It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I Registered Today!!!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Being a frequent contributer to the 9/11 Conspiracies forum I often see a phenomenon there , which probably occurs on other forums as well. A person who has only just registered will land with a thud in the forum and start speaking authoritatively about stuff they don't know anything about.

They will often engender a spate of ill tempered discussion simply because they are acting like a bull in a china shop and frequently because other posters don't take the time to check the date that the new Ferdinand registered on ATS.

I wanted to make a modest proposal.

ATS should, in the interest of curbing the ever present danger of apoplexy in these forums, create a new contribution "level" to be noted in the left margin under the username of the poster. It would be called the "I Registered Today!!!" level.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I don't really think that's needed. I have witnessed new members come into those forums and actually school me about certain subjects.

This goes both ways. No need to induce coding for trollers and newbies who probably won't stay very long because they will get tired of the format.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I don't object two your suggestion, but someone could be new on this forum and know something about one or more topics...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I agree that a newby can be knowledgeable and very often not just a previously banned troll. It's just that very often when I read something that is just completely off the wall authoritarian and also ill informed, I check the registration date of the person and wouldncha know, they registered today.

Maybe I'm just venting.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I think the "Flag Contribution Level" on our mini-profile and the applause/color tag in the extended profile is adequate to judge a members real value to a serious discussion.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I think the "Flag Contribution Level" on our mini-profile and the applause/color tag in the extended profile is adequate to judge a members real value to a serious discussion.

I don't know about the Flag level. Some members simply don't create threads. Someone could be on the board for years and never make a thread and they'd seem like a bad member. As the flag level is based on the flags that your created threads receive.

Someone can also appear valuable when they really just create, "OMG! Iz sahs Obamuhz reel BC!" type threads.

@OP: I don't know if a special tag would be necessary, as we can clearly see when someone registered on the mini-profile.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by octotom]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I don't know about the Flag level. Some members simply don't create threads. Someone could be on the board for years and never make a thread and they'd seem like a bad member. As the flag level is based on the flags that your created threads receive.

Someone can also appear valuable when they really just create, "OMG! Iz sahs Obamuhz reel BC!" type threads.

Agreed, but that is where the applause level(seen in your extended profile) can come into play as well. Also for the most part it is easy to separate counterfeit members from the 'real' members.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think everyone is part of the soup that makes up "us". I admit having been tweaked off at a newly joined member that decides to flex and insult established members. On such occasions, I have to clench my jaw, take a breath and just do an alert on them, rather than lay down the scathing flesh-peeling retort I'd like to do.

Still, even the confrontational folk get it right sometimes. I'm here to learn, and perhaps teach a little on occasion.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

I guess I'm completely useless because I tend to provide considerable technical information in other peoples threads rather than start threads of my own. I suppose bulk pulp fiction is the way to go. I'll get right on it.

Edited to sound more snide.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by dainoyfb]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Er ... no. I see no real value in the "Flag Contribution Level" anymore. We have far to many drama threads here to make this reward system of any use to us.

As for the applause system, this doesnt indicate that someone adds value to a discussion or creates a worthy thread either. They can be given out for winning competitions, helping fellow members, etc. (Can you guess how I got mine, LOL)

As for the new people, I dont think they should have their own label, its a bit insulting in my eyes. Theres probably only a handful of new members that cause trouble [compared to the amount that actually join] and to label them with "I registered today" can be viewed as their opinion doesnt count / matter.

I do understand the frustration here, but there must be another way to resolve it.

Judge people on what they write, not what labels they wear.

JQ.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by John Q]

edit: spelling
and dont judge them on how they spell either lol.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by John Q]

top topics

join