It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major water find on the Moon!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Breaking news: major find of water on the moon:

www.ktvu.com...

Good work NASA! They took time to analyze the data.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
yaay nasa never any tomfoolery in your work

good job!

(not necessarily this dummies don't take my head off overall trackrecord overall)

[edit on 13-11-2009 by '___'omino]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well, they published actual measurements. If you are going to disprove those, go right ahead. Saying it's bull just doesn't cut it.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Discussing it live now at:-

NASATV

Also discussing the mission data of the lcrosse impact.

To Add:-
100kg of water sensed JUST under the lcrosse sensors.

[edit on 13/11/2009 by UKWO1Phot]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'omino
yaay nasa never any tomfoolery in your work

good job!

(not necessarily this dummies don't take my head off overall trackrecord overall)

[edit on 13-11-2009 by '___'omino]

For someone who finds themselves important enough in society to find themselves above what information the NASA publishes about a measurement of ice, you would think you'd know how to spell correctly. Yay is not a word. You're thinking of yea. Read a book.

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.
Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

[edit on Sat Nov 14 2009 by Jbird]

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

I'm a grammar nazi, but the spelling you suggest is for a word you would use in a sentence such as "Yea, verily, thou hast taken my sandwich."

I feel it's perfectly acceptable to give a phoenetic spelling of the exclamation.

As to the water on the moon, that's pretty outrageous. Presumably we will now be discussing moon colonies?

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Sat Nov 14 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It's about time... but they are way too late anyway. Chandrayaan-1 already found water there. The data also suggested that water may still be forming on the surface - so I find it rather difficult to get excited about the LCROSS 'news'.

IRM

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ok lets focus on the topic at hand rather than spelling please,

Thanks
Asala.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
It's about time... but they are way too late anyway. Chandrayaan-1 already found water there. The data also suggested that water may still be forming on the surface - so I find it rather difficult to get excited about the LCROSS 'news'.

I don't. I do think it's exciting. The data is scarce at best, and any additional experiment that can quantify the amount we can expect is valuable. Did the Indian craft do that?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
While I think that the Indian Mission hinted at the possibility, or even the probability, of water on the moon, I think that the LCROSS's mission was to verify it.
Not only verify water, but to get a good understanding of the complete composition of the soil. In the article they are claiming that there are hints of "other intriguing substances" in the soil there. I wonder what that could mean.

At any rate, this is pretty big news. They need to get a terraforming project underway up there, ASAP.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Very important find.

I think this tells us a lot about the universe in general. If water forms this easily then the universe is probably filled with microbial life. Liquid water on Mars, the moon and titan. We have extremophiles and over a billion earth like planets out there.

The probability of microbial life at least has to be very high. As a NASA scientist said before we found water on Mars. Where there's water, there's life.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I really cant believe it took them this long to find it. After having man on the moon during the 60's and 70's now its 2009 and theyve just found this out???

Im no expert on any of the past moon missions, but surely if you were the boss you would have had those guys digging back in the 60's, or cetainly searched for it with some kind of probe.

Its great news, dont get me wrong. Just seems funny how its taken so long!

[edit on 13-11-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
Im no expert on any of the past moon missions, but surely if you were the boss you would have had those guys digging back in the 60's, or cetainly searched for it with some kind of probe.

There is at least one reason I can think of, namely location of the crater that was probed in that recent mission -- which is in complete darkness and extremely cold. This aren't ideal conditions for other types of missions, such as lunar landings -- you got to be able to see where you park
And have sunlight to power batteries, in other cases (like Soviet lunar rovers).

So this was the first.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
very interesting findings, indeed.

If there's water - chances are there are many other things that have yet to be discovered

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

that makes sense. cheers. It will be interesting to see if NASA get the huge increase in budget they were looking for from Obama!!

Imagine a manned base on the moon in the future. A base where missions to Mars can begin.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Im just curious...they were able to find out theres water on the moon, with there openly admitted lost tapes from the "moon bombing"?

lol seriously...they insult the american with them straight out saying "you guys are so stupid...you'll believe anything we feed to the media"

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
As previously said, the indians found water months ago.

In addition, no one saw any plummet at all during the impact. If you add this with the POOREST quality of the shot given to us a week later showing the plumet, i think you can deducte thtat what nasa is telling you there may be the thruth, but somehow is not related to LCROSS stuff, they knew it before the LCROSS "crash". So they just tell you want they want to release.

If you defend NASA, then you have a serious issue, either an eye problem or a thinking one.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The geek in me is giggling his little butt off

Im taking bets they find mircrobes in the water or soil

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Tricky63]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fedge
In addition, no one saw any plummet at all during the impact.

If you took time to see the video on CNN site, you'd notice that they use spectroscope to look at "ejecta", i.e. materials and gases kicked up in space after the collision. It doesn't need to be thick.

If you defend NASA, then you have a serious issue, either an eye problem or a thinking one.

I have decent vision and professional background in experimental physics, and my mental capacity is commented on rather favorably in my place of work and in my family. I don't see valid arguments in what you are saying, i.e. trying denigrate NASA off the bat.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
I really cant believe it took them this long to find it. After having man on the moon during the 60's and 70's now its 2009 and theyve just found this out???

Its great news, dont get me wrong. Just seems funny how its taken so long!

The moon is really really really big. What you are saying is almost equivalent to saying that since the earth contains oil, you and your friends can just step outside to a randomly chosen place and just dig with hand tools wearing uncomfortable gloves, and find oil.

Just because the moon has water that does not mean that it has lots of it everywhere, or that it can be distinguished purely by inspection.

And on another point, they DID bring trace amounts of water back in the 60's but because they were not anticipating it they chalked it off to contamination after arrival to earth.

-rrr

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join