It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb explodes in Northern Ireland

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Bomb explodes in Northern Ireland

news.bbc.co.uk

A bomb has exploded under a car in County Antrim and a man has been taken to hospital, the police have confirmed.
His condition is not known at this stage.

There is an ongoing security alert at the scene of the explosion on Milltown Road in Randalstown. His partner suffered minor injuries in the attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is breaking news from the United Kingdom.

Reports of a car bomb attack by the Real IRA, target was probably a police officer. Other reports suggest children might have been in the car at the same time, but has not been confirmed.

A worrying development. I'll post more when I have it.

The man is in a serous condition with injuries life threatening. Police conference occurring soon.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Snippet from the article in the OP

Dissident republicans have been responsible for a spate of bomb attacks across Northern Ireland in the last year. In October, a dissident group planted a bomb under a policeman's car in east Belfast.

Makes me wonder who was responsible. Muslim extremists, or locals fed up with their police?

Is there anything else besides this article?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Its dissident republicans. Not Muslims.

Individuals who broke away from the Provisional IRA.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Dissident republicans have been responsible for a spate of bomb attacks across Northern Ireland in the last year.

But does it mean that they are also responsible for this one? they may be speculating it could be them, but its not clear yet right? im not accusing them or anything 'Muslims.' I just wanted to make sure that the story wont be twisted, and have the blame placed on them.

so what IM guessing, these are the home-grown terrorists they have been talking about.

This is an interesting story.

The reason why i asked, because they didn't clearly specify, they were speculating. at least that's what i got from the few lines in the article.

[edit on 1/8/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I can't believe this is still going on.
waiting for more.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
These dissedents have been rumbling away in the background for about 18 months now, they have always had a prsesence since the "ceasefire" was announced, but never really had any technical ability

the worrying part is that some of the old bomb makers, quartermasters and foot soldiers form the old regimes are coming out of "retirement" to help out

the political wings & factions are condemning these latest attacks, but they seem to be getting more and more support from the people who carried out these types of attacks from a few years ago

[edit on 8/1/10 by osc121]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

I assume you were looking for another article on todays bomb if so please see link below from another local news source.

www.u.tv...

[edit on 8-1-2010 by andy mac myc]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It was confirmed he was a police officer.

the worrying part is that some of the old bomb makers, quartermasters and foot soldiers form the old regimes are coming out of "retirement" to help out

Yeah, that is true. And rather worrying. It is obvious old Provisional members are getting involved in a new campaign.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
so what IM guessing, these are the home-grown terrorists they have been talking about.

This is an interesting story.

The reason why i asked, because they didn't clearly specify, they were speculating. at least that's what i got from the few lines in the article.

[edit on 1/8/2010 by ugie1028]

Um, I don't particularly want to come off as some kind of snob here, BUT, prior to September 11 the most famous terrorist organisation in the English-speaking world was the Provisional Irish Republican Army, better known simply as "the IRA" (and "Provos" to Brits).

It will in all likelihood be decades before ANY incident of terrorist-type violence in the province of Northern Ireland isn't immediately assumed to be home-grown.

Google "Omagh", in one day they suffered a worse terrorist attack in percentage terms than New York did on September 11, 2001.

And anybody who's followed the news out of Ireland for the last two years or so will also assume it's so-called "dissident" factions split from the PIRA at work. As it was when they shot two soldiers getting a pizza delivery and went after another cop recently.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by HowlrunnerIV]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
So this is all just people who are pissed off at the Gov't and want to change the course of their country to perserve the motherland and what it stands for? If that's the case then I support their CAUSE.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Ermm...Northern Ireland has a history of terrorism - so does Britain as an entity. Terrorism did not start post-September 11. After all, the republicans are financed by Americans in New York (ironic, yeah)

The only other group, who participate in more terrorism, is animal rights group such as the Animal Liberation Front.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

Nice to know you've openly supported the attempted murder of a gentlemen attending work on ATS

Next time a terrorist attacks occurs in America, us Brits will post positive remarks about the terrorists

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Makes me wonder who was responsible. Muslim extremists, or locals fed up with their police?

Or Slovakians?

Explosives planted on man to test airport security

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Think my next job is to find out if it was the same kind of explosives that had been put in an unwilling passengers bag on a plane to Ireland

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

A very naive statment my friend,
You do not honestly think all the people North and south of ireland want to go down this road again ?
All the development we lost out on such as education, transport upgrades,
civil enginering projects, ect.
The disidents just want to go back to the days when they went about there extorsion, threats, intimidation and all the other crud they got up to,
Do not fall for the patiotic "this island of ireland" line.
There is a new generation of children growing not knowing what violence is. That in its self is worth the good friday agreement.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by foxhoundone]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
So this is all just people who are pissed off at the Gov't and want to change the course of their country to perserve the motherland and what it stands for? If that's the case then I support their CAUSE.

You are my enemy, I live 30 miles from this bomb, these people wish to kill my kith and kin- move over here if you support them so much, give me a call

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Now that post is truly worthy of a YouTube response. However, bacause this is ATS I don't think I'll indulge myself tonight.

Suffice it to say: the motto here is Deny Ignorance, not "Wallow in Ignorance"...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
So what is it these people are fighting/terrorizing for? I was always under the impression that it was rooted in British occupation of their land.

So half of Ireland wants the British there and half doesn't? Is that why it's split like Korea? If so, there's always going to be a problem. It may have waves with crests and troughs but it won't ever go away. No occupation is ever settled. All it takes is one person to "not like it.".

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I feel that was a very naive statment. I dont know how much of the history of this conflict that you know about and what has happened to all the paramilitary groups since the cease fire. I believe from your statment you would know very little of how they are financed let alone there other activities for example there actions against anti social behaviour within their own comunities.

I think before making a statment like that a little more research may have been needed on your part.

And I am speaking here on all paramilitary groups from both sides. Even the ones attaining to the "cease fire".

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
So what is it these people are fighting/terrorizing for? I was always under the impression that it was rooted in British occupation of their land.

So half of Ireland wants the British there and half doesn't? Is that why it's split like Korea? If so, there's always going to be a problem. It may have waves with crests and troughs but it won't ever go away. No occupation is ever settled. All it takes is one person to "not like it.".

this concerns NI, the Republic of Ireland is an independent entity which holds no animosity towards the North. Within NI we have extremists with precious little support who hate the British- ie me, I am part of the problem, I am an "occupier", as I am one of the British majority community, and I can assure you and them I will not be going anywhere.

As for "occupier", this is a subjective term, there has been a longer "occupation" than European prescence in America and arguably, once could looke at the historic distinct nature of Ulster pre plantation

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join