It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Switch to Digital :- Hidden Gov't Agenda ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The UK is in the process of switching from analogue to digital tv. Why ? When digital signals are so unreliable ? What do the government want the analogue channels for ? I have my own ideas which for now i will keep to myself , because I want other ATS members views and an honest and open debate ! So if you have any views please post !

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I just looked it up on google and it stated that the main reason for the switchover from analog to digital is because they want to license frequencies to other mediums other than television. They stated the main new uses for the old frequencies would be used for mobile phone broadband , as well as emergency responder radio use.

Plus I believe it is more efficient to broadcast with a digital signal as well. You can fit several more channels on a frequency with digital than you can on a analog signal.

Source askbobrankin.com...

To the OP , I am curious to what your idea is that you are not sharing yet. I'm sure there are more reasons than just for frequency allocation.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Interesting news about the UK switchover.

I read somewhere that an ex-IBM employee stated the switchover in the US was enacted to free up bandwidth for the more extensive use of RFID. I assume Verichips, since IBM invests with Verichip, now PositiveID Corporation.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I don't know about the mainland, but in Hawaii we have already switched over to digital.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
There's a forced retail boost in there somewhere too, in the US and in the UK I'm sure. Now you'll need to purchase a digital receiver or a newer tv with a digital tuner....assuming you don't already have one.

The good news....Now you can watch MSM in super duper high quality!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

We've already switched over here in America, I think parts of England have switched too. Anyways, there are only so many frequencies out there and many of them are being taken up by cellphones. Our governments were only trying to free up a few frequencies that are being used by TVs. There's probably no conspiracy, although I'll never say never.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Australia is also completely cutting analogue and switching to digital, there are TV ads stating this from the government

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
There's a forced retail boost in there somewhere too, in the US and in the UK I'm sure. Now you'll need to purchase a digital receiver or a newer tv with a digital tuner....assuming you don't already have one.

It's happening in New Zealand too and we are already beset with ads 'telling' us to buy the receiver.

I'm not going top miss my television.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
I don't know about the mainland, but in Hawaii we have already switched over to digital.

We are digital too, but cable(coax) will still run the analog signal, side by side with the digital.

You have no idea how annoying that is, if you channel surf.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
What do the government want the analogue channels for ?

the UHF (Ultra High Frequency) and VHF (Very High Frequency) analog frequency bands were slated to become available for governmental and private use primarily for biometric telemetry. (Biomedical Telemetry) which is the remote sensing of biological data of an organism.

here's an article on how back in 1998, Medical Telemetry was being interfered with, by early HDTV analog broadcast testing.

HDTV Broadcast Test Interferes with Medical Telemetry

do enough searchign and you will come across PDFs at the FCC about how the freed up UHF and VFH bandwidth would be allocated almost entirely to biotelemetry.

obviously any RFID chip could be upgraded to a level of integral usage with the UHF/VHF bands.. (many already use the UHF band by default) ..

aaand after coming to that conclusion.. I googled it and found... exactly that...

this - link - Ex-IBM Employee reveals TV Abandoned Analog Band to Make Room for RFID Chips

According to a former 31-year IBM employee, the highly-publicized, mandatory switch from analog to digital television is mainly being done to free up analog frequencies and make room for scanners used to read implantable RFID microchips and track people and products throughout the world.

enjoy your triple sixes, chip heads!
(oh and 666 MHz in the UHF band is 12.5mm long waveform, just FYI.. not that it matters... just yet..)

-

edit - oh i see above me others have referred to the same reason.. as well.. even the ex-IBM employee statement etc..

[edit on 14-12-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Don't worry about buying the receiver for digital TV. Leave it until the last minute and you will be provided with one for free.

TPTB will make sure you don't miss out on digital TV under any circumstances...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I work in television. We were in the thick of this switch. I realized right away that by requiring everyone to have some kind of individual box to receive a signal, you are giving everyone a different number, since each box has a different serial number.

What do they want with that?

For the first time ever, they will be able to collect true ratings of the amount of viewers watching, instead of the diary method currently used in most markets. They will be able to know what you're watching...even HOW LONG you're watching, when you change the channel, etc.

Of course, this level of data harvesting might need to meet some legal requirements, but the technology is there...

In your homes.

On a side note, making people buy some piece of technology may leave the poorest of us behind. Where they had TV before, they no longer will.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

In the United States, (Louisiana) I now use SDTV - Standard Digital Television for my TV because I would rather not pay for cable Tv. I love it. Each channel has 4 sub channels they wouldn't have with analog because you can pack more stations into a single digital signal.. for instance channel 4 is not just channel 4 anymore but it is 4a, 4b, 4c and 4d - each with its own different program lineup.

You do need a TV made for digital or a converter box and a good antenna but they work Great - just as good as any analog Tv antenna Plus you get DVD quality picture and sound!

