It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Above Top Secret the Magazine?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
No problem its praise well deserved, your threads are very concise, clear and not condescending.

My Interest lies with consciousness, modern psychology, culture and Theology. Although I have not yet received any formal qualification in either I try to keep well read and try to study small social experiments and observe what I can.

Peace

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
As the astute member "resinveins" pointed out magazines are losing money almost universally... Newspapers are going to pure digital delivery because the costs to print, collate and deliver them are greater than the revenue they can generate.

Finally, when you think about it, how many would pay for the content they access for FREE here? A certain number for sure, but not nearly enough to bring the numbers where they would have to be for it to pay for itself.

For those who want to share the content from ATS with others who don't do the net or those who just won't log onto ATS, there is always the option of using a printer.

We considered this years ago, looked into it seriously and after running the numbers realized it's a no win situation. Since then the numbers have gotten worse.

Springer...

[edit on 8-22-2009 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks, I thought you had pointed out the reasons against before. Its true sad fact, I miss magazines for reasons stated earlier.

So I could either become a publisher with lots of cash or as you rightly suggested hit the print button.

Peace

[edit on 22/8/2009 by LestatG]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

If you would put pictures of cute women without any clothes on combined with conspiracies with a sexual twist.

Sarah Palin fold out..........

whoa!!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
SCOOBY!
WHAT A FAB IDEA!
(oops cap lock)!

Regardless what people say I live in a society where magazines rule and rock.

(Anyone even seen a beach without people reading magazines? Not I.)

*Tosses Scooby a 13 layer submarine sandwich with pickles peanut butter salami sardines and ...*

Well anyway - what a GREAT idea!

[edit on 22-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I think we found the twist needed to get this going.

Inbetween the bosom of the buxom babes, the next conspiracy unfolds.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
reply to post by Republican08

Is that how you judge the quality of your life? By comparing what you have to what the "pothead hippies" have? They have a magazine and you want yours too?

Seriously... what brought that on? Your wife run off with a "pothead hippie"? Or are you just lashing out for no reason?

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Resinveins]

lol, what?

It wasn't suppose to be an insult... I guess.

I just always thought that, when I go to a store, and see High Times... I just wonder to myself, how is this even allowed, then I read a little laugh, and check out the Time magazines.

I guess I could've said like like The National Enquirer.

And no, I don't compare my life too.. hippies. lol

Just thought it'd be a cool idea.

Maybe, if Obama shuts down the internet with his great button. We can all still get our fix

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
i was actually just thinking about this idea.

i can understand the owner's concerns with little (or even negative) revenue, but i still think that this could be a totally feasible idea.

the greatest thing about this site is the nature of community inherent within such a diverse group.
i am sure that we could find all of the necessary skills and resources to make this happen within our very own ranks--people that would even do this as a hobby (after all, a great portions of us delves into the subjects presented here on a daily basis, doing hours of research for the simple pleasure of working out a problem and sharing our answers with other people who are eager to listen)

the printing costs of a monthly or even weekly periodical could potentially be taken care of with advertising.
every semi-major city in the u.s. has some weekly publication that survives entirely off of advertising revenue.
we've got the added bonus of having scores of writers that would be more than happy to work without any promise of financial compensation.

this isn't a periodical that would make anyone rich, or even financially-stable. but if people are genuinely interested in making something happen without the need to turn a profit, then it seems to be completely possible.

and a damned good way to get more information out to the masses.

Even if we did something as simple as, say, putting together a digital version of such a magazine--something that members the world around can print out, staple together, and leave in stacks at their local coffee shop or book store.

of course, it could be argued that a person could individually print out articles of interest on his/her own, but this would lack the cohesiveness and order of what a dedicated group of individuals could do with a common goal in mind.

actually, i have an idea for this that i'm going to draw up.
i'll be back with a blueprint

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
my magazine cover proposition

going with the idea of having a semi-dedicated team of editors working on a weekly (or whatever) print-your-own magazine, i've made this sample cover of what it could look like.
actually, this could be lightened up a lot in order to help take the load off of people's poor printers, but i was going along with the ats color theme at the time

any way, the proposed idea is something that pretty much anyone with a decent printer would be able to print out and put together if they felt like helping to spread some alternative news.

a layout would have to be drawn out for the editors, but basically the idea is that the pages are printed on 8.5x11 in. paper, sideways, so that there are two pages per leaf. the cover i've included is therefore the front and back. the first page inside would also be the last page. the second would also be the second to last, etc. i figured 12 pages altogether which, taking away the front and back covers, would leave 22 printable faces with which to work.

then just stack them all together in the appropriate manner, fold in half, staple, and trim off the excess if you want them to be pretty. start throwing them at people.

of course, our wonderful team of semi-dedicated editors could take the time to go through the stories and correct spelling and grammar mistakes in order to give the magazine an authentic tone...
umm...what else?
oh yeah, i figured that the cover could be color (or black and white if you really can't stand to use your color ink) but there's really no reason why the rest has to be anything other than plain-old newspaper style printing.

i guess that's about it.
of course, this all depends on people's interest in the idea. so, please, speak up if you'd be willing to print and distribute a few of these copies locally. i'd be more than happy to work on the project whenever i have time--i could work on both layout and general editing, but i definitely would need some help....a lot of help.

so it all depends on you, ats'ers.
and, of course, i'd imagine that a blessing from the site owners would be in order as well.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathan_Orin

While I certainly don't want to be a curmudgeon, we can't allow the use of our trademarked logo and brand like this. It's not because we don't like the idea, it's because if we allow one we have to allow all.

If we allow this to happen then we have set a precedent that allows anyone else to infringe on our trademark.

Imagine what someone who desires to ridicule these topics could do with a magazine that carries our logo and branding?

We are working on several ideas that, depending on the new Apple iPad, may be fruitful. We will likely be reaching out to the membership for involvement, so there will be opportunities there, if these concepts prove to be worthwhile.

In the mean time we have to ask that you please do not use the cover with our logo or any of our branding.

If you want to print threads out to share with friends in a non commercial manner that's fine though.

Springer...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

... or...

Save a tree, email a link. You can reach a lot more people a whole lot quicker that way. Plus, you can be selective and "invite" those you feel would be most interested and have something to contribute.

I encourage anyone to shoot a link to a thread you like to whomever in your address book might find it interesting.

"Print is dead."
~Egon Spengler, et al

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

The "print" suggestion was for those who said they have friends/relatives who don't have the net.

Springer...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I must've missed that part. In an ever desperate struggle to appear relevant, I could also suggest in the meantime the Book of Threads which has some pdf files suitable for printing and distributing.

[edit on 2/9/2010 by yeahright]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Magazine, its 2010! how about an iPhone app!!! Been wanting one forever

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
To hell with a magazine, I say ATS should start a Cable News show, comparable to Fox, MSNBC, and CNN. It would be very refreshing to hear the real news, instead of the talking heads telling us what they were told to say by TPTB. How about it ATS? Are you up for it?

[edit on 9-2-2010 by autowrench]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

You mean like this? media.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

So what about an iPhone app then??

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Is ATS News still going on? I haven't seen any links to new episodes?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join