It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conspiracy of Conspiracy Theories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have noticed a curious behavior among people and the media especially.

There is a trend to so confuse and mix the terms Conspiracy and Conspiracy Theory that they become interchangeable thus twisting the meanings of the terms.

We hear people say things like, " Those people are nuts, they see conspiracies everywhere." and " They believe in conspiracies." when they are really talking about conspiracy theories.

It would be foolish to try and deny the existence of true conspiracies. History is full of examples where true conspiracies have been proven to the point they are accepted as truth. We simply know conspiracies do exist. How could they not when you have so many people struggling for power or seeking to force their agenda or views on someone else?

One good example of a conspiracy everyone can agree with is when governments uncover a coup to overthrow it.

Conspiracies and conspiracy theories have had a negative trend or 'spin' put on them by our media. In the case of Conspiracies this is silly. It is like saying the sun doesn't shine when we know that it does. We know conspiracies do exist.

Likewise conspiracy theories are simply theories that seek to uncover what is hidden so that proof of conspiracy can lead to truth. All of the known provable conspiracies of the past have at one time had conspiracy theories surrounding them or they never would have been uncovered. If someone is trying to hide a truth from someone else they certainly don't want anyone coming up with a theory or much worse proof that they are utilizing subterfuge.

So you see, some theories may be incorrect or unproven but to class them as crazy just by virtue of the fact they are conspiracy theories is the same as saying you refuse to look at evidence that can prove a valid conspiracy. If your government for example is about to be overthrown by a coup and someone tells you of it and you ignore this information just because it is a conspiracy theory, you will be very sorry when your head is on the chopping block!

People need to be aware of these differences when they hear the media speak of conspiracies and conspiracy theories so they can correctly see the spin the speaker is trying to put on the situation. This will also serve to thwart any association of craziness with the person putting forth the theory.

Conspiracy theorist are people too and most of the time they are only trying to help. They are as normal as you and I.

Conspiracy theorists are not kooks. They simply uncover what is hidden so that proof of conspiracy can lead to Truth.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Conspiracy theorist are people too and most of the time they are only trying to help. They are as normal as you and I.

Conspiracy theorists are not kooks. They simply uncover what is hidden so that proof of conspiracy can lead to Truth.
Well put sir...S&F for you. It infuriates me how people instantly think any conspiracy theorist must be a crack-pot...that's probably the opposite of the truth...you may as well say detectives are crack-pots...we just like solving the case...and revealing the truth so that justice may be served...and the study of CT's often teaches us very interesting things others may not be aware of...it's a vast sea of "alternative" knowledge...and I find websites like ATS teach me important and deep things which can't be learnt elsewhere...we aren't the crack-pots...it's all those simple minded fools missing out on the real fun that must be insane to ignore it all...ignorance is bliss they say...well I don't agree...it's mind numbingly boring...

[edit on 11/11/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
In all fairness people who listen to the media aren't that bright to begin with.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

It would be foolish to try and deny the existence of true conspiracies. History is full of examples where true conspiracies have been proven to the point they are accepted as truth. We simply know conspiracies do exist. How could they not when you have so many people struggling for power or seeking to force their agenda or views on someone else?

conspiracies do exist.

No doubt. My favorite are the people who say 9-11 wasn't a conspiracy.
Even the official story was, by definition, a conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The vast oceans of lexicography have been so utterly polluted that even a term such as "doublespeak" has fallen prey to the inane assumptions of people who have relied so heavily upon contextual definitions rather than actually take the time to look the word up in a dictionary. In its simplest terms "doublespeak" is any language that pretends to communicate but does not. Ironically this term has been erroneously attributed to George Orwell and is believed by many to be a term he coined for his novel; 1984. However, Orwell never used the term "doublespeak" although he did use terms such as "newspeak" and "oldspeak" and even "doublethink" which in their own way come close to what "double speak" means. The point is that people have become so lazy about their definitions that it is not just the casual way in which conspiracies has become inextricably bound to conspiracy theories.

Even the word theory has lost its true meaning as well known theories such as Darwin's Theory of Evolution, the Big Bang Theory or the much more recent HIV=AIDS Theory have become, for far too many, accepted as fact rather than acknowledged as theory. Thus, those who question the efficacy of Darwin's increasingly crumbling, (in light of the multitudes of advances made in molecular biology), theory are labeled with such dubious "double speak" terms as "evolution denialists" or "flat earther's" and even "creationists" even if those skeptics be atheists. More recently the increasing number of scientists who have become vocal in challenging the established orthodoxy on the HIV=AIDS theory have been labeled "AIDS denialists" even though not one single doctor or scientist from this group of skeptics over the prevailing theory have ever once questioned the reality of AIDS.

