It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media blames UFO as Big Lake Dissapears Overnight in Chile

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

Thanks for posting the video, L.HAMILTON.

I'm thinking you are simply "throwing the issue out there" for general comment.

In that case, I suggest if people in the media are blaming UFO's (i.e. extraterrestrials) for this, then those particular people in the media are knowingly perpetrating a hoax.

I conclude this for 2 reasons:

1. There is absolutley no evidence to support this claim

2. They know it will sell a few more newspapers & magazines & get a few more hits on their websites, all of which will please their advertisers.

All in all, this is another dim day for people who would like to see this "UFO" issue taken seriously.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
For water displacement you need to put something in its place to shift that amount of mass.

1. It would register on seismographs something of that mangitude happening at one, wether as a harmonic event or a anomalous reading occuring for some time out of background readings.
4. Even if a Fissure had opened up you'd expect to see evidence of this on the lakebed. Plus seismographs would have also registered activity.

Originally posted by ROBL240
The problem with that is they knew it was a sinkhole as they tested the waters depth using Sonar, and within the hour almost, knew it was a sinkhole.
With the Lake in Chile theres still Sedimential Lakebed and no Fissure cracks or seismic evidence on record of any earthquake taking place in the area in question (you can register a small WW2 bomb going off in France from Hawaii.) So the theory is still open.

You keep saying seismic activity might help explain this, how about an earthquake measuring 6.2 on the Richter scale:

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Although the sudden draining of a lake is rare, it is not unheard of. One explanation that scientists proposed was an earthquake in the region that measured 6.2 on the Richter scale. Earthquakes can open up fissures in the rock, giving water an escape route. Another explanation was more prosaic: melting. Blocks of ice dam many glacial lakes, and when the ice melts, the lake can drain away. Sometimes a lake can drain in a rapid deluge, known as a glacial lake outburst flood.

Also I'm generally skeptical about UFOs. However there are many reports of "earthquake lights" or sometimes simply called "earth lights" that occur in areas of tectonic stress, especially just before earthquakes. We don't know everything yet so this phenomenon is little understood, but there may be something to it. I know energy can be generated from stress via the piezoelectric effect, and maybe the earth lights are some kind of similar stress-to-energy conversion method, where a potential voltage is generated that ionizes the air, creating plasma which glows and could be interpreted as a UFO.

So, a combination of a 6.2 magnitude earthquake causing fissures to open up, and POSSIBLY also causing earth lights is one possible explanation, that would be somewhat consistent with UFO sightings.

Earthquake Lights

What are earthquake lights? Are they real?

Regarding evidence of the fissure, look at the lake bed photos in the earthobservatory link, you can't really see under the edges of the glacier too well there could be fissures there which we can't see.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
In my opinion a sink hole opened up, and the whole lake ran into an underground cave. I lived in Bowling Green, Kentucky for 2 years.
They had sink holes all over that town due to Mammouth Cave, and some other caverns. The limestone would cave into the cave and a bowel shaped area above would appear. People lost houses, horses, roads,
etc. into the sink holes. The city spent $400,000.00 filling in a sink hole that opened up in a road. The shopping mall parking lot had one develop that swallowed someone's car. I had one starting in my front yard, we kept filling dirt in. It worried me about loosing the house, we moved. The neighbor hood storm field had a sink hole all the water from a storm would disappear into it. People shoved their trash into sink holes in the county. My dearest friend, had a friend, who was fishing on their pond, they stopped and went in to lunch. When they came back from lunch, the entire pond was gone. No it was not a ufo, it was a sink hole. Funny and scarey. Mammouth cave extends over 300 miles around? I thinkthat was the number. Check it out.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Okay lets work the tectonic plate angle. Perhaps those people where seeing something, but it was not the bottled water barrons from space. Hydroelectic steam can create reflective illusions during the process of evaporation otherwise known as the Morgana Le Feye effect. I wonder where the moon was placed in the sky that night, perhaps the water vapor hit the moonlight just right and it looked like some space ship sucking up water from the lake. All the while the hydroelectric steam withered the water away on the invisible vine. One question though, If we are thinking volcanism, why is their ice still at the bottom of the lake? I kinda liked the giant spaceship vacuum cleaner idea, it was very entertaining in its profound supernatural low pressure mystery, where was the diverging pressure hiding, hmmmmm.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Another thought, I remember house hunting in the country side around Bowling Green with the realestate agent (some older shark lady),
and I noticed this huge dried up pond in the front yard. Bowled shaped.
I said wow you must be having a huge drought here! No, after living in the town two years I realized that lady was trying to sell problem realestate.....It was a huge sink hole!!!!!! Right in front of the HOUSE!
I have a newspaper clipping of someone who bought a brand new horse in BG, KY and a rain storm came along, and afterwards they went out to feed it, and it wasn't in the field. After a day of looking they found it in the field in a sink hole standing up. Thank Goodness it wasn't hurt or dead! A backhoe tractor dug out an exit ramp. Florida also has sinkholes, if your house starts to sink they won't let you go in and rescue your stuff. I tried to get sink hole insurance on my house in Kentucky and they wouldn't
sell it. You are likely to loose your house around the caves. I remember a whole house in Virginia sinking near Lurray Caverns in 1999 or 2000.
I think a sink hole got the whole lake. Is this to do with 2012 events?
I had to ask that one.....

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Nah, its got to be the new subteranean reptillian super autobahn being built under Chile, lol.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
STRANGE HOW I BUMPED MY POST TWO DAYS AGO COVERING THIS, in 2008

And linked to it on a current front page thread of ATS the Ship missing.....

AND NOW this reapears as a new story on ATS?

Please link other ATS stories already coveing even in another forum, or did the search button dissaper to?

