It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Age "One" Belief = Spiritual Borg?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
MY quote

I sometimes wish I could go back in time and see, and experience, total innocence.

But then would I know I was experiencing innocence?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

It total innocense means more or less non-existance I would say not?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

...to expand on that idea...lets take an infinite context. And then you ask: "Where am I?"...but in an infinite context that question is invalid because there is no "where" except in relation to something else. Same thing with "Where am I from?" as there is no absolute and definite "from-ness" in an infinite context. Same goes for any space, time, causality, identity...and therefore any knowledge whatsoever.

Actually "getting" this not as a verbal explanation but as an experience is one of the most hilarious things ever.

People walk around saying "Socrates said "I know that I know nothing" blablablabla"...but its said without really knowing what it means...

The Ego uses this stuff to sound smart. To sound superiour to others. To be a Borg. But there is a reality to it...behind the mere slogan.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Hello Storm.

I rather enjoy the lessons in being that I am learning now. Even though here and now can suck it's really the only place I wish to be.

Yea, every experiences makes us who we are, but always be ready to grow,

The "journey" is the key.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There are probably millions of people repeating stuff they heard or read without actually knowing what it means, or thinking they know what it means without having experienced it. I bet 99% of what is written on ATS is not based on personal experience.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

People walk around saying "Socrates said "I know that I know nothing" blablablabla"...but its said without really knowing what it means...

HI sky

Yes,I know that I know nothing, and how did I come to that conclusion,

I studied and searched, meditated and prayed, I found it exhilarating at times, at times frightening, but in the end,

I felt it was not enough, it was never enough,

You come full circle.

You want to think you have found an answer, but the realty is, it is all a great mystery.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
There are earthlings who mistake One-ness of the spiritual kind with physical "one-ness". These people are commonly referred to as Communists...

LOL! I know I grilled you once when I simply posed the question of why give if you expect noone to be there to take. Physical oneness simply means there is a low resistance to flow from areas of overabundance to areas of deficiency. The individual is not diminished. I suppose in a way this very message board has those properties.

What the OP expressed in the quote is a conflation. It's Truimph of the Will which denies the will of the individual in order that he or she surrender to collective will. The author may have a deeply rooted fear of collectivism and cannot free himself to see beyond where "oneness" triggers overlearned associations.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Take it to the inifinite context. That is the problem is it not? We are by our current nature a finite creature. We are in no position to understand infinity and it's nature than an ant is in a position to contemplate quantum physics. And I understand what Socrates means thank you very much
, though I may do the "Socrates blah blah blah thing" as well. I would also argue that I am not smart. Considering I am just as limited and subject to the same flaws as everyone else.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
You want to think you have found an answer, but the realty is, it is all a great mystery.

Thats nice as an intellectual realization. Imo there is a perceptual state / experience to go with that as well though...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

There are probably millions of people repeating stuff they heard or read without actually knowing what it means, or thinking they know what it means without having experienced it. I bet 99% of what is written on ATS is not based on personal experience.

There is no doubt about that, the subtle influences in our lives,

I remember reading some of the great philosophers, and I found some of their thoughts in my own writings,

I wondered how I could have thought the same thought.

I most likely heard it at some place in time, perhaps,

[edit on 033131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

We are...a finite creature.

Speak for yourself...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

experience

Yes, Yes, I have had metaphysical experiences, yet I cannot explain them.

Sorry I am so slow my spacer bar aint working , lol

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Hmmm...I´ll leave that up to the OP to discuss with you...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I've experience some interesting things, another just the other day in fact, and you know what? It all doesn't really mean squat. In an infinite context of infinitude it amounts to insignifiance. The only value it has is relative to my own limitations.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

When you take into account that we all believe what we do because our perceptions *admittingly bend or slanted by existing beliefs* tells us that we are correct. Most people can and do claim primacy and have nothing but denigration for others who disagree and claim their own perception as the only possible correct one. I do not and cannot. Smacks to me of hubris....

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Why does that not make sense to even me!??!?!?!?
Hope you get the idea.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

reply to post by EnlightenUp

Hmmm...I´ll leave that up to the OP to discuss with you...

I am not ashamed to say some stuff goes right over my head,

It is like not getting the punch line,I guess.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Oh that body that houses you will eventual die. And I think there is a reason there is a rather large amount of confusion as to the existance of a afterlife. It's still a great black unknown. We both strongly BELIEVE there is something beyond it. But how can we ever be truly sure?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

We are...a finite creature.

Speak for yourself...

Ha. Well, in the biological realm you wouldn't consider that limited and finite? On "the other side" I would hardly identify with the term "creature". "Entity" perhaps but without all biomorphic connotations.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

But how can we ever be truly sure?

There are some things you can be 100% certain of, things that are not subject to what one believes or does not believe.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join