It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Russia Is About to Dramatically Change the World

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by the hype

Things in Canada mirror what is happening in the US. I live on the Atlantic coast and I have many friends in the growing Oil/Gas industry. A couple facts that are kept very quiet...

-The Irving Oil Refinery in Saint John NB is one of the largest in the world, and it's being expanded (doubling in size actually...odd if oil is on the way out)

-Everytime someone looks for oil here they find it. All the talk about the US needing Alaska or the world turning to Russia is (deliberately) misleading. There is more oil on the Atlantic coast than anyone knows what to do with, and we are constantly finding more.

Personal proof?

15 years ago I was working as a gas station attendant on the night shift...for several weeks I had reps from exploration companies coming in for thier morning coffee before heading out to the work site. One morning one of the supervisors happened to mention that they were winding down and leaving the area, so I asked him if they actually found anything

The man waited for the store to clear out before answering me. He very quietly said that he wasn't supposed to talk about the results, but yes, they found natural gas at every location they drilled at.

In the last couple of years there have been massive oil and gas discoveries near Newfoundland in the Georges Bank area (the $3billion Hibernia project, once resting on the largest deposit on this coast, is actually now resting on top of medium sized deposit as they have found larger ones in the area).

The Northumberland Straights area (located between PEI and NB) has been discovered to hold immense deposits of natural gas. Nova Scotia is developing the Sable Island porject wich has just been re-estimated as larger than thought in addition to new fields in that area...

Peak Oil? Not likely.

One of the spinoffs of a deliberately repressed region is that alot of our youth leaves the area to make thier fortunes elsewhere. In the Maritimes most of those people head to Alberta (Calgary and Fort McMurray) to work in the Oil Sands and fields there. Prior to the current economic situation, the people who were returning from out west were all saying the same thing...5 years and the focus will shift from Alberta to the Maritimes for development.

Need proof? Do some research on federal transfer payments (our term for the redistribution of federal taxes to the various regions) and resource allocation in Canada. In the last few years the federal government has tried to nationalize the deposits here, limit investment, discourage research, refuse development...name it. Fortuneately for us there was a law on the federal books that they grudgingly had to honor allowing us to retain ownership of our resources. Since they couldn't take them from us, the federal government made sure that we can't afford develop them ourselves by reducing our share of the transfer payments...thus requiring the region to sell access rights to others.

Oil is the biggest of big business and it follows a bastardized verision of supply and demand...they demand high profits, so we are told supply is limited/dewindling in order to drive the price up.

Under the status quo, we will never be allowed to exploit alternative energy systems folks. The enviromental movement is providing excuses for new taxes, giving more control for TPTB by reducing disposable income (people don't have time to question what the gov is doing when they are barely scarping by). Given the massive amounts of revenue tappable for graft/bribes ($1500 a sec is what Exxon/Mobil was earning at one point last year) politicians cannot afford to be honest or responsible on our behalf.

We are being pimped out by our governments to the oil companies; Like any good pimp they use fear to convince us that this is the way it has to be.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

Very balanced understanding which makes sense. Thank you.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DarkCyrus]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
One last thought...

Recently there has been an up surge in the pro-oil commercials on TV here in NA. One in particular explains that one company has spent over $100 million on research into clean burning technologies, others talk about advanced tech to locate new feilds, new drilling abilities...

This is to sell hope.

People are close to the breaking point and the world's governments know it. The investments made by the oil companies are insignificant when compared to thier profits. However as long as they can point to the horizon and say that hope is just about in reach we the public will calm down and wait for it to arrive.

Look around, it's the same formula being used everywhere else, push until people start asking why they are being pushed so hard and then back off just enough that things seem to improve.

Then they start pushing again.

I honestly believe we are living in momentus times. I truely hope that the smoke and mirrors of our current system doesn't lead to another world war, but one way or another conditions are going to change.

The only real question is whether that change is the result of a choice by the 6.7 billion citizens of this planet, or inflicted upon us by 0.01% (guesstimate) of the population in line with thier best intrests remains to be seen.

Again, look around. There are too many cracks in the system for it to continue as is and people are not as easily appeased by rhetoric as they once were. Yes, there are vast numbers of sheeple out there who blindly follow, however our numbers are growing daily: More and more people are beginning to see through the fairy tale veneer.

You want change in the western world? Look to stay-at-home moms and housewives for it. When this segment of society stops watching reality TV and realizes that the future of thier children is truely at risk the ground swell will be unstoppable.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Oligarchs and corrupt politicians aside, the Russian people have had it hard for quite some time, so who can argue with the wealth moving to them for the next economic cycle?

