It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News (conservatives) declare WAR against Higher Education

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Faux news is a "liberal bias slant" compared to the other networks. I can't watch faux news with out scratching my head and thinking why man, why.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
reply to post by 2manyquestions

So I guess the lesson this thread is teaching, if you are actually reading it, is you are very rare. Not only is your experience highly unique, it only further proves that conservatives are little more than whiny little cry babies that are too weak willed to have their own set of thoughts.

Whatever people need to blame ignorance on.

There is an evangelical college near my home. I find it hard to imagine they spend much time praising liberals during their Republican fund raisers. I do not complain. I just did not go to that school. This is America and you have a choice.

How exactly does my experience prove that "conservatives are little more than whiny little cry babies that are too weak willed to have their own set of thoughts"??? First of all I'm not Republican. When I disagree with some Democratic ideas and opinions does that automatically make me a Republican? Second, did I sound like I was whining? I was only presenting my experience at my University. Am I not allowed to do that unless my experience agrees with you? I guess, according to your statement, you believe the one with the biggest and loudest mouth is the strongest. Just because I'm not trying to force my beliefs down people's throats doesn't make me "weak-willed", and I certainly have my "own set of thoughts," especially now after you've presented me with your silly post.

If a school calls itself an "Evangelical College", they advertise that they believe in a certain thing, attracting more people with the same belief. My University didn't advertise that it would be a highly liberal school where Professors spouted off about their personal political beliefs during class time. If anything, it was known as a great medical school. I believed that I was going to school to learn about the subjects I chose to study, and those had nothing to do with politics. If the University turned out to be predominantly Republican and I heard them preaching pro-life and anti-stem cell research during my art class, I would have felt the same way.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

Interesting how you misrepresented what was on that video. They were reporting on and discussing a study. If you have to lie to make a point, you don't have a point to make. Other than of course you can't be trusted.

I'm neither a Republican or a Democrat. I should not have to say that, but I'm sure anyone pointing out your bias will be labeled and you will likely label me.

Since Universities were a Far Left environment in the early seventies when I attended, I have no doubt they still are. Professors have never made a secret of the fact they are Democrats for the most part and they do in fact push their politics on students. I know they did in the schools I attended.

It took me years to get the brainwashing out of my head. As I realized much of what they told me turned out to be untrue, I woke up. I know now that both those on the far left and right are the problem. Intolerant bigots, all of them on both sides.

It is truly hard for reasonable moderates to deal with the radical nature of Professors while trying to learn facts while being programed. I think that is what the study was truly about. Being brainwashed to either side should not happen in school. That is the same method used by people like Mao.

Luckily the vast majority of us are moderate independents who do the work and pick up the pieces, while the fringe runs around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Bush = Obama
Obama = Bush

Simple math. When you learn that, you will be enlightened. Stop hating and start thinking. It's not that hard.

Lets not get into name calling since you're speaking of "Quit hating." First you tell me that I misunderstood/misrepresented the point of the video and almost in the same sentence, you called me a liar. That seems to be two contradictory points right off the bat. According to your interpretation of my thread and how I wrote it," I am guilty of disinformation because I misinterpreted the content of the vid, AND in the next sentence... I'm just plain lying to twist the information to what I want it to say. How could I be both of those simultaneously??? If its simply misinterpretation, how would I be guilty of lying??? Wouldn't one counteract the other? It doesn't make sense.

Second...I assert that it is neither of the two options in which you made into one. There are other possibilities here.
1. You actually misinterpreted the video and chose to blame it on me.
2. I subjectively interpreted it exactly how I believe that it was stated and created a thread that displayed my point of view. Interestingly enough, others saw the same meaning which pretty much puts YOU in the minority. Isn't reality determined by the majority?
3. You came here to attempt to tell your view, but failed because of your blatant attack.
4. This thread is counter to your political schema, therefore anything that counters your predisposed beliefs triggers your defense mechanism, hence, your reply.

I could continue, but, it's not really important.

What is important though is YOUR interpretation of this thread

For instance, out of the multitude of possibilities that this thread entails and what it could implicate, you chose to find the very worst meanings in it that you could. You specifically chose the one's the best suited your worldview verses mine, and then chose to act aggressively. I have passively disagreed with many on this thread before you, and, never did it degrade to name calling. If you look carefully, I even highlight valid areas of their points of view and show them when I appreciate a well formulated argument, and then politely bid them good day. You chose the exact opposite approach from the very beginning. Ultimately, what does that say about your frame of mind?

