It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Too American!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I have to say that I have had the misfortune, many times, of posting a thread during American sleepy sleepy hours and have seen it buried by the time they wake up - with no replies. I just wish that there was a way to bump threads (without the obvious "bump" post) so that they could take advantage of the influx of Americans when they wake up.

I have also had the misfortune, on 3 different occasions, of attempting to post articles about Australian politics. Within 3 or 4 posts in those threads I had American's coming in and saying things to the effect of "This thread is fail. What does this have to do with our lives?" and "Pointless thread". I have come to the conclusion, therefore, that posting anything about politics that is not American, here on ATS, is pointless because American's couldn't care less and try to shut the threads down by declaring them "Fail".

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
...you know those ridiculous 'Funniest Home Videos' shows?

...how you wince and semi try to look away knowing that kid playing Soccer is juuuust about to get kicked squarely in the nads?

...yet you keep watching out of morbid fascination, only to indeed see some horrendous nad-kickage, do that backwards sucky-sound we all do when we see someone just get kicked in the nads, and on some levels actually chuckle amongst our wincing at the aforementioned kicking of said nads?

...I don't mind ATS being 'too American'...

...it provides much morbid fascination, backwards sucky-sounds and chuckles...

Peace.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...it provides much morbid fascination, backwards sucky-sounds and chuckles...

LOL Yeah but a cricket ball traveling at 90 mph is far more effective!

For your viewing pleasure...

*makes backwards sucky sound*

IRM

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by silver tongue devil
reply to post by mr-lizard

Not all the authorities represented by the ATS demographic though

EXACTLY my point. Yet just because Americe has draconian drug laws, it doesn't mean that the whole world is that bad.

Yet if some one from Holland or Portugal would try and discuss the pro's and con's of say legalising marajuana for medical use (which is in fact legal or decriminalised in their respective countries) they would be punished and / or censored - Their crime - Open mindedness and the denial of ignorance.

Maybe ATS should at least change it's logo to 'Deny almost all ignorance but not quite'.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Oh, i haven't seen that one before, i actually showed this to my friends at the office and one said " omg, dude there his family jewels what sort of game are they playing...the rest is censored by T&C "

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I do agree that ATS is very American oriented lately. the problem is they sort of over power other topics overall.. But it isnt just here at ATS its happening..
i moved to the UK for the first time about 10 years ago, very little American influence here at that time.. then we moved back to the states for about 3 years before returning to the UK.. my partner and i were stunned at the changes here in those 3 years.. the, and i hate using the term, but it fits- Americanization of this country and a number of others was really quite un nerving.. Hell the schools here in Wales are having a holiday in November that they are calling thanksgiving break!!!

It seems they are aiming to take over everything, and many here, especially the youth think America is so cool, and so embrace the arriving influences..

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many members are from each country? Maybe somebody could compile a graph? I would but I don't have access to that info.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Full_Vision
reply to post by Haydn_17

I do agree that ATS is very American oriented lately. the problem is they sort of over power other topics overall.. But it isnt just here at ATS its happening..
i moved to the UK for the first time about 10 years ago, very little American influence here at that time.. then we moved back to the states for about 3 years before returning to the UK.. my partner and i were stunned at the changes here in those 3 years.. the, and i hate using the term, but it fits- Americanization of this country and a number of others was really quite un nerving.. Hell the schools here in Wales are having a holiday in November that they are calling thanksgiving break!!!

It seems they are aiming to take over everything, and many here, especially the youth think America is so cool, and so embrace the arriving influences..

I've made similar points on various ATS threads during my time here. I don't think Americans actually fully understand why many of non-Americans are actually building-up resentment to what is, and there's no other word for it, Imperialism.

And to pre-empt the inevitable, this take-over is not down to any perception that America is necessarily 'better' - despite the general feeling that seems to emit from most Americans that everything America does and creates is, somehow, better - it's more down to the fact that American culture represents something similar but different enough to be 'exotic' and by extension has a glamour. Also, if it not that, then the sheer size and money that a lot of American firms have to hand mean that often American influence can 'bludgeon' its way in.

Whilst not everyone will agree with these next points, I also think that much of these cultural influences are the influences that are #ing up our society: rampant materialism, trashy disposable culture, oversized vehicles on tiny British roads, homogenised high streets, 'mall culture', gun crime, language...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

they're not exactly forcing their culture and language down peoples throats at the point of a bayonet. (unlike some other empires i can think of
)

european culture is fairly difficult to access and it's up it's own backside in a lot of ways, american "culture" is easy to pick up on and plug into, it's not exactly shocking that people gravitate towards it.

i feel that the reason a lot of conspiracy theories are a bit american centric is because europeans seem way more comfortable with the fact that our politicians are scum. one poster will say "OMG, the EU are taking over" and two or three people will say "looks like it, oh well, thanks for the heads up" and that's about it.