(and no, i'm not a communist, or a marxist - i'm a McGintyist
)

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Except.. Russia does not sell Oil in Dollars. They sell Oil in Rubbles.

This means the Rubble will climb, the Dollar will fall.. while there will be "more" Oil, the price in American Dollars will rise.

(Yes, I do find that hilarious.. )

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This only highlights the need for an alternative energy source. I don't know about you, but I find it disingenuous if not dangerous to be getting our energy that runs our hospitals, industry, and business, from RUSSIA. Nuclear Energy, for example, could easily replace Natural Gas in the electricity generation arena.

[edit on 6/1/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
WW3 Peeps...its coming

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The US has been positionining itself to control Middle Eastern Oil, as a foil to Russia's growing dominance in the oil industry. The recent focus on Yemen is key to this strategy, because Yemen is believed to have the largest undeveloped oil fields in the world, capable of fulfilling all the world's oil needs for 50 years. The US wants control over that oil--hence the recent bombing incident, and public focus on Yemen.

In addition, Yemen is geographically positioned at the straight that connects the Red Sea with the Indian Ocean,. Thus, having a strong US military presence in Yemen, and perhaps Somalia, will allow the US to control oil flows through the Suez Canal and Red Sea, estimated to be some 3 million barrels a day.

The so-called focus on "green energy" is simply lip-service used to placate the public. The powers that be have no intention of giving up their power, which largely consists of "oil power". Oil has always been the key to winning wars, and will continue to play this role for at least the next twenty years--if the world lasts that long.

I expect a third World War by 2014-2015. All of the players are currently arming themselves to the teeth, as was done in the late 1930s, just prior to WWII, and oil will be the key as it was before. Russia is now positioned to rise up in opposition to US hegemony, and it will become increasingly bold in doing so.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
This only highlights the need for an alternative energy source. I don't know about you, but I find it disingenuous if not dangerous to be getting our energy that runs our hospitals, industry, and business, from RUSSIA. Nuclear Energy, for example, could easily replace Natural Gas in the electricity generation arena.

exactly my thoughts, like ITER goes online around 2030 and Japan for instance will harvest solar power from their space based station[1GW] that makes energy prices 6 times lower thenterrestrial sources, also a country with not many fossil fuel resources. Energy production/consumption that is dependant on geographic location will eventually lead to war, kids could learn that from playing a game of red alert..Good for countries like Russia and Canada sitting on a big pile of oil but eventually those forms of energy production becomes absolete during this century.

p.s like the avatar, i am a big fan of Thorium nuclear power, would solve a lot of problems[energy/proliferation of nukes, nuclear waste etc.]

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Foppezao]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Ignorance Is Strength - Russia - Death of a Nation

Fifteen years after the fall of Communism, Marcel Theroux goes on a personal journey through Putin's Russia. He discovers a country that's literally dying. When the Soviet Empire collapsed in 1991 it was generally assumed that life was going to get better for the average Russian. Sadly, however, as Marcel Theroux's journey through this vast and troubled country graphically demonstrates, most people are actually worse off than they were 15 years ago. In fact, modern Russia seems to have most of the disadvantages of the old Communist system, but few of the advantages.

Meanwhile, the majority of the country's wealth has been siphoned off by a tiny minority of oligarchs and mafia-backed businessmen. So, although the economy has grown rapidly in recent years (largely thanks to the country's vast mineral wealth), most people have grown poorer in real terms. The country Theroux explores is in serious decline. The population is already falling and threatened further by the very real possibility of a million deaths from AIDS by 2020.

It's not a great as they make out in Russia.

Free Press?

The Kremlin announced today that it is forming a new 28-member commission whose mission is to combat “the falsification of historical facts and events aimed to disparage the international prestige of the Russian Federation.” Now let’s read between the lines. The commission won’t have any power outside Russia, so the bit about protecting the country’s international prestige is a lame fiction. The real goal is to make sure that the Russian people only know the history that the Kremlin wants them to know.

I have also heard it is not as bad as the author would have you think.
If they are losers-- where the heck are the winners?
Not the American folks at this point.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Talk about a day late and a dollar short....oil will be obsolete in the near future, as alt. fuels are developed.

I give this story a BIG GIANT [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a15d7c171fc5.jpg[/atsimg]

i agree 100%...as fossil fuels are running out and non-renewable energy sources are becoming a thing of the past...i think this is an effort by russia to scrounge as much money from the last of the oil before its gone....more and more renewable energy sources are being developed...and every year they get more and more effective.

eventually we'l hit the target for unlimited safe unpoluting energy and oil and coal will be a thing of the past...but before that happens and oil continues to diminish....people will begin to pay more for it...therefor whoever has the oil...charges wot they like...and makes billions.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I read through the articles and I do agree with the posts. But one thing stated in the one article sticks out in my mind.

