It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime Rate In The World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime Rate In The World

www.youtube.com

When thinking about the mass extermination camps of a holocaust think..

The key to freedom is to be able to have the ability to defend yourself &, if you dont have the tools to do that, then youre going to be at the mercy of whomever wants to put you away.

Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.youtube.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
If every household in a country had a gun inside, then thieves would be disuaded from entering for fear of them being shot by said homeowners. Guns reduce crime while drug criminalization increases it. Many times throughout history people were brutalized soon after giving up their firearms, like in the Armenian genocide, the Jewish genocide, the Ukrainian genocide and it goes on.

Watch the video of Alex Jones reacting to this video.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Th wild west has always been protrayed in movies as a ruthless place with bank robberies and gunfights taking place daily.

But in truth it was not,because everyone carried a gun.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
And here I always thought it was because of the description of Switzerland given by Scott Adams of Dilbert fame.. That they were just aliens that walked around in stodgy German suits...

Joking aside, have been there, love the country and would have to agree that the Swiss are among the nicest and friendliest people in the world, I'd also not want to have to be faced with an angry one.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Where I grew up in Northern Idaho, everyone had guns. It was a given, and not something anyone pondered too much.

Yes, there was violent crimes committed with guns, I had to admit that. I can recall two occasions in 12 years. However, people didn't live in fear. There were no robberies.

Dade county, Florida:

Florida. In the ten years following the passage of Florida's concealed carry law in 1987, there were 478,248 people who received permits to carry firearms.9 FBI reports show that the homicide rate in Florida, which in 1987 was much higher than the national average, fell 39% during that 10-year period. The Florida rate is now far below the national average.
link

It's really too bad that we as a species have to have the consequence of being shot and killed as a deterrant against committing crimes, but there's little doubt in my mind that gun ownership keeps things safe for the populace.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LBJ___Bush_Sr_Kild_JFK

Besides gun ownership, did you stop to consider that the Swiss have a higher standard of living and less poverty, there fore less need to excape a life of poverty thru drugs or alcohol and the crime that is associated with substance abuse.

Almost no unemployment.

Better educated and don't live in a culture that glorifies violence and macho selfish mindsets.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Besides gun ownership, did you stop to consider that the Swiss have a higher standard of living and less poverty, there fore less need to excape a life of poverty thru drugs or alcohol and the crime that is associated with substance abuse.

Almost no unemployment.

Better educated and don't live in a culture that glorifies violence and macho selfish mindsets.

Responsibility and a government that is of the people. I believe they also are all armed in case someone does come to try and take back all the currency in those illegal swiss bank accounts. So why is there no unemployment, just like in Israel? Because the government, run by the Rothschilds, takes care of everyone, it's their little army. It's that simple. If everyone were responsible here, for themselves and their families, which should be one child or two if you have skills and can afford it, we would be better off too. New Zealand is the same way, a friend of mine just got back from there. To move there you need to show you have money and talent and will contribute to the economy and are a just being.

FACTS ABOUT GUN CONTROL

In 1918, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1918 to 1953, about 30 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews, Catholics and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million ‘educated’ people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
—————————–
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control:
56 million. (that number is an estimate, the actual number is probably higher)
——————————
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
List of 7 items:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 30.
2 percent!
Australia-wide, assaults are up 88.
6 percent!
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.
Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

AND

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals are now guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won’t see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it’s too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are ‘citizens’. Without them, we are ’subjects’.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, Please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

AND

1. Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him ‘Why do you carry a 45?’ The Ranger responded, ‘Because they don’t make a 46.’

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. ‘Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?’ ‘No Ma’am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.’

8. Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there’s more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said ‘Well I certainly hope it isn’t loaded!’ To which I said, ‘Of course it is loaded, can’t work without bullets!’ She then asked, ‘Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?’ My reply was, ‘No, not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.’

To which I’ll add, having a gun in the house that isn’t loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

I’m a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment!

The 2nd Amendment isn’t about hunting Bambi, it’s about keeping government from hunting us.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I just recently went to a mall, and on the outside a sign hung on the door reading this...

"Concealed Firearms are prohibited".

