It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

i agree.....however, humans get upset when they are wronged and have every right to.

But the situation may have been different had he been calm..

But we don't know how they were treating him.....they could have instigated his loudness...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The man was arrested because the police were investigating a crime and the subject refused to cooperate and created a disturbance.

Black or white, if you mess with the police, the police can and will mess with you.

How can something so simple be so hard for a Harvard professor to understand?

He was looking for trouble and he got it.

By entering his house he was looking for trouble?

I think not........

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
reply to post by jsobecky

And dont disrespect me I am a soldier and have done more for america than any cop or you.. You know nothing about me. I havent disrespected you at all. Dont judge me because of where im from. I'm a family man who suports a wife and child. I'm NOT some worthless ghetto dweller.

bye

I don't mean to disrespect you. I respect your service to our country, and my respect and condolences for your sister. That must be tough.

You live in Oakland. You didn't create the bad in Oakland, I'm sure. I would think you would be one of the men rebuilding it (and the Raiders) to it's former glory.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

reply to post by jsobecky

And dont disrespect me I am a soldier and have done more for america than any cop or you.. You know nothing about me. I havent disrespected you at all. Dont judge me because of where im from. I'm a family man who suports a wife and child. I'm NOT some worthless ghetto dweller.

bye

I don't mean to disrespect you. I respect your service to our country, and my respect and condolences for your sister. That must be tough.

You live in Oakland. You didn't create the bad in Oakland, I'm sure. I would think you would be one of the men rebuilding it (and the Raiders) to it's former glory.

Totally agree man! You and I have had a misunderstanding it seems. I too agree oakland IS a hell hole. I just took what you said as attacking me. Sorry about that. I just want everyone to know we arent all worthless criminals, gangbangers and drug dealers. We want those SCUM out of our neighorhoods. Them and most rap music for example are corrupting the minds of our young people, its sad. Most of us are hard working people with families though, like yall.

This is unrelated but I just wanna say I'm not a liberal despite being from CA... And I HATE Obama, he isnt my president. I donno who voted for him cause I hardly know anyone who did... I cant STAND Obama...

Anyways now I'm just ranting, lol.

No hard feelings.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I'm glad we could iron out any misunderstanding early on. I would salute you if I saw you in uniform.

I'm on the East Coast. Good luck on the Left Coast...keep in touch.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I know who that is! I recognize him. He's very well known. At the very least, doesn't anyone watch PBS? Sheesh!

African Show

African American Lives he hosts this show where they trace the ancestry of (usually famous) African Americans.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pamie
I know who that is! I recognize him. He's very well known. At the very least, doesn't anyone watch PBS? Sheesh!

African Show

African American Lives he hosts this show where they trace the ancestry of (usually famous) African Americans.

lol yeah I do recognize him now. I dont watch TV but I've seen my wife watching that show.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
By entering his house he was looking for trouble?

No kidding.

What kind of officer has a conversation through the doorway with a suspected burglar in the house they are accused of breaking into?

What?

Sounds to me like this officer wasn't sure if this man actually was a burglar. Otherwise I am assuming he would have been much more forceful and not just attempting to coax the thief out with sweet talk.

I mean come on, the man was in HIS home. I'd be upset if the police knocked on my door late at night and told me to come outside and prove I wasn't a burglar. It's kind of funny to assume that a burglar would even ANSWER the door. Let alone have a conversation through it and not head for the nearest window.

Now I'd show them the ID they wanted because I know the officers are just doing their job but I certainly would be a bit peeved. I can't fault the officer for doing his duty, though. I don't think the officer was out of line. I don't even think he believed this gentleman was a thief.

People tend to get irate when they believe they are in the right. Look at any of the other people we've been reading about on this site that eventually got "tazzed" into submission for not listening to an officers requests. Although some officers actions seemed questionable, for the most part what got the citizen into trouble was their resistive attitude because they felt they were innocent. For the most part they were.

I just wonder why his neighbor panicked, and if she just moved into the block?

They need to have an open house real fast.
Might save this guy some trouble in the future.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It's not just racial profiling that takes place. I live in a predominately white neighborhood, the cops instead profile "suspicious" looking young people. It's a natural byproduct of illogical laws, and a desperate society.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
It's not just racial profiling that takes place. I live in a predominately white neighborhood, the cops instead profile "suspicious" looking young people. It's a natural byproduct of illogical laws, and a desperate society.

