It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Prepares to Dump the Dollar

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Yeah, I agree that that sending a great deal of manufacturing overseas has done far more harm than good. It is a shame how corporate executives have succeeded in dismantling our manufacturing base to earn their outrageous salaries.

However, I see a silver lining in all of this, and that is a re-emergence of a new form of the cottage industry. With the way automation technology has developed, it is now possible for mass production to be done out of ones garage, or in a small warehouse no bigger than a barn. This way businesses could mass produce without the giant corporate parasites sucking the life out of the business.

However, before this can happen, our government needs to start doing its job of protecting individuals and small businesses from corrupt banking practices, and the out of control, corrupt litigation industry which drives the insurance industry.

Oh well, its a dream, anyway.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Yeah, I agree that that sending a great deal of manufacturing overseas has done far more harm than good. It is a shame how corporate executives have succeeded in dismantling our manufacturing base to earn their outrageous salaries.

However, I see a silver lining in all of this, and that is a re-emergence of a new form of the cottage industry. With the way automation technology has developed, it is now possible for mass production to be done out of ones garage, or in a small warehouse no bigger than a barn. This way businesses could mass produce without the giant corporate parasites sucking the life out of the business.

However, before this can happen, our government needs to start doing its job of protecting individuals and small businesses from corrupt banking practices, and the out of control, corrupt litigation industry which drives the insurance industry.

I just closed down a business that was producing unique hand-made goods. The cost in trying to compete with corporate giants with vast marketing dollars is crippling.

Starting with the Industrial Revolution, the success formula for countries with large populations has been producing things that generate significant revenues to offset the cost of imports and internal operational budgets. Tourism, entertainment, special services, agriculture, even raw resources can only account for so much when there are a third of a billion mouths to feed.

The US had the ball and fumbled it. The car industry something that put the US ahead of the rest of the world economically. Software and advanced technologies filled the gap for a short while. But others now are able to reproduce these more cost effectively.

If there's a unique advantage product on the horizon that can gainfully employ 50+ million Americans it had better emerge - and soon.

Mike

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

Of course you are right about silver, Another member put me onto this a few days ago and research has proved that historically compared with gold, it has seldom been so cheap and has a big potential upside.

One other comment about silver and/or gold. If through the Obamacare bill, the government will be given the right to confiscate the money in your bank accounts and other assets without court proceedings, then more and more people will be buying gold and silver to protect themselves from Asset Forfeiture. My husband and I are essentially unemployed and had the county government wipe out all of our savings to pay the taxes on our home. They hiked the taxes from $900 to over $5000 in one year!!!

I think the dollar will tank. I do not know very much about economics but when Obama doubled the money supply in three months and the Fed allows the banks to issue $97 dollars worth of credit for ever three dollars worth of T-bonds they hold, it sure looks like inflation city to me. Heck most of my farm supplies have doubled or tripled in price in the last couple of years already. But my customers are so strapped for cash I can not raise my prices instead I have had to lower them to stay in business. Right now I am just breaking even, the farm doesn't even pay the property taxes any more.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Sure, when the people with Gold, Silver are starving i'll trade them a pound of wheat for a pound of gold.

Land is where it is at, fertile land, that food can be produce on, because when your hungry, you'll trade a lot of gold for one meal.

You are correct and that is why they are trying to pass the "Food Safety" bills., The Monsanto shill Mike Taylor is waiting in the wings to become the new Food Czar. Just slap on those monsterous regulations, strangle the independent farmers in red tape and then levee million dollar fines so you can confiscate their land. Monsanto, Tyson,Cargill, Swift et al are salivating waiting to grab all that land and create a food cartel in complete control of food prices.

The plans are already made. Food and Water Watch and the Organic Consumers group have already been bought off with the director of both appointed to the UN as a senior advisor. The US strategic food stockpiles are gone thanks to the manuvering of Cargill and the grain traders. Farmers have been screaming for a several years but no one cares about food until there is a famine and then it is too late.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This will change however as they reinvest and retool for higher quality products. Just like the Japanese did in the 50s and 60s then they came out of nowhere with high quality in the 70s and 80s. History will repeat itself.

