It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media blames UFO as Big Lake Dissapears Overnight in Chile

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by Sam60

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Isolated glacial lake. Ice dam broke and water drained. Not exactly rare either. Happens here now and again. No people around to see it since its in the middle of a glacier field. The earthquake sounds like a reasonable cause for an ice dam to break. I thought US media was bad.

I think you should get your facts straight.

It was a UFO.

It happens all the time.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Sam60]

Exactly - I mean, they need water to make Fosters beer, and we all know that unearthly swill is not made by anyone with a strand of human decency in them.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2ca1e16319e.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers mate

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by platoslab

What I'm getting at is this...

Our explanation of their method of travel is based on our available knowledge. These are theories (gravity, etc.) that have only been realized last week in the grand spectrum of things. If they are traveling from other star systems, we cannot even fathom the distance. How can anyone speculate as to their technology? I support and respect all theories, but I can't agree with those who claim there is solid evidence based on witness testimony, or photo, video, etc. People exaggerate, people have different opinions and observations, and sadly some people lie.

"...scientists sometimes judge alien technology on the basis of what we can do. Not on the basis of what a type-3 civilization, millions of years more advanced than ours can do." - Dr. Michio Kaku

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotDogNoBun
I would say there is a natural reason for this and what we have is the usual thing where a bunch of uneducated people attribute something to UFO's simply because they are unable to understand it.

Only ignorant, hateful people accuse others of being uneducated because they claim to witness something that most cannot believe in.

You need help, mixed with some kindness and understanding.
That is a lot of hatred you are spewing, all rolled up in a calm, supposedly educated demeanor.

Lots of UFO bases are purportedly located in lakes around the world, and who knows, it could be a secret government action seen as a Unidentified Flying Object. I think it is you who needs an education before you go around calling these people names.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by GideonHM]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Maybe they're transporting the water to another planet. Or, maybe it's being transported to another place on earth? This could help alter the precipitation around the planet, to avoid an event that could be disastrous? Let's wait and see if the lake is refilled.

Also, it could be a government thing, or at least a terrestrial-organization's action. After all, UFO, we should all know by now, means a flying object which is unidentified. I don't see a reason to doubt local witness reports, as much as I don't see a reason to interpret them as being description of E.T. aircraft.

Peace, love and light

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I would say there is a natural reason for this and what we have is the usual thing where a bunch of uneducated people attribute something to UFO's simply because they are unable to understand it.

Ok, so please give us an educated natural explanation as to how this lake disappeared over night or in one day for that matter.

Peace!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

This is some of the purest water in the world. They didnt just take some old polluted H20, they took the best this world has to offer.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

Is this the same lake that "disappeared" in June of 2007?
Or is this the same incident, even?

My guess would be it was an intermittent lake of some sort. They usually "disappear" and reappear in shorter intrvals, but who knows...

But UFOs?

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Armour For Victor

Ok, so please give us an educated natural explanation as to how this lake disappeared over night or in one day for that matter.

Intermittent lakes, of which there are several around the world, can disappear in much less than a day or a night. True, they also reappear, but in this case the interval might be much longer, for some reason, probably to do with the topography.
I am not stating it *is* an intermittent lake, but I can see no other explanation for it. At least it is an educated natural explanation...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

Ok so the question now is, where are the drains where the water might have drained from? Using your intermittent theory, most lakes that vanish are normally due to a shift in the soil which cause holes where the water will drain out through. I guess making statements that are deemed unnessecary or rude tend to tick people off. Anyways, this I would assume is a possible explanation. By the way I don't think it was taken by aliens.

Peace!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Armour For Victor

As it looks like it *was* the incident from June 2007 (Google couldn't find me any other, more recent cases), I'll use the explanation proposed by geologists in this short article.
Think of a "plug" in a bathtub. If an earthquake occurs, it could conceivably shift the "plug" making the water disappear underground.

I'll be posting a short excerpt on "weird" lakes shortly.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

I am posting this excerpt from a lay text about disappearing lakes because I think it could be useful to many people.
AND it is from "Crystalinks", a website that has never been accused of being too positivist, so...

It seems a lake in Russia vanished in *minutes* back in 2005!

How Lakes Disappear

A lake may be infilled with deposited sediment and gradually become a wetland such as a swamp or marsh. Large water plants, typically reeds, accelerate this closing process significantly because they partially decompose to form peat soils that fill the shallows. Conversely, peat soils in a marsh can naturally burn and reverse this process to recreate a shallow lake.

