and pulling statistics out your backside

yes there are a lot of stupid people out there who cannot even find there own backside with both hands :p

and the notion that australians / new zealanders are somehow largely immune - is simply preposterous

i have seen a lot of evidence on ATS that many of your fellow countrymen are unfit to be left unsupervised

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Agree with you Oz, I'm pretty sure they are in the same place they have always been. Simple as that really. It's like the one guy who posted a thread, where he thought Ireland should be on the East of Britain, ya know, where mainland Europe should be?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
....and pulling statistics out your backside

Everyone knows 63.3% of statistics are made up

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Pish-Tosh. New Zealand is OBVIOUSLY north-west of Australia and here is proof:

[edit on 10/5/2010 by rnaa]

[edit on 10/5/2010 by rnaa]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I think the confusion has arisen because of the way maps are drawn, that being a spherical object trying to be represented on a flat map. I remember seeing at least 2 or 3 slightly different maps when i was in school. Each a new attempt to improve upon the other. However whenever i have seen a globe then the land masses have always been in the same place.

This seems like a perfectly logical explanation and yet it's mostly ignored by those believing in this nonsense about New Zealand and Australia.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join