It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is 'faith'?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

Hey guys cut this crap out of whos who and what not, your on the internet save this for the pub and what not.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

I was a victim of .........OH, I CAN'T SAY .......

............ I (gulp) was a vic.....vic........tim.........tim

OH, I CAN't SAY

I gulp gulp gulp was a victim of ..............

I CAN'T SAY ........... I was (chin quivering) victim of an Aussie! (OH, the Shame, the Blame, my life is ruined!)

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Hey guys cut this crap out of whos who and what not, your on the internet save this for the pub and what not.

I'm sure the mods will 'cut the crap out'. I'm just trying to have a stimulating conversation. I have a bad habit of reverse-engineering thought.

( edit: The internet is no place for anything sexual. Totally! )

[edit on 11-8-2009 by avatar01]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Hey, no big deal. We all love you spellbound. You are beautiful.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
Yes, I believe In Jesus Christ. That is where my faith is.

This does not answer my question. I asked if there was a qualitative difference between you hope that things will get better, work out fine, etc., and your belief in Jesus Christ. In other words, do you believe in him, or hope in him?

A very important distinction and one not every Christian has the courage to face.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Is faith and blind faith the same thing? From what I can tell they are exactly the same. They are both a belief in something there is no proof of. Is one just more offensive than the other?

If there is a difference, what is it?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I only said that because someone was telling me I had no logic.

Who cares who has whatever? We are all living in this world.

And dying, apparently - so what?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
As for me, I don't believe in Jesus Christ per se, although I believe there is a lot of truth in the teachings of the Bible.

Back to the topic at hand though, I believe there is an 'afterlife', and that angels and god(s) are real. Not because someone told me these things exist (I was raised non-religious) but because I have seen them with my own eye, and furthermore I have logically deduce that they do indeed exist.

I don't think I have 'faith' in these things, because to me, 'faith' is WANTING to believe something. To truly 'know' something is delusional. One can only believe that they know something, because how can you know that you know what you know, ya know?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

You know what?

This as an American thread, and they ignore everyone else.

Don't waste your time posting here.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

That was meant to be my new book!!!!

Which I am hoping to publish!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Faith is known strenght.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

You know what?

This as an American thread, and they ignore everyone else.

Don't waste your time posting here.

I don't believe in countries anymore.

We are living in a global plantation. Intergalactic corporations controlling the nations of simian/reptilian hybridization through televisual enebriation and water fluoridation.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Faith in a god is belief without believable evidence...in my opinion.

But for most other things faith can be modified to be belief with believable evidence.

Based on our known world, the bible isn't believable UNLESS you have faith therefore the bible cannot be used as "believable" evidence to those without faith. Can we believe that people can rise from the dead 3 days after death? Most cannot. Based on what all our senses tell us and how our brains comprehend things it's difficult to believe such things. Can we believe that a man can heal another man by a simple touch? That a man can part a sea? That a being is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent? Not in the real of a natural belief...or a belief alone. Why? Because we have no facts, or hard facts that is, that support these events. We've never seen a man part the sea or the dead rise. Everything we've known and recorded as fact in our recent history has no such things occurring. Anyone who has ever tried, has failed.

Can we believe that your spouse will come home from work tomorrow? Can we believe that milk will spoil shortly after its expiration? That plastic will melt in a fire? Sure we can. Why? We've seen it happen. It's common knowledge and it doesn't even need to be proven because it's so standard that anyone telling us it's not true is laughed at. We've been proved these things happen again and again that we almost don't even have to have faith in them. They just are.

Faith... belief without proof. Can we choose to believe without proof? In my opinion, we cannot. At least, I cannot. No more than I can choose to love someone can I choose to have faith in what appears not only to have no proof but to see proof-less. So proofless in fact that I can't even say it's possible let alone even probable.

I've always maintained that faith isn't taken, it's given. If there is a god why doesn't he just give me the faith that he tells me I must have.

I know all about free will and all that jazz... but I can't believe that I even have free will if "G"od is all of those omni's. Can I truly have a choice of my own if someone knew the outcome of every nanosecond of my life a million years before I was even born? Before there were humans on the earth...in a "G"od scenario...it was known the entire outcome of my faith. That if I can make a choice...the result of my choice was already known.

So, to believe without proof is not even possible to choose to do because someone ("G"od) already knew the result of my choice.

Faith has to be given to those who have it...just like anything else has been given to them by "G"od. Otherwise what would be the point of having a choice if the answer was already known. What would be the point to tell a child he has free will to do whatever he likes while you stand back and know he will die at age 14 yrs, 3 months, 6 days, 2 hours, 1 min and 12 seconds into his life because he "chose" to play with daddy's gun and "accidentally" killed himself. If I know that's going to happen, why don't i truly give him free will or just change the event so that he could actually choose to NOT play with the gun?

Faith in the proofless. Why do so few have faith in human beings (not human like) living on other planets billions*billions of miles away? After all, if man was created in "G"ods image... why are we so arrogant to assume that he only created "man" on this one rock we call earth? What would be the purpose of all those other galaxies, stars and so on and so forth?

Certainly they were just put there for our entertainment... right? to let us figure out how to see something so far away and then tease us with a wonder of the impossible knowledge of "does other life exist?"