I get about 17 local channels with this so that's 17 X 4= 68 channels for Free!

Now they have indoor and outdoor digital antennas that work equally well.

I do not know how they are doing it in the UK but I it's anything like here, you will like it over analog I am sure.

And what I cannot get on local TV, Sports and Movies, even regular cable/network Tv shows, I can get them all on the computer for free. ( if you know where to look and how)

Do I miss paying for Cable TV? No Way!!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
The UK is in the process of switching from analogue to digital tv. Why ? When digital signals are so unreliable ? What do the government want the analogue channels for ? I have my own ideas which for now i will keep to myself , because I want other ATS members views and an honest and open debate ! So if you have any views please post !

I read somewhere that in the US Google were picking up the licences of analogue tv frequencies to 'broadcast' Internet access through them.

Makes sense to me given the coverage and bandwidth that would be available.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
ever since the whole global digital TV thing started one thing has been sitting in the back of my mind the whole time...

PROJECT BLUEBEAM!!!!!!!!!111!!!one!!1

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW

We are digital too, but cable(coax) will still run the analog signal, side by side with the digital.

You have no idea how annoying that is, if you channel surf.

Why is it annoying? Most cable companies have it simulcasted so if your on a digital box its just digital that shows up.

Eventually you wont have than and will get only your basic cable channels double broadcasted.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I just thought of something,

I do not see how the Government or Neilson or anyone can know what you are watching through your digital signal - even if the TV boxes all do have special serial numbers.. ( Come on everything has a serial number)

They cannot know every time you buy a new TV that it gets turned or what you watch because you are NOT a transmitter. It takes HUGE TV antenna towers to broadcast to you.. They do not have receivers set up to capture every ones TV signal back to them.. you would have to be a broadcaster too and have a dish pointed their way.

I would be more concerned with Cable TV doing something like this because the signal is transmitted through a physical cable that links you and the cable people. Cable would make this Much easier if hey wanted to spy on you.

Unless someone can prove me wrong.. I wouldn't worry about that aspect of this technology.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
looks like it's time for the gov to play around with F.C.C. part 15:

1.) this device may not cause harmful interference.
2.) this device MUST accept any interference received including interference that causes UNDESIRED OPERATIONS.[/COLOR]

I live in the States, Las Vegas to be exact, and I got a question for the folks who read this post who live in the U.S. too. There has been an installation going on for around 15 years now of a certain "Hidden" antenna. I've observed this particular antenna however installed here in Vegas in quite an abundant array, accross the entire Vegas valley!

I'm wondering if this is also going on around the nation.. please post if you have observed the installation of the antenna's I'm about to describe...:

It is a singular pole antenna with a diameter of roughly 10 feet, and houses a huge brass ball at it's top. these antenna are USUALLY wrapped in a thick insulating wrap that has a white exterior surface coating of some sort. And finally, Most of these antenna bear a rather large American Flag on them - however I've notice several that didn't have a flag as well.

These poles are roughly 50 ft tall, and it's thier rather 'out -of- the- way manner that they're installed and yet with this blazing American flag on them that strikes you as odd. I actually walked upto the fence of one of them and read the warning plaques posted on them and the warning plaques state the same things as cell phone antenna sites do however the plaque makes it quite clear that the site belongs to the F.C.C... Not AT&T, SPRINT, BELL.... but the Federal Government.

Next observation....

Does anyone here remember the huge two part shipment of a supposed 'Radar Upgrade' package that shipped out of Texas while George Bush was president and was shipped to... of all places.... Alaska?

Yeah... ALASKA, home of another controversial antenna array....

H.A.A.R.P...

And now H.A.L. has admitted that the move from analogue to digital will be to implement biological frequency operations?

Heh.. I'm gonna go get my reynolds wrap, I'll be right back!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

If it has been going on that long, you should be able to find some in Google earth.. see if you can and post (copy and paste) the coordinates. This may help us know better what your talking about.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

They do know what your watching believe me ! Sky TV owned by Rupert Murdoch ! ! ! is the big hitter over here they buy up the rights to EVERYTHING but thats off topic ! I switched to digital long before they made the decision to go that way but i just wanted to know ...well it just seemed that the Gov't were hellbent on pushing digital ! I don't know about anyone else but the digital signal i get if it rains heavily or there is an atmospheric low or whatever sometimes TV is unwatchable and times the signal is lost absolutely ! I get my signal both through a dish with Freesat and Aeriel and Freeview ! The Freeview signal is more stable in bad weather ! It seems the Gov't were desperate to get they're hands on analogue and that only served as a red flag to me ! A few posts on this thread have agreed with what i had in MY mind ! Oh and Sky TV can switch you on and off individually if they can do that they know what your watching !

[edit on 15-12-2009 by ProRipp]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join