I'm sorry, but I view Fox's Broadcast as an attack against education. I have heard this type of dangerous rhetoric before, and let me tell you, the results of that rhetoric has historically been bad. Ironically (but not so much), Fox is the only news station that ran that article because it met a certain agenda (conservatism) that they are attempting to push...Otherwise, the idea of a Liberal Slant within education wouldn't have been mentioned. If that is not obvious to you, then, I cannot teach you how to read between the lines. There are people who listen to this sort of stuff and allow it to make decisions for them. I presented this video and I'm allowing you to make the decision for yourself. Either way, each side (Fox news and I) presented our sides to the same study. It's up to you which side you choose.

And last...I've made that connection earlier in the thread. Obama=Bush. I didn't say it in so many words, but, I pretty much got to the idea that its not a liberalism vs conservatism scenario that we are dealing with. Its a poor verses the elite. You should really check the history of the thread before making so many visceral comments.

So, you haven't enlightened me so much as you've shown your apparent lack thereof.

Good day, and peace be unto you.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry
Lets not get into name calling.

Funny that you can't say the same to people who agree with you and choose to belittle others.

First you tell me that I misunderstood/misrepresented the point of the video and almost in the same sentence, you called me a liar.

The word "war" is never said in the video. Nor does Fox ever call for the banning of higher education. this person believes you are intentionally framing the argument. Fox does rightly point out most of the programs/colleges are dumbed down by virtue of the study. This is something pointed out by many people. You can go watch a documentary right now called "Decline by Degrees" by PBS of all people. It's a more damning indictment of college education than this video clip. As I said earlier, I have never encountered overly political behavior from a professor, so I don't know if it's true. Those who have encountered it obviously have seen/heard it. i don't think their opinions should be thrown under the bus because you find it threatening.

I'm sorry, but I view Fox's Broadcast as an attack against education. I have heard this type of dangerous rhetoric before, and let me tell you, the results of that rhetoric has historically been bad. Ironically (but not so much), Fox is the only news station that ran that article because it met a certain agenda that they are attempting to push. If that is not obvious to you, then, I cannot teach you how to read between the lines. There are people who listen to this sort of stuff and allow it to make decisions for them.

If someone is silly enough to base their decision to go to college on 3 minutes or so of Fox news ranting, I'd think they were probably a moron to begin with. Stop blaming Fox because people are stupid. They choose to be uniformed and they reap the consequences of such a state. But, Fox's message is pretty light compared to most of the nay-sayers out there.

www.cato-unbound.org...
www.jewishworldreview.com...

[edit on 17-2-2010 by antonia]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well S&F for you.

I have a large problem with the censoring of others and their thoughts and ideas (liberal or conservative). I also have a problem with promoting ignorance. Whether you live in a lower class urban or rural area it seems there is always some "culture of ignorance" going on.

Since FOX is the "everyman's joe the plumber" channel it seems that celebrating this ignorance is in their best interest.

Heres the thing guys: America was founded in the liberal salons of the 17th and 18th centuries. The ideas were those which were shared by the *gasp* liberals in these educational environments who questioned the status quo and *gasp* decided to promote reason and science and social justice away from RELIGION and all stagnant ideas that oppress.

So, this is as it has been, and as it always will be.

Now, if you don't like *LIBERAL* ideas, whatever the sociological reason that may be is, there are "special" universities for you as well. You won't usually find these on the top 100 list because...well...when you censor in one area you begin to censor in others. And the true great thinkers of tomorrow DO NOT believe in censorship. Sorry.

Professors should always challenge a students thoughts. That is what they are there for. To make THINKERS and not ROBOTS out of the future of the country.
That is all their intention is. Not to brainwash for their own agenda.

If you want to spend a college education sitting there, never challenging what you already know, then you are a lost cause and a waste of money.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by awake_awoke]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The aim of the High is to remain where they are. The aim of the Middle is to change places with the High. The aim of the Low, when they have an aim -- for it is an abiding characteristic of the Low that they are too much crushed by drudgery to be more than intermittenly conscious of anything outside their daily lives -- is to abolish all distinctions and create a society in which all men shall be equal.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Orwell eh? I probably would have told Orwell the Low would much rather take the place of the High as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Lets not get into name calling.

Funny that you can't say the same to people who agree with you and choose to belittle others.

Do you always have to be deceptive to make a point?

Lets not get into name calling since you're speaking of "Quit hating."

Maybe it takes and education to know that you cannot chop a qualifying phrase from someone's words and add a period where you want to. What you did was edit that quote to misrepresent it but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just do not understand how that all works.

I was not belittling you one bit. I was helping you help me disprove your point. You said that it would be bad to have too many educated people around because someone needs to do all the work. You demonstrated that you were clearly not educated so I had to ask why you are not doing any of that work?