I imagine that means even if you have a permit. But what the hell. Is this trying to stop gun shootings in malls? If someone has the intent to go into this place, I HIGHLY doubt this sign will stop them.

In fact, this might stop a good citizen with a firearm from killing the crazed maniac if anything.

One word, three times. Ai ai ai!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
As a previous poster said, the conditions in Switzerland are far different than in other parts of the world.

But on the 2nd ammendment in the United States, Kennesaw Georgia is one hell of a success story.

findarticles.com...

Gun town U.S.A., revisited - success of Kennesaw, GA's gun ownership requirement law in preventing crime

In March 1982, responding to the passage of a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Illinois, and the fawning media coverage that accompanied it, the city council of Kennesaw, Georgia, decided to make a statement of its own. With exceptions duly made for convicted felons, the disabled, and those with religious objections, the council passed (unanimously) an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun.

The moment the story hit the wire services, a media invasion swept into Kennesaw, a small city on the northwestern frontier of suburban Atlanta. The telephones of council members began ringing off the hook. CNN called. Today called. The then-mayor, Darvin Purdy, went on Donahue.

The press reacted predictably. The Washington Post issued a mock salute to "the brave little city of Kennesaw, Ga., soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world." In a column titled "Gun Town U.S.A.," Art Buchwald described a place where routine disagreements would be settled in Wild West shootouts. Mayor Purdy declined to talk to the Post about his own guns, claiming that "the caliber of my weapons is a personal matter." In the hands of the Post's reporter, Purdy ended up sounding like Dr. Strangelove's General Ripper, the nut bent on preserving his "precious bodily fluids."

"The national media," recalls Chief of Police Dwaine L. Wilson, "made a big shadoo out of it, [but] most of the people in this area already owned some type of firearm." Actually, the media's amazement rang hollow. The press gang expected as much from the rural South. But it is safe to say they did not expect the results.

Just down the street, at Big Shanty Hardware, owner Dave Collier is selling lawnmowers. To Collier, the problem of gun violence is larger than guns. He wonders about all the dysfunctional families, the scarcity of good parenting. "There are some underlying problems in this country that they don't know how to solve," he says.

Twelve years after it began, Kennesaw's experiment in crime control does not present itself as an easy way to arrest the killing in America's streets. It does, however, suggest where the problem doesn't lie. As Mayor Stephenson told a national gun rally in Kennesaw a few years back, "We're the town that proves more guns doesn't have to mean more crime."

25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'
Crime rate plummeted after law required firearms for residents
www.wnd.com...

As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
"Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept. "

well I think that explains it in the article, how can the statistics be right if they admit they don't keep them? wake up some time soon people...

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Well , if they make money laundering a crime in Switzerland ,

I'm sure half the population would be in serious trouble !!!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Almost no unemployment.

If poverty is such a factor why wasn't the crime rate in the 1930s ten times what it is today- not having an ipod is NOT poverty, not having the latest pair of trainers is NOT poverty.

You have missed the real target, we have moral poverty- the I do what I want culture if it makes me feel happy brought to us by the liberal left spoilt children of the 1960s- broken homes, broken values etc

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Switzerland also has some of the tightest gun regulations and punishments for gun crime.

For instance, you only get to lug your gun around in public if a) it is your militia-issue weapon and you're going to or from training / practice, OR b) you have a gun-carrying license, which is almost always restricted to people who work in jobs such as private security.

They're also part of the Schengen treaty.

Far from being some sort of gun-lovers paradise and a case study for how everyone having a gun is perfct for society, Switzerland actually models the exact opposite - HUGE restrictions on private ownership, trade, and use of firearms paied with very, very tough penalties for breaking the laws regarding guns are why Switzerland is like it is.

I want to see some of these dumb rednecks in the US if our government took up the Swiss model. They would crap themselves.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Switzerland also has some of the tightest gun regulations and punishments for gun crime.

For instance, you only get to lug your gun around in public if a) it is your militia-issue weapon and you're going to or from training / practice, OR b) you have a gun-carrying license, which is almost always restricted to people who work in jobs such as private security.