[edit on 20/10/09 by pieman]

[edit on 20/10/09 by pieman]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I can say for a fact that there is some good "non-American" stuff out there.

The problem really is two-fold:

IF ATS should have more "non-American" threads of any kind, the original source would most probably still be an English speaking (writing) one
Because...

Many articles that could actually spark some interest in the form of a thread on ATS aren't written in English so the poster will have to deal with translating... translating is not the only thing however, as grammar is actually harder than translation (for me personally).

This somewhat huge task might put off a lot of posters, sadly.

So, if I should find interesting articles about (incidents in) Denmark chances are that not many are actually written in English.

Personally I'd still try to translate to the best of my knowledge (once I reach 20 posts) but another problem that could arise is that I and my source(s) probably will not be widely "accepted" as reliable, as most people will not be able to read the hard facts for themselves.

You would actually have to take my word for it, that the article is real and I have translated it well.

EDIT:
For the record, this reply took me about 15 minutes to write.
I have to look words up, I have to double check grammar and I also have to write in such a way that I seem somewhat "intelligent" (whatever that is)

It's hard work, but it's a great experience and learning process

[edit on 20/10/09 by Curious Sceptic]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
All very sad, especially considering Above Top Secret was started by an Englishman.

I guess the stories one finds on ATS particularly appeal to the gullible.

Who would that be then?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I have two points I wanna make. Is that one, I love to hear stuff about other countries. So if you have it, post it.

Two: American's are drama queens. Everything is so much worse for them. Everything is just horrific. DRAMA QUEENS.

I was having a conversation once and a person DARED to try to compare Katrina to the Tsunami. I quickly put them in their place.

Guess that is what happens to a bored nation.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

And I think you of other countries don't post so you can make trolling comments about Americans. It's your way of saying "See how those Americans are?"

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

And I think you of other countries don't post so you can make trolling comments about Americans. It's your way of saying "See how those Americans are?"

See thats either more trolling that you speak of or a great example of the attitude that is fueling the anti-american attitude. I read it and said to myself, "that's such an American thing to say",

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

See thats either more trolling that you speak of or a great example of the attitude that is fueling the anti-american attitude. I read it and said to myself, "that's such an American thing to say",

fixed.

I read it and said to myself, "that's such an American thing for yall to say"

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by manxman2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is absolutely beautiful. Still takes a back seat to the guy I seen at the gym this morning arguing with the mirror and making agressive advances towards it.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Is it just me or is ATS most of the time only interested in American things, such as UFO/ET disclosure in America, although most countries admit aliens exist it only matter if America does it, global meltdown is only for Americans, NWO is just for americans despite its a New WORLD Order.

Heck, if someone... you or anyone wants to post stuff relating to other countries, please feel free. Speaking for myself, I have no problems with that. The more the merrier.

But that being said, I am not going to get sweaty palms for posting about issues I know and like. If they happen to be based in the US, then that's just life.

Such nationalist bigotry seems entirely counterproductive.

I have to agree with the OP, most ATS's members and staff focusses WAAAAYYYY too much on the USA. Europe is for them some third world nation.
I know that the same policies and agenda is being fulfilled world wide.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Dude, I speak to Americans on the phone allllll day, i'm in Canada and sometimes they are suprised we have electricity and running water. Some even think we are in igloos, IGLOOS!!!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Its really hard to ignore the 800lb gorilla in the room (the USA). Its hard to ignore the famous Hollywood celebrity in the room (the USA). Its hard to ignore that guy in the room with the roll of $$$$ in his hand smoking the big cigar (the USA). Its hard to ignore that desheveled, drunken bum in the room (the USA). Its hard to ignore that dimwitted nincompoop in the room brandishing that AK47 (the USA).

This could go on all day. I am not sure if its a matter of we can't take our eyes off them or we shoudn't.

At any rate, until China or India become as amusing, startling, or scary, all eyes are on the US.

[edit on 10/20/2009 by wayno]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Well if posting on a conspirecy website makes one gullible, and apparently that's a bad thing... That would seem to apply to all of us regardless of nationality, would it not?

Americans are no more, or no less, gullible than anyone else...but I suppose y'all can believe what you want, regardless of the truth, or untruth of the matter.

Oh, wait...was that a black helicopter? OMG!!!!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Igloos ???? Bet u also wear red uniforms and have a moose parked in the garage! That made me laugh, Nice one....

My Observation on this topic is that Yes there are loads of insular American gungo ho, were better than you types on here, But thankfully there are more willing to listen and contribute "Americans" here..

Were all the same really deep down we should be fighting together against the common enemy!! NO, not the Judean Peoples Front or is that the popular front?

But the Ignorant !

Regards
Git

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join