It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists claim black people less intelligent than whites in Channel 4 show

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Wow, I thought we were beyond this.

Scientist s claim black people less intelligent than whites in Channel 4 show

Campaigners have criticised Channel 4 over plans to screen a controversial documentary in which scientists claim ethnic minorities are less intelligent than their white counterparts.

I just cannot believe that the Channel that was responsible for the Big Brother racism scandal, could think it a good idea to air this show.

In the documentary Psychology professor Richard Lynn from the University of Ulster will say there is a global "league table", using evidence from IQ tests, to claim that intelligence is linked to race, with north-east Asians in the top tier and Australian aborigines at the bottom. He says on the programme that African IQs “don’t rise up to the same level as Europeans”.

British born psychology professor J Philippe Rushton is also interviewed on the programme.

He claims the differences between black and white and East Asian brains is due to general intelligence.

He believes that while women have smaller brain sizes as men, they are just as intelligent as men, but that black people have smaller brain sizes than white people but are not as intelligent as white people.

Can you believe they are showing this to mark Black History Month.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I don't see the problem. If it's a scientifically proven fact that blacks are genetically less intelligent, then I think it's time for people to accept that.

But I think they need to include the fact that blacks are physically superior genetically. Or whatever other possible strengths they have. So they might not be too smart but what white man can go toe-to-toe with Michael Jordan.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by ItIsWhatItIs]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
And people truely believing this shows me its not true. I suppose you are not familiar with real world history not the western version.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Is this based solely off of IQ tests? Disparity on standard tests has always been an issue and something to account for in all findings, generalized or not.

KEY FINDINGS The results of Fagan and Holland’s work provide evidence that observed racial differences in IQ scores are attributable to unequal opportunity for the acquisition of the type of information leading to the knowledge which IQ tests measure. These findings suggest that equal opportunity for exposure to information may eliminate disparities in IQ scores. Specifically, the study showed that, given equal opportunity to learn the information on which they were subsequently tested, African American and White American students performed equally well on assessments. For example, in a test of word knowledge reflective of a standard IQ test, White students outperformed African American students by 18 points. However, there was no significant difference between the students in their processing abilities.

White and African American students were also tested for their understanding of sayings, analogies and similarities. When tested on sayings which required specific prior knowledge, White students averaged 65% correct, while African American students scored 48% correct. However, the results were quite different when equal opportunity to learn the information was available. For sayings that required only general knowledge, White students scored 72% while African American students scored 80% correct. The authors also showed that individual differences in specific comprehension were significantly related to individual differences in general comprehension, demonstrating that the two constructs are related.

Test Bias in Measures of Intelligence Drs. Fagan and Holland also found evidence for test bias in the assessment of understanding sayings, analogies, and similarities based on specific information. This was tested by comparing two samples of White and African American students with equivalent scores on the tests of sayings, analogies and similarities based on specific knowledge. Although these groups had the same score on measures of specific knowledge, the African American students had significantly higher scores than White students on the measures of general knowledge. This indicates that the test for specific knowledge is biased against African American students and provides evidence for bias in intelligence tests based on knowledge of sayings, analogies and similarities.

Evidence against Genetic Explanations for Differences in IQ Scores An important theoretical and practical finding of this work is that racial differences in IQ scores should not be attributed to genetic differences between races. The research results support the hypothesis that traditional IQ tests measure both intellectual ability and exposure to socially valued information.

Addressing Racial Differences in IQ Testing

Ed: to fix link

[edit on 15-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed an increase in studies on IQ tests lately?

'Studies reveal whites are more intelligent than blacks.'

'Studies reveal atheists are more intelligent than theists.'

'Studies reveal [political affiliation] is more intelligent than [political affiliation.' (I've seen both sides for this one).

'Studies reveal males have higher IQ's than females.'

I'm all for examining the human condition and discovering new things even if the answer may be hard to handle. But all these divisive IQ studies of Group A vs. Group B seem to be on the rise.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
These kinds of generalisations don't really mean that much, even if - and that's if - there's any basis to them. Does this mean that all white people are more "intelligent" than all black people? Knowing some of the black people I met at university and some of the white people I meet on a daily basis, I very much doubt it. Let's face it, you can get thick t***s in every colour under the sun.

The same goes for all supposedly positive stereotypes about black people too. Are all black people better than all white people at sports such as running, basketball and so on? No, of course not. Which means, even if this is the case, that blacks are supposedly less intelligent than white and so on, then it doesn't really get us anywhere anyway.

To be honest, anyone who doesn't judge a person, whatever their colour, on their individual merits is a retard anyway.

EDIT: I had to manually censor a word as a very common English swear word doesn't seem to be censored!

[edit on 15-10-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Has anyone else noticed an increase in studies on IQ tests lately?

'Studies reveal whites are more intelligent than blacks.'

'Studies reveal atheists are more intelligent than theists.'