Turbid lakes and lakes with many plant-eating fish tend to disappear more slowly. A "disappearing" lake (barely noticeable on a human timescale) typically has extensive plant mats at the water's edge. These become a new habitat for other plants, like peat moss when conditions are right, and animals, many of which are very rare. Gradually the lake closes, and young peat may form, forming a fen. In lowland river valleys, where a river can meander, the presence of peat is explained by the infilling of historical oxbow lakes. In the very last stages of succession, trees can grow in, eventually turning the wetland into a forest.

Some lakes can disappear seasonally. These are called intermittent lakes and are typically found in karstic terrain. A prime example of an intermittent lake is Lake Cerknica in Slovenia. Sometimes a lake will disappear quickly. On 3 June 2005, in Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, Russia, a lake called Lake Beloye vanished in a matter of minutes. News sources reported that government officials theorized that this strange phenomenon may have been caused by a shift in the soil underneath the lake that allowed its water to drain through channels leading to the Oka River.

The presence of ground permafrost is important to the persistence of some lakes. According to research published in the journal Science ("Disappearing Arctic Lakes," June 2005), thawing permafrost may explain the shrinking or disappearance of hundreds of large Arctic lakes across western Siberia. The idea here is that rising air and soil temperatures thaw permafrost, allowing the lakes to drain away into the ground.

Neusiedler See, located in Austria and Hungary, has dried up many times over the millennia. As of 2005, it is again rapidly losing water, giving rise to the fear that it will be completely dry by 2010.

Some lakes disappear because of human development factors. The shrinking Aral Sea is described as being "murdered" by the diversion for irrigation of the rivers feeding it.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical_Seeker

Sorry, I didn't notice this post before. Anyway, I am glad this is now sorted out. So this definitely *is* the June 2007 incident, as I thought. And it probably did result from an earthquake shifting the "plug" in the sinkhole.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
There's something fishy about this whole story. First, it was initially reported two years ago, and even 'solved' back in 2007. But then suddenly in 2009 there's another story about the event, and instead of the water disappearing sometime between March and May, it disappeared 'overnight' with witnesses that report UFOs. In the first reports, this lake was very remote, enough so that people aren't around it, which is why that no one knew about the water being gone for months, and yet, in the second report, there just happen to be witnesses that also see UFOs.

Just seems contrived to me, as if someone took the initial story and 'fluffed' it up.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

There is no second story. I think the OP was confused by the YouTube clip which did appear recently, but that clip is simply rehashing the old 2007 story.

Anyway, here is another really good article about it. It mentions several different theories.

Disappearing lake confuses geologists

But after a month here I am starting to suspect that not many like to hear the truth if it doesn't involve water-sucking extraterrestrials and UFOs. Sad...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloakndagger
Earth is covered in water. We automatically become a target to those seeking it from other worlds. We have a big bulls eye on us and it's called water. This could be possible because we know very little. We just think we know everything.

ha ha quote of the year.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Could be some alien thiefs or helpers gathering some very clean aquatic animal free water for your *travel*who knows but it looks ERIE TO ME TO SEE ALL THAT CLEAN WATER GONE. @ least they left the icebergs this shows that whatever happened only flowing water was moved not frozen.

[edit on 8/17/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

It happens all the time, it's been happening for thousands of years. It's a perfectly natural phenomenon. Why is that so difficult to accept?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It was a UFO. I was at the lake just smoking a bowl and it floated right in and then "energized" itself. Once I yelled at them for jacking all the water they gave me some more herb and told me to shut the f*** up and be happy with what they gave me. I told them I wanted to drive their craft and they ignored me and took off. I'm pissed because I've always wanted to fly a UFO. Maybe they'll start making cars better... At least I got my new fresh goodness from the awesome stoners =)

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Deep Thoughts

it's a conservation effort. sort of keeping a record of life on planet earth before everything goes to hell.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by reptilianslayer
i read in a book before a while back about a ufo draining a lake in africa
and a reason why they would suck up the lake could possibly be drain us what we take for granted being are water you take away are drinking water we die or it could be there way of waging war with us

I doubt a single lake can have a significant effect on any human populations. Also, your premise is that the Aliens have the technical capability of quickly and safely traveling between planets light years away, but they are incapable of efficiently desalinating ocean water? If they have mastered Fusion to that extent, couldn't they just make water out of hydrogen and oxygen?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join