History will repeat itself? Maybe not. The one thing Japan had that was critical to quality was Dr. Demming. But even today US manufacturers are not willing to listen to his teachings. Instead we have ISO which is a management system NOT a quality system but bean counters love it. According to a Russian I sat next to during an ISO training session it was common in the USSR and didn't work there either. If China goes with ISO do not expect the type of miracle the Japanese pulled in the 70's and 80's.

What I see as the biggest bar to a USA recovery is our very poor education system.

"For 10 years, William Schmidt, a statistics professor at Michigan State University, has looked at how U.S. students stack up against students in other countries in math and science. "In fourth-grade, we start out pretty well, near the top of the distribution among countries; by eighth-grade, we're around average, and by 12th-grade, we're at the bottom of the heap, outperforming only two countries, Cyprus and South Africa." :Source

Another source states

...the U.S. ranks 21st out of 29 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries in mathematics scores, with nearly one-quarter of students unable to solve the easiest level of questions....In 2000, 28 percent of all freshmen entering a degree-granting institution required remedial coursework

Surveys of corporations consistently find that businesses are focused outside • the U.S. to recruit necessary talent. In a 2002 survey, 16 global corporations complained that American schools did not produce students with global skills. United States companies agreed. The survey found that 30 percent of large U.S. companies “believed they had failed to exploit fully their international business opportunities due to insufficient personnel with international skills.” One respondent to the survey even noted, “If I wanted to recruit people who are both technically skilled and culturally aware, I wouldn’t even waste time looking for them on U.S. college campuses.

Speaking of education, I ran across this very interesting tidbit. It certainly makes you wonder if there is a group of elites pulling the strings.

... Over the last quarter-century, historians have by and large ceased writing about the role of ruling elites in the country's evolution. Or if they have taken up the subject, they have done so to argue against its salience for grasping the essentials of American political history. Yet there is something peculiar about this recent intellectual aversion, even if we accept as true the beliefs that democracy, social mobility, and economic dynamism have long inhibited the congealing of a ruling stratum. This aversion has coincided, after all, with one of the largest and fastest-growing disparities in the division of income and wealth in American history....Neglecting the powerful had not been characteristic of historical work before World War II. ” Source

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

This will change however as they reinvest and retool for higher quality products. Just like the Japanese did in the 50s and 60s then they came out of nowhere with high quality in the 70s and 80s. History will repeat itself.

History will repeat itself? Maybe not. The one thing Japan had that was critical to quality was Dr. Demming.

Yup I uploaded an in depth video series to our media section on him but it got 0 views so I deleted it.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

And the organic milk industry is growing. Milk made without Growth Hormone is the only kind I will drink or give my child. I spread the word regularly. I notice these No GH sections in the store are growing, as well as farmers markets in cities across the country. Changes are a comin.

Yes and the change is the new "food safety" bills that will regulate the small farmer out of business. Monsanto, Tyson, Cargill et al do NOT like independent farmers because they act as a break on artificial price hikes on food. Cargill already got rid of the USA food stock piles and made a killing on the artifically caused grain shortage. THAT was what the "biofuel" was all about. It takes more petro to make biofuel then you get back. But it sure does a great job of creating a shortage.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Yup I uploaded an in depth video series to our media section on him but it got 0 views so I deleted it.

Sorry to hear that but Americans want a quick fix not solid information. I really got sick and tired of the "flavor of the month" at work as management tried out the great new fix some con man was selling.

This thread has been an interesting read. I still do not like what I am seeing in the new changes. Doubling the money supply, regulating farming, poor education, and cap and trade. All that new junk on top of OSHA and EPA, Zoning and the other regs gives US manufacturing a real handicap to over come.

If Washington DC really wanted to stimulate the economy the would loosen some of the d@*m regs and other laws. Perhaps protect small businesses from ruinous lawsuits? Hit some of the megacorporations with antitrust?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Well said, but it is even worse than you have said.

I have posted some of what is to follow in other threads,
but some of it is fresh material.