They're also part of the Schengen treaty.

Far from being some sort of gun-lovers paradise and a case study for how everyone having a gun is perfct for society, Switzerland actually models the exact opposite - HUGE restrictions on private ownership, trade, and use of firearms paied with very, very tough penalties for breaking the laws regarding guns are why Switzerland is like it is.

I want to see some of these dumb rednecks in the US if our government took up the Swiss model. They would crap themselves.

yeah, because it is "dumb rednecks" out there in the "hood" committing all the crime isn't it
Easy to stereotype an acceptable target group.

As for your Swiss "harsh" gun laws, it sure as hell aint as "harsh" as the UK gun laws, these Swiss people can be legally armed in their own homes- not too many gangster would like to chance breaking into their homes

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Irony. All the crime is committed in the "hood" but you, out in Redneckistan, feel compelled to protect yourself. 'Cause god knows, all these criminals from "the hood" are terribly interested in knocking over your double-wide and making off with your commemorative Dale Earnhardt plates.

Are you aware that the swiss are obligated to keep both their guns and their ammo locked up in their own homes? Separately, if I'm not mistaken (I could be, on that particular).

Thankfully the hoodlums in Switzerland are probably Swiss themselves, and quite possibly polite enough to sip some coffee in the kitchen while hte homeowner gets his gun out and loads it to deal with them.

[edit on 21-12-2009 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Irony. All the crime is committed in the "hood" but you, out in Redneckistan, feel compelled to protect yourself. 'Cause god knows, all these criminals from "the hood" are terribly interested in knocking over your double-wide and making off with your commemorative Dale Earnhardt plates.

you good for stereotypes there, are you chief? If you read my post you would see I live in the UK and do not own a gun.

Yeah, but you knock yourself out with your acceptable stereotype of the "redneck", it makes you feel secure, look how cool I am, I am attacking these uneducated white hicks, I am probably white myself, but check how cool I am *barfs*

Are you aware that the swiss are obligated to keep both their guns and their ammo locked up in their own homes? Separately, if I'm not mistaken (I could be, on that particular).

Yeah, we will see how that boils down in reality, and it is still more of a deterrent than breaking into a home where I may be armed with a tin opener

Thankfully the hoodlums in Switzerland are probably Swiss themselves, and quite possibly polite enough to sip some coffee in the kitchen while hte homeowner gets his gun out and loads it to deal with them.
[edit on 21-12-2009 by TheWalkingFox]

The Swiss have simply bred a better culture than most (refer recent ban on Minarets)

*sips coffee*

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
you good for stereotypes there, are you chief? If you read my post you would see I live in the UK and do not own a gun.

So I presume you're typing form beneath your bed? It must be terrifyiing for you.

Yeah, but you knock yourself out with your acceptable stereotype of the "redneck", it makes you feel secure, look how cool I am, I am attacking these uneducated white hicks, I am probably white myself, but check how cool I am *barfs*

Well, cap'n, I happen to live in the US. Originally from Alabama. I'm also not white, in fact. I'm Choctaw. well, half, on my dad's side. a fair number of the rednecks I know are, in fact, red all over, but that's beside the point.

Point is, in this country, if you hear someone squawking about how the "gub'min is try'na take mah gunz" odds are it'll be coming form a man named Dale who wears a mullet and is carryign a can of pabst. He will then tell you how the revolution is coming any day now, adjust his nuts, and then try to teach you how to clean a catfish using only your nails.

Actually it's a kind of handy trick if you get lost in a bayou, but that's a story for another time.

Yeah, we will see how that boils down in reality, and it is still more of a deterrent than breaking into a home where I may be armed with a tin opener

Put the tin opener down, and pick up the tin. A can of baked beans can mess someone's face up just fine, and isn't too pleasant no matter where it hits a body, truthfully. Yeah, I suppose a gun is superior. But if you can't figure out how to screw someone up using household items, you probably deserve to get jacked up. Not saying I hope you do, just that, well, you shouldn't be standing there flapping your hands for want of a gun. I don't have a gun, either, but I guarantee you won't be happy if you break into my place.

especially since I actually own nothing your average burglar would be interested in stealing. Man, that would be the worst, huh? Get beaten down by some indian dude with a bar of soap in a sock, and turns out there wasn't anything you wanted anyway.