Faith in "G"od is a mere trick we play on ourselves to explain the things we cannot explain.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by awood
If there is a god why are we so arrogant to assume that he only created "man" on this one rock we call earth? What would be the purpose of all those other galaxies, stars and so on and so forth?

Maybe after dropping us on this planet and seeing what we've done to it, God(s) decided that 'man' was not such a good idea after all.

But yeah I agree... of course there is other intelligent life out there. I don't understand people who cannot see this. One must be willfully ignorant to not see something so obvious.

Faith in "G"od is a mere trick we play on ourselves to explain the things we cannot explain.

"G"od is big brother. Space brother. Bigger weapons, faster spaceships. Jesus is my imaginary friend and role model. Word.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I have just told you I am a kiwi - I have to think you are brain-damaged.

Hey, guess why kiwis beat Aussies.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

As to your last post, I've seen your previous post, and have to believe that you don't even believe this worth anything.

If you honestly believe your last post please, I would love to hear you say it.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

OK. I believe in Jesus.

He is my hope, my trust and my faith.

Other people believe in what they need to believe in.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Are you deliberately evading the question?

Faith and hope are not the same thing.

Do you hope in Jesus or believe in him?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by awood
Faith in a god is belief without believable evidence...in my opinion.

You've got to have the right perspective on God to know.

But for most other things faith can be modified to be belief with believable evidence.

Based on our known world, the bible isn't believable UNLESS you have faith therefore the bible cannot be used as "believable" evidence to those without faith.

Maybe a lot of people are denying their faith, or are asked on the wrong moments for it in fear of being ridiculed at but in some instances won't.

Can we believe that people can rise from the dead 3 days after death? Most cannot. Based on what all our senses tell us and how our brains comprehend things it's difficult to believe such things.

strenght in faith

Can we believe that a man can heal another man by a simple touch? That a man can part a sea? That a being is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent? Not in the real of a natural belief...or a belief alone.

growth

Why? Because we have no facts, or hard facts that is, that support these events.

we don't work anymore with ourselves, platonic relations with eachother. No constructive interaction anymore (?)

We've never seen a man part the sea or the dead rise.

There have been dead men scratching in their coffings

Everything we've known and recorded as fact in our recent history has no such things occurring. Anyone who has ever tried, has failed.

Can we believe that your spouse will come home from work tomorrow?

When you have true faith you know what is happening to your close ones and others

Can we believe that milk will spoil shortly after its expiration? That plastic will melt in a fire? Sure we can. Why? We've seen it happen.

Have you yet seen otherwise, that plastic didn't melt in the fire. more perfected plastic

It's common knowledge and it doesn't even need to be proven because it's so standard

standards need to be conquered and transformed

that anyone telling us it's not true is laughed at. We've been proved these things happen again and again that we almost don't even have to have faith in them. They just are.

You've lost faith my friend, you shall behold miracles soon!

Faith... belief without proof.

Faith is known powers which therefore hold a strong belief in the God

Can we choose to believe without proof?

Always know that tests can flaw

In my opinion, we cannot. At least, I cannot. No more than I can choose to love someone can I choose to have faith in what appears not only to have no proof but to see proof-less. So proofless in fact that I can't even say it's possible let alone even probable.

Probable makes it possible

I've always maintained that faith isn't taken, it's given. If there is a god why doesn't he just give me the faith that he tells me I must have.

You need to think and behold

I know all about free will and all that jazz... but I can't believe that I even have free will if "G"od is all of those omni's.

It is untill LOVE and all its facets become your will, the other will deranges Love in all its facets.

Can I truly have a choice of my own if someone knew the outcome of every nanosecond of my life a million years before I was even born? Before there were humans on the earth...in a "G"od scenario...it was known the entire outcome of my faith. That if I can make a choice...the result of my choice was already known.

So, to believe without proof is not even possible to choose to do because someone ("G"od) already knew the result of my choice.

The bible wants you to believe untill you know for sure one day

Faith has to be given to those who have it...

No it's not, you know when you reread your sentence, it is allready given to those.

just like anything else has been given to them by "G"od. Otherwise what would be the point of having a choice if the answer was already known. What would be the point to tell a child he has free will to do whatever he likes while you stand back and know he will die at age 14 yrs, 3 months, 6 days, 2 hours, 1 min and 12 seconds into his life because he "chose" to play with daddy's gun and "accidentally" killed himself. If I know that's going to happen, why don't i truly give him free will or just change the event so that he could actually choose to NOT play with the gun?

If you know on forehand you will do something about it normally, won't you?

Faith in the proofless. Why do so few have faith in human beings

Platonic behavior, people don't talk real talk anymore

(not human like) living on other planets billions*billions of miles away? After all, if man was created in "G"ods image... why are we so arrogant to assume that he only created "man" on this one rock we call earth? What would be the purpose of all those other galaxies, stars and so on and so forth?

Certainly they were just put there for our entertainment... right? to let us figure out how to see something so far away and then tease us with a wonder of the impossible knowledge of "does other life exist?"

That would be false

[edit on 11-8-2009 by etherical waterwave]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Strength? How so? Please elaborate.

I perchance see faith as a tool of the weak, they need something to cling on to, some affirmation in an uncertain world. Am i wrong in saying this?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join