It is cumulatively related and supports a domino effect that
is likely to be occurring around the nation, thou some states
are being hit much harder than others, namely California.

So here goes...here are the threads of this country unraveling.

It has been confirmed by other news sources now that the
$134 billion in US bonds were likely real, and the japanese
men sneaking them around were likely japanese ministry of finance.

If that is true and they are trying to quietly dump them on the
market and other countries start doing it, we don't have long and
it is likely the trigger event for the Wall street journals mentioned
upcoming nationwide bank shutdown.

*** The two below say that the two japanese men stopped
with supposedly fake bonds were released...And if they
had been fake they would have broken the law and be
held on counterfeiting charges.
This says the japanese are dumping US bonds secretly
to get off the ship before it goes beneath the waves...

www.freerepublic.com...

market-ticker.denninger.net...

We saw a failure of the 5 year bond sale of T-bills.

Then the failure of the 7 year bond sale of T-bills.

*** Below says US foreign Embassys are being told to horde
1 years worth of non-US currency due to a possible
lengthy banking shutdown.

www.marketwatch.com...

Speaking of shutdown, 7 banks in one day went poof...

www.fdic.gov...

Close to 600 Bank of America locations to be closed.

news.yahoo.com...

FDIC top level official says bank closures to increase 10 fold.

moneynews.newsmax.com...

I can see why she would say that with near 2,700 banks being
rated D+ or lower.

www.moneyandmarkets.com...

Over 1,000 Trillion in derivatives are set to implode.

theinternationalforecaster.com...

Once they monetize the debt and start printing money like mad
to buy our own debt up, they will devalue the currency and
turn the US into a modern day Zimbabwe.

They outline how this is likely to happen in these three videos.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

The tax revenues have dropped more than anytime since the Great Depression.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

34 million ppl on food stamps, more than ever before.

www.forbes.com...

So draw your own conclusions, but seriously consider doing at least
some minor preparations for some disruptions.

Set aside your ego and your beliefs to make sure those you care
about will be safe if things go good or bad.

Good Luck to you all !

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech
It has been confirmed by other news sources now that the
$134 billion in US bonds were likely real, and the japanese
men sneaking them around were likely japanese ministry of finance.

If that is true and they are trying to quietly dump them on the
market and other countries start doing it, we don't have long and
it is likely the trigger event for the Wall street journals mentioned
upcoming nationwide bank shutdown.

This has not been confirmed at all. The recently convicted Hal Turner put it on his lunatic fringe radio network. Equally unreliable internet sources have picked it up.

Those anonymous bearer bonds were in denominations of $1 billion and $500 million. Such things don't exist.

Maybe in a badly written children's book would the Japanese Minister of Finance board a commuter train with a country's net worth in a hidden compartment of a suitcase.

Money exchanges of this magnitude would be done by wire for security reasons and because the numbers would have to be confirmed at source. These were not money orders you cash at the Post Office.

There have been half a dozen cases of these type of phony bonds in the past few years. You can buy realistic looking documents like these in the Philippines at about the same price as toilet paper.

I go on about this because I see so many people willing to accept anything anyone says without questioning whether there's an iota of truth to it.

M

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

They let them go amigo.

Thus they committed no crime, thus the bonds are real.

Its bad news, but it is the truth.

If you read denninger's article you will see that the official story
has a lot of HUGE holes in it.

You do not set counterfeiters free.

You can focus on the nut job all you want, but the official story
is still severely flawed and you know it but won't admit it.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I go on about this because I see so many people willing to accept anything anyone says without questioning whether there's an iota of truth to it.

I very willingly admit I know very little about economics. That said I did read up about the Federal Reserve. PRIMER ON MONEY: Congressional COMMITTEE ON BANKING AND CURRENCY) and I know how fractional banking works.