The Swiss have simply bred a better culture than most (refer recent ban on Minarets)

*sips coffee*

Well, certainly better than what can be gained by inbreeding on an island.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFoxSo I presume you're typing form beneath your bed? It must be terrifyiing for you.

Odd comment- I do not live my life in fear, but know many people that do, elderly, women alone etc- I fully support the right of such law abiding citizens, as well as myself, to be armed.

Being sensible and aware does not equate to fear, that is like me saying are you walking around with a blindfold in, sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE"

Well, cap'n, I happen to live in the US. Originally from Alabama. I'm also not white, in fact. I'm Choctaw. well, half, on my dad's side. a fair number of the rednecks I know are, in fact, red all over, but that's beside the point.

what is your other half, white, black or asian? If that is half of your heritage, why do you obliterate one half?

Point is, in this country, if you hear someone squawking about how the "gub'min is try'na take mah gunz"

Yes, because that is how most people who own guns speak, kudos on such an insight

odds are it'll be coming form a man named Dale who wears a mullet and is carryign a can of pabst.

as bad as saying all black men are rapists

He will then tell you how the revolution is coming any day now, adjust his nuts, and then try to teach you how to clean a catfish using only your nails.

see above

Put the tin opener down, and pick up the tin. A can of baked beans can mess someone's face up just fine, and isn't too pleasant no matter where it hits a body, truthfully.

No doubt, still don't fancy my chances armed with a tin of beans against someone with a gun or a knife

Yeah, I suppose a gun is superior. But if you can't figure out how to screw someone up using household items, you probably deserve to get jacked up.

Very odd- you are saying that a the disabled, the infirm, most females, pensioners or people who are just not a crime fighting hero like yourself deserve to get "jacked up"- lovely stuff, I recommend spending Christmas in a hospital ward laughing at the victims of the crime- your assessment is like saying a woman who wears a mini skirt deserves to get raped

Totally bizzarre

Not saying I hope you do, just that, well, you shouldn't be standing there flapping your hands for want of a gun. I don't have a gun, either, but I guarantee you won't be happy if you break into my place.

See above, and you wouldnt be happy if you get shot in the face waving your little tin of beans

especially since I actually own nothing your average burglar would be interested in stealing. Man, that would be the worst, huh? Get beaten down by some indian dude with a bar of soap in a sock, and turns out there wasn't anything you wanted anyway.

You would be better directing that at someone who likes breaking and entering someone's home- you seem to have me confused with that someone, I was talking about law abiding citizens arming themselves

And for the record, I wouldn't give a damn if it was an Indian, white or black dude waving a tin of beans *in this bizzarre hypothetical scenario where I am breaking into homes*

Well, certainly better than what can be gained by inbreeding on an island.

speaking from personal experience one presumes

*sticks on Mozart*

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
For the record this has been covered elsewhere on ATS.

Look here The earlier thread

Does this one need to be closed?

Regards

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

the problem with crime statistics is that they're never valid.

Police officers, district attorneys, judges, etc, all have the power to "throw out the charges" at their own discretion, and that crime goes undocumented, unpunished.

To suggest that Sweden is a magical land full of fluffy clouds, rainbows, and pink unicorns is just stupid.

They're a small country with a STRONGLY opinionated white population that seeks to force out anyone different than themselves (proof in current events) --- so you can guarantee that their bias stretches into other avenues of their society.

White guy beat up a black guy?

Lets keep that hush.

edit to add:

Originally posted by paraphi
For the record this has been covered elsewhere on ATS.

Look here The earlier thread

Does this one need to be closed?

Regards

Are you serious? We have mods...whats the point in posting crap like that?

Let the discussion continue. Its in another damned forum anyways...and a forum that i NEVER look at (weaponry)

so, if this OP hadn't posted it here, i never would have been in on this conversation (and im sure that goes for plenty of others as well)

God i just hate brown nosing.

[edit on 21-12-2009 by Snarf]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join