'Studies reveal [political affiliation] is more intelligent than [political affiliation.' (I've seen both sides for this one).

'Studies reveal males have higher IQ's than females.'

I'm all for examining the human condition and discovering new things even if the answer may be hard to handle. But all these divisive IQ studies of Group A vs. Group B seem to be on the rise.

Yep, I agree. I suppose the people funding these studies have motives and points they want to make.

I'm also amazed at the poor judgement on behalf of the TV channel. What are they thinking?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
And if it is true, should the truth be hidden or concealed for the sake of political correctness?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

from your link Oona King, Channel 4's head of diversity and former Labour MP, said the programme shows conclusively "that you cannot link race to IQ".

the program is called "race, sciences last taboo".

it's a program about the science and race. they air controversial views. so what? stop being so hysterical.

out of curiosity, if i said "white people are more susceptible to sunburn than black people", would you also have an issue?

[edit on 15/10/09 by pieman]

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Amazing how race baiting works.

The article clearly states that Asians are the smartest. Smarter than whites or blacks.

YET you totally ignore that, why?

In contrast, you simply make this a White vs Black thing. How typical.

Well, "Are Asians on AVERAGE smarter than whites or blacks?"

Whats your assessment?

My personal scientific assessment is that all races are generally equal in intelligence capability , being we are all Homo Sapiens!

Suggesting that "Africans have smaller brain mass than Europeans or Asians" is also suggesting that they are a different species of mammal, which I find terribly misguided.

Therefore, if you are a Homo Sapiens, you share the equal potential for intelligence as do ALL others of your species.

And last time I checked, Asians Africans and Europeans were all Homo Sapiens.

Are we the same species or not?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Also I would like to add this is pointless research because we all know that humans are idiots. *Me too - at least I'm honest*

Now this is a fact we can work with.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

If it is a proven scientific fact, then you cannot scream "racism".

BUT...

I would be interested to see if there is a standardised means of testing.
If this conclusion is compiled from the results of various stages of research in various nations whose testing is different, the result is completely invalid.

Any scientist who claims this not to be the case is not looking objectively at the research, and in that case you can claim that the scientist is basing his opinion on a racist attitude.

You'd also have to take into account access to education, and the recognised standard of that education. For example, it is fair to assume that Aboriginal Australian kids would have less access to decent education than their white counterparts. Even if this education is state run and standardised, the teaching for both would inevitably be different due to existing intelligence of those teaching.
Therefore, the results of such research would have to take that into account too.

The way I see it, there is far too much to have to consider to enable an accurate assessment of intelligence by race.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Er, I've got errands to run, but Your 1000% correct about the divisive issues being on the rise.

I fully believe it is on purpose to create the paradigms that the Elite thrive in; which is division, and chaos. With these two principalities they can control the masses.

The amount of articles that are "eluding" to a brewing race war are becoming common place. It is on purpose, and it is psychological warfare.

We all need to remember the little phrase that lumps us all together, and it is the absolute truth,"We The People".

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

from your link Oona King, Channel 4's head of diversity and former Labour MP, said the programme shows conclusively "that you cannot link race to IQ".

the program is called "race, sciences last taboo".

it's a program about the science and race. they air controversial views. so what? stop being so hysterical.

out of curiosity, if i said "white people are more susceptible to sunburn than black people", would you also have an issue?

[edit on 15/10/09 by pieman]

Exactly, you cannot link race to IQ, so why give this guy a platform to say something that isn't scientifically sound.

And who's being hysterical?

Hands down one of the dumbest comparisons I have ever seen on ATS.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItIsWhatItIs

I don't see the problem. If it's a scientifically proven fact that blacks are genetically less intelligent, then I think it's time for people to accept that.

But I think they need to include the fact that blacks are physically superior genetically. Or whatever other possible strengths they have. So they might not be too smart but what white man can go toe-to-toe with Michael Jordan.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by ItIsWhatItIs]

yes agreed

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Thanks for the link. *yawn* as a black dude, i'm used to having society from somewhere, mostly here and Europe, come out with some kind of conclusive test that tells us that europeans people are smarter than africans, and that asians are smarter than both. I find it hilarious that the lengths some people will go to to prove their particular ethnic groups is superior to others, it's quite funny.

Heh, i wonder what kind of posts are gonna pop up now. S&F i'm going to see what folks have to say.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Ok you guys are very misinformed.

Black people are not physically superior to white people. This is a myth perpetuated by sports on TV, however if you watch the Olympics you will see whites/asians/blacks at a NECK to NECK competition athletically.

Saying Blacks are more athletic, or that whites are better at counting money, or that asians are better researchers is completely unfounded and ignorant.

Your playing favorites and ignoring the VAST amount of evidence that disproves your assessment.

Either you think we are all Homo Sapiens or you do not. There is no middle ground.

And by the way, black people get sunburns all the time too. Just ask them.

And please think about things Critically before you spew prejudice and ignorance around here. Cuz people like me will shoot you down.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join