Obviously what you meant was the someone like me with an education gets to just sit around all their life with no cares while people like you make life function around us. Well, you are doing the same nothing that I am. If your premise were even remotely on point, you would be missed at a work station all this time.

You are the one that insisted on responding to me without taking the time to go back and see what you may have misunderstood about my original post. You also insisted on the silly premise all the while going out of your way to prove it does not apply to you for any reason at all. You also insisted on arguing that a word meant something when it did not and even went out of your way to post the definition - clearly demonstrating your severe lack of reading comprehension. I did not ask for any of this and certainly did not force you to do it.

The point is, according to you I should be sitting here lazily all day long just saying things. I am. You should be out making the world move and change because you are such a good indian. Well, the campfire went out a while back and you were still here with me. Get my point yet?

I guess I was just thinking that educated or not, when you insist on something and prove yourself wrong, it is generally pretty acceptable to just admit you may be wrong.

You, on the other hand, went a whole other way and for that I most certainly feel ridicule is in order. Would you not do the same? You seemed pretty hostile toward anything I had to say from the beginning, hence the "calm down." I react to what I am given and I felt pretty certain that if I insisted I was right even after I myself posted the evidence that I was wrong, you would have ridiculed me. Perhaps not. Maybe you just think it is ok to come across in such a hostile manner from the get go. I at least took the time to really decide if you deserved to be spoken to in such a way. Isn't it interesting how that worked out?

As far as I can see, no one has agreed with me belittling you. Not one person has posted about how great it is that I let you look silly. If you look at what was agreed with it had to do directly with education and what it is good for.

Perhaps you missed that when you were busy not learning it is wrong to misquoting people by purposely editing their sentences. Maybe it was while you were so busy telling me all about how valuable people like you are because you are so busy.

I will let you figure that all out and if you would like to start all over again and try to address anything I actually said in my original post, let me know. I would really enjoy an actual conversation about you indian theory. In the meantime, I will just sit around being lazily educated while you sit around talking about how much you contribute. Sounds like a plan!

Cheers!

[edit on 17-2-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Yeah, sums it up for me. This idea of "universal equality" is a sacred cow. People don't like being told they may be inadequate to the task at hand. Can't blame them. We've all grown up in a decadent society that offers us too much safety, protection and propaganda.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I was not belittling you one bit.

I'd say telling someone they had said "the most ignorant thing" you had seen on ATS in 20 minutes is pretty insulting.

I was helping you help me disprove your point. You said that it would be bad to have too many educated people around because someone needs to do all the work. You demonstrated that you were clearly not educated so I had to ask why you are not doing any of that work?

No, it just proves you could not grasp the concept being presented. Most people are not equipped to handle college. No amount of education will change this point. Just as most people are not qualified to play professional football. It is not saying these people are bad, defective or useless. They can find work in different areas and pursue other forms of post-secondary education.

Obviously what you meant was the someone like me with an education gets to just sit around all their life with no cares while people like you make life function around us. Well, you are doing the same nothing that I am. If your premise were even remotely on point, you would be missed at a work station all this time.

I did not mention your education. In fact, I don't ever remember saying I thought education was a bad thing. You are simply reading it that way for some odd reason. College education is good for those who benefit from it. As for the question of me working, I do remember stating I was in college. I have worked in music and the hospitality industry. As i'm knocked up right now, I'd rather not work. That is neither here nor there though.

You are the one that insisted on responding to me without taking the time to go back and see what you may have misunderstood about my original post. You also insisted on the silly premise all the while going out of your way to prove it does not apply to you for any reason at all. You also insisted on arguing that a word meant something when it did not and even went out of your way to post the definition - clearly demonstrating your severe lack of reading comprehension. I did not ask for any of this and certainly did not force you to do it.

My original post was not a response to you. You chose to jump on it, I responded to your point. I have flatly stayed, several times, that i do not believe in the universal potential of man. You keep arguing points of this nature. You cannot bring everyone to the same level. It doesn't matter how hard you try.

I guess I was just thinking that educated or not, when you insist on something and prove yourself wrong, it is generally pretty acceptable to just admit you may be wrong.

I don't think I'm wrong. I just think you have a very different viewpoint. These two views cannot be reconciled. I don't care what you do with you time really. I made no mention of what I think you should or should not do in truth. I just am confused as to what your problem is and why you choose to keep harping on about this crap. Ignore works, use it since you think i'm so hostile. My opinions were clearly stated before. Most people are not college level material and it's a disservice to them to tell them to go to college or force them to that level. I'm not smart enough to get into the sciences, so I don't pursue them beyond general interest. It's not some damning thing.