I believe their is no such thing as oil shortage and we continually fall for the same lies. When has their EVER been a shortage of oil?

its fact that oil is non renewable and WILL run out...as it is made from dead animals decaying over millions of years...we are using up the oil quicker than it is being created naturally.

the reason why there has "never been an oil shortage" is because untill the industrial revolution we barely needed a fraction of the energy we need today and oil wasnt so precious. as the industrial revolution was only just over a century ago oil has always been in abundance.

perhaps there is still more oil left on earth than man is saying...is even knows about...who knows if governments lie about it...or just actually dont know.

either way...despite governments being corrupt on so many levels. i happen to believe them about depleting oil and coal sources because we all know it has to run out sometime.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Angiras

Actually wind and solar could be the key to the problem.
Problem is that you have to deal with Goldman Sucks and the like before it becomes popular enough to offset oil.
The big boys are busy as we speak. They are building grid like collectors every where they can get some cheap desert land.
It is coming. We all know it can work and it will when the big boys find a way to tax your wind and sunshine. Some of my solar stock has jumped 20 percent in the last couple days.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

We have a long way to go before fossil fuels begin to run out. The undeveloped oil reserves in Yemen alone are estimated to be enough to fuel the entire world for 50 years.

Before there is any big change in our energy sources, the powers that be, who now control oil, will have to be brought to their knees and effectively removed from power. They will not go willingly into the night.

All this talk of renewable energy is simply lip-service to placate the public. Meanwhile, full-scale development and strategic planning revolves around the world's oil resources.

You are right. In the end, oil will be replaced by other energy sources. But the world has a long way to go, and will require a fundamental restructuring before that becomes a reality...such as that brought about by another major world war.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Fossil Fuels, and non-renewable energy sources, are by no means a thing of the past. Their use is expanding. That's why we have such a problem.

DOE: Fossil Fuel Remains Economic-Driver Through at Least 2035

“This forecast clearly shows the continued and increased role fossil fuels will play in powering our economy. Specifically, EIA finds that demand for liquid fuels will be up nearly 10 percent, natural gas by almost 7 percent and coal will increase by 12 percent above 2008 levels – in 2035. Fossil fuels remain dominant and necessary for economic growth and this analysis reinforces that.”

Institute for Energy Research.

There are physical and fundamental problems to wind and solar.

Also, please remember that the energy sector moves extremely slowly. I get my electricity partly from the worlds dirtiest coal plant that is about 50 years old. Point is, there is unlikely to be a significant change is energy sources for a long time.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Moscow’s move seeks to pressure Belarus into ceding its oil-processing plants to Russian companies, such as Rosneft and Lukoil. That goal forms part of a wider intention to “privatize” the economy of Belarus through Russian state-connected oligarchic entities. Lukashenka has resisted thus far.
Belarus currently transports a whopping 70 million tons of Russian crude oil per year through the HomelTransnafta pipelines

georgiandaily.com...

keeping in mind that this is the Georgiandaily, pretty interesting nonetheless.

Russia wants to put a hefty hefty tax on exported crude oil from Belarus.
This will drive prices up while Belarus's refineries are at low prices.

Russia will soon own Belarus refineries

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

You did notice who the author of your top chart is?
just sayin

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Talk about a day late and a dollar short....oil will be obsolete in the near future, as alt. fuels are developed.

I give this story a BIG GIANT [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a15d7c171fc5.jpg[/atsimg]

Oil will not be obsolete any time in the near future even if alternative sources of energy catch on in a big way.

Petroleum based products include plastic and rubber amongst a zillion others:

