It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Won the Vietnam War ! - Yes you heard right.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
WTF does MGS have to do with me? Is it a crime or something for me to play video games? Jesus, just because my avatar is from a video game doesn't mean I'm less credible than you

Young man, get an education, put away the wargames, and based on your signature, I'd also recommend some professional help. Everyone could use some once in a while.

And until you get some things squared away, I'd recommend you stay out of the military. You won't make it, your attitude will not be tolerated, and it will be a miserable experience.

Gee, aren't you the psychologist

If you want respect, maybe you should show some instead of making BS assumptions of other people. I came here to discuss the topic on hand, not to be PMS'd on by some guy who thinks he knows it all.

You think you know life? You don't know anything until you go out and it gets beat into you. Quotes from the past mean nothing on the modern world, and the most important thing to realize in the modern world is that everyone is different, especially in opinion and knowledge. You sign your own fate when you believe that nobody else can be on your level, that's my advice to you and it is what I learned the hard way. Open your mind and the world will be open to you. Keep your mind closed, and you'll be just as important as the next man down the street.

Whatever happened to "deny ignorance"?

BTW, my sig happens to be lyrics from probably the only original and real band of the 21st century, Metric (they're Canadian, sorry for being the best
)

[edit on 29-8-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Yeah. You're the only one who's ever had rough spots. Let's have a pity party.

In life, there are truths. Truisms are in place because regardless of the millennia, regardless of the continent, regardless of the culture, some things hold true. They always hold true.

You missed a very important point.

These folks are pretty much saying the identical same things, though separated by culture, continent, millennia, nation, and enemies.

When many people from many cultures, from many nations and continents, repeat the same, identical principle time and again, and they have proven successful following these principles, then these principles are a truth.

Grow up. Learn something.

Then you can play with the big boys.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If you knew anything, you would know that true knowledge is not something that can be passed on through words.

I honestly wish that I could pass on my knowledge of the world onto you, but it is impossible to express what I know in mere words. If I expressed myself through actions, then I would be considered a monster. Life is a conundrum and the best you can do is just live for yourself, not by the words of others.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

Tell me if you are an American like you claim why do you use the Euerpean or older style spelling of Iraq ?

Now somebody is welcome to correct me if I am wrong on this one .

cheers xpert11 .

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

If I tell you "a hot stove will burn you" and I was told that by my parents, and their parents before them, and their parents before them, for a hundred generations, then friend, that's not exactly a truism that needs personal experience.

Your points are irrational, have no practical value, and honestly, are a bit weird as they are so skewed.

Whatever you say man. You've got this all figured out in whatever world you live in. The scary part is that you actually believe some of this stuff you spout.

That's troubling.

Good luck, and keep your freak on.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

If I tell you "a hot stove will burn you" and I was told that by my parents, and their parents before them, and their parents before them, for a hundred generations, then friend, that's not exactly a truism that needs personal experience.

haha, that's funny that you used that quote (it brings back drunken memories)... for you see, you bring up a good point. There are the people who will avoid the hot stove to avoid the pain, but there are also the people who will place their hand on the stove to prove that pain can be most enlightening if you do not fear it.

Do not get me wrong though, just because we are of the opposite spectrum does not mean we are more wrong or right than the other. Pretty soon the world will be back in the hands of philosophers and it will be people like us who will decide humanity's future. Do you agree?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
i'm posting again, because i dont want you who served to look at what i wrote and think ill of it.

i agree that you can kill your way to winning a way, and usually its the only way

"BELLA HORIDA BELLA" -Virgil

but i believe the OP was only saying that we won strictly off the fact that we killed more of them, which to me is juvenile.

another thing: it's not the soldiers fault if a war is lost, but rather if the reasons for it, and the people behind the curtain make this war a loss from the start.

you are absolutely right that, in order to win a war, you have to hit them with everything first and never hold back until its over.

like right now in afghanistan, i heard a report saying that they can only detain prisoners caught for a specific amount of time before they release them back on the battle field.

how can you do that and ever expect to make grounds.

for those that served, there's nothing more you could have done. you guys are awesome.

for those that ruled. you suck!

i think the parallels that are being drawn between this war in Iraq and Vietnam are the fact that we shouldnt have been there in the first place. our leaders made that call.

they gave the place, time, and the rules that you had to play by.

you played your hardest, but its just not your fault that people view the wars that way. taking it out on you (the soldier) is the worst thing that could have happened.

i think thats one of the more positive things that have happened between this and vietnam, as the soldier has much more support from the citizens.

we still dont like the leaders, but at least the blame is going in the right direction this time.

we should only invade a place, if a country invades us, or if we are trying to conquer somewhere for the purpose of CONQUERING IT.

for God's sake, stop this trying to fix other countries problems.

take them over, blow them up, or leave them alone i say.

why did we invade iraq on the suspicion they had weapons, and not north korea, and we KNOW they have weapons????

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

If you knew anything, you would know that true knowledge is not something that can be passed on through words.

How do you pass it on then? Do you do mime? Sign language? Are you psychic? Perhaps you get your message across through the art of dance!!?
Having read your last couple of posts I'm going to ask the question that I think we would all like to know. . . What the hell are you on?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

"In Vietnam we killed 6000000 Vietnamese.They killed only 58000 Americans"

How many civilians included in that 58000 Americans and how many in 6000000 Vietnamese?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_spark

"In Vietnam we killed 6000000 Vietnamese.They killed only 58000 Americans"

How many civilians included in that 58000 Americans and how many in 6000000 Vietnamese?

