It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Oddball Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The first question. Whenever I right click on my desktop the computer tries to install Adobe Reader 8. How do I stop this from happening? (What a bizarre manifestation!)

The second question: This is for the niche group in the computing community who are willing to try almost anything with their toys.

I have a laptop that does not burn DVDs, but which is my highest horsepower computer. I took my LG GSA-H55N DVD-RW out of one of my desktop computers, hooked it up to the business end of a USB external hard drive enclosure, hooked that mongrel up to the USB port of the laptop and switched it on.

The LG DVD-RW can read and play DVDs but when I try to burn something with my burning program, Deep Burner, that program sees the DVD as a CD and gives me a dialogue box saying that the media in the drive is not writeable.

Suggestions, thoughts, solutions would be appreciated.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Oh, I second the adobe question..tick me off to no end.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

What a bizarre thing! I'm wondering if it is a corruption of the desktop wallpaper. I should try to change the wallpaper and see what happens.

Edit: To add, I changed the wallpaper and now when I right click the Adobe 8 installation doesn't start. So simple. I guess it helps to type out the problem.

Still need help with question 2 though.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Turns out I made a klassic klutz mistake when trying to burn with my "external" DVD writer. I forgot to select it in DeepBurner as the operative burner on the laptop. Oh well, the main idea was a good one.

It is working through the external hard drive enclosure. Yippee!!

It turns out I still have issues with question one though. Right clicking the desktop is no problem but now when I right click inside folders I sometimes get the attempt to install Adobe reader 8. It looks like I have more work to do.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I think it could be something with the menus you get when you right click. The context menu to be exact.

I would start with removing the Adobe 8 program. I have a feeling it will fail when you do though and if it does, Download a program from Microsoft called "windows installer clean up tool" Run it and then you can kill the adobe 8. To check the Context Menu, Use a program called Glary Utilities to clean it up.

It could be a rare video driver issue and a Driver update could fix it.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Also make sure in system>hardware devices, that the IDE port is set to UDMA and not PIO which will cause major slowdowns and possibly no good burns at all..

Bud316

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
There were a couple of viruses we had a few weeks ago, which would run Adobe reader, so it might be worth checking your pc for viruses.

Might not be the case, but that's what we had. It would just start up. When i checked what applications were running,there was something that i didn't recognise and it did, indeed,turn out to be a virus.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Use Malawarebytes and Iobit advanced windows cleaner. These will help you. Best bet is to run from SAFE mode.

Bud316

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I haven't been on BTS for a while so I didn't see the later posts. Thanks for responding. I will follow up on your suggestions.

top topics

join