Worse still are the scientists who have come to challenge the efficacy of the whole AGW theory who are quite regularly labeled "climate change denialist's" even though not one of them claims that the Earth's climate does not change! They are called, just the same as those who question the HIV orthodoxy "dissidents" as if either the AGW or the HIV theories are appropriately political issues rather than scientific issues. Science does not have dissidents but politics do. In science, a theory is best tested by attempting to disprove it, which would make any true scientist then a "dissident" if we are to accept the term as it has been so cavalierly bandied about.

When people are so foolishly willing to accept as law a theory there is no doubt a serious problem in the way theory has become defined. In science a law would be a valid description of some physical feature of nature while a theory merely explains that feature but does not in any way describe it. Theories are formed out of hypothesis in order to discover the law behind features and regardless of how seemingly sound that theory may be, they are not laws of science. Yet, as ambitious politicians are apt to do, there is always a push to create legislation, itself passed off as law, and increasingly legislation based on untested and unproven theories. Indeed, even legislation is not law but merely evidence of law and not actually law itself.

A terrorist was once one who used violent force against non military personnel in order to create terror amongst the general populace. Today the word is used to describe peaceful agitators who rely upon protest to challenge the status quo. Words such as democracy, once meaning nothing more than mob rule are now equated with absolute freedom. Those who question the current President of the United States policies are, by too many, immediately and gleefully labeled racists.

Language is less and less being used as a tool to communicate and more and more being used as a tool to bludgeon our opponents with, desperately we create all sorts of pejoratives to vilify our opponents rather than engaged in reasoned debate. Character assassination is the order of the day and with our language too many of us have become terrorists of the lexicon using vocal violence in an attempt to silence those who dare to question or challenge "conventional wisdom" when it is more likely that wisdom never has been and more tragically wont soon be anywhere near conventional.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I've been on both sides of the spectrum here. I've been at one end where I didn't believe in anything and I questioned everything. I think that the conspiracy theorist is well intentioned in nature... but takes everything too personally. They'll see holes in everything... and while it's good to question everything. That's what you're supposed to do. Conspiracy theorists take it one step further and attribute everything to hidden motivations or conspiracies... when in reality the truth can sometimes lie in plain sight. So in a sense... conspiracy theories can be right but these are no longer conspiracy theories they are more conspiracies of the grandest kind... so that's what I have to say on the subject.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
ONE WORD...ANNUNAKI

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemlocks

What do the Annunaki have to do with anything in this topic?

Second line

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

They are conditioned as much as you are, but in a different way.

I am not convinced that these websites are much different than the classic Tube (TV). Both offer a source of information, but if these powers are really so powerful, then how can one trust that what you find here is much better than the TV?

At least here, it seems there is a more diverse pool of information, and it's a lot easier to pick and choose, but ultimately I will approach all information with skepticism and do what I feel is right based on my intuition and reasoning combined.

A part of me says that the content on this website is just a distraction - another form of entertainment, another way to keep my mind active but safely out of the way. Either way, I think it's too late in the game for most of the future to be changed, and I don't want to get involved in any war - an info war (in the case of Alex Jones) or otherwise. Already so many of us are consumed by the arguing (form of battle/war?), and I get tired of the arguing and take breaks from this site, although I am discovering how to avoid the bulk of it.

In short, I don't trust ATS any more than I would anything else that comes across a tube - be it a TV or my computer monitor. The information is just too easy to manipulate in these digital days. Keep your minds open and options available, I say. And, be prepared to change course on short notice as things seem to be changing quickly.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Sure, the Media will put down conspiracy theorists as crackpots. Like you said, it is really only the act of thinking. We think about what is going on. Thinking is more dangerous than drugs and alcohol.

As I get older I notice that most people don't really do anything or accomplish anything. They just run through the maze like rats. It is true. They listen to something, or they watch something, or they get absorbed in emotions with other people, or they delve into satisfaction from drugs or shopping. Most people work and then go home and watch television or play video games. People are pets/slaves.

Just being on ATS and reading stuff of interest is more mental exercise than most people ever get.

The key is to be all you can be. Be successful. Don't worry too much about helping everybody. Just be successful and selective. Be God's gardener. That is what life is about.

new topics

top topics

join