It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 and the Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So 2012 is suppose to be a big change.. let me tell my idea.....
every 3600 years roughly the world goes through changes, other posts have shown that ice ages occur, earthquakes, super volcanoes.. pick your poison..
The mayan have a calander that calls 2012 the end of a long chapter and beginning of a new, they do not state anything related to the end of the world. But their calander system is related to farming... well if there is a big change in the world then 2012 end calander makes sense now, an ice age means o #!
My idea relates to why they would call 2012 a new era or a change... human kind has spread so rapidly and we have grown everywhere, if our planet was hit by anything massive enough to destroy most of our life, the remenants of our past would still be visible on a huge scale.
In the past when civilizations were wiped out, the knowledge wasnt as well preserved, so we look for the clues and the pieces now but when the 3600 cycle hits and we are given the "change" .. catastrophic or not... I believe that more of us will survive this time around, and most importantly we have advanced so far in so little time, I think that this time around the knowledge WILL be remembered and that is what the long calander cycle represents. Instead of wiping clean and starting over, we will still have left over remenants of our past civilizations everywhere!
Of course everything we say on here are mostly educated guess/ideas but if the past is true and every 3600 years something really devestating does happen, well in the past civilizations have never peaked this high, otherwise we would see the remenants of them on a wide scale.. not just a few pyramids..

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
First of all, I thought the long calander cycle was 5125 years give or take, not 3600 years.

Second, in regards to leaving remnants of our civilization. It's either the History or Discovery channel that has a show called "Life after Humans" or something similiar. Very interesting that most of our "achievments" will be quickly wiped away within 100 years without maintenance. We don't have many of the solid stone structures that the ancients had. Most of our "megalithic" structures are made of metal and glass. Metal corrodes, rusts, and fades away very quickly without a coat of paint every couple years.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyinthemiddle

Yeah and the long count was 25625 years(I think). It was 'Life After People' on the history channel. They said that after about 500 years there would be nothing left of our cities. They said Mt. Rushmore might be able to last 100,000 years but everything else would be completely gone in about 2,000.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
double post.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by time91]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xagathorn
I believe that more of us will survive this time around, and most importantly we have advanced so far in so little time, I think that this time around the knowledge WILL be remembered and that is what the long calander cycle represents.

well I agree with this point.

This is the reason why the US has those deep underground
bases for the military, congress and elite. More will survive
cause we can predict better than we did 3600 yrs ago.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by time91

Ha. In response to Mt. Rushmore, I have to assume 4 giant heads carved into rock would definitely be more mysterious to future generations than the pyramids are to us. I guess then it would be the four wisemen as opposed to the three wisemen?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
McKenna's Timewave Zero is a singualar event, I believe, rather than a cycle. There is only 1 2012; its not part of a cycle that is then reknewed. Although the Mayan calandar is of a limited number of years, its not clear whether or not a cycle is involved. I suppose it depends on what sources you read...anyone like to comment?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a68e8b62828.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The mayan calanders are definitely related to cycles. They had cycles for everything, moon, sun, seasons, etc. Not to mention the ceremonial calendar is a circle, almost explicitly implying a cyclical system.

As for Timewave zero, I read that the end date was originally up in the air until he read about the mayan calendar, and decided that was as good as any. He related it to the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyinthemiddle

The mayan calanders are definitely related to cycles. They had cycles for everything, moon, sun, seasons, etc. Not to mention the ceremonial calendar is a circle, almost explicitly implying a cyclical system.

Wait a moment, though...cycles such as those you noted occur WITHIN the calendar; can you find explicit proof that the entire long count ITSELF was assumed to repeat? And simply noting that the calendar must be cyclic because its shaped like a wheel seems like a big jump to me. Moreover, the presence of smaller cycles does not directly imply that the entirity is cyclical.

I'm not saying it is definately NOT cyclic, but people seem to assume that without proof. I've kept a lazy eye on this topic over the years and while I'm not so schooled in it as some, I have yet to come across hard proof that the long count ITSELF is considered to repeat. The sun will rise on the solstace exactly behind the "Black Road" (Xibalba be), but this does not in and of itself prove cyclic repetition.

[edit on 3/28/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Well, I will admit that the cyclical nature, to me, is implied. Professional scholars may well know one way or another what the maya thought, but that is beyond my knowledge. My evidence though, is that the current long count (5125 years I believe?) began around 3113 bc. The age of the earth, ~4.5 billion years old, and the age of humanity, ~100,000+ years old, almost insists that their calander must be cyclical. If it didn't exist before 3113, why start it then and not 100 years before or after? Divine intervention maybe? I don't know.

Personally, I hope something great happens at the end of 2012, but the past has shown me what happens when I get my hopes up.

join