ammonia
anesthetics
antifreeze
antihistamines
antiseptics
artificial limbs
artificial turf
aspirin
awnings
balloons
ballpoint pens
bandages
basketballs
bearing grease
bicycle tires
boats
cameras
candles
car battery cases
car enamel
cassettes
caulking
cd player
cd's
clothes
clothesline
cold cream
combs
cortisone
crayons
curtains
dashboards
denture adhesive
dentures
deodorant
detergents
dice
diesel
dishes
dishwasher
dresses
drinking cups
dyes
electric blankets
electrician's tape
enamel
epoxy
eyeglasses
fan belts
faucet washers
fertilizers
fishing boots
fishing lures
fishing rods
floor wax
folding doors
food preservatives
football cleats
football helmets
footballs
footballs
gasoline
glycerin
golf bags
golf balls
guitar strings
hair coloring
hair curlers
hand lotion
heart valves
house paint
ice chests
ice cube trays
ink
insect repellent
insecticides
life jackets
linings
linoleum
lipstick
luggage
model cars
mops
motor oil
motorcycle helmet
movie film
nail polish
nylon rope
oil filters
paint
paint brushes
paint rollers
panty hose
parachutes
percolators
perfumes
petroleum jelly
pillows
plastic wood
purses
putty
refrigerant
refrigerators
roller skates
roofing
rubber cement
rubbing alcohol
safety glasses
shag rugs
shampoo
shaving cream
shoe polish
shoes
shower curtains
skis
slacks
soap
soft contact lenses
solvents
speakers
sports car bodies
sun glasses
surf boards
sweaters
synthetic rubber
telephones
tennis rackets
tents
tires
toilet seats
tool boxes
tool racks
toothbrushes
toothpaste
transparent tape
trash bags
tv cabinets
umbrellas
upholstery
vaporizers
vitamin capsules
water pipes
wheels
yarn

Second list found on Gasprices-usa.com:

air conditioners
ammonia
anti-histamines
antiseptics
artificial turf
asphalt
aspirin
balloons
bandages
boats
bottles
bras
bubble gum
butane
cameras
candles
car batteries
car bodies
carpet
cassette tapes
caulking
cds
chewing gum
combs/brushes
computers
contacts
cortisone
crayons
cream
denture adhesives
deodorant
detergents
dice
dishwashing liquid
dresses
dryers
electric blankets
electrician’s tape
fertilizers
fishing lures
fishing rods
floor wax
footballs
glues
glycerin
golf balls
guitar strings
hair
hair coloring
hair curlers
hearing aids
heart valves
heating oil
house paint
ice chests
ink
insect repellent
insulation
jet fuel
life jackets
linoleum
lip balm
lipstick
loudspeakers
medicines
mops
motor oil
motorcycle helmets
movie film
nail polish
oil filters
paddles
paint brushes
paints
parachutes
paraffin
pens
perfumes
petroleum jelly
plastic chairs
plastic cups
plastic forks
plastic wrap
plastics
plywood adhesives
refrigerators
roller-skate wheels
roofing paper
rubber bands
rubber boots
rubber cement
rubbish bags
running shoes
saccharine
seals
shirts (non-cotton)
shoe polish
shoes
shower curtains
solvents
spectacles
stereos
sweaters
table tennis balls
tape recorders
telephones
tennis rackets
thermos
tights
toilet seats
toners
toothpaste
transparencies
transparent tape
tv cabinets
typewriter/computer ribbons
tires
umbrellas
upholstery
vaporizers
vitamin capsules
volleyballs
water pipes
water skis
wax
wax paper

www.saveandconserve.com...

The whole modern world will cease to exist without oil. It's actually very scary. Even the food we eat. I would suggest seeing the documentary called "Collapse".

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Yes. I used it because a member in another thread was using the same document in an attempt to show the "growth" of renewables.
All reputable sources say the same thing, anyway... The report, I might add, was pro-nuclear.... until it was edited.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angiras
The US has been positionining itself to control Middle Eastern Oil, as a foil to Russia's growing dominance in the oil industry. The recent focus on Yemen is key to this strategy, because Yemen is believed to have the largest undeveloped oil fields in the world, capable of fulfilling all the world's oil needs for 50 years. The US wants control over that oil--hence the recent bombing incident, and public focus on Yemen.

In addition, Yemen is geographically positioned at the straight that connects the Red Sea with the Indian Ocean,. Thus, having a strong US military presence in Yemen, and perhaps Somalia, will allow the US to control oil flows through the Suez Canal and Red Sea, estimated to be some 3 million barrels a day.

The so-called focus on "green energy" is simply lip-service used to placate the public. The powers that be have no intention of giving up their power, which largely consists of "oil power". Oil has always been the key to winning wars, and will continue to play this role for at least the next twenty years--if the world lasts that long.

I expect a third World War by 2014-2015. All of the players are currently arming themselves to the teeth, as was done in the late 1930s, just prior to WWII, and oil will be the key as it was before. Russia is now positioned to rise up in opposition to US hegemony, and it will become increasingly bold in doing so.

it would say it going to happen alot earlier than we think, and it wont just eb over oil, that will be another one of many reasons. i just hope all us innocent people can cope with whats is about to come.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join