The writer [Wright Patman] has had a couple of personal experiences which 'have provided some amusing confirmation of the fact that the source of bank reserves is not deposits of cash by the member banks with the Federal Reserve banks. having seen reports that the Federal Reserve System had, on a given date, Government securities amounting to a proximately $28 billion, I went on one occasion to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York where these securities are supposed to be housed, and asked if I might be allowed to see them. The officials of this bank said, yes, they would be glad to show them to me; whereupon they opened the vaults and let me look at, and even hold in my hand, the large mound of Government securities which they claimed to have and which, in fact, they did have. Since I had also seen reports that the member banks of the Federal Reserve System had a certain number of millions of dollars in "cash reserves" on deposit with the Federal Reserve bank, I then asked if I might be allowed to see these cash reserves. This time my question was met with some looks of surprise; the bank officials then patiently explained to me that there were no cash reserves. The cash, in truth, does not exist and never has existed. [pg 38]

I know the Fed is run by the bankers for the bankers, and The Fed PRINTED close to a TRILLON dollars in three months, with Obama's blessing and thereby doubled the money supply. Normally the money supply takes about ten years to double.

I know that changes in lending laws allowed unqualified buyers to buy homes creating increased demand in the housing market. Banks got rid of these "toxic loans" by bundling them in with decent loans and selling them to investors as "collateralized debt obligations" Banks actually lent less than $10,000 of their money for a $100,000 loan. The other $90,000 is fairy dust, a bookkeeping entry and nothing else. With a 30 year loan at 7% interest the entire amount the bank actually lent ($10,000) would be paid back in two years., The rest of the money paid to the bank after the two years is 100% profit.

Changes in banking laws also allowed the "leveraged buyouts" a couple of decades ago. Good solid corporations such as Gillette, who had NO DEBT, were self insured and treated their employees well were the targets since they were asset rich and worth more torn apart. Perlman did a tap dance on Gillette and now the company no longer exists.

I know the Fed finessed the "10% reserve" by applying it to checking accounts only and then on paper dividing checking accounts into Two types of accounts so the cash reserves held by banks is now 3% just enough to meet the ordinary daily demands. This is the Achilles heel of US banking because if the US citizens lost faith in the banks and withdraw their money the banks will collapse.

So much for banks. What worries me is the loss of manufacturing jobs. I checked the US census and we had less manufacturing jobs in 1996 than we had in 1970. That is before Clinton ratified the World Trade Organization and the US started shipping jobs overseas at an accelerated rate. The second thing that worries me is the ratio of manufacturing jobs to government and government related jobs such as Lawyers, Accountants, and school teachers. Some where I read that the actual number of government jobs is between 20 and 25%. (The census hides the real total by how they count the jobs) Also there is the increase in service related jobs, (shop keepers and entertainment) I do not feel that shopkeepers and government employees is a good basis for an economy.

Then there are the activists strangling business. The USA has plenty of raw materials, but mining, drilling for oil, smelting of metal manufacturing of plastics is attacked viciously. Energy is also an absolute must for the economy. Civilizations can not advance without decent sources of energy. Historically it was beast of burden, now it is coal, oil, nuclear, water and wind. Again increases in the sources of energy especially nuclear, coal, oil, or water are attacked. These are the only sources to date that can provide the abundant power needed to fuel our economy. Solar, wind and biofuel just can not provide the amounts needed.

Next are the laws. as I mentioned, minimum wage, taxes, zoning, EPA, OSHA and the rest of the alphabet soup make international corporations set up shop in cheaper less regulated countries. Small businesses here in the USA do not stand a chance against the multinationals because the multinationals have the deep pockets to under cut prices until the small businesses are bankrupted. They have done this to entire countries in the third world. Tax subsidized grain here in the USA is sold at below production costs in a country bankrupting the small farmers. Once this is done the corporations buy up the land and raise the prices. Mexico lost 75% of her farmers in that manner. Here in the USA you only have to see the impact of Walmart on local businesses.

Now we have a President and Congress who are not addressing the causes of the problems. Instead they double the money supply, try to ram through the Obamacare bill that will definately increase the actual cost of health care for the American taxpayer, write bills to regulate farmers out of business and want to hamstring our vital energy production.

I have already mentioned the horrible education and then we have the laws and psychobabble that did away with disciplining children. So we now have a generation of workers with no work ethic and little education who are expected to turn arround the economy with the above mention handicaps from activists and the US government.