Covered already with lots of other examples, not just lakes to say the least please see:

The Great Vanishing Mystery

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 15-8-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Dam those sneaky aliens! How come they don't have to pay for water ?

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Chovy]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Threads on ATS just get worse and worse...

This kind of stuff even happens in Florida.

Sink holes = lake gone overnight.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
Judging from the video looks like a glacial lake in the andes if i had to take a guess i figure a fissure under the lake opened up and created a giant drain. Causes either an eartquake or there was ice clogging the fissure and it melted. If they send some real scientists there theyll probably figure it out.

Did this happen shortly before the Tsunami in December of '04? If so, then I would believe this was the actual trigger for that Tsunami. If this happened after, then . . . I got nuthin'!

For WeedWhacker:

Your quote reminds me of a saying I've had for years:

"Your dogma bit my karma so my karma ran over your dogma".

[edit on 8/15/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Stuff like this happens all the time. A few years ago a Russian lake disappeared.

Residents of a village in central Russia are trying to solve the mystery of a lake that disappeared overnight.
Russia's NTV channel showed a huge, muddy basin where the lake once was, in the village of Bolotnikovo.
"It looks like somebody has pulled the plug out of a gigantic bath," said the TV's correspondent, next to a deep debris-filled hole.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
story

The natives blamed the lakes disappearance on Americans.

But one elderly villager sitting outside her house had another kind of force in mind.
"I thought the Americans had got here," she said, laughing.

So the point is don't listen to the locals, there were probably no UFOs.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
after seeing the movie i think an earthquake may have opened a crack in the lake or something of that nature and it drained out.
and to say ufos was taking the water is laughable .. water is probably one of the most abundant compounds there is in the universe. water is 1 oxygen atom joined with 2 hydrogen atoms. The space shuttle uses both liquid oxygen and hydrogen to get the thrust and when these 2 mix at high temperature u get water...any planetoid further away from the sun is likely to have frozen water or liquid hyrogen and or oxygen so why ALIENS have to nick our water i have no idea

[edit on 15-8-2009 by loner007]

[edit on 15-8-2009 by loner007]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON
A large lake in Chile dissapeared overnight , leaving in its place a giant pit 30 meters deep , but placed in dry soil reported a head of the National Forestry Corporation (CONAF). CONAF requested help from geologists to find out what happened to the lake, located approx. 2000 kilometers southeast of Santiago. What they found is that this rather large lake had simply dissapeared and the quite large icebergs that were residing in the lake are now sitting in the dry bottom of what once was the lake. There were eyewitness reports of UFOs sucking up the water of the lake.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by L.HAMILTON]

The MSNBC article says the lake had been observed in March 2007 and had vanished when next checked on again in may 2007. That hardly "overnight." A lot can happen three months. Maybe a sinkhole

"Park rangers at Bernardo O'Higgins National Park said they found a 100-feet-deep crater in late May where the lake had been in March." - MSNBC

[edit on 15-8-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

*IF* UFOs are involved they can use the water for nuclear fusion.

There is an isotope of hydrogen that can be used as nuclear fuel to power space craft. It is called deuterium and can be extracted from water. Deuterium + Deuterium Fusion to be exact. I suspect they will also require sodium, sulfur and a method to combine the Deuterium atoms.

Scientists have succeeded in fusion experiments by loading deuterium into metals. (metals have the ability to absorb and combine D2 atoms.) Our scientific understanding of this process is still limited.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I´ve seen a hole bunch of UFO/USO videos and one thing they have in common is that many reports/sightings say that they pump wather in some way.

On the other hand i remember watching an experiment from a University where students had built an submarine extracting energy purely from the very saltwater it was in? This submarine ran on free energy and did so to speak go away on it´s own and haven´t been seen since....which of course should be a natural case!

If there´s an explanation to this phenomena, it´s probably connected to that very theory?

Eeiii boys...lets fuel up and head home, don´t ya think?

[edit on 15-8-2009 by m4ng4n]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
According to one [url=http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/2804]link[/url provided by schrodingers dog, the lake had only formed about 30 years ago. That would have required some sort of blockage to form that allowed a river to back up and form the lake. If the blockage could form that easily, presumably it could also be removed that quickly, allowing the water to drain out again.

As for the UFO - how would a UFO take so much water? The water would have formed a cube more than 80 meters on a side (around 250 feet on a side), and would have weighed more than 600 metric tons. That would be kind of hard for a UFO to carry.

No, looks basically like a blockage that formed about 30 years ago, finally let loose and the lake drained. The river returned to its previous form.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
i read in a book before a while back about a ufo draining a lake in africa
and a reason why they would suck up the lake could possibly be drain us what we take for granted being are water you take away are drinking water we die or it could be there way of waging war with us

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
As for the UFO - how would a UFO take so much water? The water would have formed a cube more than 80 meters on a side (around 250 feet on a side), and would have weighed more than 600 metric tons. That would be kind of hard for a UFO to carry.

I agree with your theory but let's see how much deuterium nuclear fuel can be extracted from water:

Deuterium extraction to kilos
600 metric tons x 0.031% = 186 kilos

Convert kilos to gallons
186 kilos / 3.7854118 kilos = 49.14 gal

If my math is correct, the extraction process should result in 49 gallons of deuterium. Most of the water would likely have been thrown out as waste gas.

Edit: clarification

[edit on 15-8-2009 by platoslab]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
If it happened in America, we'd blame terrorists
Like someone else said....sure there is a natural reason for this incident.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
i havent had time to read and research everything

but its funny to me that just browsing over this, anytime something happens and someone claims ufo

someone no matter what always claims fake or unexplained as of yet natural phenomena and completely dismiss what the locals and witnesses actually saw

in my opinion they could touch down next to the white house and there would still be people calling it a natural event

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join