As for college itself, there are many people out there who believe it's an overinflated industry and destined to fall flat on it's face.
www.forbes.com...
When something is exclusive or rare, it tends to have value. When something is commonplace, it tends to be cheap. All things work this way, education is no exception to that rule.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I'd say telling someone they had said "the most ignorant thing" you had seen on ATS in 20 minutes is pretty insulting.

I guess I give up with you then. "Was" was not only in italics for a reason, it was given context to clarify. Clearly I am better off talking to a wall.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I'm really unsure where your aggression with me began.

Personally, I had no problems with anything that you said from the beginning, and also, I have yet to make any attacks against anyone. Whatsoever.

So, I'm at a loss as to what to say to you.

I bid you good evening and peace and love. I hope this is adequate enough to satisfy any confrontational addiction that you may have.

again...peace be unto you.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I guess I give up with you then. "Was" was not only in italics for a reason, it was given context to clarify. Clearly I am better off talking to a wall.

This person is clearly looking to satisfy their addiction for adversity. And yes, you are better off talking to a wall.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

reply to post by concernedcitizan

Orwell eh? I probably would have told Orwell the Low would much rather take the place of the High as well.

I can't tell if this is another attack. You do realize that this person was agreeing with you...very much like I had...Right???

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
Well S&F for you.

I have a large problem with the censoring of others and their thoughts and ideas (liberal or conservative). I also have a problem with promoting ignorance. Whether you live in a lower class urban or rural area it seems there is always some "culture of ignorance" going on.

Since FOX is the "everyman's joe the plumber" channel it seems that celebrating this ignorance is in their best interest.

Heres the thing guys: America was founded in the liberal salons of the 17th and 18th centuries. The ideas were those which were shared by the *gasp* liberals in these educational environments who questioned the status quo and *gasp* decided to promote reason and science and social justice away from RELIGION and all stagnant ideas that oppress.

So, this is as it has been, and as it always will be.

Now, if you don't like *LIBERAL* ideas, whatever the sociological reason that may be is, there are "special" universities for you as well. You won't usually find these on the top 100 list because...well...when you censor in one area you begin to censor in others. And the true great thinkers of tomorrow DO NOT believe in censorship. Sorry.

Professors should always challenge a students thoughts. That is what they are there for. To make THINKERS and not ROBOTS out of the future of the country.
That is all their intention is. Not to brainwash for their own agenda.

If you want to spend a college education sitting there, never challenging what you already know, then you are a lost cause and a waste of money.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by awake_awoke]

Thank you for your response. I'm glad that others feel the same. It amazes me that anyone would defend the actions of Fox and their current stance on Education.

Star to you from me.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I can't tell if this is another attack. You do realize that this person was agreeing with you...very much like I had...Right???

And you do realize that person was having a conversation with me? He did not interpret it as an attack. Notice the conversation continues later. Quit looking for an attack everywhere.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by antonia]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

And you do realize that person was having a conversation with me? Quit looking for an attack everywhere.

I have no idea what you're referring to. An attack would be similar to what you've been doing on this thread the entire time that you've been here. I know that I've not wronged you in any sense, therefore, much of your posts to me seem to be pointless.

Peace and love to you.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I have no idea what you're referring to. An attack would be similar to what you've been doing.

Peace and love to you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We were having a conversation that had nothing to do with you. It was not an attack on you, or him. Stop accusing me of attacking you when I did not do so in that post.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I have no idea what you're referring to. An attack would be similar to what you've been doing.

Peace and love to you.

We were having a conversation that had nothing to do with you. It was not an attack on you, or him. Stop accusing me of attacking you when I did not do so in that post.

You can spin this however you like to fit your worldview of what occurred and what didn't. However, the truth is all over this thread and anyone with intellect and volition can look it up to find it.

I have nothing further to say to you...

Good day and peace and love.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

It is in one political parties best interest to keep all it's constituents sickly and stupid. Everywhere you turn you can see them moving in that direction in almost every area when it comes to health or education. How can you continue to sell all the cigarettes you make to your constituents unless you stop educating them so well....a duh?

Unfortunately the democratic party cannot get away with any such sick and stupid agenda since they have a multi-colored variety, a disagreeable base of individuals who think for themselves (for better or worse) and they just will not go along with or follow any great social plan such as this.

But the other party, these lock step "talking points robots" can be fooled into thinking just about any old thing their representatives want them to think. All they do is bad mouth the other candidate, threaten, bribe or purchase and there are your votes! Like candy from a baby.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join