Great another one gets starred for pulling figures out of their backside.

Civilians were killed by both sides but apparently they get added up and added to the ones we killed. If you're going to quote numbers quote correct ones. Not something pulled out of where the sun never shines.

US and Allies

------------------------------------------------------------

South Vietnam 220,357 dead 1,170,000 wounded
US 58,159 dead 2,000 missing; 303,635 wounded
South Korea 4,960 dead; 10,962 wounded
Laos 30,000 killed, wounded unknown
Australia 520 dead 2,400 wounded
New Zealand 37 dead 187 wounded
Thailand 1,351 dead

Total dead: 315,831
Total wounded: ~1,490,000+

North Vietnam and Supporters

North Vietnam & NLF 1,176,000 dead/missing; 600,000+ wounded
P.R. China 1,446 dead; 4,200 wounded
Soviet Union 16 dead

Total dead: ~1,177,446
Total wounded: ~604,000+

Civilian Losses

South Vietnamese civilian dead: 1,581,000
Cambodian civilian dead: ~700,000
North Vietnamese civilian dead: ~2,000,000
Laotian civilian dead: ~50,000
Source

[edit on 4-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Veitnam War casualties:

North Vietnam, China, USSR, Veitcong
Total dead: ~1,177,446
Total wounded: ~604,000+

South Veitnam, US, Austrailia, Laos, New Zealand, Thailand, South Korea
Total dead: 315,831
Total wounded: ~1,490,000+

...in the end the US and its allied forces pulled out of South Veitnam and the South Veitnamese Government fell to the North Veitnamese Communists... we (the alliied forces) lost the war. period. Casualties are not everything. In the American Civil War, Grants Campaign against Lee in Northern Virginia that would eventually end the war... Grant lost far more men then Lee did, yet as we all know (we should anyways) The Northern armies beat Lee's army and we occupied and re-annenxed the south.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

a shame - the south will fight on and cecede from the north.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.

How do you pass it on then? Do you do mime? Sign language? Are you psychic? Perhaps you get your message across through the art of dance!!?
Having read your last couple of posts I'm going to ask the question that I think we would all like to know. . . What the hell are you on?

haha, yeah I did drugs before and I have no regrets. They definitely open the mind to many important things.

But I'll make it clear, people can talk all they want about how these things work, but they'll never know anything unless they actually experience it themselves with an open mind. Combat isn't technical, because that will get you and others killed (I know many experiences of this). Practical experience is the only experience that one can learn from, and you'll learn the most from enduring the most pain. Words are just verbal communication, instinct works much more efficiently.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Frederick the Great said, "Fools learn by their mistakes. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others."

With your combat knowledge, and experience, do you mind telling us of your unit/war?

And the video games don't count.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by dooper]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I've already said that I'm in the process of joining the military, so obviously I haven't been in warfare yet. But make no mistake, I have lots of survival experience, both with nature and with people. I have enough skills to know what it takes to survive, and I have the intelligence to think why I am doing it. Combat is just the ultimate survival experience and I'm sure I'll fair quite well, at least compared to almost every single person I've ever met in my life.

And you keep talking about video games and you keep sounding like an ass. I know you're more mature than that so act it if you want my respect, and you'll get it

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You seem to be relishing being thrown into combat zones!!? Take it from me, war is no fun. Taking another persons life is to be avoided at all costs as that dirty feeling never goes away. It never leaves you and if you think you're going to come out the other end the same person you went in. . .forget it!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I am a civilian. My life is worthless. Why would I want to be the same person again? And it's not like I haven't been to extremes before, war is just something that I'll be on everyone else's standards instead of being alone.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Your life isn't worthless!!! Why do you think that? Everyone has something to offer. You don't have to be in the forces to be someone.
Please believe me, if you join up and end up in a war zone one morning you will wake up wondering how you could have been so foolish.
You sound like a decent human being! Don't let the armed forces take that away from you.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Serving in your country's armed services should be considered an honor. If you choose to join up then I for one respect that. Military service is not for everyone. Make sure you are signing up for the right reasons.

Are you sure you want it?

IS that what you want to do?

My son wanted to follow in my footsteps. I admit it made me feel proud which quickly changed over to concern. Being a parent of a soldier is a lot different than being one. For me...

[ And I can only speak for myself ]

I had to remember how I felt at the time. That helped me when my son was deployed to Iraq. I knew he had a good head on his shoulders and he joined not because it was a family tradition but because he wanted to.

Good luck & God's speed if you do.

Slay

[edit on 6-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Slayer and Mint are straight-up guys, and they're telling you just as it is. Do things for the right reason, not to avoid the situation of the moment.

No one is worthless, although I think more than once, everyone has felt that way. Often enough, it's not worthlessness, as much as a feeling of being swept along in the current and not being able to do anything but hold on.

If your environment sucks, change it.

If there are too many responsibilities piling up, lighten the load.

I too, have been caught up in the current, watching the shore fly by, but you gotta keep your eye on the shore, and keep paddling.

Believe it or not, you'll break free just about the time you think you have nothing left.

Life is inches.

Not leaps.

And there's no such thing as a shortcut.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join