It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb explodes in Northern Ireland

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Ok folks, I understand that it's a passionate topic but anymore personal threats will result in post removals and post bans.\

If you can't discuss this topic in an intelligent, adult way, regardless of your personal experiences, I would suggest that you don't post in this thread.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Heres another news article on this...

www.google.com...

Sounds like the bomb was small enough to just damage the car and driver. This still doesnt say if anyone else was hurt.

Heres one with a pic of the car.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 8-1-2010 by BingeBob]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
reply to post by BingeBob

"If the idiot Orangemen would stop their needless provocations come marching season and if the PSNI managed a little bit better with their equal policing policies and Paisely would finally shut the # up, would you still demand the union of Northern Ireland with the Republic of Eire?

Or would you prefer to live in the UK with it's greater taxation base and better ability to deliver funding to social and public services?

Or would you still wish to join a truly neutral nation on the edge of the EU?"

You mean an "objective" question like that, that somehow removes the emotions from the equation?

ok a question. What is so provocative from your view point that the orange order actually do? Are you aware of the orange order demonstration in Donegal in the republic of Ireland there year after year passes with no trouble. So is it the demonstrations that are provocative or is how people percieve them that is the problem.

Secondly which Ian Paisley are you reffering to as one has retired from politics.

Also in my opinion the republic of Ireland in it's current state could not cope finacially with a united Ireland. It would also mean for the people living in norhern Ireland at the minute that benefits would be greatly reduced and health care etc would need to be paid for.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by andy mac myc]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by andy mac myc

What about a united ireland 2 years ago?

Healthcare schmelthcare...The services may be different or even reduced but they would have to adapt and overcome. It would be possible

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBobIm asking you and blue. You say you live there. On an objective stance are there people that live in the north that want to dissolve ties with britain? What percentage of the population would you estimate wants this?

www.ark.ac.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob
Im asking you and blue. You say you live there. On an objective stance are there people that live in the north that want to dissolve ties with britain? What percentage of the population would you estimate wants this?

www.ark.ac.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

The question is do the Irish Government really want Northern Ireland?

Do the people of the Republic of Ireland want a United Ireland?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yes...That is the question

Take a look at the surveys that blue posted

Im looking at the technical data of how the survey was conducted now

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy mac myc

The question is do the Irish Government really want Northern Ireland?

Do the people of the Republic of Ireland want a United Ireland?

good questions- if the IRA were involved in such a noble cause as this deluded person thinks, then why did the democratically elected govt of the Republic/Free state have them classified as illegal and a threat to security?

The IRA were viewed as criminals and there was only one army, the official army of the Republic of Ireland/Free state.

ALso, as my link shows, the support for united Ireland within NI is very small

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I also wonder if there are "false flag" theories among the population whereas the attacks are staged to prompt or crate support for a British takeover of Ireland entirely. Invasion theories abound all over the globe. Why would this situation be any different?

They would be pretty much unfounded. Ireland is a neutral EU state & Northern Ireland is a UK region.. the idea of the UK invading it is infinitely impossible unless Europe fell apart and descends into tribal warfare once more.

Also, relations between Ireland and the UK are extremely strong and although separate countries, we are pretty much identical is all ways. Why would the UK want to invade the Republic of Ireland unless to try and wipe out Catholicism again?? There would be no logic behind it. Its like saying the US want to invade Canada.

ok a question. What is so provocative from your view point that the orange order actually do?

Its more of an emotional & religious provocation. Marching for William of Orange is supporting his wars against Catholicism. And while Catholicism vs Protestantism is a touchy subject with history leaning towards the eradication of Catholics and Catholicism by the British Empire and previous Kingdoms.

I think they should be allowed march but should be mannerly enough not to march through areas where they will offending people. Same situation with Republican marches.

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
The highest support came in 1994 with 59.36% of the British respondents supporting Irish Unity, while only 24.09% in support Northern Ireland remaining in the UK.

Thats the terrorism at work, forcing public opinion. Since that survey NI became pretty much an autonomous region in the UK and the UK has pretty much become an autonomous region in the EU.. Reunification will never happen no matter how much public opinion rises towards it.

The survey above was during the 90's - the 80's & 90's were tricky times in regards relations between the average Irish and English person. Thankfully thats changed almost completely now.. We've just gone back to doing what we do best.. making fun of each other

There are still some pockets in areas of Ireland where strong dislike of the British, namely the English, still resides but that is almost always rural regions where the worst massacres took place over the centuries and the idea of never forgiving, never forgetting was passed down through the generations.

Don't get it TBH.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

The thing that really gets me about the whole devolved government is the fact we would have self confesed and convicted terrorists running the country. Are they the right people to take charge of a contry? Opinions please.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The thing that really gets me about the whole devolved government is the fact we would have self confesed and convicted terrorists running the country. Are they the right people to take charge of a contry? Opinions please.

IN my opinion no, not people who think that a campaign which included incinerating pensioners at La Mon, for example, was in any way "just"

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

good questions- if the IRA were involved in such a noble cause as this deluded person thinks

ALso, as my link shows, the support for united Ireland within NI is very small

Well thanks for some rational yet still insulting replies blue. The survey you linked to says that they polled a total of 1215 people. Thats 60% of the total people they went after for the survey and 32% of the total people they went after refused to take part and 7% made no contact.

49% of people polled were protestant and 36% were catholic.

According to Wiki. The population of N.Ireland is 1,775,000.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBobWell thanks for some rational yet still insulting replies blue. The survey you linked to says that they polled a total of 1215 people. Thats 60% of the total people they went after for the survey and 32% of the total people they went after refused to take part and 7% made no contact.

49% of people polled were protestant and 36% were catholic.

According to Wiki. The population of N.Ireland is 1,775,000.

are you familiar with what a poll is, ie, a representative sample of the population, not the entire population?

now, also, check over the years, and see if a united ireland "yes" answer meets your acceptance, or perhaps all those years are just coincidences

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Im just saying that 1215 people out of 1.75m people is like me walking into an ACORN compound and asking if people like Obama...

And then posting a poll that says 99% of Americans Love Obama

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I never would have thought for a second europeans would return to this... I thought Ireland had grown passed this. Excuse me.... not Ireland.... the IRA/and their cousin.. dis/rep

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
so how long until the americans declair war on ireland for housing terrirists, and all that sh!te?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stanlee

They may declare war for the opposite reason. The Democrats, inclusive of Pelosi and Obama, have apparently taken the official position of supporting the unification of Ireland.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Something that really angers me is the fact that America is sticking it's nose in again where it is not wanted. If you are American please do not take this a personal insult it is In no way meant that way.

I think also going back to the op origional post I think we should also turn our thoughts to the injured police officer and his family as he is still seriously I'll in hospital. Another needless victim in a long war.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob
So like I said before...The cause is just but the violent means are not

To ignore that britain shouldnt be there is foolish.

So by that argument, you would be quite happy to give New Mexico and California back to the Mexicans? even Texas maybe?

and also allow "indian Reservations" to become independent?

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join