It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is 'faith'?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Faith is brought fourth by beholding the true truth. the force which brings forth joy.

Faith is insight in the force.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Insight brings forth faith.

Faith is what is known about force and how it acts.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Strength? How so? Please elaborate.

I perchance see faith as a tool of the weak, they need something to cling on to, some affirmation in an uncertain world. Am i wrong in saying this?

Then it is not true faith. Faith brings forth strenght. There are whom dwell in faith, who glow in it. Belief ends in happyness and security, in certainty.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Don't get jealous of 'the weak'...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave

I perchance see faith as a tool of the weak, they need something to cling on to, some affirmation in an uncertain world. Am i wrong in saying this?

Then it is not true faith. Faith brings forth strenght. There are whom dwell in faith, who glow in it. Belief ends in happyness and security, in certainty.

Belief in what you do not know*, a false correction? Faith is blind, so if you want to believe that 'belief ends in happiness and security' than i suppose that you believe in ignorance being bliss? What else can be the result of blind faith but the ignorance of your life leading up to whatever you have faith in.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Don't get jealous of 'the weak'...

Jealous? Hardly, i would rather question every aspect of my life than force my mentality to commit itself to something that cannot be proven unless it is 'believed even if not seen'.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

modern meaning...
Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing

How weak are you?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hope
The standard dictionary definition, and one that is generally accepted by most of the world is “to FEEL that something desired MAY happen:” The words “feel” and “may” are two very indefinite and vague words, but such a definition of “hope” exemplifies the thinking of most people.

I hope it doesn't rain, I hope the car will start....

The dictionary definition of the word “hope” is NOT the Biblical Hope.

Hope is the Hebrew word, “yachal” meaning “trust.”
Used in different context it can also mean “towcheleth“ meaning expectation.
My expectation is in God or in God I trust....as we hope in thee.
The Lord doesn't lie, so He will keep his promises.

In the new testement the word “Hope” is an absolute, a guarantee without a doubt. It is the Greek word “elpis” meaning “to expect or anticipate with pleasure.”

Titus 3:7

“That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.”

We are Justified by God’s grace, guaranteed — Rendered innocent or free by God’s Grace, eternal life guaranteed!

________

Faith

The word "faith", translated from the Greek "pi´stis", primarily conveys the thought of confidence, trust, firm persuasion.

Commenting on the function of faith in relation to the covenant of God, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."(Heb 11:1 ESV).
Translated "faith" here, commonly appears in ancient papyrus business documents, conveying that a covenant is an exchange of assurances which guarantees the future transfer of possessions described in the contract.
"Faith is the title deed of things hoped for."
Hebrews 11:6 further illustrates the meaning and the practical role of faith: "without faith it is impossible to please [God]

Faith, Hope and Love, there is no real separation....You cant have one with out the other.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by 297GT]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Faith is a kind of knowledge

Knowledge is an essential element in all faith, and is sometimes spoken of as an equivalent to faith (John 10:38; 1 John 2:3). Yet the two are distinguished in this respect, that faith includes in it assent, which is an act of the will in addition to the act of the understanding.

Differentiating between belief and faith.
1. Belief – Mental assent, cognitive acceptance, dogmatic assertion
comprising intellectual certainty. (static)
2. Faith – Volitional receptivity and availability allowing for
functional certainty of God's activity. (dynamic)

*Volitional
: an act of making a choice or decision; also, a choice or decision made
: the power of choosing or determining : will

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Belief in what you do not know*, a false correction? Faith is blind, so if you want to believe that 'belief ends in happiness and security' than i suppose that you believe in ignorance being bliss? What else can be the result of blind faith but the ignorance of your life leading up to whatever you have faith in.

Cheers.

Faith is belief which is been realised. It holds a form.

Faith cannot be blind.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Goodmorning! Nice OP! S+F'd!

Here is my humble view and definition of "Faith". (It seems funny to define it)

It is a knowledge beyond belief, beyond hope, beyond doubt and beyond wishes. It is an Absolute Knowing that a thing Is or will BE; like knowing the sun will rise tomorrow morning in the east and the stars come out at night. It is an unquestionable understanding of things as they are. It is best used in the fullness of a single moment nestled in One's heart as a selfless act of unconditional Love.

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Faith is belief which is been realised. It holds a form.

Faith cannot be blind.

How so?

I'm not an atheist strictly speaking, but no one has seen the mind of God, no one knows what God is. You cannot 'realise' something you do not know or understand, you can only hope what you believe is correct.

Not blind?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 297GT

modern meaning...
Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing

How weak are you?

Hardly weak, i actually have a lot of inner strength, that's what it takes to actually question the things we have been taught to have 'faith' in.

I just fail to understand how having 'confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing' is being strong? This is weakness, clinging onto something even it has the slightest bit of evidence.

Im not saying that faith is bad, don't want any confusion, just trying to see how other members perceive it.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
This is strange.. i was going to post exactly the same question 2 days back.lol

Faith is the root of all evil.

The idea ' proof denies faith and without faith i am nothing' makes no sense because its to easy for humans to use this to control other humans by simply claiming to have 'special knowledge' of gods intentions or opinions. If there is a god im sure this would not be his intention.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
If there is a god im sure this would not be his intention.

Also another thing i forgot to mention, but i didnt want to make the debate too complicated.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Faith is unquestionable. Faith is made out fo facts. Faith is not science. Faith is given to those who stand open for unconditional love. The Just, the righteouss. Faith comes from within. Faith is found introspectively. Faith is a subtle emotion.

questions????? I kind of like this debate. It can bring up some stuff.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Faith is in how you act!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Faith is unquestionable. Faith is made out fo facts. Faith is not science. Faith is given to those who stand open for unconditional love. The Just, the righteouss. Faith comes from within. Faith is found introspectively. Faith is a subtle emotion.

questions????? I kind of like this debate. It can bring up some stuff.

I like the debate aswell but you are steering clear of all of my posts and simply rewording what you have already stated.

'Faith is unquestionable', is that what God wanted? Thats what would be called using the reason God gave us?

Again, how is faith not blind?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 297GT

modern meaning...

How weak are you?

Hardly weak, i actually have a lot of inner strength, that's what it takes to actually question the things we have been taught to have 'faith' in.

I just fail to understand how having 'confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing' is being strong? This is weakness, clinging onto something even it has the slightest bit of evidence.

Im not saying that faith is bad, don't want any confusion, just trying to see how other members perceive it.

Cheers.

You say your faith ( your belief or trust in a idea, or thing ) is not weak but shows strength, and doesn't bind you
you kinda dont believe in God but how can you prove that God doesn't exist? So you show weakness in believing science... in your own words.
Just a word play dont take out of context.

Let me answer

I never just blindly fell into God with some christian mind control LOL.

I too have have a lot of inner strength, that I used to question the things we have been taught...
I even asked for proof from God many times.

So in my case, I have my proof, I have also questioned and learned about and experienced much of the other option available.
So to me there is no doubt, I have absolute no doubt that Jesus is the son of God and died on a cross so I may have life eternal.

My faith comes from love and is the dynamic action of my hope.
Faith is ones will in making a choice or decision.
My free will is my own power of choosing, with out be forced to accept or conform to some one else's decision or ideals for me.

That is pure strength, and power.

Good questions though!!!!

edit for typo's gettin tired

[edit on 12-8-2009 by 297GT]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
i have faith.. faith in source. faith that i will return to where i came from. faith that things happen for a reason. faith that i am not alone. when i am in a dark place .. i have faith that it will pass...
love and light

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join