It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is 'faith'?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What is faith to you?

"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith and enable and elevate it are intellectual slave holders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction."

-Bill Maher

“Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.”

-Kahlil Gibran

Just two opposing examples. What does faith mean to you, is it a genuine human emotion/philosophy or is it a delusion?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I think that faith is hanging in there, and believing there might be better days, even in your darkest hour.

I think that faith means that you have to have some belief that things will work out OK.

I think that faith might mean believing in a higher deity.

For me, that faith is that I believe In Jesus Christ, but I have a difficult battle like most other people.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by serbsta

I think that faith is hanging in there, and believing there might be better days, even in your darkest hour.

I think that faith means that you have to have some belief that things will work out OK.

I think that faith might mean believing in a higher deity.

For me, that faith is that I believe In Jesus Christ, but I have a difficult battle like most other people.

I think you are confusing 'faith' with 'hope'. But its all just semantics right; Babble on.

Faith is the opposite of logic. Faith is when you believe something to be true, despite a lack of reason. Faith is ultimately belief in a lie or fiction.

It is a mind trick like hypnosis. Preachers are great at using metaphors and clever analogies to make something seem true.

Faith in lies is much preferable to the truth. You can't handle the truth.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I think that faith is hanging in there, and believing there might be better days, even in your darkest hour... some belief that things will work out OK.

I think that faith might mean believing in a higher deity. For me, that faith is that I believe In Jesus...

Do you believe in Jesus Christ the way you have 'faith' that things could be better, work out okay, etc?

You may believe (or rather, hope) that things will get better, work out fine and so on, but you also know they may not. And in the long run, you know they won't work out - sooner or later, you will die.

Or is your belief in Jesus Christ stronger than just a hope? Does it have the power of true belief - of conviction? Dost thou know thy redeemer liveth?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

It is funny that you mention logic, because I have a university degree in logic.

Here is a fact - logic does not rule out belief.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Yes, I believe In Jesus Christ.

That is where my faith is.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Faith in the Religious content is being delusional and proud of it, Define Delusional before you respond saying that is hate speech.

In some ways it can be good, but in most cases Faith is being a delusional person.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

It is funny that you mention logic, because I have a university degree in logic.

Here is a fact - logic does not rule out belief.

Beliefs don't have to be based on logic, and facts don't have to be based on truth.

I have a large penis.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Faith in the Religious content is being delusional and proud of it, Define Delusional before you respond saying that is hate speech.

In some ways it can be good, but in most cases Faith is being a delusional person.

Reality IS a delusion, so if you believe in Jesus Christ then he is real.

Words are a fun game to play.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

That is a physical part of your body.

It will not make you fulfilled in this world, although it will make you ruin the lives of a lot of girls.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01

Originally posted by Republican08

Reality IS a delusion, so if you believe in Jesus Christ then he is real.

Words are a fun game to play.

Reality isn't a delusion, there is a tree in the amazon many have not seen, and planets un discovered they don't appear when people see or think of them they are there and can be proven.

Jesus Christ may of been real, it doesn't mean he wasn't a mentally ill individual. Or God himself.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I am bewildered, as are we all.

All I am saying is I believe that Jesus Christ can save us.

If others don't believe that, that is their right.

Secondly, I am saying that I have a degree in logic, which does not rule out Jesus.

And, thirdly, I am saying, if anyone out there has money please help the starving people.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

That is a physical part of your body.

It will not make you fulfilled in this world, although it will make you ruin the lives of a lot of girls.

My sincerest thanks to you my friend. I have not laughed in days. I love how we go from faith to penis ruining girls' lives. Maybe you not use it properly.
Logic doesn't always satisfy. But I do know C++

Jesus: see Apollo

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Hey! hooray for huge penises and small brains - NOT!

Yes, I know it is funny - why are people parts funny?\

But penises are hilarious, sorry guys.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I am bewildered, as are we all.

All I am saying is I believe that Jesus Christ can save us.

If others don't believe that, that is their right.

Secondly, I am saying that I have a degree in logic, which does not rule out Jesus.

And, thirdly, I am saying, if anyone out there has money please help the starving people.

Yes i've heard about the degree thats all well an good and worth a bit of appreciation as it is quite well to achieve that.

Although, If your a religious person a stern point is to spread jesus to everyone, why would you be so happy to see me going to hell, since your religion teaches that no?

Please help the starving, well I too want to help the starving, not strictly a religious thing.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

lol, just like looking at a naked girl is like looking at a smily face, yet not really smiling, lol.

I guess your a girl then, wow I figured the opposite.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Body parts aren't funny. Freudian slips are funny, especially from people who brag about how smart they are

BTW I AM Jesus, and you are going to hell for saying I have a small brain and making a "NOT" joke.

Just kidding. I forgive you.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

What guy would call himself spellbound?

You Aussies are so slow - we could take you over right now! Right now! And hit you with a kiwi! (And then apologize to the kiwi).

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

What guy would call himself spellbound?

You Aussies are so slow - we could take you over right now! Right now! And hit you with a kiwi! (And then apologize to the kiwi).

Oh you are a girl. Now I feel most guilty. Forgive me and my 'cocky' ways.

I'm guessing you're american judging by the threat of military force. How has penis ruined your life? Were you a victim of rape or an unwanted pregnancy?

And more importantly, are you smokin hot?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join