That is why I am worried about the fate of the USA we have much worse handicaps than we did in 1933.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Sorry to hear that, what we need are more quality hand made goods, and less junk.

What happened to GM is a lot more complicated than is being let on. A great many investors have lots of reasons to bankrupt GM. One of the biggest would be to get out from under the pension obligations. This is also tremendous desire to break the unions for good, and that would not be good for this country. How is it we could give over a trillion to banks, and refused to give a tenth of that to the auto industry, when money gong to the auto industry would have gone a far greater amount towards protecting retirees pensions. Don't forget, all the automakers in the other countries are hurting as well, but their countries took the steps to protect their domestic auto industries. How come we didn't do the same thing?

I still think the future of the U.S. is home based industries using automated production lines. You might want to look at what parts of your business you could have automated to lower costs. Also, look to the internet for home based workers to enable you to market your business better. With our current productivity capabilities, we should all be working less, and spending more time on quality of life. From what I have seen, most of the work is make work created by people whose only goal is protecting their jobs, otherwise referred to as bureaucracy.

The same people who would have told you the U.S. economy was solid back in 2005, and want to blame this mess on Obama when he inherited it from GW and the repubicons will deny this until it is inevitable, but the reality is that we reached peak oil in 2005. High quality crude production has been on the decline ever since. World oil production, looking at all grades peaked in 2007, but that was done with lower grade crude.

Where will the future lead us? Biofuels, cannibus diesel, windmill farms, solar energy, all that. These new energy sources will be far more labor intensive.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Time to cut the fed res loose, and see if they can swim on their own as an international currency. Why should the people of the U.S. be on the hook for the costs of international businesses, which is where all the U.S. debt was created to support.

Time to create a new fed treas note currency system that honors bank accounts in the U.S. with balances in fed reserve notes up to say, $500 thousand.

Considering our country has been ran for the last 8 years by people whose goal is to make government fail, what a surprise that we are in this mess.

Blaming the Obama admin for the failures of the GW admin at this point is just being stubbornly ignorant. The Obama admin hasn't had the time to locate and eliminate all the poison pills left by the GW admin.. Then hopefully, they will go after all the crooks that robbed our nation over the last 8 years.

Unplug from the corporate controlled talk radio network and learn to start thinking independently. We would be better off getting rid of the international corporations, good riddance to them.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Blaming the Obama admin for the failures of the GW admin at this point is just being stubbornly ignorant. The Obama admin hasn't had the time to locate and eliminate all the poison pills left by the GW admin.. Then hopefully, they will go after all the crooks that robbed our nation over the last 8 years. Unplug from the corporate controlled talk radio network and learn to start thinking independently. We would be better off getting rid of the international corporations, good riddance to them.

GW and Obama and Clinton are all in the pockets of the mega corporations. Why else is Mike Taylor the lawyer to Monsanto picked for the future food czar. Why was Vilsack appointed head of the USDA instead of Dr. Mike Pollan? "Vilsack has a glowing reputation as being a schill for agribusiness biotech giants like Monsanto." HR 875 the food safety bill was sponsored by Rosa DeLauro her husband Stan Greenberg was a consultant for Monsanto and is a known globalist who ran campaigns in 60 countries. Take off the rose colored glasses. Clinton appointed the Monsanto CEO to his cabinet! And with the help of Monsanto and Cargill employees got the Agreement on Agriculture and the World Trade Organization ratified. Even Clinton acknowledges that was a bad move and has resulted in millions starving. The democrats are as much in the pockets of the bankers and corporations as the republicans.

Take a good look at Maurice Strong, Greenpeace, Sierra Club and their connection to the Rockefellers and oil money. NOTHING is as it seems and you really have to dig to find the truth. Remember the definition of an honest politician...."One who stays bought." and practically ALL of our US politicians, Republican and Democrat, are bought and paid for by big money banking and corporations. That is where they owe their true allegiance.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

They let them go amigo.

Thus they committed no crime, thus the bonds are real.

Its bad news, but it is the truth.

If you read denninger's article you will see that the official story
has a lot of HUGE holes in it.

You do not set counterfeiters free.