I agree. Very true. Ijust live in a all black area pretty much and it does appear as racial profiling. But I agree they profile ALL young people. Hell here even just 3 or 4 young people being together is considered a gang and probable cause for search..

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Racial profiling does exist and I've witnessed it many times in my neighborhood, its disgusting.

The report said that two black men were breaking into a house and when the police arrived that's what they found.

If I were breaking into my own house, which I've had to do, and the police arrived to investigate, I would expect them to assume first that I was committing a crime and I would politely produce evidence to the contrary.

This guy was looking for trouble.

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Charges dropped

here

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I am completely aware that racism is still a problem, but this most clearly was not a problem of racism.

There have been a handful of times when I was locked out of my house and I had to find another way in. I've tried using a credit card or getting in through a window, etc. I would always wonder if anyone was watching me and might call the cops, but none were ever called.

All he had to do was show an ID that proved he lived there and the whole thing would have been over with. Some people just have a chip on there shoulder and want to make a scene because, for some strange reason, they think it vindicates them. Instead, it just makes them look as bad as the ones who really are racist a-wads.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
video.google.com...#
Here he is being interviewed and he seems to be part of the problem. He's all about racially charged rhetoric.
Note the part where he says to the interviewer,"I know what we (the intrviewer is a black man) think about the (Obama) speech, but what does white America think".
I don't know about the rest of you but when I hear a speech, even as far back as Nixon, the last thing on my mind was how will (insert ethnicity)
think differently from me about this.
Not to say the cops are innocent, I've had my fill of unwarranted beatdowns, but I wasn't there for this one and wanted to share something about this man with the thread.
That is to say, I can see him being tired, upset at being locked out and now the friggin' cops want to harass me attitude, can't say I'd have behaved much better than he.
Lets hope both sides come to theair senses, shake hands and walk away a bit more enlightened.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This has been going on for a long time. Cops profile everyone.

Black folks indeed still have it really bad. They are usually treated as criminals by law enforcement regardless of what is going down.

However, it is not just black people, it is all minorities and poor white people get included in that group as well.

Police profile long haired "hippies" just as often, and arrest them in the same unfair manner.

When my hair is long, I am treated differently and I know how black folks feel to have people watch them like they are criminals. They watch me too simply because sometimes I let my hair grow out a bit.

This kind of crap needs to come to and end. I hate prejudice profiling of anyone!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I guarantee the Black man wasn't cooperative and he probably was cursing at them too. You know how They can't act civilized. He was probably getting all into some Obama speech also.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

A cop many times relies on a fleeting, partial, incomplete description of a perp.

How in the world can they do their jobs without profiling?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

He was looking for trouble and he got it.

Yea right on!! A 60 year old, 5'7, 150 pound Harvard Professor got exactly what he deserves!! Which is what exactly?? Oh yea I forgot he talked back to massa.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

The report said that two black men were breaking into a house and when the police arrived that's what they found.

I guess that they didn't see the Limo/Town car parked outside of the Professor's home, because that is what the other black guy was driving, seeing that Gates just arrived home from doing a documentary in China called " Faces of America" (go figure). Did you bother to even read the whole story before you passed judgment??

The professor was soooo unruly in fact that the charges against him were dropped and the city of Cambridge called the arrest "regrettable and unfortunate."

Sounds like your typical Jack boot officer, but oh yea I forgot, on this site it is only TYRANNY when it happens to someone white.

www.theroot.com...

[edit on 21-7-2009 by canihavemyvoteback]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Just look at the Yahoo photo. Look at him with his mouth wide open all hollering and stuff. You know he was acting like a fool. Look at the Black Police Man. He looks like he is embarrassed by the fool's actions. He is probably thinking to himself, ''that fool needs to shut up and control his drinking.''

How did stupid Henry get in the back door? Why couldn't he get in the front door? He wasn't arrested for anything other than being a loud-mouthed fool and harassing the Police. Did you notice that? He got himself arrested for acting like a fool and protesting Police work. This is the best Harvard can do?!

Henry says he is an African-American. Oh really. When he visits Africa is he then an American-Africn? Is he proud to be an American? Or is he just proud to run his mouth and stir up trouble like a fool. Black people need to take notice of the fact that Americans live in America and call themselves Americans. I am not a Germanic-American. I am American. This sort of divisive behavior is what makes the rest of America think the Blacks are scheming on some anti-American Black Nationalist Communist type crap.

Look in the mirror, Black Man. It is YOU! Stop acting foolish and get yourself together.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by THX-1138]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join