You can focus on the nut job all you want, but the official story
is still severely flawed and you know it but won't admit it.

A lot of confusion on this one. First of all there was no counterfeiting. Anonymous and couponed bearer bonds of these astronomical denominations simply never existed. These were just fakes. A $10 bill unofficially printed by someone is counterfeit. But a $10 million bill is not.

These guys were carrying imaginary securities. It is highly suspicious that they were smuggling them into Switzerland, but as they were not caught trying to pass them off as lawful tender, there was no actual crime.

The probable explanation is that they were agents in a wonky scheme by North Korea to deposit these in some Swiss account and use them as leverage for loans.

If the Japanese want to dump US currency on the sly there are ways to do it. But putting the value of a country in a hidden suitcase compartment is insane risk with no advantage. Anything of this magnitude would require matching ledger number held by the Treasury which any banking institution would immediately have to verify.

I put the link up on another thread. In Feb 2008 a Filipino woman and cohort in Texas were trying to sell these same type of bonds to investors at a super deep discount with a story of how they were from a previous foreign government administration. The FBI hit them with fraud.

The media has kept quiet on all this as there is a blackout on stories raising the spectre of dollar abandonment. It may be happening, but would never be executed in such an idiotically simpleminded manner.

Mike

[edit on 9-8-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

And it all started with Reagan and his free market con job.

It is a matter of a lessor of two evils. There clearly was a huge difference between the eighties and the nineties. At least during the Clinton era the middle class prospered. That was not true during the eighties of the last 8 years.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

I know the Fed is run by the bankers for the bankers, and The Fed PRINTED close to a TRILLON dollars in three months, with Obama's blessing and thereby doubled the money supply. Normally the money supply takes about ten years to double.

Actually about 8 trillion is missing from the Fed, so once the 8 trillion
starts to take effect as inflation, your dollar just dropped severely.

If it is 800% that is like your dollar being worth almost as little
as a dime in matter of months.

The Zimbabwe school of economics indeed.

www.bloomberg.com...

If you do not own some metals or other hard assets, your boned.

I prefer silver based on what it says in this 3 part video.

www.youtube.com...

Got to love the part where Bernanke answers no to telling
the congress critters where the money went.

Silver looks to do better than gold if the 16:1 gold ratio happens
yet again as it has a few times in the past.

We should be so lucky that only 1 trillion went poof ...

When the $1,400 Trillion in derivatives tanks, it will make this look
like a pittance.

www.youtube.com...

The messed up part is Perkins warned us all in his book
confessions of an economic hitman, but no one took him serious.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Yeah, but if no one has any money to buy anything, prices can not go up. Inflation isn't an increase in the money supply, unless the money gets into the hands of the people to spend. If people do not have money, then you can not have too many dollars chasing too few goods.

We are still in a deflationary situation, it is just that the way they measure these things has been so twisted, the numbers being put out do not match the reality.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

B.R.I.C.

Brazil

BRASILIA (Dow Jones)--Brazil's real weakened in afternoon trading to end well lower Monday against a backdrop of slipping commodities prices and a stronger U.S. dollar globally.

Russia

Extending last week's downtrend, the Russian currency plunged further against the US dollar in New York deals on Monday. The ruble slipped to a new multi-day low of 31.8845 versus the greenback by about 1:55 pm ET, which may be compared to Friday's close of 31.6605.

India

Trading volume in Indian currency and bond markets was hit on Thursday and Friday due to a two-day strike by about 900,000 employees at state-run banks, demanding higher wages and pension. [ID:nBOM486486] Continued...

China

SHANGHAI (Dow Jones)--Dollar gains on international markets after Asian trading hours Friday pushed the yuan down against the U.S. unit Monday. On the over-the-counter market, the dollar ended at CNY6.8344, up from Friday's close of CNY6.8318. It traded between CNY6.8340 and CNY6.8355. The dollar-yuan central parity rate was set at 6.8346, up from 6.8316 Friday. The central parity rate has mainly been set between 6.8300 and 6.8400 since mid-December, effectively repegging the yuan to the U.S. dollar.

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join